Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bremen posted:

I've been having fun with the invasion map type just solo play. It's a fun way to experiment with the big toys that don't come up much in normal games.

I gave hard mode a good run, but in the end my huge fleets of missile bases and muon cannon supports couldn't hold the line. The last wave was a size 50,000 ship with 4k supports, totaling over 300 million strength :x

The thing that killed me in Invasion was the later ships were able to fire on my ship yards at my home planet from where they spawned. Might want to increase the distance between systems, but that will make the early waves more difficult to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Garfu posted:

And wait wtf there's a checkbox to allow planet damage? I've just been using Graviton beams

?????????????????????

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Doodmons posted:

supports that are size 250
... that would totally make my computer not want to kill itself when I am playing. 30+ planets with thousand of defense points and giant fleets of sub-10 supports makes my game almost stop motion (IF I COULD PRESS THE drat PAUSE BUTTON ANYWAY)

Although there is something absolutely MAGICAL about putting a bacon and a ringworld in another faction's home system, making that ring just the gun and missile base (not at home, can't check), building up (and transferring) massive low cost support fleets to the ringworld, annexing all their other systems and then deccing the faction. My record time to surrender was under 3 minutes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Star Ruler 2 devs, any answers as to why the DLC expansion hasn't appeared on GOG yet?
I don't own Star Ruler 2 on steam, just on GOG.

Wasn't able to find anything on the official Blind Mind Studios forum about the DLC (hilarious or sad?),
and the last Dev post on the GOG thread about the DLC expansion was on April 29th.

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_ruler_2/news_concerning_upcoming_extensiondlc/page1

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
They've got all the stuff they need to launch it. Our best guess is that they're working through a backlog of launch titles and whatnot, since they QC each build before they set it as live.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Firgof posted:

They've got all the stuff they need to launch it. Our best guess is that they're working through a backlog of launch titles and whatnot, since they QC each build before they set it as live.

Cool, thanks for the update. I look forward to getting the DLC when GOG finally releases it.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Might not mean much but I like SR2 wayyyy better than Stellaris.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It means something to us at the very least. :)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Firgof posted:

It means something to us at the very least. :)

I rarely, rarely do this. But I like you guys. So I bought the expansion today. I may never end up playing it. But I like what you guys have created, and for this one time in my life, wanted to reward effort and passion.

(I will now go back to being dead inside.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This is what I said in the Stellaris thread

"I own over two dozen space strategy games. To me there are basically three games (of this century) that stand out as doing something fundamentally different and that's this game, Distant Worlds, and Star Ruler 2. "

Stellaris is much more of a RP/experience generator style game than Star Ruler 2. Right now it's weak on the AI and the UI/automation stuff, which I really miss coming from SR2 and DW. If you find SR2 to be too dry, then Stellaris will be your game down the road I think. But I like mechanics and automation in a game, so SR2 and DW will be my go to games for some time, at least until Stellaris gets to be much more developed.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I saw some weird behavior in my last game regarding annexations. At one point, the AI had 5 Annex Planet cards played... all for the same planet, at the same time.

AI overlords of AI vassals will happily support their underlings' desire to annex their clay. It doesn't just happen when the defeated player starts some overlord-annexation shenanigans!

I pretty much finished my last game off by planting Outposts in every system in the galaxy, and having so much research done that they were able to take out all AI attempts at building fleets, after I destroyed the fleets they started the Last War with. Mass Outposts to boost your Xenophobia attitude is strong as gently caress, the ultimate where I get cash from destroyed enemy fleets gave me at least 20 million bucks in the opening moments of the Last War, and had me over 200 million when I decided to build a size-63k flagship...

Heralds and their auto-expansion were fun to play as :)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Update on the Expansion's launch on GoG: GoG is shooting for a friday launch of the expansion.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Firgof posted:

Update on the Expansion's launch on GoG: GoG is shooting for a friday launch of the expansion.

It appeared: https://www.gog.com/game/star_ruler_2_wake_of_the_heralds

Also, the base game is 50% off: https://www.gog.com/game/star_ruler_2

Hope it goes well for you !

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Hot drat, the game and its expansion for less than the normal retail? Done.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Are you only allowed one secret project per game? I brought several innovation cards after learning about artificial moon but I didn't get any mew secret project. Also miners seem to randomly break, I set their drop point and order them to automatically mine an asteroid (why is the option to mine them once even there) and I would check back on my miners later and half of them would be standing around with full cargos not doing anything. Also as if fling beacons aren't already the best poo poo in the world, i wish you could also fling asteroids. And I dunno if this is a bug but when you fling a planet all of its support ships get left behind and slowly disappear.

