Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm taking over the role of adwords account analyst at my current job and am in the process of completing the adwords certification program. Does anybody have any other good material I should be reading for such a role? What are some routes I can branch out from with this sort of knowledge?

What are your duties? Do you manage accounts or are you more of a sales rep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I'm taking over the role of adwords account analyst at my current job and am in the process of completing the adwords certification program. Does anybody have any other good material I should be reading for such a role? What are some routes I can branch out from with this sort of knowledge?

To build on Snatch Duster's post, are you managing accounts directly, or are you going to be managing an agency/client? Is your current job client side, or agency side? The skillsets are similar but significantly different, IME.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm a marketing analyst at a vertical marketing firm handling the management of the accounts. I'm in charge of building out the adwords campaigns for our clients and optimizing them to be as efficient and on point as possible. They range from single adgroups to accounts with 100 or so campaigns with SKAGs and MKAGs.

trescoole
Sep 24, 2012
I've been thinking about setting something like this up for a while, and at the moment have a fun little niche t-shirt biz but seeing about 2k hits to something very niche and making between 60-120 bucks / month from it. Not great, but enough to cover my monthly Steam addiction.

In any case I I'm pretty good at SEO, my normal day to day biz is ranked page 1, within about 6 months from starting out with little fiddling but it's a services company and I started looking into dropshipping. The only thing I've managed to find are directories upon directories that require you to sub for months and they don't expose any info on who their wholesalers are, what types of goods they offer and more importantly if there are any APIs that I could plug into as doing the whole manual by hand thing seems very 1990's. Jokes aside, I did find two dropship APIs, one for a chinese electronics wholesaler and the other for a print shop but that's about it.

Would OP or anyone else for that matter know where to look for these APIs?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

trescoole posted:

I've been thinking about setting something like this up for a while, and at the moment have a fun little niche t-shirt biz but seeing about 2k hits to something very niche and making between 60-120 bucks / month from it. Not great, but enough to cover my monthly Steam addiction.

In any case I I'm pretty good at SEO, my normal day to day biz is ranked page 1, within about 6 months from starting out with little fiddling but it's a services company and I started looking into dropshipping. The only thing I've managed to find are directories upon directories that require you to sub for months and they don't expose any info on who their wholesalers are, what types of goods they offer and more importantly if there are any APIs that I could plug into as doing the whole manual by hand thing seems very 1990's. Jokes aside, I did find two dropship APIs, one for a chinese electronics wholesaler and the other for a print shop but that's about it.

I'm not too familiar with APIs and most manufacturers don't have one or use them. For example, Honda and its competitors prefer to use sales folks because they can get the resellers to buy more stock or get them to carry different products. With that said, there are API's out there that do have thousand of products but they don't advertise what they are. Your best solution is figuring out what you want to sell, then contact these API drop shipping companies to see if they carry your item. The other option is to contact the manufacturer directly to see if they drop ship.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

trescoole posted:

You can start with a quick Google search for manufacturers of whatever keyword you're trying to sell then add either dropship or wholesale after the search term. If they have a half decent site it will say if they have dropshipping, either because they do or they don't but are tired of getting constantly contacting about dropshipping. Some places have APIs and it will be listed as a selling point of their dropshipping service. The places that do have APIs are usually middlemen and you can get a better price point if you bypass them to just go through the manufacturer directly. Some manufacturers do offer dropshipping. Cherish them.

Edit: Forgot to add something. If you are selling something pretty generic but can't find the actual manufacturer and only middlemen, ask for pics of the items if they aren't on their site. Middlemen are generally lazy and will use the manufacturer's pics. Reverse image search them and you can usually find the manufacturer.

jabro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2015

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Sepist posted:

I'll take a look at their display network in the morning, I was trying to find how to do impressions only on adwords but couldn't find it, I guess I was missing the idea of "display network" as that shows me a whole different platform.

"our" copywriter is a woman on fiverr who does a 500 word press release, nothing crazy.

Answered your PM!

