Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here is the link to the old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564355

Some of you may remember me as the guy that did analysis work on your sites and AdWords accounts in the old thread. I’ve been performing audits/analyses ranging in scope and scale for years at my agency.

In the old thread, I did over two dozen analyses and a few of you went on run successful sites. I’ll let the owners come out and talk about their success if they want to. I haven’t kept up with the success stories from the old thread, or what they have done to stay viable in their niche and I would be curious to hear how they turned out. A lot has changed in digital marketing since the old thread was open and I figured that there should be a thread to discuss it. Below is lx2036 OP and guide to starting up a new business selling stuff online.

Below that is a few added sections on channels and tools to help new sites or existing ones.

=====================================
Basic Overview of Making Money Online

So, there are several ways to make money online. All involve selling a product or service. The basic idea is that the farther you get away from the product the less money you make, but you also have the added benefit of less customer hassle and less business management. This is a general rule, and is subject to change based on your particular situation. So, let’s begin with a general summary of internet business ideas, starting furthest away from the product.

Simple advertising: This is simply running a successful blog or website with high enough traffic that you can make a reasonable profit from advertising alone. It should be noted that simply putting up Google adsense is not enough. To be profitable, you must learn the entire platform of AdSense and tailor the ads to your website. There are also methods of identifying niche blogs that would gain more traffic than a random “good idea”, so if using this approach sound due diligence should be practiced before starting the blog.

Pros:
a. Just about the easiest way to start making money.
b. Can be started in any niche of passion. Does not have to be related to a product.
c. Can be a great way to build a ‘list’. (Lists can be used to make lots of cash through JVs (joint ventures) by broadcasting a sales letter and splitting profit.)
d. If there are applicable products that can be pushed, this is an excellent way to make a hybrid business by combining affiliate advertising.

Cons:
a. While money can be high, it will most likely not be enough to free you from a 9-5.
b. To maintain a readership, frequent posting is often needed. I.e. 1-2 posts per week.
c. Advertising the blog is typically not an option, so this business is based chiefly on Google search rankings and can take some time to rank for a specific keyword phrase. (and to build readership and make money)

Affiliate advertising: Rather than get paid for someone clicking on an ad, you get paid a commission of a product if it sells. This is done through a special link or ad on your website that contains tracking information so that if someone clicks on it, they are then taken to, let’s say, amazon.com and if they buy the product you are awarded a commission of the product. This is usually somewhere between 5-15% of the total sales price. However, affiliate programs outside of Amazon have been known to be as high as 75% (such as online degrees). Others offer a flat rate, such as giving $200 every time someone signs up for a special credit card deal. The way people typically capitalize on this type of business is to create a blog or review site in a specific niche and write about these products; then providing the affiliate link if someone chooses to buy.

Pros:
a. No customer support
b. No initial investment
c. Substantial increase in profit over ‘Simple Advertising’ business concept
d. Lower maintenance than ‘Simple Advertising’ business concept
e. Can be combined with the above business concept (and motherfucking should)

Cons:
a. Relies heavily on Google organic search ranking
b. Total profit, while significantly higher than above, is severely limited. This makes paid advertising usually not an option. So, money sucks, brah

Information Products: This is where it’s at. Ideally. (provided you don’t vomit poo poo into an ebook and try to sell it) This is where you identify a niche that could benefit from an information product, let say: how to make pasta. You then research, then write a guide/ebook around this niche. It’s important to note a few things. First of all, this is not a gimmick. You must really research, and write the best possible guide to the best of your ability. Additionally, this is going to be a legitimate business and must be treated as such. Alsoooo, don’t be afraid of writing about a niche you know very little about. Often a newb will write the best beginner guide due to their understanding of someone’s complete lack of experience in said niche. So, pros and cons:

Pros:
a. Huge profitability. If done with electronic delivery, margins are near complete profit.
b. Customer service is surprising low in that you can issue a full refund with any complaint and lose no investment.
c. There is no cash initial investment.
d. No inventory means the business is infinitely scalable. I.e. only limited by your ability to draw traffic to the sales page.

Cons:
a. (VERY) Large initial investment of time. (it should be noted that testing PRIOR to creating a guide will limit loss of effort)

Drop-shipping Products: This is where products are shipped by the manufacturer or a dropshipping business (more on this in a sec) on your behalf. They will then charge you a handling fee, add the shipping and cost of the actual product, and send you a bill at the end of the month. An alternate form of this is where the manufacturer has a special website that you input orders into and have them charged to your credit card but shipped to the customer. The best thing about this setup is that you can actually sell shippable products with no initial investment. Let me say this again for emphasis: the customer buys from you, and then you use that money to buy the product to ship to them and keep the profit. Earlier I mentioned dropshipping business. This is where a company has a warehouse or series of warehouses that hold a very large assortment of products. Their inventory is integrated into their online website where you then can browse and pick stuff to sell on your website.

Pros:
a. No initial investment required
b. No making orders when supplies get low
c. margins are high due to the product being available to you at manufactures price
d. typically deals with damaged or defective products

Cons:
a. Not all manufacturers offer a dropshipping option (see fulfillment centers below for a solution to this problem)

Fulfillment center based business. (this is what model my business is based off of) A fulfillment center is a company that has a very large warehouse and stocks other companies’ products. They then (though some sort of online website integration) pick, box, and ship products on your behalf. They typically charge a monthly fee, a monthly storage rate (based on warehouse spaced used), a picking fee (often referred to as handling), and the shipping cost. A neat benefit of this is that because they ship many companies’ products their shipping rate is usually significantly discounted, often offsetting all of their other fees.

Pros
a. A great solution to selling products from a manufacturer that did not have a dropship option.
b. Discounted shipping often will turn an expense into yielding a little bit of profit.

Cons
a. Requires an initial investment of capital to stock the warehouse.
b. While you can setup notification of low stock, you would still be responsible for placing orders.

Product Requirements

Think of these more as guidelines instead of absolute rules. The only exception being #1.

1. Start with something that is within your passion: I was a big believer in just covering your bases by making money first, then pursuing your passions after. However, after seeing many people try and not succeed due to simply ‘burning out’, I’ve come to embrace this as a requirement. Simply put: pick something that will hold your interest throughout your learning process.

