Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

thegasman2000 posted:

Do spoiler tags work against non-goon infiltration?

No. From time to time you can view threads even when not logged in and can just click the spoilers. If you really want help or a second opinion then ask for a PM. Then sanitize conversations if you want to report back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I wouldn't suggest posting keywords. Someone basically took the previous OP's website and copied it word for word.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Ok I've reposted my new potential search keyword data from Market Samurai, removing my search term. There is one direct competitor with a .com domain matching the keyword but I'm wondering if there is room for two entrants in the market given the search volume? Would anyone willing to have a chat in private?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth I saw your keyword and there are more than 2 competitors in that market even if they don't all have a domain name that is exactly that. Just sayin' because I know websites selling those things already although you might end up ranking better on SERPs if you are exclusively centered around that product and have the keywords in the URL.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

For what it's worth I saw your keyword and there are more than 2 competitors in that market even if they don't all have a domain name that is exactly that. Just sayin' because I know websites selling those things already although you might end up ranking better on SERPs if you are exclusively centered around that product and have the keywords in the URL.

I guess my question really is is it still worth it to enter the market even with existing competitors?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Mantle posted:

I guess my question really is is it still worth it to enter the market even with existing competitors?

I would say yes if you have some spare time. You will have to dedicate a few weeks to a few months tweaking around with the SEO keywords and ads. If you can run a decent basic site for your product do it. See if you can find something with less competition in the market and if nothing comes up I would say take the plunge if you are free. Once you start, set aside some time to constantly improve your business until you are pulling in a few thousand per month/week.

I LOVE FRONT BUTT
Jan 15, 2005

They can never see us :allears:
Has anyone come into contact with Job Killing or 7 Figure Agency? Obviously I'm steering clear of them as they are both asking for $1000's for "coaching", but their idea has merit:

Find small, local, service-based businesses that don't have a web presence and not much SEO competition, break into the market and create an optimized webpage that will generate leads for them, then sell them on your SEO services and sign up a deal with them. You only have the initial investment of building their webpage, almost no overheads apart from the hosting and adwords and steer well clear of the actual service/distribution/customers itself.

The only hard part I envisage is finding good markets to break into, with not much local competition, but also enough searches to make it worthwhile. Am I missing anything major here, and how would I go about finding good markets?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Human Leaf Blower posted:

Has anyone come into contact with Job Killing or 7 Figure Agency? Obviously I'm steering clear of them as they are both asking for $1000's for "coaching", but their idea has merit:

Find small, local, service-based businesses that don't have a web presence and not much SEO competition, break into the market and create an optimized webpage that will generate leads for them, then sell them on your SEO services and sign up a deal with them. You only have the initial investment of building their webpage, almost no overheads apart from the hosting and adwords and steer well clear of the actual service/distribution/customers itself.

The only hard part I envisage is finding good markets to break into, with not much local competition, but also enough searches to make it worthwhile. Am I missing anything major here, and how would I go about finding good markets?

Every single business gets multiple calls for the same thing every week.

I LOVE FRONT BUTT
Jan 15, 2005

They can never see us :allears:

jabro posted:

Every single business gets multiple calls for the same thing every week.

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Their mean "sell" is to start generating leads for companies before even contacting them, to prove that you can deliver results, but it would make sense that most other internet marketing companies would do this too.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Is it really still possible to make real money with this? I found a couple dozen keywords that seemed good a while back, but stopped short of checking whether I could rank for them because it seems like even a 1-in-100 chance of finding a keyword that has real potential is too good to be true.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm wondering if the best opportunities now are for identifying markets created by new products. Looking back I see I had advance notification of sous vide and e cigarettes before they arrived in north america and those would have been great to get in early on.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah new products have always been where it's at. Well there and creating your own new product! I found a great keyword with a decent amount of bing ads traffic and no sales so either my products are not good enough, or the keyword is more informational even though my ad did say for sale in it, or my site just wasn't good enough.

They exist but I don't think people really think niche enough. Like don't target people with dogs target people who walk dogs for a living. Or people with Labrador's.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of my coworkers, before working at our agency, worked for a online retailer. One of the ways they made money was selling products they saw on shark tank. Some how the owner was able to watch each episode early, and then called up the companies to sell their products if they weren't on Amazon.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 30, 2015

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
From the tools section of the OP:

quote:

Ghostery - Tag analysis tool that lets you see what competitor is doing on their site. Are they running G Analytics? Are they using Optimizely (if so drop this niche)?

