Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

also, there was some motorcycle scenes in season 7, right?

Matt Smith rode an antigrav motorcycle up the side of The Shard in London to burst in on the evil HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or he could've not regenerated because being crushed underwater and drowning doesn't give his body space to be alive again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not surprised; I'm sure Adams would've been a great writer and a terrible script editor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god, if Big Finish ever got the rights to The Centurion Rory Chronicles imagine his various adventures with classic doctors over the past thousand years.

EDIT: DAMNIT that wouldn't work, he was only around in the Starless universe. I still want Rory's adventures.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like Murray Gold when he doesn't have RTD poking him with a stick shouting MORE DRAMATIC, even if he does lean a bit too much on the main leitmotifs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

God Complex and The Girl Who Waited are both absolutely amazing episodes, amongst the best of the entire revival, and I feel like they get overlooked a bit because they're in season 6 which was overall such an uneven mess.

Honestly, I really think that it would've been better if the order were reversed, and The Girl Who Waited was the last straw that sent the Ponds home.

I mean admittedly as is it still reads that way, but it's kinda dulled. Although on the other hand, Girl Who Waited is probably better served by not having the fond farewell ending, so... eh, I dunno. Maybe if they'd just linked back Rory's desire to leave in God Complex to the horrible experience of Girl Who Waited more explicitly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 23, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, they don't know how things are meant to be, it's more that they've been trying to understand the world and it's just not fitting together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

By that point there hadn't been any stars for 2000 years. Probably thought it was just a myth.

1000. There's probably lots of history with stars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is... it feels more realistic. I mean, entering the TARDIS would be a life-shattering event.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

poo poo, I thought Pandorica opened happened in 1020, it was 102. Sorry.

Although that said, the TARDIS exploded in 2010 and Rory saw the stars vanish in 102, so I suspect it was like the cracks where the stars never existed except in some vague way that leaked into minds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does the cut material from Fenric and Ghost Light still exist in any form?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Day of the Doctor explained it best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, that sucked. It was much better ambiguous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can understand why the crack is a fear; it represents the destruction of everything. The universe he's spent his life protecting. And not just that, but retroactively, too. But... ehh. Speculation is funner.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mortanis posted:

And Night of the Doctor!

...is going to mean nothing to him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I'm fairly sure they're holding back the rest of the episodes until 2016 because they don't know who from the cast they can get except Barrowman. Hell, that means they may not even know WHEN the audios will be set.

Suzie!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I feel like when I actually watch Torchwood, the "Torchwood is the worst thing in the Universe, worse than getting your toes stomped on while you watch Star Trek: Voyager" stuff is going to over-prepare me to the point where I say "I don't know. The dog in this show isn't really that shaggy."

One of the main characters attempts to rape a woman using drugs in the first episode during his free time and this isn't ever really brought up and he just happily continues along as a member of the team.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just pulled it up on Netflix, and poo poo, you're right, I was remembering wrong, he takes them both home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I reasoned that the Master's TARDIS was somehow wrapped around the inside of St. Paul's cathedral, because the 3C building was clearly not the same place.

The Doctor outright said that the cathedral was bigger on the inside, but just implied Missy had engineered that. I doubt it was her TARDIS. If nothing else, doesn't landing a TARDIS inside a TARDIS make things go wonkadoo?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Time of the Doctor has problems, but yeah I was kinda shocked to hear its name bandied about as not just bad, but somehow worse than the utter drek that is Doctor, Widow, Wardrobe. That's opinions for you, though!

I rewatched it lately and I feel like it's improved greatly with time. And it does strike a large number of the themes of Eleven's run.

It still feels like there's a lot of cut material, though. And it had the disadvantage of coming off one of the best all-around episodes of Doctor Who's run.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh absolutely, and I think the fact that Jenna Coleman was initially going to leave the show at the end of season and then requested to come back for the Christmas Special and THEN requested to come back for Season 9 indicates that she really enjoys being on the show and working with Capaldi (who wouldn't!?!)