2. Price Point: This is a big deal, as we will use it to filter customers.
-Min max
--Minimum price point of $50. The reason for this is that cheap people buy cheap products. If they do not have discretionary income then they will be much more critical of their purchase as well as taking advantage of any warranty or money-back guarantees. So, we set the bar at a minimum of $50 simply to out-price those bad customers.
--Maximum price point of $300. This is really a soft rule, but understand why it’s even here in the first place: higher cost means that someone may be uneasy about laying down that much cash at a business they’ve never seen. This means that you are more likely to get calls from people wanting to make sure it’s not just a scam. Most of this however, can be avoided by making a very trustworthy site.

3. Low number of customers: let’s say you have a product that sells for $50 and one for $100. The % of profit is the same. If you could sell 100 of the $50 or 50 of the $100, which would you rather sell? The $100 of course! The lower number of customers means the lower your customer service will be. Also, by increasing price you can further price out bad customers. Win-sauce all around

4. Limited variation: this basically excludes poo poo that you would sell in many different color options, sizes, or features. Think: jeans. Too many sizes you’d have to stock. Same with colors or features. Read on.
-Inventory costs: the more selection you offer, the more inventory you’ll need to purchase. This is bad. Especially with something that has many variations and sizes. Also, it leaves more room for orders to get messed up, or customers to change their mind. Speaking of customers thinking, we don’t want that. Why?
--Eliminate indecision: it’s proven that the more choice a consumer has, the more likely they will be unable to make a choice. If they can’t choose, they won’t buy. Mr. Ford put it best when talking about the model ‘T’: “The customer can have any color they like, so long as it’s black.”

4. Shipability: shipping can have an impact on your choice of products, here’s why.
-Avoid fragile products: obviously shipping out champagne glasses would suck compared to an equally priced/sized product because the glasses are more likely to break. This will result in a pissed off customer, a call, and a return. If you can avoid it, do.
--Weight: avoid overly heavy products. The maximum UPS or FedEx will ship is around 65lbs. And that poo poo is expensive. Even if you’re under the cut-off point, keep in mind that shipping cost is based on weight, so the lighter the product the better. This can open you up to offering free shipping, which will increase trust on your site.
---Size: same deal as above. Even if your product is light, it may be large, which could be bad. Shippers also calculate what they call ‘dimensional weight’ which is based on a calculation of LxWxHx(somenumber) which will give the dimensional weight. If the dimensional weight is larger than the actual weight, you are charged at the dimensional weight price.

5. Marketability test: make sure your product passes the marketability test. That is, is there ALREADY an existing market for your product? The easiest way to determine this is to google your niche. Are people advertising? If yes, then you passed. If no, be careful. Many a wonderful idea and invention has been brought to market after many years of blood, sweat, and tears only to find that nobody ACTUALLY wanted it. The marketability test helps us avoid this pitfall. Keep in mind, there is the chance that your niche is actually new, where a product is wanted, but nobody has capitalized on it yet commercially. This is rare, but possible. Use your best judgement and try to do so without being seduced by the niche you’re exploring. Be objective.

6. Ease of use/simplicity: the easier it is to use, the lest customer calls/complaints you’ll have to deal with. When given equal products of varying complexity, always opt for the simple widget.

7. American manufacturing: awesome benefits.
-Lead time to ship: this is the time it takes from when you place an order to when you can actually ship the product to a customer. When dealing with international manufacturers lead time to ship is usually huge. Consider the following. Orders are received next day (usually) to time difference (-1day). Payment takes longer due to the use of intermediary banks and currency conversion (-2days). Manufacturing (normal). Shipping (by air -1-2 weeks, by sea -4-8weeks). Clearing customs (-1-2weeks). Shipping to warehouse (normal). Total lost time: 4-12 weeks of lost use of capital.
--Liability: if you are an American business and import something from another country for sale in the US, YOU are legally the manufacturer. Annddd therefore LIABLE for any injury or legal claim resulting from a manufacturing defect. (big deal, and might influence your legal structure)
---Disagreement: if there is a disagreement with an American company, you have easy legal recourse. If you have a disagreement with a, let’s say Chinese company, good luck.
----Dropship: probably the best perk of American manufacturing is that you most likely have the option to drop ship. European manufacturers do as well, it’s just shipping for individual items across the pond typically exclude this as an option for them.

8. Option to dropship versus fulfilment center: obviously the perks of a dropship arrangement would be more attractive. So, if given an option between two equal niches, pick the one that has a manufacturer that dropships.

9. Minimum net profit of $250,000 (initial calcs @ 1% conversion and 30% profit margin) this should be a rule. Using market samurai, calculate your annual possible profit:

SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = AP (annual profit)

The ranges we typically use are conversion rated of 1%, .6% or .3% based on what we feel will sell. For example, higher priced products typically have lower conversion rates. For profit margin, use 40%, 30%, or 20% based on competition in the niche. The more competitive it is, the lower the margin will typically be.
-So, why $250,000? If a niche passes this test then we can proceed with testing and reasonably assume that even if testing goes poorly, it will still not have been a waste of time. If the business is only ten percent successful we will still make $25,000/year. Enough to sustain ourselves at the very least. Better put: if our conversion is only 33% o what we assumed, and the margin is half of what we thought, we’re still profitable at $37,000/year.
--This guideline also helps us avoid ‘pet’ projects. Those little ideas that we cling to thinking they’d be amazing one day, or once people realize the product exists, or whatever. Those things are nice, but get money coming in first, then feel free to rub the guidelines once you know what you’re doing.
***EDIT*** Market samurai has made some major updates. Read this to make a bit more sense of it. Also, there ARE alternatives to MS, such as longtail keyword planner or just using google for free. Once you understand how competition and traffic play into a niche, it really doesn't matter what you use.

Basic Series of Steps to Starting a Product Based Business

1. Identify product niche

-Come up with initial ideas. Do not focus too much on one specific idea. These typically don’t pass the product guidelines mentioned above. The important thing is to write them down and use them for your keyword research in market samurai. An example of this is that when I was doing research for the Whiskey Still Company, the keyword was ‘moonshine still’ which failed miserably. However, ‘whiskey still’ worked out quite nicely. So how do you come up with these initial keywords?

+Brainstorm – Yea, that simple.

