Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

:siren: Expansion release date announced! Launches April 22nd on Steam and GOG. More information here: http://starruler2.com/2016/04/11/heralds.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OFhVtqfDBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIwA8Xw_NA4

Nab it on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/282590
Swipe it on GOG: http://www.gog.com/game/star_ruler_2

Star Ruler 2 is a pausable 4X/RTS Hybrid developed by Blind Mind Studios (I'm one of the 2 BMS developers!). It's set in an original sci-fi setting at near-future tech levels - though it ends with the construction of entirely theoretical constructs such as Ringworlds.

You play as one of seven unique races [or a product of your own terrifying goon intellect] each with their own morph on the base gameplay (minus the 'vanilla' Terrakin). The first four non-terrakin races are minor morphs to the gameplay and the last two alter or even entirely subvert core concepts of the game. That's before we get into what FTL method your race uses (there are four, each have their perks and work entirely different from the others) and what Government your race adheres to. Your job is to survive, expand, and ultimately persist in the galaxy. Whether you wind up conquering the stars with thousands of ships hurled into the void with potent, star-crushing, weaponry - or diplomatically annexing and subjugating those who could or would stand against you - is up to you as their leader.

Star Ruler 2 runs on the Starflare Engine, a from-scratch in-house engine we built specifically for Star Ruler 2, and is releasing on PC and Linux. It has really minimal hardware requirements, which you can check out here on the Steam store page if you like but - brass tacks - if you've got a rig that's post-2009 you should be just fine.

Our goal was to create a 4X which tries to actually solve a lot of the problems we've had while playing other 4Xes, such as nobody having figured out a good way to do a diplomacy system that isn't Civilization's. Meanwhile, we wanted to revisit and improve all the ideas of Star Ruler 1 like making your planets something you care about and making the economy not mind-numbing. As a result, between the innovations and the improvements, we believe SR2 is a far superior title to the first one - despite offering a different gameplay experience.

Blind Mind Studios:
James Woodall (Firgof) - Too many responsibilities to list shortly.
Andrew Ackermann (ThyReaper) - Programmer [Doesn't have a SA forum account]

Glacicle:
Lucas de Vries (GGLucas) - Programmer

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

(Sorted by difficulty/subversion versus normal gameplay)

Beginner/Default (Recommended for those who are new to Star Ruler 2)

Advanced (Recommended for advanced players who understand the basics of the game and are ready to absorb new strategies)

Expert (Recommended for players who have mastered the core mechanics of the game and wish to learn new ones)

Reviews
"[...] a clear go-to for those who've been looking for a breath of fresh air in the strategy genre" - Twinfinite

"It will break a strategy gamer out of their long-held beliefs about the genre, and maybe just have enough mysteries to make a neophyte interested in doing something new [...] Space strategy fans would be doing themselves a disservice by not playing this unique diamond in the rough." -The Escapist

"Star Ruler 2 brings a number of fresh and enjoyable mechanics to the RTS/4X genre [...] (can't) wait to sink many more hours into this game. [...] Just buy it." - Explorminate

Firgof fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 16, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey a game actually came out of early access instead of languishing for years before being quietly abandoned.

Congrats.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Congratulations Firgof!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like space, and ships, and ships that travel through space. However I have played so many EPIC SPACE 4X at this point that I induce vomiting as a defensive measure when I hear the term. Seriously that poo poo is like tower defense now.

Firgof tell me what makes your game different from the legion of "spiritual successor to MOO2" titles that clutter gamer's Steam libraries like E.T. in a New Mexico landfill. This is the kind of info we discerning gamers want and need tia I look forward to your response.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks, y'all. Sorry for the second post being skeletal at the moment. I'm filling it out as quick as I can while trying to keep up with all the stuff going around on the 'net about the game.

Also, newcomers: Feel free to ask questions, make comments/suggestions, and whatnot. I'm not here just for show - I'm here to be at your disposal.

quote:

Firgof tell me what makes your game different from the legion of "spiritual successor to MOO2" titles that clutter gamer's Steam libraries like E.T. in a New Mexico landfill. This is the kind of info we discerning gamers want and need tia I look forward to your response.

Well, without going into long-winded details I guess what makes us most different is - we're not a spiritual successor to MoO 2. I'm not sure you could say we're a spiritual successor to anything really - except maybe Star Ruler 1. From the economy to diplomacy, it's a very different game than the Civ/MoO model that's been reproduced and refined over the years. We've got Ceaser 2 as inspiration for our economy, board games as inspiration for our diplomacy, FFX/PoE as inspiration for our Research, and Space Empires IV as inspiration for our ship design. Going in expecting Star Ruler 2 to behave much at all like MoO 2 I think would be setting your expectations up to be dashed.

