Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Fate zero came second

It came before this anime, which shaped audience expectations in the same way any good show by the same studio will. Expecting UBW to be an actual sequel is daft, sure, but it's not surprising folks might want it to carry over a little of the same magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

YggdrasilTM posted:

...No, she said "I don't know what happened, but in the past you clearly wanted to be a hero of justice". Which transitions in the episode in which Kotomine finds his dead father, decides to become evil and kills Tokiomi.
Not that I really doubt you, but I decided to just go over and check that scene in both sub and dub form because it only takes a few minutes. The line I'm thinking about is "I don't know what betrayed you and caused you to lose all hope/you to fall into such despair in the past." So while I read between the lines a little, it seems like she has realized how broken he is. This issue certainly isn't helped by the fact that the translation (or multiple thereof) that came out with the show might be different from the official one, which is slightly different from the dub, and I don't know enough Japanese to compare to the source.

All of that said, this debate is just quibbling over specifics and minor details since from the start I believed that we'd come to the same conclusion about Saber and Kotomine's relationship and how she feels about his ideal compared to Shirou's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For the record there is I'm fact a Saber/Shirou powow about Kiritsugu in Fate, and what she says (and Zero elaborates on this) is that she found him ruthless, abhorrent, and to the very end never understood who he was or why he did anything.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I didn't care that UBW wasn't a real sequel to Zero I just didn't like it because it was a bad anime, in my opinion.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kiritsugu sucks

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Shirou spends much of Fate talking up Kiritsugu until Saber finally says essentially "OK, are we talking about two completely different people or something?"

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Namtab posted:

So as I pray, unlimited shitposts works

FTFY

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Rodyle posted:

For the record there is I'm fact a Saber/Shirou powow about Kiritsugu in Fate, and what she says (and Zero elaborates on this) is that she found him ruthless, abhorrent, and to the very end never understood who he was or why he did anything.

I thought at some point she admitted Kiritsugu's final decision in regards to the Grail was the correct one, even if she had no idea why it was happening at the time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sylphid posted:

I thought at some point she admitted Kiritsugu's final decision in regards to the Grail was the correct one, even if she had no idea why it was happening at the time.
Yes, once the grail's nature is revealed.

Speaking of which, I have always found it interesting that Gil knows that the Grail is a Servant

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Fate Zero is the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Except more entertaining. It was flashy and added a bunch of awkward lines that never quite matched up with the original content.
basically what I'm saying is Archer Shot first.

Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Yeah it had some flaws, but I have to agree with Beef, for someone familiar with the work, which lets face it, is basically the target audience, it hit all the right notes. I kind of want to watch it all back to back again. I'm going to miss it :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Yes, once the grail's nature is revealed.

Speaking of which, I have always found it interesting that Gil knows that the Grail is a Servant

When you've had the black goop inside of you, you begin to know how it functions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That innuendo doesn't work very well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once you go black, you need a black hole.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Innuendo

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Beef Chief posted:

When you've had the black goop inside of you, you begin to know how it functions.
Pure spite and crazy?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

Once you go black, you need a black hole.

Good enough.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Shanakin posted:

Fate Zero is the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Except more entertaining. It was flashy and added a bunch of awkward lines that never quite matched up with the original content.
basically what I'm saying is Archer Shot first.

Basicly?

People complaining about things from Fate/Zero not showing up, is like people complaining Jar Jar is not running around with the Rebels in A New Hope.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In the next release, old Kotomine will be digitally replaced with young Kotomine.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I'm just glad UBW is done so they can get on to HF, My Favorite of the three routes.

I hope it will be good!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope it's bad because I want you to be sad

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

I hope it's bad because I want you to be sad

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I wake up to 52 shitposts, good job assholes.

Honestly, I will not say that the story/adaption of UBW is perfect or even good, but the people who have been complaining sound really hyperbolic about the most minor poo poo. And then you still complain when people give explanations.

Namtab, I like your forum chant, kudos tho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread has made me hate Fate Zero. Goddamn.

"B-but Fate Zero!!!":qqsay:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't hate Fate/Zero, I hate the people in this thread who go, "But Fate/Zero," :qqsay:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's not that crazy to want the show to go a bit more in depth into how some things from Zero relate to the current story in a way that the source material never could. And it's also pretty reasonable for someone who hasn't read the vn to wonder how the series went from an actually pretty decent show to this mess.

The worst thing about the thread is the defensive whining that seems to pop up whenever someone so much as mentions the word zero.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It's not that crazy to want the show to go a bit more in depth into how some things from Zero

Help, eyes blurring... concentration fading...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It's not that crazy to want the show to go a bit more in depth into how some things from Zero relate to the current story in a way that the source material never could. And it's also pretty reasonable for someone who hasn't read the vn to wonder how the series went from an actually pretty decent show to this mess.

The worst thing about the thread is the defensive whining that seems to pop up whenever someone so much as mentions the word zero.

Why couldn't they change yoda's talking in empire strikes back to reflect midiclorians

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I disagree.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

make the show the way I want darn you :qqsay:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Luvia wasn't mispronouncing shirou's name she was saying zhero which is why Rin got so angry

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All the children itt need to read the vn or the lp of the vn

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You know if there's one thing worse than Zero Posts it's Seorin's hilarious collection of gay jokes.

Do not read the lp

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But you just said the gay jokes ar efunny why would anyone NOT read the lp

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I guess I can't argue with that logic

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2015

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Fans of other sorts of things that get adapted into various media seem to consider the various adaptations of their thing as basically independent (see the ASOIAF fans comparing "book Stannis" to "TV Stannis"); anime fans don't do this (see all the attempts to claim things in this show make sense because of...things the show never shew* or anyone claiming things that happen only in an anime adaptation of a manga "didn't happen").

'sup with all that?

*Shut up spellcheck, that's a word.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well the TV adapatation of ASOIAF has different stuff happening in it compared to the book, while this adaptation of FSN is basically identical to the original with a few bonus scenes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Because most anime adaptations are nothing but glorified advertisements for their source material, which is not how it goes with Game of Thrones or whatever.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Dzhay posted:

'sup with all that?
What's been previously stated, also because most things that have been mentioned have been presented in the show but not as explicitly stated as in the VN. The show makes sense with all the information presented to you, but if you want to sperg about what's going on you're going to have to go to the even more word heavy version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Everyone said the thing.

• Locked thread