The dynamic of Clara and Twelve's playfully mocking relationship is great and I hope we see a lot more of it, love those two together. When was Capaldi cast? I can't help but wonder if they did a screentest of Coleman and Capaldi in secret.

Hopefully now that we've gotten the payoff of the whole age thing with Twelve saying he doesn't see Clara's age in the Christmas Special old-age bit (which was obviously meant to be more significant when she was leaving), we can stop with the calling her old thing though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

SHE DIDN'T SAY IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE!

Please, they've been playing on variations of that one for ages, it's not like that makes her unique.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

That's a nice way to look at it, and it sort of explains why I like her character a lot better after the mystery of her is solved. I do like The Snowmen a lot, though.

Well, also, after the mystery of her is solved she's mainly with Capaldi, who she's amazing with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Oh my God! They killed Clara!

I still think it was wasted that Clara never met another Clara. Still time, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically, take the 'forest overtakes London' visual and the 'lost school trip hangs out with the Doctor' setting and keep that.

Trash everything else, start again.

Oh, keep the tiger. But do it better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 23, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I really really really wish we'd gotten to see Tennant with a new show runner.

He tried to uncover a Zygon and accidentally married Queen Elizabeth instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Ah yes, the Vervoids, surprisingly not the winner of Most Genitalia-Like Monster in Doctor Who. :allears:

Really? I would've pegged them as #1. Who do you put there?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yeah; I really liked her in her first appearance, where she basically was acting as an equal to the Doctor...but he had no idea who she was. She just got more smug and more puzzle box-y with each appearance.

On the other hand, for all the episode's flaws I really liked her in Angels Take Manhattan, when both she and the Doctor were late in the story and there were very few secrets left. They were both more mature in their interactions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

They'd use the Silence, but nobody remembers them.

The Silence'd probably work a lot better than the Angels for audio. Although the advantage of Angels is that The Doctor already knew about them in Blink, so it leads to less continuity problems. (Although the Silence do have a self-solving mechanism for that built in...)

That said, I reckon it'd be much better to explore some of the more minor new monsters, some of them could be really cool to flesh out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids.

Honestly, that's why he's always felt kinda... un-Doctor-y to me. A bit too chill.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Speaking of the Missy reveal in the Toxx thread, something I found kind of interesting was that that Doctor Who iOS game with the gem matching released a level with her just after the episode aired, except the names of the moves she had made it sound like she was a robot. I'm pretty sure their team was told that she was a cybercontroller or something like that while they were making the level.

Don't forget her mid-episode "I am an android" prank.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Doctor and Doc Brown together. :swoon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She's The Master, who will ally with The Doctor to help defeat The Master and The Master.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was mostly joking about her being the Master but one of the benefits of The Master is that we don't need to be too careful about incarnations, since they're offscreen so much. I could totally see Moffat doing a multi-Master episode with a future Master we never see again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jsor posted:

one of the spoiler exceptions in that thread has always been that Doctor/Companion casting info from future seasons is fair game.

Not the case at all, except for when he was already aware of them. Remember when we all had to go a season watching him moan about how sad it was that Donna only got a single special?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

...or Moffat has a problem writing distinctive characters.

She's said three words

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 10, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

Seven. Or is this an in-joke I'm not getting?

Oh, sorry, seven, misremembered.

My point stands, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rewatching S8 stuff. God I hope in S9 they bring back the up and down. I miss the up and down. The TARDIS doesn't feel right without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jivjov posted:

It was alright; it's set in that same brief window when the TARDIS crew is 9, Rose, and Jack; which is starting to feel a little crowded (I know Doctor Who doesn't emphasize continuity like, say, the Star Wars universe, but I've just noticed that a LOT of 9 media gets set right there before Boom Town.)

To be fair, that gap between Doctor Dances and Boom Town where Jack was with them was the vast majority of 9's life.

• Locked thread