+Amazon – Go to amazon.com and click all departments. Then browse their departments. Also, their magazine department is pretty enlightening when it comes to niches. *Pro-Tip – once you choose a department, drill down until the ‘sort by price’ option is available. Sort by $100-$300, and back up to the department view then arrange by average customer review. This method is gold*

+Magazines – go to a bookstore and browse the magazines. Pay attention to the different types as well as the ads in them

+Catalogs – out of curiosity I was browsing through a Cabela’s catalog at work (/what’s that?!) and they are absolutely amazing sources of ideas and information. They even tell you if they dropship. (like the 3 person sauna they were selling “this product is shipped directly by the manufacturer” too easy)

2. Plug into market samurai (or google keyword tool, but for the sake of this guide, all numbers are in MS)
Once you have a list if keywords to throw into market samurai, do it. Then work your magic. Always keep in mind the product requirements from above, but now we’ll add a bit more to your plate: Niche Requirements
--SEOT – usually I won’t consider a niche unless the SEOT is at least 1,000. This may change in the future, but as it stands now, there’s no reason to waste your time on anything under 1,000 because they are so plentiful (even when including the following requirements) I usually set the filter at SEOT=500 so I can see what’s out there. So, filter @ 500, minimum @ 1,000
--PBR – Phrase to Broad match Ratio. This is the chief indicator of relevance and must be at least 15% for a niche. I usually set the filter at 10%. 50-80% is godlike. For instance kitty house might have a pbr of 5%, and you’re like WTF? Then you realize ‘hello kitty’ has a pbr of 79% and you’re like awwwwwwwww damnnnnn.

**EDIT** thanks unixbeard
"Is SEOT daily or monthly" "Should i be using broad partial or exact"

SEOT is daily, and you should be set to broad. Moreover, for goons in different regions, make sure you select the region. I realize that this will affect the $250k rule below if you're in a small region, so you've got harder decisions to make because it will probably take awhile to find a niche, and you may end up throwing in the towel and settling for something less.

3.SEOC – Search Engine Optimization Competition
Search Engine Optimization Competition is a complicated subject. For the real quick once over, anything below 300,000 is good and accessible. However, this is only a general indicator. The way I approach this is if it is under 300k I will investigate the top 10 under market samurai’s SEOC module. If it is 2,000,000 or under, but very attractive, I will also pull the SEOC module information with the understanding that it may be difficult to break into. All of that being said, the SEOC module will be the determining factor for passing this test. In general, green is good, red is bad. Pages with PR (google page rank) 0 or 1 and pages with DA (domain age) of 2 or less in the top ten is a great indication you’ll do well. The absolute best indication is to review the URL of each webpage in the top 10. Does the keyword appear in the domain? If not, usually you’re good to go. This go or no-go decision based on SEOC and top-ten will be the most difficult decision you will make in internet business. Do not take this lightly, and do not hesitate to contact others for advice.

4.Select products
Here you do your due diligence and in a timely manner discover most of the products for your niche/keyword phrase and choose ONE to sell. I would recommend basing the initial research off of the amazon reviews. Also, this particular manufacturer/model my change in the future, but selecting one model now is important because it lets us proceed with testing.

5.Create testing website
This is where you will create a website, an actual real website, from which to sell your products. In the next step we will pay for advertising to send real people to your website to see if they will actually buy what you’re selling. Several important points to take away from this idea are:

--This is a testing website… DO NOT put too much time and effort into making this perfect. If the conversion is too low, it may be scrapped.

--Conversely, do not do this step too quick. Trust is a HUGE factor in online conversion. If you do a quick and lovely job, the conversion rate will be grossly under represented and you may have lost a good niche along with a bit of effort.

--Keep in mind that when you perform this test, this will be the absolute worst your business will ever perform. With learning and testing, your conversion will only increase.

--Also, setup payment services and link them to your paypal account.

6.Test conversion
So, you will send people here through google adwords (I say adwords, but there are other options out there, like renting lists, but that’s a little too deep for this article) So, basic steps:

--Setup google analytics on your page. Google it… (this may be a little complicated, contact me if you can’t figure it out)

--Setup a google adwords account (along with billing information)

--Use whatever credit you have (like the code for $100 if you use shopify as your shopping cart)
--Create your ads

--Do a final check of everything including the website and checkout. It’s important that you can receive orders, you can just cancel them later.

--Turn on the adwords campaign.
---The longer you can let your campaign run, the more data you can get, and the more accurate your test will be. However, there’s a trade off. A longer test costs more money and if your niche CPC (cost-per-click) is high (like $2.00/click), this will be a limiting factor. I would say you would want a bare minimum of 200 visitors, 600 would be better, and ideally 1,000+.
---Now, turn off the campaign. Divide your completed (and then canceled) orders by the total number of clicks you paid for. This is your test conversion, and will be used in your calculations for your go/no-go decision.

7.Register business
Your manufacturers will require a business ID, so you must register your business at your county clerk’s office. In Texas this only costs $15. This will also be needed when you open your business checking account (below).

8.Contact manufacturers (pricing/dropshipping)
Now you contact the manufacturers you found in your initial research, or do more research and contact those peeps. In my experience this was a MAJOR hangup for me. So, here are a few solutions:

--Find someone who sells the product, preferably a big box store. They usually show off the manufacturer in the details, or you can read it from a picture. Google searches will take it from there.

--Check out alibaba.com or thomasnet.com

--PROTIP: got a picture, but the people selling it don’t want you to know the real manufacturer? Do a google reverse image search. This also works well for identifying competitors.
---Once you have the manufacturer and they have approved you they will send you a pricing sheet. This is the final piece of data that you will use in your calculations for your go/no-go decision because it will give you your final test profit margin.

9.GO/NO-GO DECISION:
Remember this equation “SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = AP (annual profit)”? Well, now you apply your test data and subtract 5% for the overhead of running an online business. (go to alibaba.com and find a similar product to determine your possible cost)

--Organic success – If your profit is now acceptable enough to justify the effort you will need to put into ranking organically, rock on! go Go GO! (and remember, this is the weakest your business will perform) (also, keep in mind that the higher the competition, the more you will need to work, and the longer it will take to rank #1, so it’s not all sunshine and dasies)

--AdWords success – This is what you realllllly want. If your CPC is low enough, then you can start making money immediately. For this test, divide your CPC by your conversion (CPC/Conv). This will give you your average cost per conversion. Simply subtract this from your profit margin, and re-run the numbers.
---Let’s be clear: if your margin is only $30, and your CPC and conversion is $0.50 and 1% respectively then CPC/Conv = $0.50/.01 = $50. So, if we pay $50 to get one person to buy something that only makes us $30, the test obviously fails.

--If your adwords margins are low or in the negative (like the example) this may merely mean that you cannot start with adwords, but as your organic work grows, your website will gain creditability and your CPC will go down.

