Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Gort posted:

OK, so what's a good bunch of stuff to build on your planet(s) when you're starting out? So far I've just about got the hang of how the resource chains work and I've heard you don't want to be building stuff everywhere, but presumably you want some buildings on the planets you're levelling up?

Dunno what "good people" do, but I tend to just rely on pressure for planet development. I'll throw a(nother) factory on a forgeworld once I've upgraded them a bit, and a forge is a great investment, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gort posted:

OK, so what's a good bunch of stuff to build on your planet(s) when you're starting out? So far I've just about got the hang of how the resource chains work and I've heard you don't want to be building stuff everywhere, but presumably you want some buildings on the planets you're levelling up?

Generally I don't develop my homeworld at all, just use it for colonization. It doesn't have any high level resources, so there's no pressing demand to level it up. Instead I find a level 3 resource planet or something with an open bonus (like FTL crystals) and start focusing on leveling it up instead.

As far as construction, FTL planets are good sites for an FTL storage structure, and if a high level planet has a fairly small surface area or needs more pressure capacity I'll sometimes build a megacity. If you run out of food or water planets those respective structures can work as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A bunch of asteroid questions:

Do you need a miner if you have a planet construct a mine on an asteroid?

What exactly does ore do? Should I be building a miner for all the ore asteroids I find?

I've never seen a 'black hole' after 20 hours of play. Is it the same as a worm hole or slip stream?

"Must target object with cargo storage". I don't understand this, I'm trying to mine an asteroid, how can the asteroid have cargo storage?

After I activate an asteroid like Morphic Materials, I get the message "This asteroid is being mined by a planet. Capture the planet to capture this mine" I don't understand what that means, there's no indication of who is mining it or how.

Also I'm still not understanding how the commerce station works

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537393237359407418/FECBC3CF3AC39808CE20057036724D4415AE328A/

Apparently there was no point in building the commerce station where I built it because it still can't import. What do I need to do to be able to import/export that good?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Nope.

Ore is used for Megaconstructions and particular later-game subsystems.

The black hole is like a star - except that it's a black hole. It also has a much bigger bang if you blow it up.

That's probably happening because you're trying to mine an asteroid which does not have Ore. Ore is the only asteroid resource which needs Miners to mine it - all others need Mining Bases built.

The purple line which leads back to the planet shows what planet built the mining base - capturing that planet will capture the mine.

There needs to be a Commerce Station in both disconnected territories for the territories to be able to trade with each other. Put another one in that system you're showing in the center and they'll be able to trade back and forth.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 1, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Nope.

Ore is used for Megaconstructions and particular later-game subsystems.

The black hole is like a star - except that it's a black hole. It also has a much bigger bang if you blow it up.

That's probably happening because you're trying to mine an asteroid which does not have Ore. Ore is the only asteroid resource which needs Miners to mine it - all others need Mining Bases built.

The purple line which leads back to the planet shows what planet built the mining base - capturing that planet will capture the mine.

There needs to be a Commerce Station in both disconnected territories for the territories to be able to trade with each other. Put another one in that system you're showing in the center and they'll be able to trade back and forth.

My last game (just started a little while ago) got a black hole, but then the whole galaxy interface screwed up and I couldn't move anything except my heavy carrier into the black hole. I did that and now no heavy carrier. I can't put a Singularity thing on the black hole either, game won't let me. It won't let me do anything on the galaxy map, I'm :argh: now.

I can't put a Commerce station in the other disconnected territory. I get the message it must be within my trading boundaries (or similar message). How do I move my trading boundaries in that picture?

Thanks again Firgof!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Latest release seems to be pretty crash happy. I've crashed twice in the last 90 minutes or so. Might have something to do with the game being creating in an older release (though still a final release version, not beta). I'm playing as stock Hoonan with 6 players set to 2nd highest difficulty level with 2 60 planet spiral galaxies. If I can repro the crash I'll post the save and repro steps on the official forums. Neither crash happened immediately after a player action, so it'll probably be a pain figuring out how to repro it.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Please do toss us that crash if you can reproduce it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is there a reason that Supplies cost like 20k in maintainance per tile? I mean christ it's more than stuff like nuclear reactors and engines.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Please do toss us that crash if you can reproduce it.

