Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Congratulations Firgof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here is a long and extremely thorough review of the game..

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So I'm sucking bad! Any ideas?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414910627

Also some questions:

What's the easiest/simplest way to get energy going in the beginning of the game?

At the start of the game, I can't find any victory conditions. How do you win?

When I click on a planet in the Planets box, it doesn't tell me what level the resource is, am I missing something? It's very frustrating.

When I discover new capabilities in research, are my ships automatically upgraded to use the new research or do I need to design new ships?

What does it mean if my first Influence number is in red?

That'll do to start :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks Firgof! You forgot to tell me how to suck less however :colbert:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

More questions!

Why would I want to rally to an asteroid?

What makes the "colonize and auto-import to Level X" message come up instead of just "colonize?"

What do I need to do to get Influence storage?

How can I easily find unused mining ships. I find asteroids I want to mine but I can't figure out how to find unused ships. I can find all mining ships, but I only want idle ones.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

In case the ship you were buying was a Miner.

So how does that work? I'd love to rally a miner that I'm building to an asteroid. Do I click on the building planet and then click on the asteroid?

Thanks much Firgof. I wanted to wait til it was released to really dig in.

Edit, ok I queued up two miners and used two different rallys, but only the first one worked.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 27, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why isn't the system with the red line connected?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415042364

In other words, what would I have to do to make it connected? I don't understand how the planets connect up.

thanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Unfortunately it's pretty bare really. I don't know what Blind Mind plans to do with it, but it needs a lot more information.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I like Das24680 although he can be a little dithery/slow. I actually was a little surprised that he hasn't already done a series. He really likes Distant Worlds.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Here's a Let's Play from Space Game Junkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwkVMXnPVg

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

A bunch of asteroid questions:

Do you need a miner if you have a planet construct a mine on an asteroid?

What exactly does ore do? Should I be building a miner for all the ore asteroids I find?

I've never seen a 'black hole' after 20 hours of play. Is it the same as a worm hole or slip stream?

"Must target object with cargo storage". I don't understand this, I'm trying to mine an asteroid, how can the asteroid have cargo storage?

After I activate an asteroid like Morphic Materials, I get the message "This asteroid is being mined by a planet. Capture the planet to capture this mine" I don't understand what that means, there's no indication of who is mining it or how.

Also I'm still not understanding how the commerce station works

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537393237359407418/FECBC3CF3AC39808CE20057036724D4415AE328A/

Apparently there was no point in building the commerce station where I built it because it still can't import. What do I need to do to be able to import/export that good?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Nope.

Ore is used for Megaconstructions and particular later-game subsystems.

The black hole is like a star - except that it's a black hole. It also has a much bigger bang if you blow it up.

That's probably happening because you're trying to mine an asteroid which does not have Ore. Ore is the only asteroid resource which needs Miners to mine it - all others need Mining Bases built.

The purple line which leads back to the planet shows what planet built the mining base - capturing that planet will capture the mine.

There needs to be a Commerce Station in both disconnected territories for the territories to be able to trade with each other. Put another one in that system you're showing in the center and they'll be able to trade back and forth.

My last game (just started a little while ago) got a black hole, but then the whole galaxy interface screwed up and I couldn't move anything except my heavy carrier into the black hole. I did that and now no heavy carrier. I can't put a Singularity thing on the black hole either, game won't let me. It won't let me do anything on the galaxy map, I'm :argh: now.

I can't put a Commerce station in the other disconnected territory. I get the message it must be within my trading boundaries (or similar message). How do I move my trading boundaries in that picture?

Thanks again Firgof!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Please do toss us that crash if you can reproduce it.

After the crash I mentioned, I tried to load the game again and it refused to load. I then ended it in the task manager, started it again and it was ok. It hadn't done that before this latest update that was released today.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Please toss us that save so we can check out what's going on.

I don't have the save, but if it happens again I'll keep it. I overwrote it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What happened with Tom Chick? Did he ever do a review? Outofeight.info just posted his the other day. Have you tried Total Biscuit?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bremen posted:

I actually sent an e-mail to rock paper shotgun, but got no response. I really feel bad for you guys; this is one of the best 4x games (though sadly "best 4x game" isn't a title with as much glory as it once had) I've seen in years, and almost every response I see is outstandingly positive (also, 79% positive steam reviews), but it's not getting much press anywhere, and there's only so much word of mouth and Firgof's tireless efforts can do.

I was a bit cautious about suggesting Totalbiscuit because of his involvement in other controversial stuff, but he might be a good choice. He's done good coverage of strategy games before.

He has over a million followers, controversy or not :) which is why I suggested him. He did Last Federation which is about as obscure as it gets.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I'm on the rocks about this one, I did try out the first one, but I never got too far/did anything of meaning as it just did not click for me, was hoping to see more reviews/look ats from people, but it really seems you guys really are just getting the ugly stick

It's certainly worthy of review. I like it, not everyone will but it's not like some kind of half baked quick money grab, there's been a lot of care put into this game. It's too bad they can't get more coverage.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What controversy is there surrounding SD2 other than Zero had a huge bitchfit on Something Awful because he didn't like people critiquing his darling StarDrive?