--Using this information, you can make three decisions: scrap, life support, or go Go GO!!!
---Scrap – if the test falls on its face and it is clear people don’t want your poo poo, bail.
---Life support – if the profit is a close negative or not where you want it, I’d suggest leaving it up and working on it maybe once a week or two. The goal of this is to gain domain age, and the occasional link or two. After awhile you should rerun the test. You may find that the CPC will go down, or you might start to get a trickle of traffic that makes it profitable.
---go Go GOOOO!!!! This will be obvious. Bust out your conversion and traffic skills after completing the next few steps.

10. Make initial investment
If your manufacturer does not offer dropshipping, you will need to make an initial purchase of inventory as well as find a fulfillment center.

-For fulfillment centers, google that poo poo. Just keep in mind you want to make sure they can integrate with your shopping cart, else there will be a lot of needless work for everyone. Tim Ferriss also had some good words to say about choosing a fulfillment center in the 4 hour work week somewhere.

-For your initial investment, you can spend a lot, or spend the minimum order price. Keep these thoughts in mind:
--grow your business much much faster.
--Spending less limits risk (due to a bad test) and lets you stay flexible. Being flexible means you may find out that people prefer an alternative product, and you may need to switch.
--My thought: if the test was successful with more than 1,000 test subjects, spend as much as you can. If less than 1,000, weigh the pros and cons.
iv. If you have issues coming up with capitol, contact me. We *might* be able to work something out.

--Complete the step below, then send an order and check to the manufacturer.

11. Create business checking account
Shop around for a bank that offers business checking accounts. I use wells fargo and overall I’m unhappy with the personal service. Also, they are greedy as poo poo and hit you with all sorts of fees. However, after using them for awhile I can get around all of them. So, think about this when you’re interviewing banks. Once you get one, you’ll need to deposit cash to work out of. It’s important that you keep your personal and business finances COMPLETELY separate from this point forward. NEVER withdrawal cash from your business checking account unless you fully understand what it will do accounting and tax wise. If you want to pay yourself, write a check. (the bill-pay and direct deposit services are awesome for paying people and yourself)

12.BONUS: Setup merchant account/credit card processing (paypal, initially)
So you’ll be using paypal to accept payments, and that’s fine, but it’s unprofessional and lowers conversion. So, you’ll eventually want to run with the big dogs and have payment processing done without leaving your website. Paypal offers this service, but they have a horrible initiation period, so screw that. Contact your bank and ask them about merchant services. Often they’ll be linked to a service provider like authorize.net (whom I use) and you can setup everything through them (the bank). This can be confusing as hell trying to setup, but stick to it. Also, you will be able to negotiate the rate (the price and fees the credit companies charge). So, do that. Negotiate.

-This would also be a good time to create a separate paypal account for your business. I’d suggest calling them first because you’ll have to anyway.

Tools

Competition Analyzing

Market Samurai - Tool to see how much competition is in your niche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxN5KjOLDXg
http://www.marketsamurai.com/

SEMrush - A better tool to see rough ad spends of competitors and their keywords in adwords/bing.
http://www.semrush.com

Quick Sprout - Once your site is built, use this to see areas of SEO you are missing. You can plug in your competitors and compare your site to theirs. Great for technical SEO.
http://www.quicksprout.com/

Ghostery - Tag analysis tool that lets you see what competitor is doing on their site. Are they running G Analytics? Are they using Optimizely (if so drop this niche)?
https://www.ghostery.com/en/

Internal

Google Analytics - Install their code on your site and link it to your G Analytics account, its free and one of the best analytic services out there. You can also connect it to your Adwords account.
http://www.google.com/analytics/why
https://www.ghostery.com/en/

Pay Per Click

AdWords - A Great channel that is primary function is fulfilling demand. You got a product or service and want to get in front of people looking for your solution? This is where you go. Its similar to phone book marketing in 80s, but its much more powerful. AdWords is complex and it is very easy to blow your entire budget on poor keyword choices by using AdWords Express, or setting match type to broad. Nevertheless, its a staple of internet marketing that every business does.
http://www.google.com/adwords/

Bing - A cheaper alternative to AdWords. There is less competition, with cheaper clicks, than on AdWords. However there are far less searchers. Bing/Yahoo has roughly 30% of search market while Google controls 60%. What I have found is companies that have a hard time staying viable using AdWords can make a switch to Bing and perform relatively well.
http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/

Comparison Shopping Engines - These are sites that lists products from vendors with pricing. Amazon is one, but there many out there that have their own pros and cons. Shopzilla, PriceGrabber, Google Shopping, Bing Shopping, Houz, etc. However, Google Shopping (which is setup within AdWords) has by far the most growth in the past few years, and is the most effective.

Native Advertising

I am still not certain if I should put this in the OP since most of you will never need or do Native, but I felt I should make you aware of its existences.

Native Advertising is a way content sites like Buzz Feed, The Atlantic, News Week, etc can earn extra money with content produced by Brands instead of banner ads. This is a new form of digital marketing that doesn’t have best practices yet. Some companies produce content that is a blatant ad for their company, while others produce effect content that people want to read and consume.

The purpose, if it all, for start ups is generating backlinks to your site on legitimately large sites. Sometimes the links are a no follow, which doesn’t help your site out really, but the possibly of the right person stumbling onto your article and then going to your site is much higher now.

Here are a few native ads distribution platforms.
http://www.nativo.net/
http://www.outbrain.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc

Inbound Marketing (SEO & Content Marketing)

If were to start up a new business, most likely I would invest my time and money in developing my on site technical SEO and creating quality content. SEO should be viewed as a foundation to your site, much like a house, not as a solution to your lack of traffic. Content however, is a great use of your time and money.

Content creation and promotion is a strategy with long lasting effect that will result in more revenue over time. With paid ads you are renting traffic from search engines. With SEO you are optimizing for Google’s current algorithm. With content, you are driving relevant traffic and creating an evergreen piece of content that will continue to help your site long after publishing.

With that said, inbound marketing is a huge topic with many strategies and points of view. I am leaving out descriptions on social marketing purposely since it really falls into inbound marketing.

