Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nice thread tag fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Brotherhood is an interesting curiosity but I don't think it's actually better than the manga in any particular way. I mean it's not that well animated and there's still a decent amount of cut content that disrupts the pacing. In fact the first 20 or so episodes are almost unacceptable and require either watching the first series or reading the bloody manga anyway to get any real sense of what "actually happened". Really the best thing I can say about Brotherhood is that some of the openings are catchy.
Iunno, I've shown just Brotherhood to people and they've gotten everything fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the only really bad thing is Yoki just sort of showing up, but you don't really need to see an entire episode about it to get what's going on there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

And to be fair it's kind of what Yoki deserves anyway
excuse you he ran pride over in a jeep. the man is a hero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah 2003 tried to build up envy as this big villain (because he killed hughes i guess) but he's a lot more interesting when he spends half the series trapped in a glass jar doing basically nothing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wrath doesn't fit him, but it works amazingly well considering who kills him in the manga/brotherhood.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how the 03 anime and the manga went in completely different directions with the religion thing. 03 was pretty 'heh, where's your god now, dad.' but the manga was more agnostic. Maybe even quasi-religious - it seemed to posit that there was a god, but that you didn't necessarily have to worship him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm pretty sure god didn't actually give a gently caress either as long as you weren't trying to bring back people from the dead or subvert him
god totally had the assist in the scar vs wrath fight

well, god, old man fu, and that guy with the crab arm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arakawa mentioned that she actually went around and talked to a lot of former soldiers, which probably has a lot to do with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeha, the first ~10 or so episodes of brotherhood are basically just a recap of the early chapters with some weak humor thrown in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The fourth ending is also good. Those intro chords are the best way to end an episode.

"Behold - our immortal army!"

NEOW NEOOOOW, NEOW NEOW, NEOOOOOOOW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, brotherhood's pretty much just the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

.Clash posted:

There are a lot of little things in the manga the anime couldn't fit in. A ton of the ishbal war flashback was cut too.
They made OVAs that covered some of that stuff.

• Locked thread