Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BlondRobin posted:

Question, how micro/detail focused is this? I haven't had a lot of love for the Space 4X Genre, as it were, for a while because it tends to boil down to an extreme level of possible customization. I know a lot of people like this! That's cool! But I'm not a fan, especially when it feels like 'build the mining things on the mining planet. hard decision' as it often does. To give some comparison, I really liked Sword of the Stars (1, of course) because it abstracted a lot of that and made for focus on more interesting elements, rather than the individual structures on each of 20 planets; basically, the game flowed really well. Is this game more about the aforementioned kind of hard-core micro or does it try to keep turns flowing?

EDIT: to clarify, it doesn't have to be AS abstracted as SotS; I also liked Endless Space, at least until it became clear it was a mess in other ways.

Hey BR!

I'd say it's on the macro end of the scale. The resource and trade system means that you'll seldom have more than a handful of key planets no matter how large your empire gets; at the start it'll be your level 1 homeworld, once you have a few systems you might start concentrating on a level 2, by the time you've set up a decent empire you might have a few level 3s, and even a large empire will probably be centered around one or two level 4-5s. Most planets I honestly never even open the planet screen of.

Or just play Star Child races like me and ignore planets completely. The opposite end of the scale would be mechanoid races, who need to build their population but get passive labor generation on all inhabited planets, so tend to spread out their production more than others.

Shadowlz posted:

Hmmm a race's mothership came into my system and started capping a planet. I put 3 fleets on top of it and shot it for half and hour while it sat there. Then my flagships blew up.

The default star child mothership is hilariously tanky, but its weapons wont fire unless they have a friendly planet in the system. So I'm guessing what happened is it finished capping.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Haha drat sorry! I did not mean that bolded part in any way, I meant to say ship designer, I somehow typed that in while I was making this post. I am genuinely interested. I realize that that last post made me look like an rear end in a top hat by accident so I apologize.

**Annnd I just realized you answered that question anyway. And that's a cool way of doing it, thanks!

Don't worry, I think everyone realized it was a typo, it was just too funny not to comment on :p

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zombie #246 posted:

Could you go into more detail how diplomacy works?

The diplomacy system is quite interesting. Your planets generate influence which basically becomes a diplomatic currency, which you use to buy and play cards.

Cards are bought from the card "stack"; every 25ish seconds or so the first card in the stack is removed and a new card is added at the end, then every card moves forward one. The closer a card is to the beginning of the stack the cheaper it is. So you can wait to get a card cheaper, but someone else can buy it first. They mostly cost influence, though there's one, Favors, that costs money and gives you a random card.

The cards are quite varied. Some are just straight up bonuses to your empire; profiteering gives you some immediate money, and cultivation can be played on one of your worlds to give it a free food resource (very nice). Others are diplomatic actions you can attempt; Annex Planet or Annex System try to take someone's planets without starting a war, for instance, or Establish Senate Seat tries to make one of your worlds the location of the meetings, giving you more influence and diplomatic advantages. When these are played it starts a diplomatic "battle" where all players can play cards in support or opposition.

The third type of cards are the ones that are played in the battles. Negotiate cards add straight up support or opposition to a proposal, for instance; there are others. Attach Rider means that if a proposal passes you gain a leverage card against the race that started it; energy clash is like negotiate but costs energy instead of influence to play, Ancient Knowledge adds a whole lot of support or opposition but gives every other race a card, etc. While the proposal either has more support or opposition it starts moving towards passing or failing.

There's also more standard diplomacy stuff; you can offer treaties (I haven't really messed with it, but the AI keeps offering me "share vision" treaties) or declare war without cards, for instance.

Edit: Oh, nearly forgot, there's a fourth kind of cards called Zeitgeist (which I fully admit I had to look up). When one comes up in the stack it starts an automatic diplomatic battle with galaxy wide effects; the race that supports or opposes it the most gets special bonuses. So for example if Zeitgeist: Progress comes up, if it passes it converts all energy generation to research for a few minutes; if it passes and you had the most support, you get a load of free research, and if it fails and you had the most opposition you get a load of free energy. Or something like that.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 28, 2015

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Firgof posted:

Also, we're having some trouble rousing the attention of larger media entities. So if you want Star Ruler 2 covered by your favorite review-site/blog/magazine/Let's Player, make sure to give them a shout/tweet/e-mail/vine/instagram/snail-mail/IM/chat-message/skype v-mail/etc. about how you want them to check the game out. We'll do what we can on our end to keep trying to drum up some interest - but their attention will be much more focused on what you, the folks consuming their media, want them to cover.

Have you tried Rock Paper Shotgun? I've been impressed with their 4x coverage in the past.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kinetica posted:

If I research the same thing twice (as they seem to be in more than one location) do I get the products of both researches? Or is it just a waste of research points to do that

They stack.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gort posted:

OK, so what's a good bunch of stuff to build on your planet(s) when you're starting out? So far I've just about got the hang of how the resource chains work and I've heard you don't want to be building stuff everywhere, but presumably you want some buildings on the planets you're levelling up?

