Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

whatsabattle posted:

You've been doing the thread up a bit!

I don't like it.

New teeth.

That's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Cobi, J-ru, didn't one of you review Engines of War, the War Doctor book? I've just finished it and wanted to see what others thought.

I read it too and thought it was fantastic. Gave me everything I wanted to see about the Time War, Rassilon, and the Daleks. Also made me want more War Doctor adventures.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Not to mention the Thals!

I want to see the part of the Time War where the Time Lords tried to stop the Kaleds and the Thals won the war and became as bad as the Daleks, a bunch of blond, blue eyed jack booted thugs conquering the universe. :allears:

You know that happened a few hundred times at least.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Who remembers the Doctor Who Programme Guide? Well, they're making the New Who Programme Guide, featuring everything (and I do mean everything, including prequels and mini-episodes) from the Eighth Doctor to the debut of the Twelfth Doctor.

This was such a classic. In the age of the internet, it's a bit redundant, but in the 80s to a new fan that and Doctor Who Illustrated A - Z were invaluable.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

Yes, Maera Soir and After the War got to sit with Sylvester McCoy and Terry Malloy for drinks, while I set in a panel about "what do you consider canon" and tried very hard not to strangle someone who said School Reunion was the worst episode of the revival.

Please tell me somebody trolled them by bringing up Looms. :allears:

How was the Big Finish presence and conversation there? Is it becoming a part of mainstream fandom or is it still really fringe stuff that's barely talked about?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

For a fan in the 90s, the TV movie was huge. I'd started watching on PBS in the 80s, I was already a fan for a few years before it was cancelled in 89, and I'd latched onto the NAs to get my fix. Never dreamed it would come back.

In those days before the internet, I remember being shocked they got so much right. Having McCoy back was huge--a massive unspoiled thing I was not expecting. I'd gone into it thinking it would be a pure Americanized reboot that would suck, so my expectations were low. Also think a bit to the bar of 90s genre tv and tv in general and you can see it was actually pretty drat good. They also got a lot of the tropes right: the Police Box, two hearts, Master, Daleks, Time Lords. The half human stuff caused me to sperg a bit, as did the kissing (which seems tame nowadays when the line is so much more blurred on the idea of Doctor/Companion romance).

One thing which you don't touch upon in your review is how the TARDIS interior redesign paved the way for the expansive console rooms of the revival. Now we think nothing of it, but it was a big deal at the time. I was a bit put off by it, as I'd expected white roundels and this was Wrong. I'm sure there was much controversy on Usenet or wherever fans spoke online at the time. From hindsight it seems like a correct and wise choice on the part of the producers and set designers to upgrade the interior.

At the time I was very disappointed that they didn't bring it back, but when I read about the plans for the Ulysses stuff which would have completely thrown out the old canon, I was glad. I'm always leery of shows and their relationship to canon because of stuff like this: if I invest in a universe and it's history I expect it to be consistent, and the reality is most tv producers don't care. They care more now, as a lot of fans are making shows and the ones that aren't can see the value in retaining fans with proper canon, but 20 years ago not so much.

I could countenance the idea that they'd throw out the NAs because of the Roddenberry rule that Books Aren't Canon. But for them to rewrite the history of what we'd seen on the old show for some dumb new mythology rankled me. It's funny, because that aborted series' relation to canon was the polar opposite of the 2005 revival: the former disguised itself at first as a direct continuation, with a clear link to the last Doctor, Daleks, history, etc but over time would have thrown most of that stuff out or ignored it in favor of a true rebooted universe. RTD's show on the other hand came in with no clear links to the old show. It was a long time before we knew onscreen that this was, without a doubt, the same universe and history and not just a reboot which had some of the same tropes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From a few pages back, but that Big Finish NA news is good. I'm a bit disappointed Gatiss isn't doing the adaptation of Nightshade, but it is one of the best NAs, a real love letter to 60s scifi tv. I am particularly looking forward to seeing who they get to play Nightshade/Edmund Trevithick himself. It should be an iconic actor. It would have been perfect if Peter Cushing were still alive...