Screaming Frog - A great tool that you can quickly pull your site’s tags and export them into file to manipulate offline. Use this to check your yoast work.
http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/

Bottlenose - Remember the Google Wonder Wheel? Bottlenose has one of the best Wonder Wheel alternatives, providing a quick visualization of topics related to your core topics.
http://sonar.bottlenose.com/

KeywordTool.io - is my go-to source for long-tail keyword variations. You won’t find search traffic numbers or trend data, but skimming a long-tail list should help you better understand the conversation around the topic and the needs of your customer base.
http://keywordtool.io/

ClearVoice - is a great tool for influencer research, but it also shows you “Popular Topics.” If you find an influencer in the space, click through to their profile to see what they’re saying about your topic.
https://clearvoice.com/search

Social Mention - searches a bunch of blogs, microblogs, social comments, YouTube and more.
http://socialmention.com/

Content Strategy Helper - by BuiltVisible really shows off the power of utilizing Google Docs for API integration. This Google Spreadsheet tool integrates Topsy, Google Insights, Reddit, and much more. Sure, it’s a hack, but it’s a great tool for quickly accessing content conversation data.
http://builtvisible.com/content-strategy-generator-tool-v2-update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Glad for your help next year on analysis. Here's hoping to send more your way, although most of what I'm doing lately is straight dev instead of metrics work.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

Glad for your help next year on analysis. Here's hoping to send more your way, although most of what I'm doing lately is straight dev instead of metrics work.

So, I'll talk with you in what... about 1.2 years? lol I hate dev work.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to simplify the OP's formula, but for some reason it's producing absurd numbers to the point that I don't think it's doable for most niches?

First we plug 250,000 into our AP, our minimum number

SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Next we google SEOT to see that's it's calculated by taking the daily searches for a keyword times .42 to get the theoretical maximum number of possible hits for the #1 google result when searching that keyword

Daily Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Let's make that into monthly searches, since that's what keyword planner uses

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 12 = 250,000

Plug in our 0.01 for Conversion and .3 for profit margin

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * 0.01 * Retail Price * .3 * 12 = 250,000

Multiply all the known numbers

Monthly Searches * Retail Price * 0.01512 = 250,000

Divide by the number on both sides

Monthly Searches * Retail Price = 16,534,391~

Woah! That's a huge number. Let's round it, and also assume a middle of the road retail price of 100 dollars

Monthly Searches * 100 = 16,500,000

And divide

Monthly searches = 165,000

Okay, so what's an example of a niche item that has at least 165,000 average monthly searches and sells for 100 dollars?

That's just way too huge of a monthly search number for something we want to rank #1 in at such a high price.

Please advise. I'm really interested in trying to do this without market samurai, but I'm worried my calculations might be wrong with how absurd the minimum requirements are.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jon joe posted:

I'm trying to simplify the OP's formula, but for some reason it's producing absurd numbers to the point that I don't think it's doable for most niches?

First we plug 250,000 into our AP, our minimum number

SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Next we google SEOT to see that's it's calculated by taking the daily searches for a keyword times .42 to get the theoretical maximum number of possible hits for the #1 google result when searching that keyword

Daily Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 = 250,000

Let's make that into monthly searches, since that's what keyword planner uses

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 12 = 250,000

Plug in our 0.01 for Conversion and .3 for profit margin

Monthly Searches * 0.42 * 0.01 * Retail Price * .3 * 12 = 250,000

Multiply all the known numbers

Monthly Searches * Retail Price * 0.01512 = 250,000

Divide by the number on both sides

Monthly Searches * Retail Price = 16,534,391~

Woah! That's a huge number. Let's round it, and also assume a middle of the road retail price of 100 dollars

Monthly Searches * 100 = 16,500,000

And divide

Monthly searches = 165,000

Okay, so what's an example of a niche item that has at least 165,000 average monthly searches and sells for 100 dollars?

That's just way too huge of a monthly search number for something we want to rank #1 in at such a high price.

Please advise. I'm really interested in trying to do this without market samurai, but I'm worried my calculations might be wrong with how absurd the minimum requirements are.

You would be surprised how many products are searched that often. Also, $100 item is almost too low of a product and I would start at $500 as minimum personally. Take for example this company, https://wisesales.com.

They rank extremely well on the main product, honda generators (at the product and category level at least.) The key term "honda generator" has roughly 49.k searchs and with all its variations 600k. That is not even targeting product level or going long tail with the keywords.

With that said, there is fierce competition selling power equipment and probably wouldn't be a great niche to break into. However, there are tons of products out there most people don't think about on a regular basis, or even while researching, that have hundreds of thousands of searches every month. Products like this Panasonic's vent fans have over 160k monthly searches.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

Products like this Panasonic's vent fans have over 160k monthly searches.

I tried testing this one and the honda one. Honda actually checked out to have more than you suggested, but panasonic fan has 1,600 searches monthly average. Panasonic Vent fan, 170. Panasonic Vent, 70. I wonder how market samurai is pulling the numbers it is?

edit: plurals of those search terms give a bit more, but I'm still not seeing 160,000. What's the phrase to broad match ratio?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jon joe posted:

I tried testing this one and the honda one. Honda actually checked out to have more than you suggested, but panasonic fan has 1,600 searches monthly average. Panasonic Vent fan, 170. Panasonic Vent, 70. I wonder how market samurai is pulling the numbers it is?

edit: plurals of those search terms give a bit more, but I'm still not seeing 160,000. What's the phrase to broad match ratio?

No broad match. The campaign did have over 3,600 keywords, however. These included product name, sku numbers, colloquial, and branded terms.

I would suggest staying away from broad match keywords when you do decide to test campaigns.

Edit: My point is that you can take a relatively mundane item like that panasonic fan and get huge volume by adding every possible search query related to the product.

At that point volume isn't the problem, but return. Thats if you decide to run Adwords campaigns.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 30, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

No broad match. The campaign did have over 3,600 keywords, however. These included product name, sku numbers, colloquial, and branded terms.

I would suggest staying away from broad match keywords when you do decide to test campaigns.

Edit: My point is that you can take a relatively mundane item like that panasonic fan and get huge volume by adding every possible search query related to the product.

At that point volume isn't the problem, but return. Thats if you decide to run Adwords campaigns.

Okay, so just that I'm clear, the goal is to rank #1 for multiple related key words, not a singular broad match keyword, correct?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jon joe posted:

Okay, so just that I'm clear, the goal is to rank #1 for multiple related key words, not a singular broad match keyword, correct?

I believe the OP in the old thread suggested to rank #1 on the most searched term. If you can do that, a lot of other terms will follow. If you also run ads on the search terms you cant manage to rank well on, you will be doing great.

EDIT: To be clear, you will want to rank #1, or on the first page, on many keywords. However if you find a single search term with 50k searches every month, or even 5k, you can increase the search volume by a huge amount by going long tail, using product details, and with branded terms.