Fun game though, much better than stellaris.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Welp, nice timing on the gog sale, I just rage bought this after the shambles that was Stellaris.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Whilst I am loving Stellaris, SR and SR2 have and always will have a special place in my heart.

Especially because no other fucker has done diplomacy as well as in SR2, by Christ if there was justice that part would straight up become the new genre standard.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mister Adequate posted:

Whilst I am loving Stellaris, SR and SR2 have and always will have a special place in my heart.

Especially because no other fucker has done diplomacy as well as in SR2, by Christ if there was justice that part would straight up become the new genre standard.

No poo poo, Ive never had so much fun at diplomacy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Deadmeat5150 posted:

No poo poo, Ive never had so much fun at diplomacy.

Nah, making sure the diplomacy balance is >= 5 is way more fun. I also really like adding and removing poo poo to see if options are even possible for each AI player instead of just graying out those options and explaining why on mouseover. (Yes, I'm obviously bitching about Stellaris but that's also pretty much every other 4X as well.)

Definitely the biggest improvement/innovation in this game compared to the standard 4X formula.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll dogpile onto this view. The card system is one of those things that seems obvious in retrospect: "Why haven't games been doing this for years?" It's even a fun play on words. "If we play our cards right, we might convince them to do such-and-such," or, "I'm going to play the no-thank-you card."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ynglaur posted:

I'll dogpile onto this view. The card system is one of those things that seems obvious in retrospect: "Why haven't games been doing this for years?" It's even a fun play on words. "If we play our cards right, we might convince them to do such-and-such," or, "I'm going to play the no-thank-you card."

I haven't played a space 4x since goddamn GalCiv2, and this really make me want to get SR2.

So I guess my obvious dumb question is... how does this compare to GalCiv2? I played a ton of that game but eventually just got burned out on it, and GalCiv3 by all accounts is just a step backwards or sideways from that.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I haven't played a space 4x since goddamn GalCiv2, and this really make me want to get SR2.

So I guess my obvious dumb question is... how does this compare to GalCiv2? I played a ton of that game but eventually just got burned out on it, and GalCiv3 by all accounts is just a step backwards or sideways from that.

To give the closest comparison I can:

Real Time Strategy instead of Turn Based Strategy

Similar style of grid based planet building, albeit a lot of it is done automatically by your "citizens", you build big important projects

More weapon variety for fleets

Fleets are mostly made up of automatically built small ships with you specifically building the flagships

More ship customization

Tech research is more passive/based on a "tech bush" where you can choose to go down a specific chain

There's less "character" to SR2 overall, I would say. Whether thats a good or a bad thing depends on your imagination/how much you liked GalCiv2

Faster paced

Decent/strong AI, though it can be hoodwinked in certain ways to break it (though so can most AIs, so thats not saying much.)

Not much in the way of random events. There are "anomalies" which are out in the open for anyone to scan and look at, but these generally have positive outcomes and at worst spawn a middling, stationary aggresive neutral fleet.

A very strong diplomatic system. Going diplomacy heavy is not only an option but a strong one, with much more available to you then the usual diplomatic options. (Examples include Electing yourself Galactic Senate Leader for bonuses to politics, using accrued intelligence on enemies to weaken their political stance, "Investigating" them to get to see their territory and ships etc.)

These are just bulletpoints, but should give some idea as to key differences.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

sean10mm posted:

SR2 has ship design that actually has a gameplay impact, and a combat system that isn't 3-color rock paper scissors.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You can have so many missiles fly out of one ship it'll look like you're trying to remake Macross.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im thinking of getting this game (I was almost getting stellaris but it seems to be a couple pf patches/DLCs to being good, so will wait) right now, but I have two questions first:

1- how well can I run it on my old i5 with 12GB RAM and a Raden 5770 (mint linux)? Its above the minimum requirements but that often doesnt means its really plays well

2- should I get the DLC too?