I dislike marketing junk like 'a new breed of 4X' but that's kind of what this game represents. We really did build it wholecloth from scratch and ignored a lot of the conventions the genre so far has stated are 'mandatory' - going with our gut into unventured territory instead. So if you're looking for something new then Star Ruler 2 is where it's at.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 29, 2015

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Firgof posted:

Thanks, y'all. Sorry for the second post being skeletal at the moment. I'm filling it out as quick as I can while trying to keep up with all the stuff going around on the 'net about the game.

Also, newcomers: Feel free to ask questions, make comments/suggestions, and whatnot. I'm not here just for show - I'm here to be at your disposal.

It'd be nice to see a rundown of how the game differs from SR1. Though just from looking at the store page, this seems like quite an evolutionary leap from SR1 rather than just an incremental iteration, so perhaps that wouldn't be super useful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a long and extremely thorough review of the game..

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

bonds0097 posted:

It'd be nice to see a rundown of how the game differs from SR1. Though just from looking at the store page, this seems like quite an evolutionary leap from SR1 rather than just an incremental iteration, so perhaps that wouldn't be super useful.

A lot. It'd probably in fact be faster to run down all the ways its similar than all the ways its different. We held nothing sacred when we started up the development of SR2 - but kept in mind all the failures and problems SR1 had. It's the same idea/thrust as Star Ruler 1 but executed in an entirely different fashion. And it's built to be much more balanced than its predecessor.

There's no guarantee you'll like SR2 if you liked SR1 - but if you liked how we innovated with ship design in SR1 there's even more innovation in SR2. It's definitely not as mechanically complex in ship design - your ships won't be blowing up because they ran out of fuel 0.2 seconds after they left the dock, causing the power generators to fail, causing the bridges to go offline, causing the ship to go offline, causing space to damage the ship, and thus causing the ship to explode. This time it's more about strategy than tinkering around (though of course there's still tinkering around). Your ships won't be able to store ships that store ships that are missiles which shoot other ships - but you will be able to understand what the hell is going on when combat breaks out.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 27, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To get in on the ground floor and offer :goonsay::

Star Ruler 2 is a fun, interesting game which takes new spins on various concepts in the 4x genre. While it doesn't much resemble its predecessor other then in name, one thing that is consistent is the ever exuberant dev team. Firgof might not post much outside of his own thread, but he interacts with the community lots.

If anyone's on the fence about this one, I recommend getting it. Its not that hard to pick up, and it has the required depth to keep you amused for quite some time!

On a less reviewy note, when are we gonna get some multiplayer goon games going? Do we have a Star Ruler 2 SA steam group going yet?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Star Ruler 2 is an awesome game that everyone should buy because it's fun and good and polished.

However - come on Firgof, is Energy Clash still the same icon as Negotiate and Ancient Knowledge? I was sort of hoping there'd be an art overhaul for the diplomacy cards, like there was for subsystems and race art.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

DatonKallandor posted:

Star Ruler 2 is an awesome game that everyone should buy because it's fun and good and polished.

However - come on Firgof, is Energy Clash still the same icon as Negotiate and Ancient Knowledge? I was sort of hoping there'd be an art overhaul for the diplomacy cards, like there was for subsystems and race art.

It is, yeah. I'm intending on overhauling the diplomacy cards post-launch. Just didn't have enough time to get that done pre-launch. There's a bunch of things that I think could benefit from a little more elbow grease art-wise and I intend to layer it on.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So I'm sucking bad! Any ideas?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414910627

Also some questions:

What's the easiest/simplest way to get energy going in the beginning of the game?

At the start of the game, I can't find any victory conditions. How do you win?

When I click on a planet in the Planets box, it doesn't tell me what level the resource is, am I missing something? It's very frustrating.

When I discover new capabilities in research, are my ships automatically upgraded to use the new research or do I need to design new ships?

What does it mean if my first Influence number is in red?

That'll do to start :).

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

What's the easiest/simplest way to get energy going in the beginning of the game?
Either dump money into Energy welfare or into Research and try to get an Ionization (there's one two hops to the north of the starting Science nodes)

Also if the Zeitgeist: Power occurs, voting that in and being the biggest supporter will get you a lot of energy generation.

quote:

At the start of the game, I can't find any victory conditions. How do you win?
Either by exterminating all other races - or by subjugating them into becoming your Vassals. (Empires which surrender do not lose the game - they become Vassals of their Master, unable to form new treaties or have an independent war/ally relationship - they inherit their master's enemies and allies. Masters gain 20% of their points and can issue Edicts which reward Vassals who conquer the empire that the Master specifies with money (which doesn't come from the Master). Vassals also can't declare war against their master and Masters can't declare war against their Vassals. If your Master becomes subjugated, you share their fate. If your Master is killed - your Empire dies with them.)

