Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth.

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, known in English as: Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga series by Hiromu Arakawa starring the Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse, following their pursuit of a chance to return to their original forms after the horrific backlash from failed attempt to bring their mother, Trisha, back from the dead via Alchemy cost Ed an arm and leg, and Alphonse his entire body. Running from 2001 to 2010 in Square Enix's Monthly Shonen Gangan, Fullmetal Alchemist has been incredibly successful, spawning 2 full series, two movies, several video games, and a whole host of other content.

Characters:

Edward Elric:

The main character, and older brother, Edward Elric wants nothing more than to fix what he views as his own personal mistake and restore his younger brother, Al's body back to normal. While Ed's arm and leg were lost to the Gate of Truth and replaced with Automail prosthetics, he has in exchange become able to perform alchemy without needing to draw a circle, instead clapping his hands to transmute whatever he needs. Sometimes preoccupied with his height (or lack thereof), Edward can be brash and stubborn, and in his pursuit of the truth of alchemy gets in over his had more than once.

Alphonse Elric:

The younger of the Elric brothers. Having lost his body entirely, Alphonse has become bound to a suit of armor by a seal composed of Edward's blood. The more polite and level-headed of the two, Al is nevertheless almost as stubborn as Edward when push comes to shove. While Alphonse still performs alchemy using transmutation circles, being stuck in a 7 foot tall suit of metal armor has made him act as the muscle of the two, having never lost to his brother while sparring.

The first anime series, Fullmetal Alchemist, is well known for branching off around 15-20 episodes in and becoming it's own thing separate from the Manga. Both series are phenomenal shows and have their own separate strengths and weaknesses. While the first is darker, both do a great job of balancing humor and serious moments and contain sufficient punchman action.

This OP is by no means complete and I plan to add more to it, so if there's anything you'd like in it please let me know, and as an equivalent exchange please post!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

nice thread tag fucker

lmao I knew I was going to gently caress something up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I haven't read it in a long time but I remember it not being as good as the anime in 7th grade

The first anime is definitely darker if that's your thing, and it has the better visuals and sound of the two. It feels like a lot of characters just kind of slip by the wayside in it though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The manga is definitely the best iteration of the lot. There was a brief time early on in its life, when a lot of the foreshadowing and foundations for later awesome events had yet to transpire, that I think it could be argued that the first anime was better because it was a bit bolder/riskier/darker and since it was mostly able to tell a complete story a hell of a lot sooner (since it finished first). I think all told Bones did an admirable job of what they were given as a starting point. But it became a moot once the manga starting to pick up; basically no aspect of the story in the manga is not satisfactory at its worst or fan-loving-tastic at its best.

Brotherhood is an interesting curiosity but I don't think it's actually better than the manga in any particular way. I mean it's not that well animated and there's still a decent amount of cut content that disrupts the pacing. In fact the first 20 or so episodes are almost unacceptable and require either watching the first series or reading the bloody manga anyway to get any real sense of what "actually happened". Really the best thing I can say about Brotherhood is that some of the openings are catchy.

Yoki in particular is pretty egregious.

Also openings 3 and 5 own, 5 in particular is a fantastic sendoff to the franchise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah the only really bad thing is Yoki just sort of showing up, but you don't really need to see an entire episode about it to get what's going on there.

And to be fair it's kind of what Yoki deserves anyway

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

The most metal anime is Detroit Metal City please change the thread title TIA

No

And it may be metal but it's not Fullmetal

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

I like how the 03 anime and the manga went in completely different directions with the religion thing. 03 was pretty 'heh, where's your god now, dad.' but the manga was more agnostic. Maybe even quasi-religious - it seemed to posit that there was a god, but that you didn't necessarily have to worship him.

I'm pretty sure god didn't actually give a gently caress either as long as you weren't trying to bring back people from the dead or subvert him

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

god totally had the assist in the scar vs wrath fight

well, god, old man fu, and that guy with the crab arm

Wrath was super gung-ho about helping his dad subvert god, he had it coming

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Back when FMA aired on YTV I spent longer than I'd like to admit thinking Bradley's actual title was the Fuhrer-King.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Does the philosopher's stone count as a macguffin? We're told in fairly grotesque detail exactly how they're produced and used, aren't macguffins generally distant, unexplained sources of power/goals?

It counts in the first anime but not the second I would say

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

the 1st brotherhood op is good

They're all good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

FMA is partly about tempering knowledge/scientific progress with compassion and understanding for others and Father is all knowledge and no compassion, hence why his final fate is to be dragged back through the Gate while hysterically begging for the Truth to tell him what he did wrong. Dante was sort of weak tea in comparison.

I liked how Dante's plot was overall much smaller scale than Father's "become a god" and that there was no super grandiose scheme.

Lady just wanted to bodysurf for eternity :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The manga does a better job putting Ed's sin in perspective too with the whole grave digging scene.

Didn't something similar happen in the first anime too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not that I recall, but I'd think such a scene would be incompatible with the altered origins of the homunculi.

Been years since I watched the original series though, so maybe.

Considering they only weaken when exposed to their original bones I'm almost certain Ed dug up his own mother's grave so he could kill her.

• Locked thread