Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i use the B way of crimping ethernet, the one that starts with white-orange

t568-b supremacy

i've seen a cat-5e wired up as USOC before that was weird+bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cable boots are the worsttttt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

because crossover detection and swapping which pins do what internally is non-trivial

yeah, mdi/x is really good+cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

i still look for the uplink port on switches when going to plug stuff in

well it's not like accidentally using the port configured for trunking is going to go well for anyone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

is this the real reason they started making one piece baby-blues?

no it's so they could charge you for them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I crimped so hard and got so far

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i dont understand why cables come in twisted pairs if that's not even practical for real use
is it just a manufacturing thing?

what

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuu

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

when i used to be a cj i had a co-worker make cables like that and they were like "look it's fine, they always work fine, no one cares"

gross

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

unless you really really need S(c)TP you should basically always just use UTP and if you have to have S(cTP) strongly consider whether or not you wouldn't be better off w/ fiber

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

well yes if you don't ground it you have a floating antenna

yeah fiber with zero possibility of EMI problems is of course the best bet. i've never been involved in infrastructure decisions like that so i have no idea what it costs or how practical the grounding stuff is for normal networking. we use STP for an industrial embedded device but of course we control both ends of that and its supposed to go into bad environments, i definitely agree its pretty niche

all your racks should be grounded, but lol @ reality

also remember to get the right kind of plugs for solid core wire vs stranded wire

people that crimp 8P8Cs directly onto station cable can gently caress right off

hobbesmaster posted:

how often is solid core wire actually used? it'd be theoretically better for long runs in plenum space where it won't move ever but not that much better surely?

all station cable should be solidcore, CMP or CMR, patch cables should be stranded

Citizen Tayne posted:

I used to splice outside plant fiber for a living. it loving sucked.

were you the guy that went up in the cherrypicker to get the splice boot to bring it into the truck and then fusion splice poo poo? infrastructure work is real critical but it sucks to do

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

i remember when a backhoe sliced the main fiber trunk at work the cable company brought out a little hut trailer and some dude just sat in there and spliced for like 40 hours

yup that'll happen

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I did everything start to finish after it was pulled - dressed out the cabling properly on strand, prepped it into the splice boot, did all the splicing, and hung it up / strapped it out when I was done.

If you want to see some of my work go drive around West Roxbury, Hyde Park, or Roslindale, I did a lot of work for your cable company there back in 2001.

oh yeah, it takes forever to do right although mass fusion / ribbon splicers help.

yo i respect that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm v glad I've never had to make an amphenol by hand

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

an idiot waste of copper because at that point you really need to be using fiber

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

an idiot waste of copper because at that point you really need to be using fiber

iirc cat7 has each individual twisted pair shielded as well as the entire cable, and it's designed for 10GBe (which Cat6a can do anyway), so if you're doing superdense copper 10GBe installs i guess you use cat7? jfc just use fibers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i want 10gbps to my desk

you can suck it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

lol 10g over copper

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

darthzeta88 posted:

I remember seeing a chart that went up to CAT 9

i think at this point, Cat 3, 5e, and 6 are officially recognized by TIA/EIA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

you know what really sucks? having to rig up some bastardized poe setup on the unused pairs of a 100mbit run because some dumbass both put the switch + access point in a non-powered cabinet and said dumbass ordered non-poe gear to save money.

lol that blows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

it was stranded direct burial cable too.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

please demonstrate to me you have a need for 10GBe at the desktop and then we'll talk

• Locked thread