All Consuming Fire is another great one. It should be a fantastic audio.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

I figure the limit probably came about because Holmes needed a reason for the Master to be all skeleton-y when he came back in The Deadly Assassin and that was the first thing he thought of. Then later he realized that Five was the last regeneration, under his own rules, and so he decided to address it.

DId he really though? Like I realize that he's mentioned that before, but was JNT involved in that process or was it all Holmes headcannon or something?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

I started Assassin in the Limelight today and realized I juuuuust missed hearing it on the 150th anniversary of the day it takes place :(

Also, the accents. Good God, the accents.

I'm in the middle of Worldwide Web, a 2009 audio which takes place in the Near Future of 2015, where a space probe is lost on a mission to Mercury.

http://www.space.com/29128-nasa-messenger-mercury-mission-death-plunge.html

:aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

As someone who has like 40 or so Target books, I would pay cash money for those. Especially if someone did a Target writing style novelization of the modern episodes. (ie written by Terrance Dicks)

Also, it appears Stephen Moffat saved us from a lovely Hollywood Doctor Who movie:
http://io9.com/sony-really-wanted-to-make-that-doctor-who-movie-1698484644

quote:

The plans for Doctor Who were put in an email sent in January [2014] from Andrea Wong, president of International Production for Sony, to the company's chief executive Michael Lynton.

The email says: "[Danny Cohen, the Director of BBC Television] said that while there has been tremendous interest (and pressure from [BBC Worldwide]) to do a Dr Who film, the show runners feel very clear that they don't want to do one at this moment.

"That said, over the course of the coming months, the show running team is coming up with an 8 year timeline for the brand – laying out all that will happen with it.

"He says that a film will certainly be a part of that timeline. So the answer is that a film won't happen in the next year to 18 months, but it is expected that it will happen after that within the 8 year horizon.'

Lynton's response was: "Sounds like we need to meet with the show runners."

A follow up email from Wong reads: "Spoke to Danny and he doesn't think it makes sense right now and actually might hurt our cause.

"He said that the creative team on the show have been having the movie conversation with BBC Worldwide in recent weeks and are very hot under the collar that their position on it is not being listened to or accepted."

Nice to know that the showrunners of a "mere" tv franchise have enough juice to put a wrench into film plans. That typically hasn't been the case in the entertainment industry in the past.

The split between BBC Worldwide and BBC Television over the status of movies and tv reminds me a lot of the Star Trek movie/tv rights being split between two studios, though I'm sure it's a bit different then that. It muddies the waters of having a coherent film and tv franchise with CBS and Paramount in the mix, and I'm sure it's no easier with Doctor Who since the two entities seem very separate.

But good on the Moff for keeping things coherent and planned. You may not like his plans, but at least he has them and has the best interests of the fans as his intentions. Reading some of the Sony stuff about Marvel is frustrating. It once again shows movie execs have zero clue or care about canon, fans, stories, characters, etc. It amazes me that the top people of an industry who have worked in it for decades can be so out of touch.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 18, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

Don't know if anyone's interested, but Big Finish put a good bit of the early Blake's 7 stuff on permanent sale (like the early Who main range releasses) to make room for new stuff in the warehouse.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/blake-s-7-at-big-finish

After Daredevil, this is next on my list to sit down and watch. The episodes are all on Youtube now and I can watch it on my big screen - all the sci-fi of Doctor Who with half the budget!

Same. I watched most of B7 when I was a kid, but I want to commit to going back and rewatching at least S1 before ordering those era audios. I'm looking forward to it because the actors are great and this is recent era BF so I'm sure they're all awesome stories.

But I've only been able to sit down and watch a few episodes. There's not enough hours in the day!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

These prices are stupidly cheap! :haw:

Time to load up on some of the ones I don't have. I usually buy a couple of this line a month anyway. Anyone wondering what ones to get, I can heartily recommend the 2nd Doctor outings with Frazer and Wendy Padbury. He does his flawless Troughton voice, and they do these a bit different from the Companion Chronicles with period style stories and music. Completely like listening to a lost episode. She's also uncanny at doing her 20 year old self's voice.