This is typically what I find for most products/services. Keep in mind this lovely graph is from my own experience. With that said, many experts find these conclusions as well within their client work.

Here are a few articles on this strategy.
http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/short-tail-vs-long-tail-keywords/
http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/study/2214529/head-vs-long-tail-keywords-analyzed-impressions-clicks-conversions-profitability
http://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo/keyword-research

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 30, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I have little interest in marketing, but I'd be happy to throw my hat into the ring to assist with wordpress, basic ecommerce, and hosting setup as well as tutoring. Most sites can be set up in under an hour and a quick skype screenshare can go a long way. You can PM me here, or email me at [username]@gmail.com if anyone needs answers or insights.

Anything under an hour or two should cover most people's questions and I could quote more advanced deployments if needed.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
The first goon found a miracle product and you're all gonna go busy opening websites that sell Chinese pizza ovens.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I do the niche selling stuff selling microscopes that are around $150, which I got the idea from the first OP. I'll mention this: make sure you have the profit margin here. My product cost is $96.85 per microscope, I sell exclusively on eBay which is the only place I've had success selling (I had a very nice website created, but getting volume is difficult). That means I eat shipping @ $12 each, 10% on the eBay fees, $5 on the Paypal transaction fees, and then the time to make the eBay setup look nice, product research (weeks), a logo, hosting, etc.

Although I've made money from it, it definitely isn't much, and now competitors are kind of vulturing in to undercut. And I make something like $15-$20 a sale without considering taxes. It's kind of worth it now that all the work has been done, but the sales still only lead to around $400-$500 per year net. It's passive income at this point, but I don't think I would've bothered in the beginning.

Basically do your best to ensure all your work doesn't go to waste. We had a Facebook group before for this called Goons Stacking Paper and most everyone burned out. Don't do that.

Check out The Millionaire Fastlane book it has some great ideas along the lines of this. The title sounds cheesy but it was recommended to me, and it's a really great read. It's very BFC friendly advice, too, so it's not like "go spend all your savings on a FroYo place".

Oh and use fiverr.com as a resource especially as you're getting started. I used SA Mart for a logo, but used fiverr for a phone message recording, etc. Be careful it's easy to spend more than $5. Be patient.

e added correct costs

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

I do the niche selling stuff selling microscopes that are around $150, which I got the idea from the first OP. I'll mention this: make sure you have the profit margin here. My product cost is $96.85 per microscope, I sell exclusively on eBay which is the only place I've had success selling (I had a very nice website created, but getting volume is difficult). That means I eat shipping @ $12 each, 10% on the eBay fees, $5 on the Paypal transaction fees, and then the time to make the eBay setup look nice, product research (weeks), a logo, hosting, etc.

Although I've made money from it, it definitely isn't much, and now competitors are kind of vulturing in to undercut. And I make something like $15-$20 a sale without considering taxes. It's kind of worth it now that all the work has been done, but the sales still only lead to around $400-$500 per year net. It's passive income at this point, but I don't think I would've bothered in the beginning.

Basically do your best to ensure all your work doesn't go to waste. We had a Facebook group before for this called Goons Stacking Paper and most everyone burned out. Don't do that.

Check out The Millionaire Fastlane book it has some great ideas along the lines of this. The title sounds cheesy but it was recommended to me, and it's a really great read. It's very BFC friendly advice, too, so it's not like "go spend all your savings on a FroYo place".

Oh and use fiverr.com as a resource especially as you're getting started. I used SA Mart for a logo, but used fiverr for a phone message recording, etc. Be careful it's easy to spend more than $5. Be patient.

e added correct costs

Those are pretty tight margins. Have you tested other CSEs like price grabber, g shopping, etc? If so was the margins too low or not enough volume?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Knyteguy posted:

e added correct costs

Yikes, that is a small profit margin. I think you would be better off doing affiliate marketing. Find something on Amazon that costs around $200 and then make a website that does reviews of that product. You'll make about $12 per sale but you don't have to go through all the shipping and order taking and all that other time consuming stuff.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 1, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

Those are pretty tight margins. Have you tested other CSEs like price grabber, g shopping, etc? If so was the margins too low or not enough volume?

I haven't but I'll look into that thanks.

Omits-Bagels posted:

Yikes, that is a small profit margin. I think you would be better off doing affiliate marketing. Find something on Amazon that costs around $200 and then make a website that does reviews of that product. You'll make about $12 per sale but you don't have to go through all the shipping and order taking and all that other time consuming stuff.

Hm alright I may look into this again after launching something else I've been working on for a little bit, which is a lead generation site. Kind of the similar because you don't have to make a sale necessarily, just find people who want to buy and hand them off.

As far as the review site goes though is it super niche like 1 website per product?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Do any of you marketing guys have any advice for me? I keep meaning to pursue this and stop. (I even PM'd Golden Bee once).

I need to find motivated sellers in real estate. People who don't have the money to fix their house to sell it with an agent, people who need to sell quick whatever. I got my start in mobile homes, which is not so competitive, but houses are. I am sending mailers to various categories of buyers (ex bought '06-'08, 2/3rds avg market value, absentee, etc), but basically it costs at least 50 cents a touch, so 1,000 houses costs 500 bucks to mail.....and for all I know all 1,000 have no desire to even sell their house. I have no web presence. I set up a crappy capture page but it really sucks. Every few months I say I am going to figure it out and get confused. I have never gotten a lead online

What is the best way to market for local stuff like this? I hired some guy when I first started but he basically stole from me. I just need people who type things like "sell my house fast" from around me (central NC) to go to my website and put their info in my form so I can call them. Where do I start?

By the way, very interesting information from the OP. I think I remember reading your old thread once, or someone like you. This type of business sounds amazing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Do any of you marketing guys have any advice for me? I keep meaning to pursue this and stop. (I even PM'd Golden Bee once).

I need to find motivated sellers in real estate. People who don't have the money to fix their house to sell it with an agent, people who need to sell quick whatever. I got my start in mobile homes, which is not so competitive, but houses are. I am sending mailers to various categories of buyers (ex bought '06-'08, 2/3rds avg market value, absentee, etc), but basically it costs at least 50 cents a touch, so 1,000 houses costs 500 bucks to mail.....and for all I know all 1,000 have no desire to even sell their house. I have no web presence. I set up a crappy capture page but it really sucks. Every few months I say I am going to figure it out and get confused. I have never gotten a lead online

What is the best way to market for local stuff like this? I hired some guy when I first started but he basically stole from me. I just need people who type things like "sell my house fast" from around me (central NC) to go to my website and put their info in my form so I can call them. Where do I start?