Generally I don't develop my homeworld at all, just use it for colonization. It doesn't have any high level resources, so there's no pressing demand to level it up. Instead I find a level 3 resource planet or something with an open bonus (like FTL crystals) and start focusing on leveling it up instead.

As far as construction, FTL planets are good sites for an FTL storage structure, and if a high level planet has a fairly small surface area or needs more pressure capacity I'll sometimes build a megacity. If you run out of food or water planets those respective structures can work as well.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Conot posted:

The previous Surplus Autocannons game had basically no one show up, which I'm choosing to blame on it being on a Tuesday and also European summertime starting. It was also relatively early in the evening for NA residents. So, new multiplayer game scheduled for Sunday the 5th at 1 AM GMT+1/8 PM EST

I'll be there. I hope others are as well, I'm looking forward to some multiplayer action (or at least multiplayer goofing around).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

winterwerefox posted:

I'm having trouble with sizes of ships. Is size 1 a fighter or a frigate? is size 50 huge for a support ship? I've got no idea. Do ships face the target and rear armor is useless unless running away?

There's no real hard rules for sizes. Size 1 is pretty tiny, though. The default support ships are size 2-8, but there's no reason you can't build bigger ones if you want; I have a design for size 64 supports I've been experimenting with.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Conot posted:

Reminder that the Goon MLG Invitational is in a hour. Password as standard for goon games.

Wasn't that Sunday? Or is this a different game?

Either way, can't make it tonight, sorry.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zernach posted:

Bummer that the MP games haven't worked out yet, have you had anytime on MP games? I'm curious how stable it is.

What the hell, I think I'm going to give this a try. I refuse to believe anything can burn me worse after I made the mistake of preordering SotS2.

I promise you that this game is worlds better that SotS2 now, let alone on release.

edit: As far as multiplayer, I'll try to idle in the steam group when I can if someone wants to try to get a game together. So far there seems to be enthusiasm for one but the timing just hasn't worked out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I actually sent an e-mail to rock paper shotgun, but got no response. I really feel bad for you guys; this is one of the best 4x games (though sadly "best 4x game" isn't a title with as much glory as it once had) I've seen in years, and almost every response I see is outstandingly positive (also, 79% positive steam reviews), but it's not getting much press anywhere, and there's only so much word of mouth and Firgof's tireless efforts can do.

I was a bit cautious about suggesting Totalbiscuit because of his involvement in other controversial stuff, but he might be a good choice. He's done good coverage of strategy games before.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Helion posted:

Holy poo poo, requoting this so any other fence sitters like me can see it.

Game sounds aces, one question to the vets: how different are the races from each other? That's a huge selling point for me in these games.

There's the basic race, and a few races which have playstyle differences compared to the basic race; one race has to build mainframe stations, for instance, and their ships fight better the closer they are to a mainframe station. Another has to build altars on planets to sacrifice resources to get bonuses. I haven't actually played with either, to be fair, but they sound like they play mostly the same but have different styles.

Then there are three races with fairly notable changes. Verdant type races have a completely different way of designing ships, building organic vessels with the unique "Sinew" system as a key element. The Mono don't need food or water (basically turning the normal colonization system on its head) and can teleport population from planet to planet, but have to build pop instead of it growing on its own. The Nylli use giant motherships with population and construction capability, and can never build structures on a planet, sidestepping the normal resource method of pressure, but still need food and water. You basically end up with a bunch of huge ships flying around your empire creating habitats.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DarthJeebus posted:

Which planets should i focus on upgrading? Your homeworld seems like the obvious first choice but is there a reason not to?

I usually leave my homeworld at level 1, actually. It doesn't have any leveled resources, so its only advantage is some innate labor generation. If instead you focus on leveling up a planet with a level 3 resource, or a multi-level resource like FTL crystals, you get those as bonuses in addition to the higher income and pressure cap from being high level.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Firgof posted:

Ships have a universal collision sphere amongst all ship types, adjusted to the size of the ship they contain. What we do is we get the direction of the impact, put that on the hex grid, and select a line which proceeds through the ship on that angle. For as long as damage remains on the impacting bullet/missile/beam the damage will continue on that line until it exits the ship - except in the case of torpedoes who will pick an adjacent line at the same angle and continue until they run out of damage or the ship is entirely destroyed.

Now I'm tempted to try designing a size 1 support ship that's just a 1 hex wide vertical stick, to see if I could get all weapon impacts to destroy 1 hex and then pass through the ship.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

victrix posted:

I'm interested, but I've been so burned by the years of garbage moo clones and devs who don't understand TBS flaws that I'm deeply gunshy.

Gonna watch some vids and stuff :ohdear:

It's a unique game, and not really directly comparable to anything else, but it's definitely not flawed or broken the way that so many 4x releases are these days.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Let me try to think of some criticism.

The weakest point is the research screen but that is getting overhauled soon. It's not broken or unusable, just confusing at first.

