Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll repeat what I said at the end of the last thread: "Rose" and the first season of the revival more generally (although I recognise that, by a number of subjective measures, it probably isn't as good as seasons four or five) have a special status in my eyes. I was born a couple of years after the classic series reached its end, but I'd been into Doctor Who since I was 10 or 11 thanks to a mixture of omnibus reruns on UK Gold, the first handful of BBC DVD releases, and even some of the BBC Books line (War of the Daleks by John Peel was the first one I read, and my introduction to the character of the Eighth Doctor); I remember getting a book token at school prize day in 2004 and using it for this great big episode guide called Doctor Who: The Legend, and I remember thinking it would be amazing if the series came back. Then, all of a sudden, it actually did! And better yet, as far as my 13 1/2 year-old self was concerned, it was for me! I've never had a "my Doctor" in the same way that some have, but the first season of the revival is and probably always will be my series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

I'd seen her in The Canterbury Tales (currently available on a popular video-sharing website), so no, it wasn't a surprise at all. IIRC, Outpost Gallifrey was split about 30/30/40 between "OMG it's Bonnie Langford all over again", "STFU she's great she was an actor before she was a pop star", and "Actually I'm more concerned about whether they're going to credit the lead actor as 'Doctor Who' or 'The Doctor'".

Around the time, I was chiefly concerned by my discovery that they wouldn't be doing four-part 25-minute serials. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, why did the Doctor (it was in his TARDIS, after all!) just happen to have that Time Lord bondage gear lying around? :v:

I recall reading that Fox passed on turning this into a series in favour of renewing Sliders for a third season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The movie also has one of the best DVD commentary tracks (the one with McGann, McCoy and Nick Briggs).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Saw Peter mulling about the building earlier in costume, bad news everyone: that shirt we all disliked is making a return.

Oh, no. Not the speckled one they nicked from Noel Edmonds's wardrobe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One criticism I remember being raised about "Night" (in the previous thread, I think, or maybe the one before it) is that it turned the Eighth Doctor into a coward. I think I can see that, but at the same time, I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing. Indeed, it calls back to what I think is one of the best moments of Eccleston's season, when he's facing the Dalek Emperor in "The Parting of the Ways":

Dalek Emperor posted:

Then prove yourself, Doctor. What are you? Killer or coward?

The Doctor posted:

Coward. Any day.

Really, "The Parting of the Ways" is probably where the Time War should've been left to finish. It should've been the Doctor coming to terms with what he did in the Time War, but we kept going back to it. I understand why they did, of course, but that's the way it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Adams's season as script editor was disappointing on the whole. "City" holds it up a lot; it's probably no coincidence that it's the one he was most directly involved in writing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Battlefield" is a story that should have been great. Judging from the info text on the DVD release, a lot of scenes that would have clarified the action ended up being cut. I'm also given to understand (though I lack the technical knowledge to credit the claim) that it wasn't very well directed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Yes, this is entirely fair. I find it hard to dislike much from McCoy's run as he was MY Doctor, but even with that in mind I agree that a lot of the grief Battlefield gets is perhaps a bit unfair. You get the Brig, you get Bessie, you get the Brig standing off against a nigh immortal beastie with his revolver (twice) and you get an extra Brigadier played by the female Dave Lister. Also it isn't Silver Nemesis, which surely is worth a lot of points.

The last two McCoy seasons are two of the strongest in the entire history of the series. Those two seasons have "Remembrance", "The Happiness Patrol", "The Greatest Show In the Galaxy", "Ghost Light", "The Curse of Fenric" and "Survival". Although I think it has flaws, I feel that "Battlefield" is a pretty good serial; "Silver Nemesis" is the only one that isn't entirely up to scratch but, with the exception of "Paradise Towers", it's better than most of season 24.

Edit: Also, I never realised that Bambera was played by the female Dave Lister. I feel like I should have done.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

"Hold on, I thought that Mark Gatiss chap was the Doctor now..."

No joke; I was listening to the radio in the run-up to the 50th anniversary and everyone on whatever show it was (something on Radio 2, I think) seemed to think Russell T Davies was still the head writer. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Giants, dragons...what other mystical creatures come from Wales?

The Legendary Killer Leek.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

His narration for the old Lee and Herring show "Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World" was pretty great as well, although in contrast to Little Britain he apparently told them that some of the stuff they wanted him to say was TOO horrible and wouldn't do it. And his narration for Hostile Waters is great as well.

Basically yes, Tom is great.

He performed the voice of Death / the narrator for MediEvil: Resurrection (the PSP remake of the MediEvil game which was actually good) as well. Making that game comedic was a good idea.

CobiWann posted:

There's a Game of Thrones joke in here somewhere...Queen of the North? She is Scottish...

Nicola Sturgeon hasn't really said much about her thoughts on Doctor Who as far as I'm aware. Probably has a "IT'S SCOTLAND'S DOCTOR" campaign ready and waiting to go, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

When they brought Rassilon back for the Time War, he eliminated his lock on the eternal life power so that he could grant it to the Master, and the Time Lords later used it on the Doctor too.

It was within the Time Lords' power to do that already; that was the reward they promised the Master for helping them in "The Five Doctors".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I have a Belfast accent which makes me sound like an untrustworthy criminal, a terrorist or possibly a crooked human rights lawyer who is an apologist for terrorists (like all people from Northern Ireland). I've been thinking of going in for speech therapy to correct it. Either that or get Sir Kenneth to share his antidote with me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 14, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm honestly not sure if we have public schools over on this side of the Irish Sea. They're usually categorised as "Protestant", "Catholic" and "Integrated" as far as I'm aware.