By the way, very interesting information from the OP. I think I remember reading your old thread once, or someone like you. This type of business sounds amazing.

Pair keywords for your city, your business address, and other geographical identifiers with your business keywords that you want people to look for. Google is smart enough to show people in your area your results when they type your field into google. After all, it's local.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ribsauce posted:

You can run ads on Google for really cheap. However, if you don't set up the campaigns correctly you can hurt yourself. First, you will need to set locations and exclude locations you don't want people clicking your ads from. For example, if you are willing to pay for people that live in another state, on the off chance they are actually interested in buying/selling homes in your area and are not just looking, then you should run nationally or at least regionally. (I don't recommend this) If not, then exclude bunch of states and cities you don't want this traffic coming from.

The next thing you will want to do is find the keywords that have enough search volume every month, with a cost per click you are willing to pay for, and that can get you placed in the top 3 positions. The reason the top 3 is important, especially for your industry, is the ad extensions. You will want to have the call extension along with site links. Call is straight forward, it puts your phone number in the ad. Site links will allow you place 4 links in your ad that goes to 4 other pages on your site, along with a short description. These links could be other category pages of houses for sale, about us, contact, etc. But the big thing is site links increase the size of your ad, giving you larger real estate on the page. Site Links extension gives 45% increase to click through rates, this is Google's global average.

You can easily run a hyper local campaign for less then $500 per month, and you will be getting people that actually interested in what you have to offer and filling out your form. Hopefully your site/listing is designed for capturing leads.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is Google Call Metrics available to everyone now? It uses JavaScript to replace the phone numbers on your site with ones specific to every paid search visitor, so you can see exactly which keywords drove a phone conversion. It's extremely valuable if you rely on phone leads.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Is Google Call Metrics available to everyone now? It uses JavaScript to replace the phone numbers on your site with ones specific to every paid search visitor, so you can see exactly which keywords drove a phone conversion. It's extremely valuable if you rely on phone leads.

Yea, its free now I believe. I am not certain if you need to be a Google Partner.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Snatch Duster posted:

Yea, its free now I believe. I am not certain if you need to be a Google Partner.

Just got my GP badge. Feelin' pretty bling.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Just got my GP badge. Feelin' pretty bling.

You should do it for Bing too. The cert test takes like 15 minutes, it stupid easy and funny.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe you guys can offer some marketing advice for someone not selling a product per se.

2 months ago I built a daily fantasy sports site called Daily Draft Star: https://dailydraftstar.com - It started with an ugly beta but the traction picked up quickly because of our unique lineup concept. Right off the bat an investor contacted me, a front end developer came on board for straight sweat equity because he loves the concept so much, and we had 150 users sign on for beta to test it, everyone giving it positive feedback.

I kind of picked a horrible time to do the launch, NBA season is half over and most players are shying away until baseball season starts (Monday), but we needed to hit the ground running and we still had a laundry list of features to implement. In the first week we jumped to 350 users, and have since tapered off to just shy of 500 - with about 20 cash deposits. Our revenue is dollars at this point, but our retention is good as people come back and a few new players crop up and I have an e-mail list of our players, of which receive automated e-mails when they win, including their referral code to refer friends for 3% lifetime of their winnings, and our twitter/fb page

I have a copywriter making a press release for us right now for our MLB announcement, which includes a major change to our lineup format to increase lineup variance, finally configured deposit bonuses, and a lot of features players wanted that are creature comforts. I plan to submit the press release PRlog, and my twitter campaign is basically me tweeting a free $10 game we host each day and hope that people retweet it (Only 24 followers right now, I try to post random funny quips about DFS and it results in a follower or two).

With all that said, basically, I suck at marketing. I have so much to do as the sole owner of the company that I don't even have time to get good at it. We had a marketing agency reach out to us after stumbling upon our site but they are waiting until we have an investment before we do any deals (I am bootstrapping this company, we don't have the money to bring them on otherwise). Our road to investment is a long process, we have the investors interested in the product, but they are currently vetting the market and are building a list of followup questions after our pitch, at least 5 weeks out while the paperwork for C Corp finalizes at the minimum, and I'd like to increase our traction quicker than that. We aren't big enough or legal enough (currently operating through my LLC I had prior to this while the C Corp forms) to obtain any kind of loan to fund marketing, so I need to do all the foot work.

I have tried google adwords, it's $5 per click which is crazy expensive for me. I did FB, which actually was cheap and awesome, and reddit also has a cheap advertising platform (unfortunately a bug in my code wasn't showing me if they signed up to the site when being referred by the ads, which I've fixed), so we will hit them again once we release the MLB games tonight.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also as a side note, if anyone has the free time and also is as excited about this DFS concept as I am, I would entertain the idea of bringing a marketing expert on board for a small equity stake.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sepist posted:

Maybe you guys can offer some marketing advice for someone not selling a product per se.

2 months ago I built a daily fantasy sports site called Daily Draft Star: https://dailydraftstar.com - It started with an ugly beta but the traction picked up quickly because of our unique lineup concept. Right off the bat an investor contacted me, a front end developer came on board for straight sweat equity because he loves the concept so much, and we had 150 users sign on for beta to test it, everyone giving it positive feedback.

I kind of picked a horrible time to do the launch, NBA season is half over and most players are shying away until baseball season starts (Monday), but we needed to hit the ground running and we still had a laundry list of features to implement. In the first week we jumped to 350 users, and have since tapered off to just shy of 500 - with about 20 cash deposits. Our revenue is dollars at this point, but our retention is good as people come back and a few new players crop up and I have an e-mail list of our players, of which receive automated e-mails when they win, including their referral code to refer friends for 3% lifetime of their winnings, and our twitter/fb page

I have a copywriter making a press release for us right now for our MLB announcement, which includes a major change to our lineup format to increase lineup variance, finally configured deposit bonuses, and a lot of features players wanted that are creature comforts. I plan to submit the press release PRlog, and my twitter campaign is basically me tweeting a free $10 game we host each day and hope that people retweet it (Only 24 followers right now, I try to post random funny quips about DFS and it results in a follower or two).