After the crash I mentioned, I tried to load the game again and it refused to load. I then ended it in the task manager, started it again and it was ok. It hadn't done that before this latest update that was released today.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
So that building minimum-scale ships which are nothing but Supplies (because Supplies are all that's necessary to capture a planet) is an investment.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is there a reason that Supplies cost like 20k in maintainance per tile? I mean christ it's more than stuff like nuclear reactors and engines.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to keep the artificial climates going for the space cows and temperature controlled wine storage? Or do you expect ship crews to go without fresh beef and vintage Chardonnay and just have frozen poo poo all the time?

Next you'll want them to get rid of the walk-in humidors.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

After the crash I mentioned, I tried to load the game again and it refused to load. I then ended it in the task manager, started it again and it was ok. It hadn't done that before this latest update that was released today.

Please toss us that save so we can check out what's going on.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Firgof posted:

So that building minimum-scale ships which are nothing but Supplies (because Supplies are all that's necessary to capture a planet) is an investment.

Yeah, in the earlier betas there was a ship archetype that was a bit too good called the trooper which literally had nothing but engines and supplies to cap planets.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Please toss us that save so we can check out what's going on.

I don't have the save, but if it happens again I'll keep it. I overwrote it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The previous Surplus Autocannons game had basically no one show up, which I'm choosing to blame on it being on a Tuesday and also European summertime starting. It was also relatively early in the evening for NA residents. So, new multiplayer game scheduled for Sunday the 5th at 1 AM GMT+1/8 PM EST

Arianya fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 2, 2015

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Conot posted:

The previous Surplus Autocannons game had basically no one show up, which I'm choosing to blame on it being on a Tuesday and also European summertime starting. It was also relatively early in the evening for NA residents. So, new multiplayer game scheduled for Sunday the 5th at 1 AM GMT+1/8 PM EST

I'll be there. I hope others are as well, I'm looking forward to some multiplayer action (or at least multiplayer goofing around).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I'm having trouble with sizes of ships. Is size 1 a fighter or a frigate? is size 50 huge for a support ship? I've got no idea. Do ships face the target and rear armor is useless unless running away?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

winterwerefox posted:

I'm having trouble with sizes of ships. Is size 1 a fighter or a frigate? is size 50 huge for a support ship? I've got no idea. Do ships face the target and rear armor is useless unless running away?

There's no real hard rules for sizes. Size 1 is pretty tiny, though. The default support ships are size 2-8, but there's no reason you can't build bigger ones if you want; I have a design for size 64 supports I've been experimenting with.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll be there for Sunday!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Episode 2 of Grey Hunter's LP is now available; in which GH goes to war against the Feyh - and the Nylli - and the [...].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2tf2DAZwc

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just a stupid question, since Steam has me confused: As a beta tester, do I have to buy the game again?

I'm asking because Steam simultaneously tells me that I already have the game and that I can buy it. Is the game I have a beta version which won't get any further updates, or is the version I have already the full version?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

Just a stupid question, since Steam has me confused: As a beta tester, do I have to buy the game again?

I'm asking because Steam simultaneously tells me that I already have the game and that I can buy it. Is the game I have a beta version which won't get any further updates, or is the version I have already the full version?

If you bought it it should be the full version, try disabling the experimental build if you have it enabled.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

If you bought it it should be the full version, try disabling the experimental build if you have it enabled.

No I haven't bought it, I thought it would be better to ask first and spend money later, instead of the other way around. Having the beta build with the same name as the full version just got my hopes up...

Also I have no idea how you disable or enable things on Steam, in my experience they just install and then work.

(The other beta I was in years ago made this easier by labeling the experimental build clearly with "Beta" in it's name, the full game just made a second install next to it. That beta version is still there, by the way. :v: )

Edit:

Something else I just remembered, how can you add custom portraits to the game? Since there are mods adding them in, I guess there is a way, but I'm sadly too dumb to find out how myself.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 3, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It's pretty simple. You just toss a PNG into the data/images/empires/portraits folder. The game loads all the PNGs in that folder automatically.

If you got a key which activated a copy on Steam it's a full version of the game and you should have the release version already if you were set to automatically update the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Firgof posted:

It's pretty simple. You just toss a PNG into the data/images/empires/portraits folder. The game loads all the PNGs in that folder automatically.

If you got a key which activated a copy on Steam it's a full version of the game and you should have the release version already if you were set to automatically update the game.

