Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

As much as I always want to tell everybody to start with A Christmas Invasion, unless you're already inclined to enjoy goofy sci-fi or are already leaning towards liking Doctor Who for some other reason, Eleventh Hour is really the easiest episode for somebody who knows nothing about to jump in and enjoy.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

CobiWann posted:

She's a great actor and I'm sure she'll appreciate being on a show where no one dies!

...Unless they die over and over.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It's "Time locked." I think that you're only capable of visiting Gallifrey in their "current" time.

I thought the idea of it being "Time locked" was that nobody could visit it, it was all sealed off from time and space along with the whole war. And only the war doctor is having it happen because it happens everywhere at once until he time locks it, at which point it never happened at all, and he only remembers it as part of his personal continuity.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Charles Dance doesn't really have the slight touch of insanity needed to be the Master. He makes a brilliant Patrician though, and I hope he reprises the role at some point.

I'm disappointed in all of you. Charles Dance should play The Doctor, not The Master! :colbert:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, not recently. I'm waaaaay back in the Eccleston season, like, literally just started at the beginning of the thread.

It's actually pretty miraculous how well people have refrained from spoiling stuff after Annekie's initial post about it. I'm just hoping we can keep it up, I love seeing his reactions to the twists especially as we get more and more river-related stuff. :ohdear:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

poo poo, I thought Pandorica opened happened in 1020, it was 102. Sorry.

Although that said, the TARDIS exploded in 2010 and Rory saw the stars vanish in 102, so I suspect it was like the cracks where the stars never existed except in some vague way that leaked into minds.

Huh. I always figured that the stars still existed prior to the doctor getting locked in the pandorica, which is why there are myths/legends/cults (also psychic universe bleedthrough or whatever), but I guess that does kind of all apart (along with everything else :v:) because of the whole "universe failing across time and space" thing. I'm not really sure how that timeline would work though, I guess if they still have other history from back then that they should have records of the stars from back then.

E: Of course, if they're going out because of actions the doctor never took that involved him travelling into the past before 102 AD, but him making the jump later in his own personal timeline, I suppose that would mean they were always gone.

:psyboom:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 24, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

C'rizz made me take a break from the audios before I got to that one :(. Just ugh, such a badly handled character.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Basically Name Of The Doctor has a villain who wants to retcon a bunch of previous episodes so they never happened.

Holy poo poo! This is the last piece. I finally figured it out, Moffat wants all children terrified of his personal childhood phobias! :v:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Huh, had misread that. My apologies. Well, now I'm hoping it's Rory the Centurion.

Every time somebody posts this I get sad because for a moment I feel hope :smith:.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Private Eye is also usually really good and reliable.

I'm not familiar with them, is this serious or sarcastic?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Despite being satire, Private Eye are usually quite good on the news front.

:negative:

I wonder if the BBC makes more from dvd sales/netflix paying for a new season of sherlock + Doctor Who every 3 years instead of a new season of one every year? I'd think if they weren't getting some benefit from it that they'd just be all "No, Steven, no. Work on one thing at a time and keep a schedule" at this point. (Alternatively I'd guess he's the only one making them money and they're terrified to cross him.)

Also, I really like the hipster-magician doctor, I think the colors and style go with Capaldi's Doctor very well. I don't remember while posting if the video of him on Craig Ferguson was posted here or the other thread, so apologies if this is literally last page, but the whole thing about Capaldi coming up a skinhead made me actively appreciate the outfit outside of thinking it works fine for The Doctor, because it's neat that he basically gets to wear what he already wears.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 6, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'd actually be curious to see RTD write a few things for Big Finish. Maybe not having all the visual stuff to lean on would fix some of the issues with his writing. Big Finish already lends itself pretty well to big emotional sweeps, since they're relying on voice to convey everything.

E: Oh, looks like last year they adapted a novel he wrote like a decade before becoming showrunner. Not quite the same, but anybody have impressions on it? I missed it if Jeru/Cobi reviewed it. (https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/damaged-goods-standard-edition-1109)

Rochallor posted:

I would expect that's the reason we're down to 13 episodes a year. How much money does the BBC lose from people picking up the DVD box set and going, "Well, maybe if there were 13 episodes..."? They basically save a whole episode's budget.
I was thinking "Well instead of people buying 1 dvd of who a year, they're buying 1 dvd of who and 1 dvd of sherlock every 2 years". I feel like there's a glaring flaw in that logic though, and it's probably that they get more sales from smaller amounts of both of them then they would from larger amounts of one of them.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 7, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I didn't mean to add to the pile, I was just wondering if it had been reviewed already! (I'm sure you really mind :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

evenworse username posted:

I think a lot of the creature effects (not all of them) in The Thing still look pretty good.

yes yes yes

E: All about Videodrome's effects too, they are still pretty horrifying. Cronenberg or Carpenter, I can never decide :allears:

surc fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 16, 2015

• Locked thread