Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sniep posted:

why on earth would anyone crimp ethernet cables when monoprice exists

monoprice: cable of approximately the right length arrives 2days from now
reel sitting in the other room: cable of exactly the right length is ready in a couple minutes

also the EZ thing owning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well if you need stock then yes it'd be faster to buy a box of them from monoprice or w/e because its dirt cheap in quantity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

why were crossover cables ever a thing

i still look for the uplink port on switches when going to plug stuff in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

darthzeta88 posted:

Why do they even come shielded when unshielded is cheaper?

UTP is certainly cheaper than STP, STP does help out a lot when you have EMI problems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i thought stp is actually worse unless both ends are properly grounded, which is unlikely, so the shielding actually adds interference and makes things worse most of the time?

well yes if you don't ground it you have a floating antenna

Captain Foo posted:

unless you really really need S(c)TP you should basically always just use UTP and if you have to have S(cTP) strongly consider whether or not you wouldn't be better off w/ fiber

yeah fiber with zero possibility of EMI problems is of course the best bet. i've never been involved in infrastructure decisions like that so i have no idea what it costs or how practical the grounding stuff is for normal networking. we use STP for an industrial embedded device but of course we control both ends of that and its supposed to go into bad environments, i definitely agree its pretty niche

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how often is solid core wire actually used? it'd be theoretically better for long runs in plenum space where it won't move ever but not that much better surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i misremembered things i thought most plenum cable was stranded for some bizarre reason. likely because all the outdoor STP cables we use are stranded

• Locked thread