The AI gets confused if you play with them on The Expanse map but that's kind of an alternate game mode and in my opinion is more fun to play it solo as a relaxing mode or multiplayer vs your friends than with AI so it's not a major bug in my opinion.

Other than that... uhh... Star Children can't live on ringworlds! More of a minor gameplay niggle, that.

Why would you live on a Ringworld when you can live on a thousand giant ships bristling with huge guns? :colbert: Makes perfect sense to me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Megafunk posted:

I sort of impulsively switched all my railgun designs to use muons after I got them because ~It must be better if I have to research it~. Now i'm not so sure it was a good idea. Would it be better to have the the one large flagship use them or have some of the supports use them?

My enemy's ships don't really use any special armour besides ablative, and they don't bother with shields.

Given how armor works in this game, I would guess muons benefit small ships more.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

KlavoHunter posted:

After watching a friend stream some SR2, I've been convinced to buy it after being less than satisfied with the first one. Finally, no more allegedly-newtonian motion that sent your fleets swinging through entire other star systems while doing their decel/acceleration attack runs!

I'm kind of torn whether or not to say anything here.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Quil18 is a pretty popular youtuber who does a lot of strategy games.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Same. I mean, I can see someone not familiar with the game dismissing it because they make it look poorly coded at first glance, but at the same time they work perfectly for what they do.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I have to turn it on because otherwise I spend 30 minute in the ship designer and things are rather different when I come back to the galaxy tab.

You can manually pause the game and then visit the ship designer. That's what I do.

For things like the diplomacy and research menus I find they work well in real time between directing my empire on the galaxy map.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Cool. That's fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to scuttle and rebuild, especially with the experience system that's been put in.

Just lost my first game vs 5 Hard AI's as the Large Gate race. It took me a while to figure out their strategy, but I think I've got it now. You start with 3 gates, they are all linked as far as I can tell with labor pool, construction queues etc. So in order to keep up you need to build additional gates. Now does each individual gate get better as you build more gates? If so, then that is how they scale, and eventually as long as you have the materials to build additional gates, each gate will be a monster that will soon exceed the capacity of a level 5 planet.

Or am I wrong and that their strategy is to settle a few industrial planets and use those as their primary production engine?

I've only been experimenting with them so far, but I don't think the beacons "clone" resources. Like, yeah, you have 3 beacons, and exporting a 3 labor resource to a beacon causes it to produce 3 labor, but they seem to all share it; if you build a ship at one beacon it seems to be being built at every gate. So you don't get 3x3 labor out of it.

Additionally, you can export defense/energy/research resources to the beacon to buy upgrades, but most of those upgrades seem to be about improving the combat abilities of the beacon. Honestly the upgrades don't look too impressive to me so far, so I mostly play them as a normal empire with the ability to "buy" population. I may be missing something, though.

Edit: The combat upgrades do seem to apply to every beacon, so maybe you can get them to the point of being basically deathstars and then start dropping them on your enemies.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 23, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Firgof posted:

We are presently streaming a multiplayer game with the Expansion for those who want to sit in and watch: https://www.twitch.tv/blindmindstudios

Game completed. We lost by only 76 points! (About the difference in points 1 defense platform would grant)

:smug:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

Playing as the Heralds and I appear to be missing something. How and what do I export via beacon? I'd really like to upgrade my beacons and get more of them.

You just export a planet's resource to the beacon.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Flagships slow down to keep pace with their support ships, so speed is definitely a consideration. Though less so if you make heavy use of ftl for strategic movement.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Fire Storm posted:

Found it because of these posts, thanks! Click planet -> right-click bacon.

What about fleet management? Is there a way to see all your fleets on one screen like there is with planets?

Also, being able to remove/collapse all of the inputs and outputs of planets on the planet tab would be very nice. So would being able to scroll left and right on that tab, as would being able to set up a default/global setting for planets and ships to autobuy support.

On the right side of the galaxy screen is a list of stuff (by default, it's things like planets with exportable resources). If you look under it, there's a button that lets you customize what shows up there; there's options for things like military flagships, civilian flagships, or Planets/Orbitals with labor, which are all godsends for minimizing micromanagement.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I've been having fun with the invasion map type just solo play. It's a fun way to experiment with the big toys that don't come up much in normal games.

I gave hard mode a good run, but in the end my huge fleets of missile bases and muon cannon supports couldn't hold the line. The last wave was a size 50,000 ship with 4k supports, totaling over 300 million strength :x

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'm really sad about how it all turned out. Unfortunately it appears that sometimes, the cream doesn't rise to the top after all. SR2 was one of the best 4x games I've played in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Early on you might wait until your homeworld (or other world you're colonizing from) is at full pop before colonizing another planet. That will help keep you from going too far negative.

Or play a refugee race (Heralds IIRC?). Colonizing has no upkeep for them.

As far as advice, I mainly pick tech based on what I need at the moment. With buildings, I generally only use them late game, but if I'm pinned in without room to expand I'll definitely start using them to grow tall instead of wide.

• Locked thread