I went to a grammar school myself. It suited me fine, but I understand some people don't like them. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I went to Harrow's day school. :smith:

I went to a prep school myself. I understand I'm supposed to feel bad and/or guilty about it, but I liked it well enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Night Terrors" wasn't bad, but it doesn't stand out for me as much in retrospect. I think "The God Complex" is my favourite episode from the back half of season six.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I think you mean "Jesus H. Bidmead".

No, no, no, it's "Jesus H. Christopher Eccleston".

You know, from Russell T Davies's popular BBC drama serial Second Coming?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seasons six and seven both had good individual episodes let down by weakish season arcs. I sort of feel the same about season eight, but I think it was less of a story arc than a character arc for Twelve.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

JNT apparently commited some sexual assaults whilst drunk :smith:

A prerequisite to working at the BBC in the 1970s, if the present litigation is any indication.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Happy Ed Balls Day, by the way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He should come over here, stand for parliament. There's still time. If he won, next week we might have a hung parliament with a Weiner and Balls.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read that. It's a shame it was never finished, it was good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Web Planet" is one I actually really enjoy, though a lot of people seem to dislike it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My brother hadn't heard of John Hurt and thought "John Hurt" was the Doctor's real name. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, they got way too excited that they could set a Doctor Who spin off in a world where sex exists. They really didn't seem to have any idea of what to do with that.

It was doubly disappointing because it's not like Russell T Davies wanted for experience doing adult drama before Torchwood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

It's not heavily implied, he straight up succeeds. It's off-screen, but he rapes her, and if I remember right he rapes her boyfriend too, and the whole thing is written breezily like it's all a bunch of good fun. It's utterly abhorrent and poisoned the character for me beyond any hope... and that was before he continued to be an awfully written and frustratingly realized character.

I remember everyone was impressed when it was announced that every main character on Torchwood (and this was in 2006, mind) would be open to relationships with both sexes. I didn't watch the series on its first broadcast but I can only imagine it was disappointing that it turned out to be a bit tacky on that feature.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah the episode with the alien sex ghost wasn't at all tacky

"You travel millions of light-years looking for the best sex in the universe, still end up dying alone."

Real tear in the eye, lump in the throat stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the story about the lesbian alien sex ghost was exactly as tasteless as it would have been if it were a straight alien sex ghost.

It wasn't exactly a lesbian alien sex ghost; Gwen kisses her because she's under the influence of its pheremones, but it says it can only obtain the sustenance it needs by consuming male orgasm energy.

(Why do I know this? :cripes:)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty sure Mark Millar also wrote a comic where a supervillain obtains reality warping powers, and defeats one of his enemies by going backwards in time and molesting them when they were a child.

Yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

My high school english teacher showed us Zefirelli's Romeo & Juliet.... needless to say, most of the guys in the class were enthusiastic about it.
(There is nudity in it.)

We watched Sir Kenneth's version of Much Ado About Nothing, which starts with Don Pedro's party arriving and everyone immediately stripping off and running into the showers. Nothing explicit, mind you, but maybe a bit more than anyone was expecting first thing on a Monday morning.

Gaz-L posted:

Not just American. I got them in 4th year English here in the UK too.

(For the 'read the play aloud' stuff we didn't do that for Shakespeare. We did it for Tennessee Williams instead. Me, the girl who 'played' Blanche and the girl from Glass Menagerie and the one dude in our class who was super-into theatre were the only ones who tried the accents)

AS and A-level English are a bit mixed up for me now, but among the various set works we studied, I remember doing The Glass Menagerie and The Great Gatsby, and we were all quite amused that Sam Waterston played Tom in the former and Nick in the latter.

We also got to do Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, which everybody else in class hated but I quite liked (I was already familiar with Doyle, though, so maybe I just knew what to expect).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Love and Monsters" is more enjoyable when you realise it's about Doctor Who fans and the villain is Ian Levine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

So of course, Levine goes on Twitter and makes fun of the kid.

I recently watched BBC 4's northern soul documentary from last year, and it's become quite clear to me that Levine probably owes most of his worldly success to the fact that he has a rich dad who could afford to take him on holiday to America every year and buy him a tea-chest full of soul 45s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

SICK TO HIS STOMACH

LOWER THAN A COCKROACH

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Doctor and Peri don't really do anything in "Revelation of the Daleks" either, do they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Forge are also shoved in at the end of "No Man's Land" as a somewhat forced twist. By implication, they also tie-in a bit to Hex's backstory as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And he got into it as an adult (Baker was born in 1943 in the middle of an air raid) so he may very well have had at least some idea of how he would play the Doctor for close to 20 years before he actually got the part.

Which really makes it all the more depressing that he ended up saddled with Pip & Jane, Eric Saward, JNT at the height of his disinterest, and Michael Grade having it in for him personally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the day I was born, the number -one song was "Bohemian Rhapsody", because it was re-released after Freddie Mercury died. The number-one album was Greatest Hits II by Queen. I have no idea what the number-one song was when I finished school: one of these ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of enjoy The Blues Brothers more than Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a bit in Watership Down where one of the rabbits gets run over by a train? I know there's a bit where the rabbit played by John Hurt gets shot, but I've not seen it since I was little myself. At that age, like most :spergin:, I was mainly into Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.*

My mum likes the Art Garfunkel song (which was written by Mike Batt, I was surprised to learn recently).

* Does anyone else think David Cameron looks sort of like Henry the Green Engine?

• Locked thread