Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CobiWann posted:

while I set in a panel about "what do you consider canon" and tried very hard not to strangle someone who said School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival.

I hope that someone did a Who themed version of Shatner's infamous Saturday Night Live sketch and then stormed out of the room at that panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I just started watching classic Who using suggestions in the first post.

100,000 BC was OK but dragged on
The Mutants (not suggested) had way too much padding with leaving the city/going back/etc.
Tomb of the Cybermen was excellent except for silly looking and difficult to understand Cybermen, I like Two a lot
Spearhead from Space not bad, but apparently no Tardis adventures = what's the point. Three is good though.
Robots of Death was surprisingly good, I would say intriguing more than scary. Four was fun. "Jelly Babies?" made me LOL.
City of Death (not suggested but everyone was recommending it recently) Well executed, especially with Glover being in all time streams at once.
Kinda I hate Adric too, almost to the point where I'd avoid any episode with him. Celery stick distracting.

So favorite Doctors so far would be Two and Four respectively. Best companion is obviously Romana.

Any suggestions on what to watch next?

Since you like Troughton you need to watch Enemy of the World which is fantastic. Sadly, he's the Doctor who suffers the most from missing episodes with a lot of his best stories missing and most of the ones that survive are not very good. Web of Fear is nifty but one episode is missing. I enjoy Seeds of Death. The War Games is the biggest surviving Doctor Who epic, but at ten episodes it does go on a bit too long.

To give you a better taste of Pertwee, I'm going to recommend watching The Sea Devils. It's not his best story, but it's gloriously over the top.

Tom Baker is easier to recommend episodes for. Genesis of the Daleks is a must watch. The Brain of Morbius, Horror of Fang Rock, and Pyramids of Mars are also a lot of fun.

And if you hate Adric, then you need to watch Earthshock.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Well, if you somehow really enjoyed Philip Martin's teleplays for Vengeance on Varos and Mindwarp, I recommend against listening to (or reading, I suppose) Mission to Magnus, which is literally about an evil matriarchy with psychic powers and a hive-mind, who keep men in underground tunnels and use Orwellian mind programming. In the end, the men they're at war with inform them they are going to be wives, and when the women react in horror, the men chuckle at all the sex they are going to have with them. As if that weren't enough, the story pads itself with a bully renegade Timelord who barely features in the story, the return of everyone's favorite capitalist slug, Sil, and the Ice Warriors (entirely stripped of any nuance they may have attained in the Pertwee years).

:yikes:

It's one of the most embarrassing messages I've seen "subtly" encoded into science fiction. We should all be very, very glad that Michael Grade's unfair grudge against Doctor Who caused the hiatus.

I've only listened to maybe twenty audios and kept away from the books, but that was the single worst Doctor Who story I have ever encountered. It would have been terrible and horrifyingly sexist if it had been produced in the 80's as an actual television story, today it's even worse.

cargohills posted:

It's definitely the best Colin Baker story, and honestly it's one of my favourite classic Doctor Who stories overall.

Yeah, it's the only Colin Baker television story that someone could make a reasonable argument for being actually good. I think it's a really solid effort that's a bit rough around the edges.

I really do like the character of Sil, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ, Vengeance really was the exception that proves the rule - everything else Martin writes seems to incorporate some kind of really creepy sexual fetish.

I think his later stories makes it clear that Vengeance really wasn't the exception there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Anyone got a favorite reconstruction? Mine's The Macra Terror, it really is scary sometimes (and I'm usually not scared by Who at all) and moves well. It is to my great shame that I have only watched the first episode of Troughton's inaugural episode.

I know it's the cliche obvious answer, but Power of the Daleks is so good even in just audio form.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

qntm posted:

There's a duplicate Earth, almost identical to the first, with almost exactly the same people living on it and a very similar history. The Doctor lands there by accident about one time in four. He hasn't noticed yet.

Everyone knows that. Eventually UNIT becomes the Cybermen, after all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

THE MYTH MAKERS (recon only, sadly)

This was the most unwatchable reconstruction for me. It's clearly a good episode, but effectively no materials from it exist and they just used the same three pictures over and over instead of supplementing things to make it watchable. If you're going to do that then I might as well just play the audio and not even look.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked "The Web Planet" but nobody else did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"You appeared to Leda as a swan, you appear to me as an old beggar"

The Myth Makers is pretty fun

If you like the Doctor in ancient Greece stuff then definitely check out The Time Monster. People tend to either love it or hate it. I liked it for the first few episodes, then they go back and time and it becomes fantastic. It's one of the goofier stories, but one that's being playful about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Since joining Hulu+ I've dug into their classic Who archive- I'm 2/3rds of the way through the E-Space trilogy, and okay, State of Decay is why everyone hates Adric, right?

His introductory story makes him seem normal enough, then he's like "hmm, immortality and all the blood I can drink? Sure!" I know it's another universe and all, cultural mores are different, but drat that's dumb.

When I was a kid watching the show and Adric turned up I knew things were going downhill. Adding a kid (well, teenager in this case) to the cast to appeal to the youngsters was always a sign that a show had turned rotten (this being about ten years before the term "jump the shark" became in vogue). And then Adric was a horrible character, essentially the Westley Crusher of Doctor Who. It was like a double whammy of terribleness.

Oh, since you're watching on Hulu+, you will want to flip over to Amazon Prime Instant Video for Earthshock at the appropriate point. You don't want to skip that one.

Anyhoo, I purchased The Wrong Doctors in that Big Finish sale last week and I've got to say that it's not quite my favorite multi-Doctor story, but it is one of the best of them. That was a lot of fun even if I feel like it didn't really hold together toward the end...

• Locked thread