Basically he promised a bunch of poo poo for SD1 that he never delivered on. Also he's just somewhat of an rear end....you know those people who are always yakking even though they shouldn't? That's him. Reminds me of the lead guy for Sword of the Stars, says way more than he ever needs to.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The game would be a lot better if the screen would designate the planets that you own that have labor. A lot better. And yes, the tech screen is a mess.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof have you thought about getting a publisher like Matrix Games or partnering with a company with similar products like Arcen Games (the AI Wars people). It's difficult to do this alone.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There are a lot of lovely games out there. You have a good game that needs more exposure. You have given great support to your games.

If you don't want to do the presentations then at least contact Arcen; it wouldn't surprise me at all if they already knew about you.

Smaller publishers are always looking for developers who can take a project from start to finish and get it into retail. You would not believe how many 'great ideas' people have but cannot execute them.

Also you don't have to do it right now, just when you have some time, even after you shut the studio. I would hate to see such innovation go away forever.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Have you heard back from Tom Chick? He and I had a huge falling out a couple of years ago but I could contact him and ask him what's up with his copy of the game if you wanted me to. I've known him for years except I got really pissed off at him.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

Keep it the way it is- if you want more fiddly bits, mods can cover that, but it's hard to mod that kind of thing OUT in a clean way.

Or play GalCiv, where you can get tons of near meaningless upgrades, one at a time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kaludan posted:

As an initial backer of the alpha of the game, Star Ruler 1, I'm ecstatic to see the game come this far.
That said I wish the original backers didn't have to revert to more back channel means to get their copy. Steam for some reason only let's me download the unfinished and abandoned original version.

What are you, nuts? Geezus how rude. poo poo costs money, how about being happy they made a Star Ruler 2 and being grateful you have an opportunity to support them again.

Entitlement is a bad attitude.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Well that was a rush. We got on Steam's frontpage there for a little while, even if it was just in the "9001+ titles on sale across Steam" box about three page-lengths down.

Never underestimate the power of the Steam frontpage.
I think we might've got a month or two of extra life from this sale so far.

Awesome! So deserving as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Steam sale was okay for visibility - but it'll be the sales of the expansion which'll make or break the studio. Going to have to be one heck of a showing for it to get us back on our feet.

Star Ruler 2 is too gamey for me, so I don't play it anymore. I'm still buying the expansion because your next game might be more to my liking.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

To avoid launching at the same time as Stellaris (or directly after) right? Aye, we're aware of when it launches.

Yep, I vote for before then as well :). Wrestling with it yet again!!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Quill, Arumba, SpaceGameJunkie would be my picks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What day is the release? I thought it was today for some reason.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Two (much better, sorry BMS) streams for SR2 from QuartertoThree's Tom Chick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgd6hJjybHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKhcWGTfLc

I got a far better understanding of the game than I had before after watching all of the first one and an hour of the second.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jBrereton posted:

The game is a little obnoxious about being alt-tabbed out of on Windows 10, had a couple of un-Ctrl-Alt-Deleteable black screens because of it today, you guys got a fix in mind for that?

Yep, had the same thing happen. Had to reboot my computer to get it back. Windows 10 as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

That's really weird. I've been on 10 for about a year now and haven't had any said crashes and I am very often alt-tab'd when I'm playing.

Is there something that either of your systems (Lorini and jBrereton) have in common other than Windows 10?

Odd question....is there another way you can phrase that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Firgof posted:

Sure. What do your two computers have in common with each other that mine lacks?

We're all running Windows 10, we're all playing the game while alt-tab'd out. I'm not, however, experiencing any black-screen crashes.
So why is my rig not crashing while yours are? My first suspicion would be to your hardware and drivers. Do both of you have graphics cards in your computers? If so, what model?
What versions are your drivers at? Do either of you have something that could be interfering with the game like an Anti-virus?

Thanks, that I can answer :).

I have an Nvidia 970 with up to date drivers. I use Nod32 Anti-virus 8.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can that go in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

This is what I said in the Stellaris thread

"I own over two dozen space strategy games. To me there are basically three games (of this century) that stand out as doing something fundamentally different and that's this game, Distant Worlds, and Star Ruler 2. "

Stellaris is much more of a RP/experience generator style game than Star Ruler 2. Right now it's weak on the AI and the UI/automation stuff, which I really miss coming from SR2 and DW. If you find SR2 to be too dry, then Stellaris will be your game down the road I think. But I like mechanics and automation in a game, so SR2 and DW will be my go to games for some time, at least until Stellaris gets to be much more developed.

• Locked thread