What's so bad (good?) about Optimizely that means you should not go into a niche where a company uses it?

E: Oh. I thought I found something that could be sold for a few hundred dollars for a keyword where no sites have done any SEO and half the top ten are unrelated to the keyword, but it turns out that a typical item is the size of two tall people standing side-by-side and weighs 150lbs. I'm guessing this is something that I'm not going to find a fulfillment center to sell? On the other hand, seems like it can't hurt to create a testing website, no? But the SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 formula ends up being 1000 * 0.003 * 300 * .3 * 365 = $98,550. If it's only 10% as successful as these numbers suggest, then I'll be at about $10k per year in profit, and I would have to sell about 111 of these huge, awkward objects somehow to even get to that point.

Sounds like a no. But I noticed that the moonshine still guy has several different stills for sale, at prices from around $300 up to around $2000. This object I'm thinking of also seems to have a few variations in quality, so maybe if I got a marginally-successful site selling the cheaper items, I could expand upward from there? And I just picked $300, but you can also find these on Amazon for like $100-300.

Edit 2: I noticed that "moonshine still" has a really low SEOT of 204 despite having led to lots of money for OP of original thread. Seems like, if your price, margin, and conversion rate are high enough then a relatively low SEOT may be tolerable.

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 2, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruit loop posted:

From the tools section of the OP:

What's so bad (good?) about Optimizely that means you should not go into a niche where a company uses it?

E: Oh. I thought I found something that could be sold for a few hundred dollars for a keyword where no sites have done any SEO and half the top ten are unrelated to the keyword, but it turns out that a typical item is the size of two tall people standing side-by-side and weighs 150lbs. I'm guessing this is something that I'm not going to find a fulfillment center to sell? On the other hand, seems like it can't hurt to create a testing website, no? But the SEOT * Conversion * Retail Price * Profit Margin * 365 formula ends up being 1000 * 0.003 * 300 * .3 * 365 = $98,550. If it's only 10% as successful as these numbers suggest, then I'll be at about $10k per year in profit, and I would have to sell about 111 of these huge, awkward objects somehow to even get to that point.

Sounds like a no. But I noticed that the moonshine still guy has several different stills for sale, at prices from around $300 up to around $2000. This object I'm thinking of also seems to have a few variations in quality, so maybe if I got a marginally-successful site selling the cheaper items, I could expand upward from there? And I just picked $300, but you can also find these on Amazon for like $100-300.

Edit 2: I noticed that "moonshine still" has a really low SEOT of 204 despite having led to lots of money for OP of original thread. Seems like, if your price, margin, and conversion rate are high enough then a relatively low SEOT may be tolerable.

Optimizely just means that company is paying a crap load of money every month for professional marketers.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I have a dumb newbie question about affiliate marketing. I've been looking through various products through various affiliate programs and a lot of the affiliate links take you to a separate (and often times badly designed) landing page. So if my landing page funnels people to another landing page how am I supposed to control for conversions at all? Should I just stick to Amazon, or are there affiliates who let me take orders directly from my own site? Not really interested in drop shipping, looking for a hands off approach for a small eventual passive income.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarthJeebus posted:

I have a dumb newbie question about affiliate marketing. I've been looking through various products through various affiliate programs and a lot of the affiliate links take you to a separate (and often times badly designed) landing page. So if my landing page funnels people to another landing page how am I supposed to control for conversions at all? Should I just stick to Amazon, or are there affiliates who let me take orders directly from my own site? Not really interested in drop shipping, looking for a hands off approach for a small eventual passive income.

You don't really, which is one the hosed up things about affiliate marketing, if I am understanding your question. What basically is the goal of affiliate is getting a lot of people clicking your cookied link and hoping they buy something before clicking some else's cookied link which then overwrites your cookie, giving that rear end in a top hat the commission on your suggested purchase. If that makes sense.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Having found a good niche, I set up a FB and Twitter page, as well as the website for my niche. I haven't started advertising yet, because I want to get the site fully vetted, but have already started posting/blogging. Obviously not a ton of followers(outside of some friends who have liked/followed). The question is: If I take content from some of my suppliers, that they already have on their page, and reblog it, will that help to increase my page rank?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

Having found a good niche, I set up a FB and Twitter page, as well as the website for my niche. I haven't started advertising yet, because I want to get the site fully vetted, but have already started posting/blogging. Obviously not a ton of followers(outside of some friends who have liked/followed). The question is: If I take content from some of my suppliers, that they already have on their page, and reblog it, will that help to increase my page rank?