With all that said, basically, I suck at marketing. I have so much to do as the sole owner of the company that I don't even have time to get good at it. We had a marketing agency reach out to us after stumbling upon our site but they are waiting until we have an investment before we do any deals (I am bootstrapping this company, we don't have the money to bring them on otherwise). Our road to investment is a long process, we have the investors interested in the product, but they are currently vetting the market and are building a list of followup questions after our pitch, at least 5 weeks out while the paperwork for C Corp finalizes at the minimum, and I'd like to increase our traction quicker than that. We aren't big enough or legal enough (currently operating through my LLC I had prior to this while the C Corp forms) to obtain any kind of loan to fund marketing, so I need to do all the foot work.

I have tried google adwords, it's $5 per click which is crazy expensive for me. I did FB, which actually was cheap and awesome, and reddit also has a cheap advertising platform (unfortunately a bug in my code wasn't showing me if they signed up to the site when being referred by the ads, which I've fixed), so we will hit them again once we release the MLB games tonight.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also as a side note, if anyone has the free time and also is as excited about this DFS concept as I am, I would entertain the idea of bringing a marketing expert on board for a small equity stake.

I am assuming you were doing Adwords search network. Did you try their display network? Its often cheaper and helps build awareness and branding.

Since you have a copy writer, do you think he/she has the capability of producing long form pieces of content that you can use to promote your website on other sites that your target market reads regularly? If so, then get them creating this stuff and placing it. Hubspot is the leader in inbound marketing, and here is a pretty good blog about it.
http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-content

I sent you a pm as well.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I feel pretty confident in my abilities to create a good website SEO wise, but I'm terrible at design. I just have no aesthetic eye at all. I also don't like the idea of spending money for a website designer. What's the best option?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Snatch Duster posted:

I am assuming you were doing Adwords search network. Did you try their display network? Its often cheaper and helps build awareness and branding.

Since you have a copy writer, do you think he/she has the capability of producing long form pieces of content that you can use to promote your website on other sites that your target market reads regularly? If so, then get them creating this stuff and placing it. Hubspot is the leader in inbound marketing, and here is a pretty good blog about it.
http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-content

I sent you a pm as well.

I'll take a look at their display network in the morning, I was trying to find how to do impressions only on adwords but couldn't find it, I guess I was missing the idea of "display network" as that shows me a whole different platform.

"our" copywriter is a woman on fiverr who does a 500 word press release, nothing crazy.

Answered your PM!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

jon joe posted:

I feel pretty confident in my abilities to create a good website SEO wise, but I'm terrible at design. I just have no aesthetic eye at all. I also don't like the idea of spending money for a website designer. What's the best option?

Welcome to WordPress.
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

There are ton of really good themes <$100, many in the$30-$50 range. Most $10/m hosting plans have options to auto-configure WordPress, and from there theme installation takes only a few minutes. The higher end themes have more options and take longer to tweak but this is your best bet. If you go this route feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need help.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

BossRighteous posted:

Welcome to WordPress.
http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

There are ton of really good themes <$100, many in the$30-$50 range. Most $10/m hosting plans have options to auto-configure WordPress, and from there theme installation takes only a few minutes. The higher end themes have more options and take longer to tweak but this is your best bet. If you go this route feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need help.

I already use wordpress and own a premium theme. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look good. I have no sense of style. That make sense?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

jon joe posted:

I haven't done it in a while but in the past I've used https://www.99designs.com to crowdsource a layout, and then I sent it off to a company like Psd2Html. Then its a just matter of integrating it to your backend.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jon joe posted:

If you are looking for a site that looks decent and has an integrated shopping cart then I would suggest shopify.com. They also give you $100 in Google AdWord.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Snatch Duster posted:

[info]
You can easily run a hyper local campaign for less then $500 per month, and you will be getting people that actually interested in what you have to offer and filling out your form. Hopefully your site/listing is designed for capturing leads.
I might give it a 3 month run. That isn't much money if it does not work out. I do have a lead capture site set up.

This will probably be my next project

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Doesn't Market Samurai use data from Bing now? Won't this affect SEOT quite a bit?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

duckmaster posted:

Doesn't Market Samurai use data from Bing now? Won't this affect SEOT quite a bit?

The SEOT data is still Google, I believe. It's all the other stuff that's Bing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it does, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Bing in many ways is better than Google. The biggest two are cheaper cost per clicks and less competition. The best ROAS I've seen for an ecommerce company was on Bing since their CPA were ~70% lower than Adwords. If your product has decent volume Google, Bing will do really well for returns. Probably not when it comes to volume of conversions.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Ok cool. Forgive me if this is a really stupid question but where do I find PBR in market samurai? Do I need the paid version?

I messed around with this a bit during the last thread but got nowhere. I think I'm one of the morons who can't do this :( anyone want to sell me a very specific model of a Honda yacht motor?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cumberlandwatersports.com
wisesales.com

Those two are the largest seller of honda boat stuff. They might have your model.

On topic, many of you are probably aware that Google is about to update their search algorithm again. For those of you that aren't here is a short article explaining it.
http://searchengineland.com/how-large-is-googles-mobile-friendly-algorithm-larger-than-panda-or-penguin-217026

Basically, if you have a lovely site that isn't mobile friendly, you will lose your mobile ranking on Google and bunch of organic traffic. If you don't have any mobile traffic, then you shouldn't care.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
An update to an earlier post about what to do next about our marketing efforts. I spoke with the OP through a phone call the next day and he was incredibly helpful, and we ended up signing a deal with his company to handle our adwords campaigns and more marketing services in the future once our revenue ramps up! Thanks!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sepist posted:

An update to an earlier post about what to do next about our marketing efforts. I spoke with the OP through a phone call the next day and he was incredibly helpful, and we ended up signing a deal with his company to handle our adwords campaigns and more marketing services in the future once our revenue ramps up! Thanks!

Absolutely, it was great chatting with you and I am looking forward to working together in the coming months.

Also, for everyone thinking about how to do SEO on your own here is a great guide.
http://webris.org/complete-guide-to-seo-for-lawyers-attorneys/

Sure it is about lawyers, but you can apply the same strategy to your site/niche.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Snatch Duster posted:

Absolutely, it was great chatting with you and I am looking forward to working together in the coming months.

Also, for everyone thinking about how to do SEO on your own here is a great guide.
http://webris.org/complete-guide-to-seo-for-lawyers-attorneys/

Sure it is about lawyers, but you can apply the same strategy to your site/niche.

Woah, that's a high quality link with great advice. Will definitely be using some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm taking over the role of adwords account analyst at my current job and am in the process of completing the adwords certification program. Does anybody have any other good material I should be reading for such a role? What are some routes I can branch out from with this sort of knowledge?

• Locked thread