You can blow through a huge amount of money very quickly on the display network (as a warning). If you have Adwords conversion tracking set up, that's a huge benefit. Adwords' conversion optimizer bid setting also can do really well with display network (there are far more variables in display than a human can account for or optimize to), but it can take a while to ramp up to the necessary volume. Display also isn't as intent-driven so you may want to consider a revamped landing page for your users if you are putting some serious money into it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea. Right now I have 2 marketing companies onboard (Snatch Duster's and a company that specializes in the online gambling niche) to redo the landing pages, adwords, banners, and affiliating marketing. I'm in for about $6,500 a month right now on marketing efforts which is the cheapest I can go without bankrupting myself until we have a heavy investor or we start generating good revenue.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

robcat posted:

You can blow through a huge amount of money very quickly on the display network (as a warning). If you have Adwords conversion tracking set up, that's a huge benefit. Adwords' conversion optimizer bid setting also can do really well with display network (there are far more variables in display than a human can account for or optimize to), but it can take a while to ramp up to the necessary volume. Display also isn't as intent-driven so you may want to consider a revamped landing page for your users if you are putting some serious money into it.

This is the truth. GDN drives FUCKloads of insanely low quality traffic, be very careful with it.

I far prefer programmatic buys through AOL, etc.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I've recently noticed a niche for a thing here in the states - companies exist in Europe that cater to it, and some big-box stores carry some of the items related to it, but there is nothing specifically for the niche here in the states, except for one site and they don't offer very much. The angle is obviously "dont have to deal with customs/buying things from euroland/get it sooner/etc". The problem is that I have to actually get the items, which isn't an issue, except I'm not sure how to go about applying to be a wholesaler to some of these places. What should I have on my site? Should I offer the product as "coming soon" or something? Just pretend like I already have the wholesale contract? I'm not sure how to go about this, but I definitely don't want to gently caress it up because it's dealing with 2-3 suppliers that would be the lifeblood of the business.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

invision posted:

I've recently noticed a niche for a thing here in the states - companies exist in Europe that cater to it, and some big-box stores carry some of the items related to it, but there is nothing specifically for the niche here in the states, except for one site and they don't offer very much. The angle is obviously "dont have to deal with customs/buying things from euroland/get it sooner/etc". The problem is that I have to actually get the items, which isn't an issue, except I'm not sure how to go about applying to be a wholesaler to some of these places. What should I have on my site? Should I offer the product as "coming soon" or something? Just pretend like I already have the wholesale contract? I'm not sure how to go about this, but I definitely don't want to gently caress it up because it's dealing with 2-3 suppliers that would be the lifeblood of the business.

In the old thread, goons would setup a site and advertised the product when they didn't have it, just for testing if any of their users would actually buy. If people did buy, then the product and site was viable. My suggestion is test first, then worry about becoming a dealer/distributor.

GDN is great if you are doing remarketing, especially so with dynamic remarketing. That is really the only ROAS use of GDN, or any display network for the most part. The few times a display network would be of value, other than remarketing, is driving traffic for the sake of traffic or branding/awareness. Companies like Nike, Gatorade, Mercedes, etc use display networks to constantly hit people with ads to push them further into the buying funnel from the awareness stage and into the interest stage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently started working at a company that sells poo poo online - basically a drop shipper selling medical supplies and physical therapy equipment. The site used to do ~$3m+ a year in sales but after getting hit with Penguin and just generally not keeping up with the evolving Google poo poo sales have dropped off significantly. The way things are going this year we might not even hit $1m in sales.

I'm kind of in over my head a bit with the Adwords and marketing aspect of it, plus I'm trying to get a programmer to optimize poo poo and add proper markup. Right now there's no way to even track our conversions (ie out of 14k sessions Analytics says 0 added anything to the cart and 0 checked out) which obviously makes it difficult to see what is performing and what isn't.

