Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happy Tenth Anniversary, everyone!

Who wants to get the Who thread properly started by accusing the group of people who couldn't agree on what color the sky is of having a hive mind? (There is no hive mind.)

Anyway, I agree with the hive mind about The Eleventh Hour being the best starting point for testing the waters.

e: And happy birthday from many of the show's writers and actors: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-26/happy-birthday-to-who-the-doctors-companions-stars-and-writers-send-10th-anniversary-messages

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He gave a nice little positive birthday message. You never know, Big Finish might get the license and actually convince old Ecc to record one or two. After all, we live in days when we can watch all of Enemy of the World, where Tom Baker made a return to Doctor Who, and where the Master is played by a woman.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Billie Piper is actually a good actor, and she does a great job in the 50th Anniversary special, as well as other episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're not allowed to do anything cool until I catch up with them. Somebody tell them to hold off for a couple of years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh god, please don't let it be new 9 stories. Don't make me become an audio person. :suicide:

Big Mean Jerk is pretending that he is not already an audio person, and he has posted about trying to listen to them before, which is funny.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The second half of it was good. It was just trying to do a little too much and probably should have focused on the clockwork robots. I think they thought they needed the Pasternoster Gang because Clara was so new and we had a new Doctor, but it would have been fine without them. The dinosaur should have been a throwaway joke at the beginning, at absolute most.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PowerBuilder3 posted:

The entire billion year history of Skaro can't be time locked.

Why not? I've always got the impression that pretty much all of Gallifrey's history is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It kind of goes without saying that any society which invents time travel would invent protections from altering their own history, or else alter history to the point of not inventing time travel, during the period in which a privileged elite few would have access to the technology.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Someone destroyed Skaro even though the Doctor told him not to use the Hand of Omega, right after he said not to throw him in the briar patch.

Time to begin penning a letter to the Doctor Who Experience with an idea for a musical log flume ride.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

You really want Joseph Lidster to write that for you?

How do you do? poo poo! I'm really dyin'.
How do you do? Say it while you're sighin'.
How do you do? With everybody cryin':
Terrible, sure as you're dead.
Terrible, sure as you're dead.

The license extending to 2020 is great, but it also looks like the Eighth Doctor is getting another line and that they're going to keep working with Tom. :)

quote:

‘We’re already underway, planning Doctor Who stories into 2017 and 2018,’ reveals line producer David Richardson. ‘There will be more adventures from the Fifth, Six and Seventh Doctors in the monthly range, more stories for the Fourth Doctor and his companions in The Fourth Doctor Adventures, and a new era for the Eighth Doctor, Liv Chenka and their new friend Helen Sinclair in Doctor Who: Doom Coalition. Plus we will continue to explore the contrasting worlds of our different and very popular spin-off series.’

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Just me for now, wife and kiddo coming tonight.

I am proud of myself. Colin and Sophie just walked by and I didn't fanboy out.

As i said, lot of fezzes, lot of scarves, a few spoons, and enough naked fat flesh to convince me that I'm going on a drat diet when this is over.

Just give the kid an airhorn and tell her to blow it whenever a pony comes close.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It sounds like McCoy's got a good rapport with adults and children. :)

Congrats, After the War and Cobiwann. I hope you both (not to mention Cobi's family) had a great time!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Action Man posted:

This information means I NEED to listen to the Kingmaker.

I highly recommend doing that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Kingmaker was the audio that really surprised me with how versatile Big Finish was willing to get with their audios. When I heard the basic premise, I was not at all expecting the story I got.

That's a good thing!

Mind you, Big Finish can take that willingness to experiment too far, as in Minuet in Hell which is very much a bad thing.