On the First Doctor ones, does William Russell do the Hartnell part or does he switch off with Carole Ann Ford and Maureen O'Brien like in the Companion Chronicles? That would be a selling point for me if it's the former. He's not as good as Purves, but he's not bad at all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It totally should have been The Valeyard in that room. Especially if 11 knew he was on his last life. :colbert:

Barry Foster posted:

I hated the idea of the War Doctor, and would have preferred poor, battered old Eight to have to push the big red button.

I have a feeling though it would have been a story about 9 being he one in the Time War, as Moffat had been pitching it to Eccleston. I think if he was ever planning on bringing back 8 for more than the short, he would have just done so. Casting Hurt would have been unnecessary, even without Eccleston's participation.

I do like the idea that 8 was preserved as fairly innocent and upbeat til the very end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seeing the comic panels they do for the 8 audios and how they dress Charlie in modern clothes and jogging suits is kinda off putting. I always envisioned her dressing like an Edwardian Adventuress all the time. Like a cross between Indiana Jones and Amelia Earhart or something. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Torchwood is more bad than good but I'm interested in what Big Finish can do with it. Always down for more BARROWMAN! :argh:

Same. I only saw a few episodes of Torchwood the series and was unimpressed. Couldn't finish Miracle Day. But CoE was great, and I'll give anything Barrowman does a shot. He loves the character, he loves Doctor Who, and I know he'll absolutely kill it in audio.

It's one more person, along with Arthur Darvill and Tennant, that would be an absolute lock for Nu-Who audios (and of course Capaldi, but that goes without saying). When we can finally get that unrealized promise of the 9/Rose/Jack team in a multi-season arc, it's gonna own. One day Eccleston will be spoken of in the same breath as McGann and C Bakes as a great audio Doctor with too short a time on tv, mark my words.

I bet this will also give us a chance to finally get an origin story for Captain Jack, and find out the mystery of his missing time before he met the Doctor. Plus other Time Agent in the Future stories.

I also want to see an all Male Action Punching sausage fest companion crossover starring William Russell, Peter Purves, and Barrowman. :allears:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 4, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This looks awesome:

http://io9.com/a-strange-event-links-doctors-together-in-this-doctor-w-1706936295

quote:

Written by Doctor Who and comics scribe Paul Cornell (Wolverine, Captain Britain) and with art by Neil Edwards, the five-part miniseries brings the current 10th, 11th and 12th Doctor comic arcs to a close for the event, before new adventures for the three Doctors and their companions start later this year.

Oh and The War Doctor! :drat:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Like, I'm staring at a picture of one of the Dalek operators right now, who looks like the insurance salesman from from Groundhog Day, and laughing, and I don't care how much of the show is stupid, I do not regret watching and watching it.

"PHIL? PHIL CON-NORS? IS THAT YOU?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I dunno if there's some mistake going on right now, but:

quote:

While all our existing subscriptions remain available for the main range and the new stories (along with the free PDF scripts, extended extras on download, and four Doctor Who -Subscriber Short Trips a year they give), for this month only, we're making available a special extended subscription on both CD and Download. This subscription, priced at £350 for CD, £325 for Download, runs for 42 stories, starting from anywhere the listener requires between story #216 and story #221.

...right now, as of this moment, the US CD price is properly inflated for pounds to dollars at $535, but the download price is $325--same as the £ price! That works out to $Stupid Cheap per story.

I'm tempted to do this, the only thing is it's a big cost outlay for a lot of stories I can't listen to now. Even by the time they come out, will I be caught up? I'm still around the 170s in the Main Range, and I tend to intersperse listening to those with EDAs, 4s, Lost and Companion stories with 1 and 2 (and soon 3), Dark Shadows, and soon B7.

It is great that they finally have separated all the Doctors into their own ranges. It's always been kind of a hassle when you follow a Doctor in order. This is much easier.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

Yeah, their non-UK download prices are weird like that. I don't know about other currencies but the US and Aus $ are just at that amount, not converted.

from the big finish forums

Wait...you mean to say,

:smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Gerald Scarfe, contracted to redesign the Vervoids.

Ah yes, the Vervoids, surprisingly not the winner of Most Genitalia-Like Monster in Doctor Who. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

But Mr. Baker, I have so much to listen to alrea-

Yes sir :nyoron:

You're wasting your time, he's locked all the doors! :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Well, be fair. When American shows present a British person, they all have the same stereotypical British accent.