How you accomplish this is left entirely to the player but by default there are a few things which can majorly shift the balance of power - these are listed presently as 'Victory options', such as assembling the Revenant - which is an incredibly powerful ship; but it is only a ship and must be wielded properly for it to win you the game.

quote:

When I click on a planet in the Planets box, it doesn't tell me what level the resource is, am I missing something? It's very frustrating.
There should be an icon on the resource itself. If it says 'I' then it's a Level One resource. 'II' means a L2. 'III': 3. And so on. Resources without any level requirement have no icon and can be produced on any level world - though the maximum pressure of that world may prevent efficient (or any) utilization of the resource on its own.

quote:

When I discover new capabilities in research, are my ships automatically upgraded to use the new research or do I need to design new ships?
Any % upgrades are applied automatically to ships in friendly space. New things such as a Graviton Condensor or the Bulkhead modifier do need to be placed on the design - and then ships using that design must be retrofitted at planets which have labor [and/or a shipyard].

quote:

What does it mean if my first Influence number is in red?
It means your Influence points have gone over your maximum. The further over your maximum you go, the less influence generation per second you will receive.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just played through the tutorial and really enjoyed it, a few things that stuck out me that were outside the 4X norm:

- The resource management system is really cool. I like the fact that not every planet can do everything and that you have to carefully balance which planets you upgrade by allocating resources to them and the like.

- On the same note, I really like how easy it is to set up import/export routes (since this is integral to the whole resource management situation) and colonize planets.

- I like the macro-ness of it all.

- The budget system is cool, I like that you only have a certain period of time to spend your budget and that you don't get to hoard infinite money.

- In general the economy is neat, the 'pressure' system is pretty novel (essentially, resources can create pressure on a planet which motivates civilians to build buildings that generate a certain kind of resource like research, money, etc.).

- Ship design is less overwhelming than I thought it would be, so that's cool. I also really like that I can easily download designs from the community tab since that's not really the main thing I want to spend time doing.

Looking forward to playing more!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks Firgof! You forgot to tell me how to suck less however :colbert:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Thanks Firgof! You forgot to tell me how to suck less however :colbert:

Ah, well that part's easy: Practice and experimentation. Also, if you can't beat them - join them.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Oh, this out now?

The original was great, looking forward to trying this over the weekend.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kris xK posted:

Oh, this out now?

The original was great, looking forward to trying this over the weekend.

Yep. Launched at about 12:30 PM CST today!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
A Good Game.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the dev's are heavily involved with the community. There's an integrated irc client in the game, and they're usually chilling in there willing to shoot the poo poo with anyone (at least, I assume this is the case, haven't had a ton of opportunity to play recently).

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Will buy, loved the first one for ship design alone.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Still the case!

In the last week we've discussed:
* how FTL in SR2 should be a time machine, but isn't because the FTL crystals enforce causality or something (we dunno how! It just does!)
* the damage capacity of a 130g antimatter detonation in space
* how pressure capacitance actually works (it's about as mathy/logicy as the stuff above)
* the specific formulae for income via population and level

And everyone's favorite: How to defeat Alarcarr/Jurasic Park's beam sniper ships.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 29, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I know how to beat beam snipers. I will beat them. Soon.

Ish.

Soonish.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

More questions!

Why would I want to rally to an asteroid?

What makes the "colonize and auto-import to Level X" message come up instead of just "colonize?"

What do I need to do to get Influence storage?

How can I easily find unused mining ships. I find asteroids I want to mine but I can't figure out how to find unused ships. I can find all mining ships, but I only want idle ones.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I have a question about your poo poo designer. When you setup the layout of your ship, is it defined by the ship model you're using? Will the ship's model reflect what you have in your design (Or is the model just static). I always find making ships to be kind of boring when they don't really look like what you've designed. I realize that poo poo is hard to do, I'm just wondering.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Why would I want to rally to an asteroid?
In case the ship you were buying was a Miner.

Lorini posted:

What makes the "colonize and auto-import to Level X" message come up instead of just "colonize?"
If the resource on the world you're colonizing is a leveled resource.

Lorini posted:

What do I need to do to get Influence storage?
Simply: Gain more influence generation.

Lorini posted:

How can I easily find unused mining ships. I find asteroids I want to mine but I can't figure out how to find unused ships. I can find all mining ships, but I only want idle ones.
Click the [...] button on the sidebar and check the 'Civilian Flagships' option. The ones you select that don't have any green lines and aren't by an asteroid are ones that aren't doing anything presently.

quote:

I have a question about your poo poo designer.
Yeah well I have a question about YOUR poo poo designer! :downswords: (Sorry, I'm one of those people that has to do that sort of thing.)

