Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks much, VikingSkull. I hope you enjoy what we're planning for the game as well.

Also, we're having some trouble rousing the attention of larger media entities. So if you want Star Ruler 2 covered by your favorite review-site/blog/magazine/Let's Player, make sure to give them a shout/tweet/e-mail/vine/instagram/snail-mail/IM/chat-message/skype v-mail/etc. about how you want them to check the game out. We'll do what we can on our end to keep trying to drum up some interest - but their attention will be much more focused on what you, the folks consuming their media, want them to cover.

quote:

Biggest concern I have though is the research screen.
Mine too, presently. It needs a little Tender Loving Care - and a lot of elbow grease. I'll be taking a look at it as soon as I can.

Also, mentioned this in the last thread: If y'all have anyone in mind who you'd think would enjoy covering the game and who you like watching/reading, please let us know and I'll see about extending a hand and a key to the game to them. Thanks everyone for your continued support - today we broke 360 simultaneous players which is close to half of SR1's all-time high (set during the time it was included in a space-themed bundle on Steam I believe).

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I have SR1 but it didn't grab me, I just remember being confused by it.

I don't play any 4x games really, but I like the idea of big space battles. Is this something I can pick up and not have to put tons of hours into understanding it how it all works?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

warcake posted:

I have SR1 but it didn't grab me, I just remember being confused by it.

I don't play any 4x games really, but I like the idea of big space battles. Is this something I can pick up and not have to put tons of hours into understanding it how it all works?

I thought the tutorial did a great job of explaining the basic mechanics. And it takes well less than an hour.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I like Das24680 although he can be a little dithery/slow. I actually was a little surprised that he hasn't already done a series. He really likes Distant Worlds.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bought this cause I've been reading the past thread during EA and wanted to wait until it was done. Do we have any people down to try multiplayer

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Y'all should organize a MP goongroup so I can link to it in the OP!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Firgof posted:

Also, we're having some trouble rousing the attention of larger media entities. So if you want Star Ruler 2 covered by your favorite review-site/blog/magazine/Let's Player, make sure to give them a shout/tweet/e-mail/vine/instagram/snail-mail/IM/chat-message/skype v-mail/etc. about how you want them to check the game out. We'll do what we can on our end to keep trying to drum up some interest - but their attention will be much more focused on what you, the folks consuming their media, want them to cover.

Have you tried Rock Paper Shotgun? I've been impressed with their 4x coverage in the past.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yep. A few times, actually. One e-mail each to multiple writers, one in July I think, one back in November, one more recently. Seems they're just not interested in it. That, or my e-mails kept getting lost in their inboxes.

I bet they would be if folks started asking them to cover it though.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 30, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The diplomacy stuff is really cool, I like how you guys handled that feature. Civ, or the Total War series (about as close to 4x games that I get) are just so dry. The card system is a pretty organic way to do it.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

The game looks pretty good. I'll probably pick it up on Steam this week. The card system, diplomacy and ship design aspects looks really interesting.

As far as getting the word out have you given out copies to any streamers on Twitch? I didn't even know that Cities: Skylines existed a few weeks ago then I saw a streamer playing it and had to have it. Even if they only put a few hours in on a weekend they might get the word out.

Doobie Keebler fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 30, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Since no one else seemed to be stepping on it, heres a lovely group I made!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SR2LLJK

Got a game set up for Tuesday at (I believe) 11 PM GMT/ 6 PM EST

Its not gonna have sign ups or anything, it'll be first come first serve on the day and probably be 6 people, depending on host tolerance.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone with an anime steam av is my friend

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Conot posted:

Since no one else seemed to be stepping on it, heres a lovely group I made!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SR2LLJK

Got a game set up for Tuesday at (I believe) 11 PM GMT/ 6 PM EST

Its not gonna have sign ups or anything, it'll be first come first serve on the day and probably be 6 people, depending on host tolerance.

Put it under the community tab and copied over the info. Thanks for setting it up!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So when I capture a planet and build a resupply station I can't capture any more planets in that system; it says that capturing that planet is forbidden by a decree or outpost. Is this a bug or intended? It took me a while to figure out why the heck I couldnt capture the rest of that system's planets.

This game owns. Only issue I have is really the research screen, but the previous posts pretty much covered the issues I had with it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
One thing I think would be nice for the research screen is an optional view or maybe separate page that lists the techs by category like we're used to seeing in other games, then clicking on the tech you want will take you to the research screen and outline the path to that tech. Better yet, it'll queue all the techs up to and including that one and research them as soon as RP becomes available.

Right now it's kind of a PITA to figure out "How do I get better guns/shields/whatever?" when you're new. Hell, even finding out what guns/shields/whatever are available to be researched is a pain with the current screen and it's easy to miss techs as techs of the same type aren't all grouped together. There are some small groupings though which may lead you to think that those are all the options for that type of tech, but generally that isn't true.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kinetica posted:

So when I capture a planet and build a resupply station I can't capture any more planets in that system; it says that capturing that planet is forbidden by a decree or outpost. Is this a bug or intended? It took me a while to figure out why the heck I couldnt capture the rest of that system's planets.

This game owns. Only issue I have is really the research screen, but the previous posts pretty much covered the issues I had with it.

What likely happened is that either the AI/Empire you were assaulting used the 'Protect System' card on the system you were assaulting, making it impossible to siege for a number of minutes - or they built an outpost in the system which you must destroy first. OR they exported Psionic Reagants to that system and their effect came into play.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy keeps trying to take my morphogenic metal planet. I'm 200 energy away from the planet buster. The gently caress you is coming

E: right before I activated it he lost diplomacy that revealed all his planets. Last ditch effort to cruise my planet destroyer to his home world and gently caress him up initiated

frank.club fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I have no idea what I am doing on the combat side of this game, Is their something to it beyond rub fleets together guy with more better ships wins.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Firgof posted:

Thanks much, VikingSkull. I hope you enjoy what we're planning for the game as well.

