Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Deep Breath was a fun episode but I hate Vastra. Don't mind the other two, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is the beheading still cut out in the series 8 DVDs?

cargohills fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 10, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

True fact: The Curse of Fenric is the best Doctor Who story that isn't Vengeance on Varos or The Time Meddler.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've actually never watched the serial version of Fenric, which might colour my opinion. The movie edit is fantastic and adds some cut bits back.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

As someone who sort of enjoyed Torchhwood, I'd like to say that anyone whose favourite episode isn't Countrycide is objectively wrong.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CobiWann posted:

My first Shakespeare play was The Merchant of Venice...

I know your pain. Luckily I got to do Hamlet the year after, which I actually still remember.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CobiWann posted:

Has there ever been another story where, like The Doctor Dances, everyone lives? Terminus maybe?

I assume you mean outside the new series, because "everybody lives" in like 3 episodes per series.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think they should kill Vastra and keep the other two. That would be good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The real list of objectively good Doctor Who christmas episodes is The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, The Snowmen and Last Christmas

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

The Christmas Carol episode is bad.

ftfy

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

the main problem with Kill the Moon and Forest of the Night isn't the bad science or that the main characters do nothing

it's that they're both really boring

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hot Fuzz is way funnier than Ghostbusters, possibly because I've watched the latter far too much.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

For the sake of your own sanity, please don't try to watch every episode of Doctor Who. It's hard enough sitting through some of the lovely episodes on their own.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That's the most wrong anyone has ever been about anything.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That is a very correct opinion.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think it's that dependent on visual cues. They could get a decent story out of them.

It's about blinking. It'd be like an episode about a sound monster being completely silent.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd imagine that would be Jason X.

On a related note, I watched the first Friday the 13th movie for the first time quite recently and was quite disappointed. It's like Psycho except in reverse and also not good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dabir posted:

I've asked before and even got a straight answer, but I'm still confused: Is Vengeance on Varos good or not?

It's definitely the best Colin Baker story, and honestly it's one of my favourite classic Doctor Who stories overall.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Two Doctors" is entertaining.

Shockeye isn't quite as over the top as Soldeed, but he comes close.

"I am not interested in the beliefs of primitives... ONLY WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE!"

The last episode of the Two Doctors is great but the first two are just utter misery.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I hope that means that all of them are available to buy as well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Excise this word from your vocabulary and stop caring about it. You'll feel better.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I recently listened to Dust Breeding, an audio story featuring Geoffrey Beevers as the Master. It's the second time I've heard/seen Geoffrey Beevers as the Master (the first time being in The Light at the End), and I really can't say I like him very much. In fact, I absolutely hate his portrayal of the Master - he makes Eric Roberts look like Roger Delgado or Michelle Gomez by comparison. What do others here think of him? Also, does anybody know why he replaced Peter Pratt in Keeper of Traken?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Talking about cranky Doctors and nobody has mentioned the king of cranky Doctors himself, William Hartnell? Shame on you. My personal favourite Hartnell serials are the Time Meddler and the first episode of An Unearthly Child.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"Dalek" and "Into the Dalek" are, in fact, close enough that it still counts.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Fun Doctor Who fact: Dark Eyes 2 is really confusing

e: I really love the Viyrans, their design has a real "classic series" vibe to them.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 2, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I was very happy to see smith leave tbh

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I just spotted this on the Big Finish website: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-lily-arwell-joins-the-churchill-years

quote:

But with the cast and storylines for these titles now revealed, could there any more New Series announcements in the pipeline?

‘There might be one more significant recurring character from 21st Century Doctor Who that is on the brink of announcement… Watch this space over the coming days!’"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm not so sure about that. Here's the quote again:

quote:

But with the cast and storylines for these titles now revealed, could there any more New Series announcements in the pipeline?

‘There might be one more significant recurring character from 21st Century Doctor Who that is on the brink of announcement… Watch this space over the coming days!’

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Even better: Alex Macqueen and Michelle Gomez in "The Two Masters"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

computer parts posted:

Have we seen that special Dalek before? He looks familiar.

The red one? He was in the Series 4 finale.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He's Scottish. The chance of him being a Tory would have been about a million-to-one.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The series 5/6 theme is terrible imo

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Actually, Timeflight is the only time Ainley is bad in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I absolutely love Capaldi but Matt Smith is my least favourite Doctor so my opinions probably won't jive with big fans of his

• Locked thread