It's actually the inverse - the ship model tries to approximate itself to the shape of the design you've made. You can also manually select which model you'd like it to use by clicking the model selector button in the little sub-topbar in the design editor (I think it's the one that has the icon for a flagship). We don't have an enormous amount of models, of course, and some of the shipsets have 'preferred shapes' just due to how the models were made but nonetheless it does try.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

In case the ship you were buying was a Miner.

So how does that work? I'd love to rally a miner that I'm building to an asteroid. Do I click on the building planet and then click on the asteroid?

Thanks much Firgof. I wanted to wait til it was released to really dig in.

Edit, ok I queued up two miners and used two different rallys, but only the first one worked.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 27, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The game is crashing as soon as I begin it, it appears to happen as soon as the steam overlay notification pops up in the lower right.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
If you're on an ATI card then you'll want to update your drivers. If not, are you on an intel card?

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 28, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To chuck my :goonsay: into the mix, Star Ruler 2 is an extremely solid and surprisngly innovative 4x/RTS, even the mechanics it cribs from other games are implemented rather uniquely, and stuff like the diplomacy system is almost entirely novel, or at least I don't know of any other game with anything like it.

It's basically Space Opera Bullshit: The Game because it does a great job of letting you build the stupidest and most insane spaceships and empires right out of The Culture novels or whatever else. Building a ringworld is extremely hard but it's also realistically an absolutely insane concentration of power and production. This game gets scale in a way very few other space games do.

If I have any criticisms, it's that the game would be much improved (though it's already good) with more content, more systems, more difference between some of the races, and more map types and stuff to find in space. SR1 had the Galactic Armory mod which really made the game a lot better while relying on the existing mechanics, just by putting more content in. And also the AI is a little bit easy, or possibly the Mono are a bit overpowered given that I've yet to face much challenge playing as them.

But it's definitely a good game and offers stuff you won't find elsewhere in the 4X genre.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I have a question about your poo poo designer.

:eyepop:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Firgof posted:

If you're on an ATI card then you'll want to update your drivers. If not, are you on an intel card?

AMD Radeon, but I'm updating my drivers anyway to see if that resolves the issue.

edit: yeah it's fixed, thanks

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 28, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
No problem. Hope you enjoy it!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why isn't the system with the red line connected?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415042364

In other words, what would I have to do to make it connected? I don't understand how the planets connect up.

thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lorini posted:

Why isn't the system with the red line connected?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415042364

In other words, what would I have to do to make it connected? I don't understand how the planets connect up.

thanks.

Mouse over a star, it will show the trade lane connections between it and nearby stars, you have to link systems following those lanes.

Alternatively, build a commerce station in each system, which links systems too.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Edit: Ninja'd. ^

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had no idea this was out so soon! :wow: Gonna have to pick it up because I enjoyed the original a great deal and I am especially eager to see A) Someone who has explicitly said "We're not trying to succeed MoO2" and B) Diplomacy that is different from the Civ model.

e; Plus Firgof is good people who actually communicates with players and stuff, and didn't run off before finishing the first game.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 28, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I had no idea this was out so soon! :wow: Gonna have to pick it up because I enjoyed the original a great deal and I am especially eager to see A) Someone who has explicitly said "We're not trying to succeed MoO2" and B) Diplomacy that is different from the Civ model.

I quite enjoy the diplomacy system in Star Ruler 2, although I tend to dabble in it rather then focus in it. It really is diplomacy that can kick your rear end if someone goes all out on it, ranging from giving you intel to sabotaging their fleets to annexing planets and stealing artifacts.

I'm hoping to see a Galactic Armory style mod in the near future which diversifies in to a bunch of (probably superfluos) weapon types, because I love pointless poo poo like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Diplomacy is actually really powerful but I admit, I don't focus on it either.

I feel like I would focus on it more if I could set up rules and have it run itself. Like, if I could set the game up to autobuy enhance and cultivation cards if they cost a certain percentage of my influence, or if I could filter what messages cause popups. Also if I could set up things to spend influence freely if I'm running up against my cap, stuff like that.

The system is good but you have to keep an eye on it all the time to really play it well, and I find that doesn't mesh too well with the main job of setting up your empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Question, how micro/detail focused is this? I haven't had a lot of love for the Space 4X Genre, as it were, for a while because it tends to boil down to an extreme level of possible customization. I know a lot of people like this! That's cool! But I'm not a fan, especially when it feels like 'build the mining things on the mining planet. hard decision' as it often does. To give some comparison, I really liked Sword of the Stars (1, of course) because it abstracted a lot of that and made for focus on more interesting elements, rather than the individual structures on each of 20 planets; basically, the game flowed really well. Is this game more about the aforementioned kind of hard-core micro or does it try to keep turns flowing?

EDIT: to clarify, it doesn't have to be AS abstracted as SotS; I also liked Endless Space, at least until it became clear it was a mess in other ways.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 28, 2015

• Locked thread