I want to convince the boss to start a new website selling other poo poo since we've got the server space and manpower to do it but he is pretty set on just selling in this one product area since he's been doing it since 1990 (old school office with sales reps until 1998 when the website launched) and we've got relationships with our suppliers going back quite a ways. Although a lot of our suppliers seem to think it is still 1990 and operate accordingly (API what's that? send us an email and we'll get back to you in 3 days!) and it's driving me nuts. I honestly think the way to go is to use our existing resources to expand into other websites and product niches instead of trying to keep this one afloat by itself. It still makes decent money but expecting it to make money like it was 2008 seems impossible - since then our niche has been flooded with tons of competitors and our organic traffic is dwindling away. Maybe I just don't know poo poo though.

If anyone can offer some insight that'd be much appreciated. I know there's not really much specific to be said other than get the website set up with microdata yesterday but thought I'd post anyway and get people's thoughts.

What's up Sean if you're interested in making some extra money on the side or picking us up as a client for your company and think you can help me out I'd love to hear from you. Our AdWords campaigns are pretty amateurish right now. We've got ~40,000 products and it kind of makes me go :psyduck:

Also as an aside, MAP pricing is retarded.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e nevermind privacy concerns for my company

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 29, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I recently started working at a company that sells poo poo online - basically a drop shipper selling medical supplies and physical therapy equipment. The site used to do ~$3m+ a year in sales but after getting hit with Penguin and just generally not keeping up with the evolving Google poo poo sales have dropped off significantly. The way things are going this year we might not even hit $1m in sales.

I'm kind of in over my head a bit with the Adwords and marketing aspect of it, plus I'm trying to get a programmer to optimize poo poo and add proper markup. Right now there's no way to even track our conversions (ie out of 14k sessions Analytics says 0 added anything to the cart and 0 checked out) which obviously makes it difficult to see what is performing and what isn't.

I want to convince the boss to start a new website selling other poo poo since we've got the server space and manpower to do it but he is pretty set on just selling in this one product area since he's been doing it since 1990 (old school office with sales reps until 1998 when the website launched) and we've got relationships with our suppliers going back quite a ways. Although a lot of our suppliers seem to think it is still 1990 and operate accordingly (API what's that? send us an email and we'll get back to you in 3 days!) and it's driving me nuts. I honestly think the way to go is to use our existing resources to expand into other websites and product niches instead of trying to keep this one afloat by itself. It still makes decent money but expecting it to make money like it was 2008 seems impossible - since then our niche has been flooded with tons of competitors and our organic traffic is dwindling away. Maybe I just don't know poo poo though.

If anyone can offer some insight that'd be much appreciated. I know there's not really much specific to be said other than get the website set up with microdata yesterday but thought I'd post anyway and get people's thoughts.

What's up Sean if you're interested in making some extra money on the side or picking us up as a client for your company and think you can help me out I'd love to hear from you. Our AdWords campaigns are pretty amateurish right now. We've got ~40,000 products and it kind of makes me go :psyduck:

Also as an aside, MAP pricing is retarded.

I could take a look at your account for you if you want. I do analyses on exactly what is troubling your company and I am very familiar with MAP, especially Honda.

Shoot me an email at snatchduster@gmail.com, that forwards to my personal email which I don't want to post on the internet. Not that I don't trust you lovely goons. :)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sent you an email, thanks.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Replied!

If you have any questions or problems in the future, don't be shy asking.
VVV

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 2, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just talked to Snatch Duster on the phone about all my AdWords and Google stuff, it was super helpful and informative! Thanks again man.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Just sent you a Facebook message. Let's meet up in real life soon, too; it's been far too long, you hypernerd.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have input on lead generation / brokering? I'm about halfway finished with my entire project (the software side of it), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to distribute leads.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

Anyone have input on lead generation / brokering? I'm about halfway finished with my entire project (the software side of it), but I'm trying to figure out the best way to distribute leads.

I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you asking on how to generate leads or how to distribute leads that you get to companies/sales teams?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm not clear on what you are asking. Are you asking on how to generate leads or how to distribute leads that you get to companies/sales teams?

