Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i thought stp is actually worse unless both ends are properly grounded, which is unlikely, so the shielding actually adds interference and makes things worse most of the time?

Captain Foo posted:

unless you really really need S(c)TP you should basically always just use UTP and if you have to have S(cTP) strongly consider whether or not you wouldn't be better off w/ fiber

wish i had a cable that would shield me from yr posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how often is solid core wire actually used? it'd be theoretically better for long runs in plenum space where it won't move ever but not that much better surely?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because its for plenum cabling. thats the point

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
One cable I dislike is the one with the rubber seperater in the center.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i misremembered things i thought most plenum cable was stranded for some bizarre reason. likely because all the outdoor STP cables we use are stranded

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
I used to splice outside plant fiber for a living. it loving sucked.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

well yes if you don't ground it you have a floating antenna

yeah fiber with zero possibility of EMI problems is of course the best bet. i've never been involved in infrastructure decisions like that so i have no idea what it costs or how practical the grounding stuff is for normal networking. we use STP for an industrial embedded device but of course we control both ends of that and its supposed to go into bad environments, i definitely agree its pretty niche

all your racks should be grounded, but lol @ reality

also remember to get the right kind of plugs for solid core wire vs stranded wire

people that crimp 8P8Cs directly onto station cable can gently caress right off

hobbesmaster posted:

how often is solid core wire actually used? it'd be theoretically better for long runs in plenum space where it won't move ever but not that much better surely?

all station cable should be solidcore, CMP or CMR, patch cables should be stranded

Citizen Tayne posted:

were you the guy that went up in the cherrypicker to get the splice boot to bring it into the truck and then fusion splice poo poo? infrastructure work is real critical but it sucks to do

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

i remember when a backhoe sliced the main fiber trunk at work the cable company brought out a little hut trailer and some dude just sat in there and spliced for like 40 hours

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

i remember when a backhoe sliced the main fiber trunk at work the cable company brought out a little hut trailer and some dude just sat in there and spliced for like 40 hours

yup that'll happen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Captain Foo posted:

were you the guy that went up in the cherrypicker to get the splice boot to bring it into the truck and then fusion splice poo poo? infrastructure work is real critical but it sucks to do

I did everything start to finish after it was pulled - dressed out the cabling properly on strand, prepped it into the splice boot, did all the splicing, and hung it up / strapped it out when I was done.

If you want to see some of my work go drive around West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or Roslindale, I did a lot of work for your cable company there back in 2001.

graph posted:

oh yeah, it takes forever to do right although mass fusion / ribbon splicers help.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've got a bunch of ribbon fiber at work we really can't do anything with, we're using it for pullcord

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I did everything start to finish after it was pulled - dressed out the cabling properly on strand, prepped it into the splice boot, did all the splicing, and hung it up / strapped it out when I was done.

If you want to see some of my work go drive around West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or Roslindale, I did a lot of work for your cable company there back in 2001.

oh yeah, it takes forever to do right although mass fusion / ribbon splicers help.

yo i respect that

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
is AMP/molex crimping halal in thread?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

is AMP/molex crimping halal in thread?

idk but if you're making powerpoles you best not be just crimping but solder that poo poo, yo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Sniep posted:

idk but if you're making powerpoles you best not be just crimping but solder that poo poo, yo

i've never used powerpoles but if you have to solder a crimp then you've got some real lovely plugs or crimpers

bought some 6,3mm spade connectors on ebay and i have to tin the lead to get a good crimp with them, they're crap and i'm gonna throw them out and get the TE Connectivity or KS Terminals version that are basically impossible to pull off when crimped

*solders cable with water soluble flux*
*cable is literally eaten away by acid pulled into cable by capillary effect at the slightest hint of moisture*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i just like things soldered.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm v glad I've never had to make an amphenol by hand

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

deutsch as are fantasticly expesive

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

deutsch as are fantasticly expesive

Are we still talking about crimping?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

yes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wtf is cat7

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

one more than cat6

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

an idiot waste of copper because at that point you really need to be using fiber

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

an idiot waste of copper because at that point you really need to be using fiber

iirc cat7 has each individual twisted pair shielded as well as the entire cable, and it's designed for 10GBe (which Cat6a can do anyway), so if you're doing superdense copper 10GBe installs i guess you use cat7? jfc just use fibers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol 10g over copper

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

how cheap are fiber pcie cards for desktop pcs?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
infiniband is the future -Lawrence "uncle Larry" Ellison

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i want 10gbps to my desk

pram
Jun 10, 2001

how cheap are fiber pcie cards for desktop pcs?

not cheap at all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i want 10gbps to my desk

you can suck it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

lol 10g over copper

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

I remember seeing a chart that went up to CAT 9

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

darthzeta88 posted:

I remember seeing a chart that went up to CAT 9

i think at this point, Cat 3, 5e, and 6 are officially recognized by TIA/EIA

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

you know what really sucks? having to rig up some bastardized poe setup on the unused pairs of a 100mbit run because some dumbass both put the switch + access point in a non-powered cabinet and said dumbass ordered non-poe gear to save money.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
posts-over-ethernet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

posts-over-ethernet

first a rj45 in the laundry room and now a rj45 in the bathroom? ????

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

you know what really sucks? having to rig up some bastardized poe setup on the unused pairs of a 100mbit run because some dumbass both put the switch + access point in a non-powered cabinet and said dumbass ordered non-poe gear to save money.

lol that blows

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sniep posted:

first a rj45 in the laundry room and now a rj45 in the bathroom? ????

the future is now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Foo posted:

lol that blows

it was stranded direct burial cable too. working with LMR-400 coaxial cable was a cakewalk compared to that poo poo.

lol made goddamn bank at that job though. mad rush to deploy before students cane back into town = gobs of overtime.

edit: every single rf equipment manufacturer that I worked with at that job doesn't exist anymore. except for one - Cisco. and those were the aps that I absolutely never had problems with beyond always having to track down a drat serial cable in the rare cases where I needed to directly access them.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

it was stranded direct burial cable too.

:stare:

• Locked thread