EDIT: 3- how is the combat? I love 4X games but Ive always been more of a turn-based guy. I can manage real time when it doenst requires fast thinking, like in paradox games, but I dont have patience/skill for frantic classic RTS like starcraft or whatnot

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 6, 2016

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im thinking of getting this game (I was almost getting stellaris but it seems to be a couple pf patches/DLCs to being good, so will wait) right now, but I have two questions first:

2- should I get the DLC too?
Yes, though I think the DLC needs a patch to make some of the Secret Technologies more effective.

quote:

EDIT: 3- how is the combat? I love 4X games but Ive always been more of a turn-based guy. I can manage real time when it doenst requires fast thinking, like in paradox games, but I dont have patience/skill for frantic classic RTS like starcraft or whatnot

Nice and slow, and there's a pause game function. No crazy micro necessary, pause the game and plan a big attack, tell one fleet to warp in front of the bad guys and one behind, and you should get satisfactory results.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Most of the "strategy" is strategic rather then tactical (i.e. choosing your fleet composition and your fleet movement). You can order fleets to retreat/attack but have little involvment with their actual actions once they get into combat. As poster above noted, you can pause/slowdown the game as needed.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its Kohan or Axis and Allies style combat, but without locking the armies into fights if you've played those. Basically no micro at all.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So, I played this about a year ago and wrote it off as crap, now I've been getting back into it because its fun. I play like poo poo, but its fun. Bought the DLC, could really use a 'guided campaign' like a extra long tutorial with goals like "level up this money planet to lvl 4"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Baloogan posted:

So, I played this about a year ago and wrote it off as crap, now I've been getting back into it because its fun. I play like poo poo, but its fun. Bought the DLC, could really use a 'guided campaign' like a extra long tutorial with goals like "level up this money planet to lvl 4"

The new focuses help with that a little bit.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya true
first time I played I really didn't understand the pressure system. The pressure system is the most innovative part of star ruler imo but its also not explained in the game anywhere... Also "pressure" is not quite the right word to use to describe what it is, 'brain drain' / 'immigration' / 'influence' / 'tribute' / 'power' / 'culture' / 'imports'

its fun now that I understand it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also 'expanse' galaxy is seriously the best idea ever for galaxy generation in the history of 4x games.

its exacly what i want out of a galaxy, a limited super conflict zone, and an infinite back 40

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hope you guys are still working on DLC. an 'officers/heros' mechanic would be cool

or a megastructures dlc. ringworlds are the first rung!

assault gate!!!!!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
drat, I was waiting for this game to get on a sale to buy it and then completely forgot

It probably was on the steam sale but now is no more :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
pay fullllll priiiiiiice

also it literally IRL took me a year to realize that there wasn't anything special about your starting world aside from a built in water resource and a factory.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

imo funnest starting settings (Expanse galaxy)

also fuckin delete all the starting ship designs, make ur own goddamn designs k thx

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

plz rate

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

(e: unless I'm completely wrong and/or misremembering how damage works)

It could probably benefit from having at least 3 single-tile command sections scattered far apart but still buried in at least a bit of armor and gun/engine/etc for buffer, so it can absorb more damage from any given angle before dying even if its gun(s)get disabled and the other bridge(s) gets destroyed. That helps it keep the rest of the fleet alive longer in an engagement since it provides one more target and a significantly tougher target, plus it can repair back to full as long as it survives with at least one crewmember alive to patch up the burning wreck.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 30, 2016

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
After a recent game of Twilight Imperium, I had a hankering for a space 4X and found this in my steam library. Must have been from a bundle or something. I almost completely overlooked it, and wasn't really expecting much when I installed it.

While playing the tutorial, I said out loud "Oh this is bad rear end!" at least 3 times. Now I just wish I'd looked into this thread earlier.
My first game ended horribly as these games usually do for me, but I was impressed enough to immediately buy the expansion even though I'm incredibly broke and shouldn't spend money. It was mostly trading card money anyway.

I haven't had time to dig in yet, but my only wish so far is for dual monitor support. The tab based interface just begs for it. I instinctively tried to pull tabs over to the other monitor as if they were chrome tabs. I wasn't exactly disappointed or surprised when that didn't work, but if it did, I'd probably jump and clap. I'm sure there's a good reason so few devs implement support for multiple monitors. Maybe it just takes too much development time for a feature only a small portion of players would use, and I can see this is a pretty small team. I find myself wishing for it in most 4X games I play, though and this one especially...the tabs just make it seem so obvious that I did poke around the options a bit to see if it had been implemented, but didn't find anything. This isn't really a complaint, and I've already dedicated way too many words to it. It just would have been icing.

Digression aside, I just wanted to chime in to say wow, great game. I can't wait to really learn it, then try to convince my friends to pick it up so we can give Invasion a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
It's on sale on GOG.com this weekend. 75% off the base game and 35% off the expansion:
https://www.gog.com/promo/20160822_special_promo_star_ruler_2

• Locked thread