I'm curious if there's any input on how to distribute leads, or perhaps if there's an industry standard. As far as lead generation I think I'll be relying mostly on SEO since it's kind of niche, and no one has done it yet.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knyteguy posted:

I'm curious if there's any input on how to distribute leads, or perhaps if there's an industry standard. As far as lead generation I think I'll be relying mostly on SEO since it's kind of niche, and no one has done it yet.

If you are dealing with sales staff you can distribute the leads by region, industry specialty, round robin, or use it as a sales incentive (the best closer gets the best leads). Most CRMs have ways to do this, espcially Sales Force. Here are a few other lead distribution software companies I've looked into in the past.

http://www.getapp.com/pipelinedeals-application
http://www.b12leads.com/
http://getcake.com/

If you are creating a company like Reply! Inc where you sell off leads you get to companies that are interested in the lead vertical, you could simply distribute them by first come first serve or whoever pays you the most.

Since your software is a niche with little competition, I highly recommend creating engaging content (white papers, buying guide, ebook, etc) and promoting it. This should quickly establish your company as an authority with Google and it will have a greater impact in the long run than creating killer meta tags.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Snatch Duster posted:

If you are dealing with sales staff you can distribute the leads by region, industry specialty, round robin, or use it as a sales incentive (the best closer gets the best leads). Most CRMs have ways to do this, espcially Sales Force. Here are a few other lead distribution software companies I've looked into in the past.

http://www.getapp.com/pipelinedeals-application
http://www.b12leads.com/
http://getcake.com/

If you are creating a company like Reply! Inc where you sell off leads you get to companies that are interested in the lead vertical, you could simply distribute them by first come first serve or whoever pays you the most.

Since your software is a niche with little competition, I highly recommend creating engaging content (white papers, buying guide, ebook, etc) and promoting it. This should quickly establish your company as an authority with Google and it will have a greater impact in the long run than creating killer meta tags.

Very cool thanks for the insight. I'm working on more of a Reply! Inc for a specific industry. I'm trying to make it 100% web based and require as little personal attention as possible.

I like your ideas of engaging content. I worked in the industry, and my family from a couple generations works/worked in the industry so I could probably provide some decent content from personal experience.

Interesting software too. Thanks again.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So for anyone who is in the process of doing this, do you have any recommendations on how to or if you even should consult a lawyer for your business? Are there lawyers that specialize in web-commerce or startups and what should you expect to pay in legal costs for starting your business?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So for anyone who is in the process of doing this, do you have any recommendations on how to or if you even should consult a lawyer for your business? Are there lawyers that specialize in web-commerce or startups and what should you expect to pay in legal costs for starting your business?

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

In my opinion it depends. Will you be the sole importer of a product from overseas? If so I'm pretty sure you're responsible for potential dangers or hazards in the product. If you're dropshipping from a company in the states, then they would carry that liability (about 99% sure here). If you're selling something gray-area illegal (like whiskey stills for example) then it could be a wise choice to consult a lawyer.

Personally I'd get an LLC business license just to be safe, but you can do that yourself with a few hundred dollars depending on where you live. I don't really see why you'd need a lawyer otherwise, unless you plan on getting more complicated with your business license like starting an S or C corp.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a feeling that I'm about to make this thread way more active than it has been. Another question, using the first post as a guide I've been searching for niches and good keywords. I think I've found a niche, there aren't any commercial sites for it yet, which I take as a bad sign. There don't seem to be a lot of searches for it. So while hypothetically I could rank near the top would it even be worth it for me?

Also does anyone have experience with any other tools besides Market Samurai? Seems a bit clunky, was looking at Long Tail Pro as an alternative but then some of the metrics are a bit different, not sure if thats better or worse. Market Samurai seems to have mixed reviews online. It's hard to tell with all of this SEO stuff online though. Online marketing and SEO is like the new version of the guy selling I will teach you to be a millionaire courses out of the newspaper classifieds.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have a feeling that I'm about to make this thread way more active than it has been. Another question, using the first post as a guide I've been searching for niches and good keywords. I think I've found a niche, there aren't any commercial sites for it yet, which I take as a bad sign. There don't seem to be a lot of searches for it. So while hypothetically I could rank near the top would it even be worth it for me?