I like that they go all out, though. Brotherhood of the Daleks is completely all over the place and I really hated almost the entire last part, but the bizarre chances they took made it worth it for the first three parts. Right now, I'm in the middle of a Companion Chronicle being narrated by Sara Kingdom, because, hey, they can do whatever the hell they want! Forty Five ends with a Word Lord, a wisecracking bounty hunter from a plane of existence made entirely of language, who travels in a CORDIS. Half the time it's an embarrassing dud, and the other half the time, you're surprised into hearing a story you enjoy more than half of the TV serials.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's also probably worth mentioning that the Eighth Doctor visits the Sisterhood of Karn in the EDAs, and that crack he makes about "four minutes, that's ages, what if I get bored?" is right on par with his typical interactions with them. I'm really glad he got 7 more minutes of screen-time. Maybe they'll do another anniversary special in a decade or so and he'll get another two minutes. :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the things I liked about Tennant's overlong farewell tour was his conversation with Wilf in which he talked about how regeneration did feel like dying. It means that regenerating by violent death isn't just losing hundreds of years of his life, it's a real, personal death. Five's conversation with Iris in whichever Excelis he's in supports it too. It means they don't have to add artificial direness to situations by making it a danger that he won't regenerate this time and trying to define the exact rules; it's a death just like (Sandman spoilers) Morpheus's: despite Dream continuing on, Morpheus himself really does die.

That's my favorite thing about regeneration. It's like the incumbent Doctor dies and a totally different person suddenly wakes up with all of his memories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I have a question about Time Lords. In Classic Who, when he ran into other Time Lords, was it through various times in each other's history? Would he meet the Master, who had memories of run ins that the Doctor hadn't actually done yet? When he went back to Gallifrey, was it some how removed from time and they always, say, aged at the same rate? Or, wait, actually never mind, that's not possible after the 50th.

The concept of the Time War confuses me. How did only the War Doctor experience it, if it was happening at all times?

"Shut up and don't over think it," is a perfectly valid answer, by the way.

It's "Time locked." I think that you're only capable of visiting Gallifrey in their "current" time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I've always figured that it must be a matter of time moves at the same pace/direction for all Time Lords regardless of where they are (a day for the Doctor is a day for all Time Lords, no matter where he is in time and space, etc). But that can be gotten around, though it is frowned upon/outright forbidden - basically Time Travel isn't supposed to be happen to Time Lord society itself.

Yeah, that's more or less how I figure it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

In all honesty, despite listening to it, considering what I'd heard, and doing a write-up for it.... I still had to stop and think for a bit before I could remember what happens in Scaredy-Cat. It really is a wholly unremarkable and uninspiring story.

I really, really can't wait to get to the end of the 8th Doctor's monthly range stories, the Doctor and Charley are fine but despite my best efforts to keep an open mind, C'Rizz really is a pretty awful character.

Yeah, I actually had to look it up and pry through my brain before I could remember having heard it.

And C'Rizz really is insufferable, unfortunately. They can't decide what to do with him, so he's forever a grumpy, gloomy nobody who always seems on the verge of betraying his companions through some form of brainwashing. Much though I like Charlie, Lucie Miller really is a better fit for Eight in a lot of ways.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

As much as I love Charley/India Fisher, her character arc ended in Scherzo. Ever since then, she's just been a flat character. Thanks to my OCD, I have to listen to the main range until The Girl Who Never Was and THEN I'll rip through the first season of the EDA's and second second of the FDA's before coming back to the main range.

Yeah, Charlie is fun, but it does feel like they spin their wheels for awhile late in their stuff. I listen in release order (the OCD is literal in my case), so I did the first EDA season a bit before the Girl Who Never Was, which was weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I looked at the episode list and it's a good sampler, but I have to assume most people are either going to be happy with streaming media or just purchase the seasons they want on DVD. If you want to catch the "best of" and catch a few episodes of something to see if you want to commit to it, there are other ways to do that already, and they're free.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

City of Death has John Cleese and Julian Glover in it, it is written by Douglas Adams, and it contains some of Four's best lines, including "Well, you're a beautiful woman, probably," and "What a wonderful butler! He's so violent!" The "Does anyone care about history anymore?" shout is used in basically every montage that contains Four.