Great question. Duplicated content isn't necassary bad and Google won't penalize you for it. However, your site will most likely never rank very high because of it organically. Think of it like this, there 10 sites out there with the same content as yours which also have all been indexed before yours. These site also probably have higher domain authority than your site since they been around longer. Google will show theirs, and sites with unique content, before yours since they had it first.

So having stolen content isn't bad if you are hoping to convert your traffic into sales, since the content probably has had a lot of thought put into to increase sales. But the content most likely won't bring in new traffic from Google search.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Great question. Duplicated content isn't necassary bad and Google won't penalize you for it. However, your site will most likely never rank very high because of it organically. Think of it like this, there 10 sites out there with the same content as yours which also have all been indexed before yours. These site also probably have higher domain authority than your site since they been around longer. Google will show theirs, and sites with unique content, before yours since they had it first.

So having stolen content isn't bad if you are hoping to convert your traffic into sales, since the content probably has had a lot of thought put into to increase sales. But the content most likely won't bring in new traffic from Google search.

This makes sense. How risky is this from a DMCA/takedown notice if I start reposting videos/rehosting them?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

This makes sense. How risky is this from a DMCA/takedown notice if I start reposting videos/rehosting them?

Probably none if the videos are provided/created by the manufacturer, it would also help if you also give them credit or a backlink.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

so I ran my 100$ through AdWords. These are lower search terms, but I appeared as basically the only advertiser for the entire day yesterday. I'm confused as to why it was as expensive to bid as it was. 22 clicks cost me an average of $4.54 per click. No conversions sadly and 1 abandoned cart, per google analytics. Is this something worth pursuing? Or should I just let SEO build it up in search listings? I've been actively blogging/social media posting about it, and am starting to get likes. Also have a cheap marketing strategy that I figure I can implement over the next few months.

Should I follow this?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

so I ran my 100$ through AdWords. These are lower search terms, but I appeared as basically the only advertiser for the entire day yesterday. I'm confused as to why it was as expensive to bid as it was. 22 clicks cost me an average of $4.54 per click. No conversions sadly and 1 abandoned cart, per google analytics. Is this something worth pursuing? Or should I just let SEO build it up in search listings? I've been actively blogging/social media posting about it, and am starting to get likes. Also have a cheap marketing strategy that I figure I can implement over the next few months.

Should I follow this?

First thing I would suggest is turning of Display Select. Also, I bet there is a way to drastically lower those CPC. What is the break down of your Quality Scores on your keywords?

EDIT: Also I am curious if there cross pollination with your campaigns and ad groups. Do you also have search terms in different adgroups or campaign that are similar queries?

Example:
Ad Group A - flat screen tv 40 inch
Ad Group B - 44 inch flat screen television

If you have pollination, you could be raising your own costs artificially by competing against yourself.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 31, 2016

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

First thing I would suggest is turning of Display Select. Also, I bet there is a way to drastically lower those CPC. What is the break down of your Quality Scores on your keywords?

EDIT: Also I am curious if there cross pollination with your campaigns and ad groups. Do you also have search terms in different adgroups or campaign that are similar queries?

Example:
Ad Group A - flat screen tv 40 inch
Ad Group B - 44 inch flat screen television

If you have pollination, you could be raising your own costs artificially by competing against yourself.

I've removed Display Select

so I tweaked my bid down to the minimum to appear on the first page(under 2$ a click), and I'll run another 50$ to it. I did have two ads using the same keywords, so i was competing.

Quality score on KW1: 5 or 6/10
KW2: 1/10. I've disabled it, it had a high CPC compared to the other kW's too
KW3: 5 or 6/10

Should I consider paying CPA and having a purchase be an action I will pay for? Hell I'd pay 50$ per action if it happened and still make some money.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

I've removed Display Select

so I tweaked my bid down to the minimum to appear on the first page(under 2$ a click), and I'll run another 50$ to it. I did have two ads using the same keywords, so i was competing.

Quality score on KW1: 5 or 6/10
KW2: 1/10. I've disabled it, it had a high CPC compared to the other kW's too
KW3: 5 or 6/10

Should I consider paying CPA and having a purchase be an action I will pay for? Hell I'd pay 50$ per action if it happened and still make some money.

That is the idea, focusing on CPA instead of cpc. However you don't have much data, so it'll be hard to know which search terms are regular converters.