Also does anyone have experience with any other tools besides Market Samurai? Seems a bit clunky, was looking at Long Tail Pro as an alternative but then some of the metrics are a bit different, not sure if thats better or worse. Market Samurai seems to have mixed reviews online. It's hard to tell with all of this SEO stuff online though. Online marketing and SEO is like the new version of the guy selling I will teach you to be a millionaire courses out of the newspaper classifieds.

Ranking #1, or even on the first page, for keywords with little volume is pointless. However, if you can cobble together a 100s of keywords that individually have little search volume, but combined they have thousands of searches then I would say its worth it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So if I'm doing all of this right I think I may have found a niche that I could do well with blog posts, ebooks, etc to drum up more content to get eyeballs to the site. In fact I've started to write articles already and have 5 in the can for a potential launch. I still don't know if I'm reading Market Samurai correctly though. For my potential site I've got a monthly SEOT of 3402, 8100 searches a month, an average ad-word of $,71 and a monthly SEOV total of $2415. Is that too small of potential money to pursue?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So if I'm doing all of this right I think I may have found a niche that I could do well with blog posts, ebooks, etc to drum up more content to get eyeballs to the site. In fact I've started to write articles already and have 5 in the can for a potential launch. I still don't know if I'm reading Market Samurai correctly though. For my potential site I've got a monthly SEOT of 3402, 8100 searches a month, an average ad-word of $,71 and a monthly SEOV total of $2415. Is that too small of potential money to pursue?

If the 8k searches are across bunch of keywords, then yes. If that is the search volume for just one then maybe. You should bank 1% of the searches will click your ad and 3% will click your organic result, that is if you are one of the top three on page one. Then assume your site will converts 1% of your visitors. The real unknown is what your average conv dollar value will be.

Honestly, if you can make decent margins on your product, you can make money selling it online. it is just easier if you have a high volume, expensive product but those are pretty competitive and will take time/money to carve out a share of the pie.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Snatch Duster posted:

If it does, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Bing in many ways is better than Google. The biggest two are cheaper cost per clicks and less competition. The best ROAS I've seen for an ecommerce company was on Bing since their CPA were ~70% lower than Adwords. If your product has decent volume Google, Bing will do really well for returns. Probably not when it comes to volume of conversions.
I found Bing was 70%-80% cheaper at the cost of customer support being 300% worse. And my keywords fill INSTANTLY in google...in Bing it might take a week to build equal volume.

America isn't using Bing very much.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

I found Bing was 70%-80% cheaper at the cost of customer support being 300% worse. And my keywords fill INSTANTLY in google...in Bing it might take a week to build equal volume.

America isn't using Bing very much.

Yea, Bing is bad when it comes to B2C, the search market break down is 80:20 roughly. But it gets a little better when its B2B searchers, 70:30 is what I am finding.

However, Bing has introduced their version shopping. In a lot of niches there aren't any companies running these kinds of ads since this network is relatively new and Bing doesn't give a poo poo about support.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm trying to do some A/B testing - I have a landing page I use to bring in customers who already know what daily fantasy sports are, but what I'm realizing is it's not a good landing page for some of our adwords campaigns, which are probably being clicked on by people who have never heard of daily fantasy sports. I created this landing page in an attempt to explain daily fantasy sports and see if it draws in more conversion than our existing landing page: https://dailydraftstar.com/site/index3

So from someone who probably hasn't heard of it, do you get a general understanding of it just from that page? Is it too wordy?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sepist posted:

So I'm trying to do some A/B testing - I have a landing page I use to bring in customers who already know what daily fantasy sports are, but what I'm realizing is it's not a good landing page for some of our adwords campaigns, which are probably being clicked on by people who have never heard of daily fantasy sports. I created this landing page in an attempt to explain daily fantasy sports and see if it draws in more conversion than our existing landing page: https://dailydraftstar.com/site/index3

So from someone who probably hasn't heard of it, do you get a general understanding of it just from that page? Is it too wordy?