Mine too, presently. It needs a little Tender Loving Care - and a lot of elbow grease. I'll be taking a look at it as soon as I can.

Also, mentioned this in the last thread: If y'all have anyone in mind who you'd think would enjoy covering the game and who you like watching/reading, please let us know and I'll see about extending a hand and a key to the game to them. Thanks everyone for your continued support - today we broke 360 simultaneous players which is close to half of SR1's all-time high (set during the time it was included in a space-themed bundle on Steam I believe).

I'll be honest I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing on the research screen. I honestly preferred SR1's research screen in that regard.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If I research the same thing twice (as they seem to be in more than one location) do I get the products of both researches? Or is it just a waste of research points to do that

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kinetica posted:

If I research the same thing twice (as they seem to be in more than one location) do I get the products of both researches? Or is it just a waste of research points to do that

They stack.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kinetica posted:

As Bremen notes, the % bonuses and such all stack. Stuff like subsystem unlocks are, when unlocked in one place, unlocked in all locations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Awesome, thanks guys.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hagop posted:

I have no idea what I am doing on the combat side of this game, Is their something to it beyond rub fleets together guy with more better ships wins.

Oh yeah there is. I frequently use fleets with less strength against fleets with huge strength and win. It's about your weapons, the size of them, and how you set your supports to act.

Lots of lasers is awesome, unless your opponent has a ton of armor in which case you might as well be flinging boogers at him.

Lots of missiles rocks. Mixed in with some torpedoes and you can do serious damage. Slowly.

Lots of rail guns rock. Unless your opponent has shields. Then they sort of laugh at you.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh yeah there is. I frequently use fleets with less strength against fleets with huge strength and win. It's about your weapons, the size of them, and how you set your supports to act.

Lots of lasers is awesome, unless your opponent has a ton of armor in which case you might as well be flinging boogers at him.

Lots of missiles rocks. Mixed in with some torpedoes and you can do serious damage. Slowly.

Lots of rail guns rock. Unless your opponent has shields. Then they sort of laugh at you.

A big thing that a lot of people miss is that supplies directly interact with your fleet strength. Missiles and rail guns use supplies, as do repairs, and if your fleet runs out of supplies its combat strength could be as little as a tenth of its earlier level. Make sure your flagship has good supply storage if you're gonna use a lot of missiles, people.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a guy who knows nothing about this, is loving TERRIBLE at strategy, but has a fresh month of excusing impulse buys coming, I have one question before I get some rest.

Can you fire Mono's out of a giant cannon as a means to colonize other worlds with them?

Sots 1 is the only game of this type I've put in enough time to be close to 'understanding' what I was doing... Or at least, :neckbeard: at the ship battles as I win three out of ten games that involve more than one AI :downs:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Section Z posted:

As a guy who knows nothing about this, is loving TERRIBLE at strategy, but has a fresh month of excusing impulse buys coming, I have one question before I get some rest.

Can you fire Mono's out of a giant cannon as a means to colonize other worlds with them?

Sots 1 is the only game of this type I've put in enough time to be close to 'understanding' what I was doing... Or at least, :neckbeard: at the ship battles as I win three out of ten games that involve more than one AI :downs:

You can imagine that's how it works I suppose....

In-game they just teleport to the target planet. This does cost some FTL resource based on distance though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the Mono backstory, firing them out of a cannon at other planets would probably just make more enemies.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I still don't know what the hell I am doing on the combat side of things.

Should movement matter out side of kiting?

I tried circling a fleet I was fighting and they just spun in place and kept up with my ships, and I can't seem to find any method get get my ships to break up and bawl or even change formation. Am I missing something, as this would seem to make weapon arcs mostly useless?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Section Z posted:

This is basically how they colonize other world's. Yes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hagop posted:

So I still don't know what the hell I am doing on the combat side of things.

Should movement matter out side of kiting?

I tried circling a fleet I was fighting and they just spun in place and kept up with my ships, and I can't seem to find any method get get my ships to break up and bawl or even change formation. Am I missing something, as this would seem to make weapon arcs mostly useless?

If you want your supports to leave formation and do things like Raid, you have to make sure they have adequate ammo stores on board, even for laser boats.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Heads up: SR2: Surplus Autocannon's (the SA SR2 goon-munity) first community game is in approximately 2 hours. (5:00 PM CST)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Firgof posted:

Heads up: SR2: Surplus Autocannon's (the SA SR2 goon-munity) first community game is in approximately 2 hours. (5:00 PM CST)

Game is up now, password is as standard for goon games, or if you're not aware of it, its in the event description if you're in the group.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Firgof, you should link to reviews/LPs of the game in the OP as you find them.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Good idea. Updated the OP with those.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here's a Let's Play from Space Game Junkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwkVMXnPVg

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I love that I can play as Star Children with Slipstream FTL. It's just so cool.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

(video)

Added to the OP.

Also, we're on GOG now!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 1, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lorini posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwkVMXnPVg

Holy christ, it's the American TotalBiscuit. I think he was lying when he said he played the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, so what's a good bunch of stuff to build on your planet(s) when you're starting out? So far I've just about got the hang of how the resource chains work and I've heard you don't want to be building stuff everywhere, but presumably you want some buildings on the planets you're levelling up?

• Locked thread