Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Plenty of established fans felt the same way about Deep Breath. Listen might be a decent introductory episode for someone who wants to start in the Capaldi era, since it's pretty much self-contained outside of the Clara/Danny stuff which really only got started in that episode anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I moved to America to get married and my wife got me a kettle as a birthday present :)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Now that you've indicated how close to the beginning you are get ready for a bunch of smug not-spoilery spoilers about that thread!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Toxx is almost at The Wedding Of River Song :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Everyone was spoiled at the time because she'd been announced as the next companion before she first appeared in the Dalek episode, but then an advantage of watching these episodes later is not being exposed to all that press stuff. I definitely say keep him in the dark on that.

Wow, that thread is almost on the home stretch at this point. The next, what, 16 episodes, go up to Matt Smith's last episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Red phone boxes aren't obsolete, in the sense that there's a bunch of them around still. I was briefly convinced that the one at the end of Dark Water was a Tardis when someone said there isn't actually a red phone box there in real life, because putting a red phone box into a scene for no reason is the action of a madman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As someone with a sparse-at-best acquaintanceship with the old show, I'm occasionally overjoyed to find out something I thought was a random collection of words is a reference. Like in Time Of The Doctor, when he produces the Seal of the High Council and says "I nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone" and he's describing events that took place in an actual episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

from the toxx thread

Mooseontheloose posted:

Let's be real J-Ru the worst episode Moffat wrote is coming up and is The Time of the Doctor and was an awful regeneration episode which makes it double worse.
I won't hear this sacrilege, Time Of The Doctor isn't even in the same league as The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe. Though I think the worst episode Moffat wrote was Angels Take Manhattan personally.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

"everybody lives" is a bit of a recurring thing for Moffat. The Angels in Blink killed you by making you live somewhere else, everyone in the Library episodes got backed up to the computer, The Big Bang restored everything including Rory who'd died in a whole other episode, etc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I think having Clara come back for another season is a mistake. That christmas special was the perfect goodbye to the character, with a lovely tacked on ending that wait, its not goodbye after all!

Bringing her back opens up the possibility that when she does leave it won't be the most tragic tearjerker possible. I'm getting fed up of companions being written out that way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It wasn't shoehorned at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yeah. That was a thing that happened.

And the key was never Clara herself, but the Doctor. We see him vanish from the Sled, waking up, and then he goes and finds Clara and all that implies from there. So thanks to the hastily added twist, all of those other people are implied to still be head crab fodder. Sucks to be them!
We also see the Doctor and Clara together absent any other characters at the start of the episode, implying that they have a separate level of dreamstate just to themselves, if the old Clara dream being a Christmas gift from Santa to push them back together isn't good enough for you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think the point was that he had that lunchbox (was it a lunchbox? I forgot) lying around and used it to hide the memory worm in, and babbled about the London Underground map because Rule One The Doctor Babbles, and also to retroactively set up the Great Intelligence in earlier episodes.

To answer your later question, The Snowmen was actually good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When Rory first saw it he just looked around calmly and went "oh, it's another dimension".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He didn't figure out she was the same person from Asylum Of The Daleks until the end of the episode, before then she was just someone who made an impression. "Fell in love" is a bit strong but they certainly bonded.

I've seen Moffat get stick for his companions having some secret or mystery that makes then special rather than just being people who come along, but I liked how it turned out the mystery around Clara was because she'd jumped into the Doctor's time stream and she was otherwise totally ordinary. In the end what made her "special" was being a good person who did something brave to save her friend.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HD DAD posted:

You can thank Jenna Coleman for changing her mind about leaving at the very last second for that fake-out.

For a Christmas special it works so much better as a dream that brings them back together.

Still, if you want a dark and sad ending, the final shot of the episode is a tangerine, hinting that they're still in the dream forever!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh my God! They killed Clara!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They took the safeguards off so the Tardis could telepathically take Clara to when she had the ankle-grabbing dream, but because she was thinking about Danny they ended up in Danny's childhood. The Doctor dropped her off and tried to find the time she'd had the dream by himself, and the Tardis took him to someone connected with Clara's timeline, Orson Pink at the end of the universe. When the equipment started going screwy and the Doctor got knocked out Clara used the telepathic thing to try to get them away, and as a result the Tardis took them to somewhere connected with the Doctor, the barn or whatever he slept in when he was a kid. She hid under the child Doctor's bed when he was waking up so he wouldn't see her and when he got out of bed she reflexively grabbed his ankle, ultimately causing the Doctor's fear of the dark which was what was actually behind the events of the episode all along.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Wouldn't that be like a trapdoor spider or any of the numerous animals that look like their surroundings?

Or the weeping angels or the Silence for that matter!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

He's always pretty excited when he finds something he doesn't already know all about, and he's open minded to the possibility that unlikely new things could exist, like vampires (that turn out to be space fish). So it isn't out of character for him to explore the idea that there might be invisible things all around us. 12 doesn't delight in the unknown the way 11 did, so he's worried rather than excited.

Except . . . either there was nothing there and he freaked out about a kid playing a prank and unconsciously wrote on the chalkboard himself without noticing, or there really was something there at least some of the time, and he just walked away from it.

There was nothing there. Finally, an episode without a monster.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It took me ages to realise that the Doctor saying "are you my mummy?" was actually quite a clever ref because the mummy in that episode was in a very similar situation to the Empty Child. Layers upon layers!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The REAL end of S8 is the Christmas special, more than most previous series.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

I'll never enjoy an episode that would have been exactly the same if our heroes had just staid home and took a nap.

What's the point of including the main characters if that's the case?

Character development, an entertaining story, the idea that they potentially disrupted something that would have gone just fine if they hadn't butted in, et cetera. They saved that one astronaut, so some good came of them being there at least.