You love saying "perfect team". Does your site use a salary cap like the other daily sites or can I can really draft the best players onto one team? If there is a salary cap lose the perfects and say that there is a salary cap. If there is no salary cap then make that known. That is your niche against the other sites.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I was just trying to abuse positive words :) It has a salary cap, so I'll add that in

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Woo hoo! First payout:

I'm using affiliate advertising along with blog content (more of a hybrid guide site and blog content mix).

A whopping... $0.51. :) But I just started the site last weekend.

The conversion rate for my first conversion is deceptively low; I was clicking my own links to see if they were linking to the correct product. If I can generate some more traffic I'll see what the user:link:purchase ratio is.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Knyteguy posted:

Woo hoo! First payout:

I'm using affiliate advertising along with blog content (more of a hybrid guide site and blog content mix).

A whopping... $0.51. :) But I just started the site last weekend.

The conversion rate for my first conversion is deceptively low; I was clicking my own links to see if they were linking to the correct product. If I can generate some more traffic I'll see what the user:link:purchase ratio is.

Don't click your own links, dummy!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

invision posted:

Don't click your own links, dummy!

Affiliate as well? It only pays if someone buys something with your cookie. I read the Amazon ToS pretty thoroughly, and I don't remember seeing that in there. I may have missed it though.

Adsense/PPC yes I realize that.

On top of that I just received this:

quote:

Hi Knyteguy,

We have paid out your $12.00 reward to PayPal account.

(If you believe this is an error, please contact support+user@referralcandy.com)

ReferralCandy Team
on behalf of Company

About... $50 in passive income this month. Not bad I guess.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 19, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sepist posted:

I like it. The text might be a bit small though for some. I could see some people thinking it's to wordy and not reading the whole thing and what sets your site apart from others.

So I've been researching niches. Think I may have found a potential one. Here are my Market Samurai results:

I've been writing blog posts for the site as well. My main concern is that product is one of convenience mainly. Anyone could go out and buy the items I'm selling individually. My product just combines a lot of them into a kit. The customer does get savings by being able to get a variety without the bulk. Just concerned that the convenience wont be enough to justify the price and therefore not enough profit for me to spend time on. I also thought that I could write and sell an e-book on the site as well. That may ultimately be the direction I go, an e-book and amazon affiliate links to related products. That way I could at least learn the ropes of shopify, seo, and everything else on this site so that when I do find a good niche I have a better idea of what I am doing. To that end I did go out and pay for a business license for $160, three years of hosting for $150, and a paid copy of Market Samurai for $100. So now I've got skin in the game, I'm an official LLC have a tax-ID the works. Hopefully I didn't just throw away $410...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it doesn't work out you've still got the ability to try other things, what with the LLC and the hosting and the SEO tools.

I wouldn't expect to hit the lottery your first time, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

If it doesn't work out you've still got the ability to try other things, what with the LLC and the hosting and the SEO tools.

I wouldn't expect to hit the lottery your first time, you know?

More than anything I'm looking at this as the price of an education. I work in IT and I get a ton of questions from people about online marketing, SEO, and starting a site. This way I at least know enough to point people in the right direction or refer them to some bigger companies. I think getting an LLC and the groundwork done first will help in the long run. I'm more nervous about loving up my taxes or something with the LLC even if I don't make any income. I'm going to be talking to a friend who is a CPA later this week who can hopefully get me enough info so that I dont shoot myself in the foot at least.

From everything I've read in the old thread as it progressed and have seen elsewhere online, the secret is to work hard! There's no gimmicky seo trick you can do anymore to pump your site up long term and get it to stay ranked highly. That's why I'm focusing on quality content first. I want to try and get at least 30 articles written to launch my site with. That way I can at least have amazon links in to hopefully bring in a few pennies. Gives me an opportunity to reach out to other wholesalers and point to a quality site to try and get a good discount.

• Locked thread