Also in Doctor Who, all aliens and people from the future have a British accent.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Organza Quiz posted:

I assume that now that they have the ability to use both characters and both actors have agreed to voice things for them, the next thing they'll announce is the River Song/Jack Harkness series I've been waiting for them to make for years.

I'll see that and raise you: River Song/Benny. :getin:

I have the biggest smile on my face right now about all this. Well loving done Nick, Moffat and whoever else was involved! Mark my words, any River doubters will find that the audios will absolutely rehabilitate her just as good as they did 6, and give her a chance to shine with the best potential that character has. I am also incredibly digging the New Series monsters; this is exactly the final piece to link the two shows together as one cohesive unit. I can say that listening to some of the recent Sontaran eps with Starkey I was a bit disappointed that they didn't throw in a "SONTAR HA!" or two. Now I'm sure they'll be doing that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just pleased the Judoon are back, and I want to see(hear) them get into a rumble with the Sontarans.

On that note, I'm also gonna throw it in there that BF will make The Shadow Proclamation actually as cool as it was talked up to be.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SIl is great, and I haven't heard Antidote to Oblivion yet. Hopefully it's not as bad as some of Martin's other fare.

Now if we can just get back Sabalom Glitz...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Missy proposing horrible, overly elaborate schemes to solve every problem they encounter would be great.

"She'd get dizzy if she tried to walk in a straight line." :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

I was idly reading back through the 2013 Christmas special thread and found this post:
They stole your idea Vitamin P!

Vitamin P on page 20 posted:

I just found a sheet of paper in a drawer from a few years ago, when I was babysitting a mates kids, and we wrote down Doctor Who episode ideas because they were mad into it at the time. Most were kind of dull but You can't go up or down even stairs, The moon is an egg and All the egyptians *illegible*, could have legs.

Vitamin P forgot to mention said babysitting occured in 1971...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Prisoner is one of the best shows ever made period and everyone should watch it. I cannot wait for the BF version, because I know they'll do it right.

The_Doctor posted:

Ugh, fine just ignore Blinovitch.

Seeing all these promo shots Capaldi does with old (or related) Who actors I sometimes wonder...he is actually getting paid for this right? Like he realizes he's an actor playing a role, and not that he won some kind of Doctor Who Ultimate Fan Contest, right? :ohdear:

"Steven, we just go the craziest call from BBC London HR. They said Peter...hasn't been cashing any of his paychecks? Is that right?"

:smug: "Oh, don't worry about that."

Though it would explain how the budget has been under control the past couple of years. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Capaldi just did an incredibly nerdy interview on the Doctor Who FB page (I can't seem to find a way to link it, since it's just a post...).

He has great taste in episodes. His favourites from Classic Who are pretty predictable, but his favourites from the new series?

Rose, The Girl In The Fireplace, The Vampires of Venice, and the Rings of Akhaten :getin:

Just watched it, and man, he is the real deal. :allears:

We are so incredibly lucky to get him and Moffat running the show at the same time. It's a wonder they can get anything done between nerdily talking about Doctor Who all day.

One of these days they have got to get Capaldi, Moffat, RTD, and Tennant in the same room for a round of Doctor Who pub trivia. Video that and put it on the internet. :swoon:

If I ever had a chance to ask Capaldi or Moffat a question at a convention or an AMA or something, I'd ask them which of the 4 would win!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Basically Name Of The Doctor has a villain who wants to retcon a bunch of previous episodes so they never happened.

And his name? Future Showrunner X.

:smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well if we're Confessing Controversial Doctor Who Opinons, here's my greatest apostasy:

The 4th Doctor is one of my least favorite Doctors

How can it be that I, an American who got into the show in the 80s would feel that way? Well it's simple. The first episodes I ever saw were Pertwees on PBS, when I was like 8 or so. When I was a few years older, I caught Old Sixie in Timelash of all things, and got hooked. It just so happened that on all the PBS stations I could see, over a few years, a move to another state, and visit's for summers at my grandmother's, the runs of Doctor Who rarely hit 4. I saw the back half of 6's run, McCoy's on their first US airings, and cycling back I got through 1, 2, and 3. I caught a lot of 5 on another station and nearly got back to Timelash. But I never saw a lot of 4, and what I did was kinda meh, like The Key To Time.