Edit:

quote:

If Clara and the Doctor hadn't been there the people of Earth would have blown up the moon instead of letting the space dragon hatch
Actually I think all the astronauts would have died and the space dragon would have hatched anyway.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 25, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You must hate Listen too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yes.

And Midnight affected the Doctor deeply and shook him to his core- he was helpless, but his presence still mattered.

Forest? No body was affected at all. We just learned that Clara is a lovely human being and very spiteful when pissed off, which amounted to dick all.

Moon? The only one who was affected at all was Clara which got swept under the rug in the very next episode.

The astronaut whose life they saved could also be said to have been affected by the events of that episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

If she ever comes back or becomes important or if anything happens because of her specifically sure I'll give you that.

Otherwise woohoo. A character who might as well of been nameless for all the impression she left was maybe affected by the dragoning of the moon.

Only more likely she just went to bed afterwards because gently caress it, new moon, might as well be a reset button. We already had the big 'moment that inspired humans to go into space' in Waters of Mars.

Saving people only matters if they're important. That's basically the essence of Doctor Who.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yep that's what I meant entirely.

Clearly narrative importance for us as viewers and importance within the fictional universe are the exact same thing.

Ace job there champ.

The narrative importance for the viewers is not knowing how it's going to turn out and character development, both of which Kill The Moon has. First time you watch it anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I haven't watched the film (apart from the actual nuclear attack bit which is incredibly nightmarish) but based on the book I'd easily put it on the level of Watership Down, which BY THE WAY

That little green triangle with a U means the film was rated "Universal: suitable for all ages" by someone who I guess hated children.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Farthing Wood cartoon got painfully neutered as it went on. When it got to adapting the final novel where the park gets attacked by an army of rats the rat characters were all cute buffoons :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Novels are usually better than the films that they're based on for me, but actually some of the few exceptions are with Roald Dahl.

If you asked me about which Chocolate Factory I thought was better, the original Gene Wilder movie or the novel, I'd actually have difficulty trying to answer. The book has a lot of really cool stuff that isn't in the movie, but the film just feels more focused and has more heart.

Similarly, I probably like Matilda better as a book, but the actors in the film were so genuine about the whole thing, and the ending of the movie feels like a better fit for me than the novel's, which is kind of about how being respected and treated like an adult has its pitfalls and stresses, and just feels a little sad.

I love the BFG movie, except for the terrible songs. I'm a grown up and still scared of the Fleshlumpeater.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

If The Doctor was on another planet how did he communicate in real time with everyone millions or billions or trillions of miles away?

A wizard did it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

[said while giggling] you should wait as long as possible before watching series five

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Not... quite, no.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Yes yes yes, I hate this scene and every time Moffat goes and mettles with past stories. Even if he were still talented and capable of coherent, original and engaging stories with well written, well rounded characters it would be disgusting. He has actually framed himself as the entire reason the Doctor exist as he does, which is horseshit from a character perspective. Hartnell was a loveable selfish old man who was interested in himself, his granddaughter and occasionally a few other people, and over time grew into an adventurer who would stand up for the little guy. It wasn't until Troughton that he declared himself the enemy of evil everywhere, and even then he killed occasionally. For Moffat to go back and shove his convoluted half thought out trash into the core of the character is a disservice to the entire show.

That's why I don't accept the modern series as anything more than fan fiction (apart from season one) which occasionally puts out a good story worthy of the title. And when I'm getting all worked up over the plight of the show I remember there are lots of classic stories and good audios I've yet to watch and listen to, and I chill out.
This is dumb, Clara didn't make the Doctor the way he is she repaired the damage the Great Intelligence did, keeping him the way he is. I kind of view Listen the same way; she accidentally meddled in the Doctor's past by grabbing his foot and tried to damage control by telling him not to be scared.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Not the case at all, except for when he was already aware of them. Remember when we all had to go a season watching him moan about how sad it was that Donna only got a single special?

Remember when he thought Matt Smith's first episode would be Journey's End?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was idly reading back through the 2013 Christmas special thread and found this post:

Vitamin P on page 20 posted:

I just found a sheet of paper in a drawer from a few years ago, when I was babysitting a mates kids, and we wrote down Doctor Who episode ideas because they were mad into it at the time. Most were kind of dull but You can't go up or down even stairs, The moon is an egg and All the egyptians *illegible*, could have legs.
They stole your idea Vitamin P!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat has said that's going to be revealed this season, along with the reason that Twelve looks like the Roman dude Capaldi also played.

So... Wait and see I guess .

I didn't think any of that would come up again. I've got my fingers crossed if Moffat is really having another go at a Silence style multi-series arc which might actually have a chance of paying off properly now that he seems to have stopped loving up the entire production of the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm prepared to be cautiously optimistic about where it's all going. And yeah, Moffat's capable of leaving well enough alone when he knows he should. I remember people being mad when it seemed like he was going to give the Doctor a name but of course that was only ever going to end up with "his name is the Doctor". I'd be really surprised if Listen cropped back up ever again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm rewatching Death In Heaven and I'm slightly annoyed that the Doctor has to activate Danny's Cyberman inhibitor thing to find out the big plan, and there's no line about why he can't just ask one of the other 175 Cybermen milling around in the scene. I guess they're too degraded and rotted to be able to do much other than follow orders and kill, but a line to that effect would have been nice. The Master also kind of just stands around and does nothing while Danny is giving his big speech. It doesn't really matter I suppose and I love that scene otherwise, but it'd be nice if it was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The good thing about Forest is that it doesn't really progress the overall story in any way (Danny finds out Clara is still palling around with the Doctor, which he basically already had done in the previous episode) so it can be safely skipped if you're rewatching. Or just watching for the first time, even.

• Locked thread