Thanks, that's astonishingly easy after the torture of Distant Worlds (which demands a degree in Distant Worlds Programming if you want to add some custom portraits).

Concerning the key stuff, I looked it up: I did get a key at some point and I did activate it, but my game version is still hanging at the pre-release date from 23rd March for some reason. Was the 27th just a date and nothing got actually changed with the official release?

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

Was the 27th just a date and nothing got actually changed with the official release?

Yep. We put the patch out before the 27th so that if there were bugs they'd get reported and fixed before launch. There weren't any major discovered bugs in that time frame however.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Firgof posted:

Yep. We put the patch out before the 27th so that if there were bugs they'd get reported and fixed before launch. There weren't any major discovered bugs in that time frame however.

Great, so everything is fine and I was just a big dummy. :v:

But I still have some questions: I tried a custom race with sinew and I keep wondering about some of the standard designs. One is just a lump of rocket engines, torpedo launchers and sinew, for example. No storage, no energy supply. (I guess the sinew is the control in this case.)

How would that ship work? Would it need supply ships to do anything? What if I design a ship without storage and reactors, would that work, too?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Protip: 2,000 size 1 supports with a small railgun and a ton of engines makes for an amazing cavalry support.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Lib: It'd work fine, yes, as long as none of its subsystems need Power. Without supply, ships fire at 25% of their normal output. With no supply, they're considered to always be at 25%.

Some players have turned that into just a design consideration, launching torps without supply onboard or oversizing the weapons platforms to compensate and have a consistent, constant, damage output.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I look at that as min/maxing and I despise min/maxing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I look at that as min/maxing and I despise min/maxing

I think if you're building a fleet around the fact it will fight at 25% efficiency, you should call it equalizing or something.

But this system gave me a few ideas, I probably spend a few hours on Saturday testing them.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Reminder that the Goon MLG Invitational is in a hour. Password as standard for goon games.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Conot posted:

Reminder that the Goon MLG Invitational is in a hour. Password as standard for goon games.

Wasn't that Sunday? Or is this a different game?

Either way, can't make it tonight, sorry.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Bremen posted:

Wasn't that Sunday? Or is this a different game?

Either way, can't make it tonight, sorry.

I was kinda worried this would happen, hence why I linked http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=5,0,2634853&h=5&date=2015-4-4&sln=20-21 when announcing. It IS Sunday if you're in the UK/EU, but for NA people its still in their Saturday. Shame to miss you.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
This looks pretty interesting, how does the single player hold up? Does each game force you to adapt your strategy or does it devolve to a do A->B->C->Win?

On MP side, did you get a game going and if so, how did it go?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Zernach posted:

This looks pretty interesting, how does the single player hold up? Does each game force you to adapt your strategy or does it devolve to a do A->B->C->Win?

On MP side, did you get a game going and if so, how did it go?

In terms of single player, its fun, with various difficulty settings for the AI. Due to the fragility of economy chains, and the length of time involved in creating new fleets, if you're not keeping up (or the AI isn't keeping up) in terms of increasing fleet strength, its quite possible to steam roll into a enemy with their economy never recovering

In terms of multiplayer, I've had no success so far, either due to poor timing or just general lack of interest :(

e: I mean, this is why ideally your economy has surplus planets to its requirement, so you're not broken by a single lost planet, but all chains have a weakness somewhere.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like the mod where I can choose different weapon colors. That was actually kind of bugging me and in didn't realize it.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Bummer that the MP games haven't worked out yet, have you had anytime on MP games? I'm curious how stable it is.

What the hell, I think I'm going to give this a try. I refuse to believe anything can burn me worse after I made the mistake of preordering SotS2.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zernach posted:

Bummer that the MP games haven't worked out yet, have you had anytime on MP games? I'm curious how stable it is.

What the hell, I think I'm going to give this a try. I refuse to believe anything can burn me worse after I made the mistake of preordering SotS2.

I promise you that this game is worlds better that SotS2 now, let alone on release.

edit: As far as multiplayer, I'll try to idle in the steam group when I can if someone wants to try to get a game together. So far there seems to be enthusiasm for one but the timing just hasn't worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The MP is fantastic. It was fun as hell when I got invited to test amd has only gotten better. I wish I had more free time to do it.

• Locked thread