How is your ad copy and landing page? Could they be improved to raise QS?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

That is the idea, focusing on CPA instead of cpc. However you don't have much data, so it'll be hard to know which search terms are regular converters.

How is your ad copy and landing page? Could they be improved to raise QS?

Would sharing this info give away his niche?

DogsCantBudget fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 1, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DogsCantBudget posted:

Would sharing this info give away his niche?

It shouldn't. I'm only looking for how those factors effect the QS.

Example:

If you hover over the keywords Eligibility Status (it looks like cartoon text box) you'll see what is affecting the keyword's QS.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Both active keywords have a quality score of 5/10. The below average bit is the Clickthrough rate.

SnatchDuster, do you have a non-forums medium to discuss on?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lord1234 posted:

Both active keywords have a quality score of 5/10. The below average bit is the Clickthrough rate.

SnatchDuster, do you have a non-forums medium to discuss on?

Just sent you a PM.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://searchengineland.com/get-priorities-straight-structuring-google-shopping-campaigns-240785

Great read on how to do G Shopping right. For all of you running search ads on Google, I highly recommend running shopping in concert.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Google is nixing the right side ads on their SERPs. This will be a slow roll out, which will affect any of you goons testing out niches.

Basically all head terms (think "nike shoes" or "buy widget") will dramatically increase in CPC since there will be less spots, with the same amount of advertisers. However, the long tail strategy will not be as effected by this update. Google made this change to force advertisers that sell products on their sites to use Google Shopping.

http://recode.net/2016/02/20/google-makes-desktop-search-look-more-mobile-ish-to-milk-more-shopping-ads-cash/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's a shame this thread went dormant. The changes from Google's revision are visible and Yahoo/Bing are still circling the drain, while FB has done a lot to stay relevant, and men are joining Pinterest.

Latest Google Changes from their May announcement.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to get started with this today and be successful? I'm assuming more and more niches/markets are getting saturated - is that accurate, or not really?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I wonder if my budgeting business would have benefited from this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to get started with this today and be successful? I'm assuming more and more niches/markets are getting saturated - is that accurate, or not really?

New products are invented daily. Some businesses that were great a few years ago are now unactive trash, moved to page 5 of Google for being mobile unfriendly.

quote:

What kind of budgeting? It's very very difficult to make money teaching people to save their money. Corporate accountancy is different but I imagine reputation matters in that field?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pillowpants posted:

Using Adwords to generate leads is solid. Most of my clients are b2b lead gen companies from SaaS to Insurance. If you are a CPA or something similar than yea, you can use Adwords or Bing Ads to bring in clients.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Snatch Duster posted:

Using Adwords to generate leads is solid. Most of my clients are b2b lead gen companies from SaaS to Insurance. If you are a CPA or something similar than yea, you can use Adwords or Bing Ads to bring in clients.

What's your pricing structure? Clients always want "A percentage of what you earn, nothing else" while my devs would prefer "a straight hourly paycheck even if we sell 3 Dinglehorfers in a quarter."

Unstated is that there's more to Adwords than just running the campaign: there's landing pages, followup, email list, standardizing client communication (so that La Petite Chaussure doesn't start its Delivery emails with "Sup, Brah?"), A/B tests and multi-platform testing...

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

What's your pricing structure? Clients always want "A percentage of what you earn, nothing else" while my devs would prefer "a straight hourly paycheck even if we sell 3 Dinglehorfers in a quarter."

Unstated is that there's more to Adwords than just running the campaign: there's landing pages, followup, email list, standardizing client communication (so that La Petite Chaussure doesn't start its Delivery emails with "Sup, Brah?"), A/B tests and multi-platform testing...

Its a flat retainer or percent of adspend, whichever is greater.

For example:

Its $5k per month for management or 10% of adspend, the moment they spend over $50k in a month we'll charge them 10% of their budget. So if they spent $52k, we'll charge $5,200.

In my experience this is the most fair way. Because if it was commission base, like what your clients want, then what is stopping you from doing this business yourself or fudging the numbers with view through conversions, assisted conversions, etc? They hired you to be their digital marketing partner, not their sales team imo.

I know some companies like 3Q Digital that charge a flat fee + percent of adspend + commission on each sale. Which is loving insane but they got some pretty big clients so more power to them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You have a slick sales team if you get them to buy you chairs then pay you to sit down. Sounds like 3Q also has a foot rest stipend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Market Samurai is giving me this weird glitch where SEOC for every keyword I analyze is in the double digits?

• Locked thread