With the Audios I gained a great appreciation for 8, and I always liked 10 and 11. But 9, with his short run, and 4, who's episodes I've seen the least of, don't do it for me. This despite the fact that Tom Baker is a treasure and larger than life and is almost the Platonic Form of The Doctor, both on screen and IRL.

That said, after much heming and hawing I started in on the 4/Leela audios and I love them, and 4 is in my regular rotation now with the other Doctors.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

They'll get around BBC licensing problems by featuring The Doctor As Written By Peter Capaldi, Age 9. Prepare for the Chumbley Empire box set. :3:

I'd sign up for one of those 200 episode subscriptions or whatever if they announced that. :allears:

MikeJF posted:

I'd really like to watch old episodes re-edited to modern pacing and editing styles, but not to 44 minutes - just to whatever's natural for the older stories as-is to keep things rolling and to cut out those annoying bits where they'd spend 20 minutes running up a hill or recap things at the start of every week. I've seen a few done to 45 minutes and it's been an interesting experiment, but when you're working with a script not designed for it I think it's better to try out to whatever it turns out to be natural at.

I don't think they're available anywhere, but back in the 80s the PBS edits in the US were edited into super episodes. They would take a multipart story and cut out the credits, filler, recaps, etc and I swear it seemed every drat one, from Hartnell to McCoy (with obvious exceptions like War Games) was 90 minutes. I'm not sure if they edited out other parts to get them to that time.

Some people find that too long, but I enjoyed them and found it a good way to watch a whole story. Of course I'd have no idea where you'd find them nowadays.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

He's got a new trilogy starting next month. Where he gets a new companion, who we'll actually hear first in The Last Adventure.

How very Mel of them...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So BBC was showing a bunch of "old" eps and I caught the end of The End of Time.

Now I know I've probably said this before, and it means absolutely nothing because it's a total retcon, but...

When you watch 10's mauldlin drawn out regeneration, it totally, totally works if you see it as him experiencing what will be for him his Final Regeneration.

Yeah, :words: RTD didn't intend that, Moffat hadn't thought of any of his part of it yet (or had he? :smug: ) but as a retcon it really is an appropriate regeneration. In fact I'd go so far as to say if he hadn't acted a little emotional over his final regeneration, it would be disappointing.

Flame on. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, buckle up kids, it's about to get nerdy af in here.

Karn is a Gallifreyan/Time Lord colony world, The Sisterhood being the remains of the Pythia priestesses who were ousted out of power when Rassilon's age of science and reason came to fruition on Gallifrey. This would make the Sisterhood Gallifreyan by default, but how many of them 'now' are those original priestesses is always going to be a mystery. Naturally born Gallifreyans may have a longer than human lifespan, but we've no indication how much longer. Presumably by now the Sisterhood is a mishmash of races.

Yes, to be completely fair this is all from the Cartmel Masterplan inspired NAs, which while I love that origin story it's all been blown out by stuff seen on tv (ie Gallifreyan children onscreen in multiple episodes and the Doctor spending his childhood on a farm and not in a giant House). On screen it's just implied that the Sisterhood are neighbors of Gallifrey, and have technology/magic that was of a comparable level to the Time Lords as they developed regeneration, and they grudgingly help out from time to time. Their actual origins are vague.

The_Doctor posted:

Or if they read the 12th Doctor books, as she's just turned up in one.

Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

OK, guess it's time to go buy a 12th Doctor book! I just read the synopsis and Gary Russell is going straight up NA in this one. The NA writers slowly brought their canon back into the 90s BBC Books run despite being explicitly told not to, it's only a matter of time before it happens again! :getin:

And of course when we finally get the inevitable crossover between River and Benny by Big Finish, it will finally make the NAs completely canon. :smug:

Though now that I think about it, there's no reason why the Looms and Time's Crucible couldn't co-exist with the new stuff we've seen about Gallifrey on the show. The Time War can mean that contradictory origins of the Daleks between their original appearance and Genesis can be just altered timelines, who's to say Daleks didn't manage to monkey with Ancient Gallifrey at some point?

• Locked thread