I really love City of Death.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Or ye olde classic "THERE...WILL...BE...NO... BATTLE HEEEEEEEEERE!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Finally watching series 8, and boy was "Deep Breath" very bad.

The second half is good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The episode is just way too overloaded. The T-Rex and the Paternoster stuff didn't work for me, but the moments with the clockwork robots, Clara and the Doctor were good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's definitely a weird, meandering mess, overladen with jokes, only half of which land.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Clara's angry reaction is also a little unwarranted. It feels like they were having her respond to the Twelfth Doctor from the next couple of episodes, but it reads as kind of weird that she is so immediately hostile.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh my god, if Big Finish ever got the rights to The Centurion Rory Chronicles imagine his various adventures with classic doctors over the past thousand years.

EDIT: DAMNIT that wouldn't work, he was only around in the Starless universe. I still want Rory's adventures.

Coming soon, from Big Finish: Starless Universe, starring Arthur Darvill as the Last Centurion...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

All episodes written by Joe Lidster, each revealing a horrible way Rory was tortured during his thousands of years of life.

At last, Rory is going to kick the football he's been waiting for 2000 years to kick, until the person holding it dies of cancer and the ball rolls away, to be eaten by the kite eating tree, which also ate Rory's kite.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

How are the two Unbound audios with David Warner?

Sympathy for the Devil was really good, in my opinion. You'll probably be able to predict some of the twists, but it's just well-written and well-acted (and it's got David Tennant in a role that's pretty good for him).

I haven't heard Master of War yet, but I'll likely get to it sometime early next week. In general, except for the one nobody should ever speak of, the Unbound line is among Big Finish's best Doctor Who stories, and I'm including the main line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Survival is decent, but it really could have been so much better if they had done things with a little light makeup and movement/dance work, like the writer envisioned, instead of putting everyone in the big furry suits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Circular Time is one of my favorites, if only because about half of the stories are really, really well done.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

I guess I would say, Four seemed to have the best stories, though I only watched one Two which was also good. So both, and maybe similar good stories for Six/Seven?

Six got a rum deal on TV and his stories are almost universally bad, to be honest. The Two Doctors might be palatable for you because it has Two in it, but it's pretty bad.

For Seven, I recommend The Happiness Patrol to get a feel for him (and it has a little of the zaniness of Four's era, although that kind of disappears after Four) but his last season is overall quite good (Ghostlight has a reputation for being confusing and impenetrable, though).

e:

Random Stranger posted:

And if you hate Adric, then you need to watch Earthshock.

Instead, watch the ending to Earthshock on Youtube, with Yakkety Sax playing over it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Dark Husband is okay, but parts 3 and 4 feel a bit stretched. The twists and solution at the end feel like they're drawn out across 20 minutes when they could have happened in five.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Okay, I've raved about Big Finish's sound design before, but I'm doing Haunting of Thomas Brewster and... are you sure they're not in my office? Like, right now? Goons, is that you? CobiWan... Jerusalem?!

I'm not even here by myself! On a decent set of headphones, it's that good

The only problem with that one is that weird musical interlude they keep playing for small stretches of time. I got some new headphones just before I listened to it, I thought that was the reason the sound quality was so good. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would say that this is the best Tom Baker picture, but there are really so many to choose from.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want him to do the tech quotes for the next Civ game, because of course there will be another one, but there are a zillion reasons that's unlikely.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well today my laptop just started displaying a black screen. Thankfully, I saved the 2000 words I wrote today to Drive, but I definitely have enough data loss that I needed some comfort watching. I only have two of the old serials on DVD, and I decided on The Sea Devils.

It took me forever to type that, because I am now on a tablet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten how utterly terrible the soundtrack is for The Sea Devils. It's like they had someone run up and down a musical staircase and then doctored it to take out anything that might have sounded melodic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When they brought Rassilon back for the Time War, he eliminated his lock on the eternal life power so that he could grant it to the Master, and the Time Lords later used it on the Doctor too.

• Locked thread