Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Currently 5th from the top in /r/games/

Is this helping sales at all? Have any of the youtubers responded? I think we all want this to be a success :(

I bought 2 copies fwiw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I had one of those free beta copies you sent out a long time ago, so I picked up the expansion and another set for later.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

So I'm super excited to start playing now that I have some time for other games (over my factorio addiction after 200 hours in 4 weeks). I had a couple questions, I'll be playing regardless though: Is this the type of game that allows deep empire building? Someone mentioned the average length of games is somewhere around 3-4 hours? That doesn't seem like much time to build up giant stuff but I don't actually know. Is it more fast-paced or can you play it at a slow pace and turtle a little bit while figuring stuff out? Played and loved SR1, and I enjoyed how you could spend a lot of endgame time building bigger and bigger things, and you weren't really forced into any outcome.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I watched this whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKP6s_8-xTU

and it explained ship designs and armor and all of that pretty well.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

So I watched that video and thought I knew what I was doing. But I've just spent 2 hours in the design sandbox and I cant' figure out why the top design (the default one) absolutely destroys the bottom design (one I've created):

I've watch each ship closely and it seems like the systems on my design stay up long enough but in a 80v80 fight my new ship loses with 59 of the default ships till remaining, despite having more health and more DPS.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 2, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah before your post I moved the tube to a hex that allowed it to point forward and now it wins.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I just don't get it sometimes. No matter how I turn the tube, it looks like the missles are coming out the back of the ship and then turning towards the enemy.

For instance, why is this happening:

With this:

And if the tubes are pointed in the wrong direction... I've tried the opposite direction, does the same thing.

This design now beats the default pretty handily, but still, the missles fire out backwards.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

What if you move the missile launcher to the first gap in the front? Or the second?

Same thing

edit: helps a little bit. But why having them on those little winglet things, with nothing in front obstructing them, make them arc out backward.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, I moved them around all over and finally found some spots where it fires with only a slight arc outwards. I've spent 4 hours in the ship designer and haven't even really played the game yet so I think I'm done with this design for now... Heh.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Well show off the final design, or upload it to the community page. I'm always interested in more efficient support ships.

Sure:

That ends up winning a 100v100 with about 85 remaining against the default missile boat at size 10.

For some reason the little wings with no obstruction shoot out backwards, yet this design with the missile right up against some armor and other missile hexes shoots mostly straight.

Cost over the default missile boat is like 10% more $/labor so that's pretty good.

Also I figure the lower speed isn't that big of deal since the missiles range will make up for it but I don't really know about that yet.

This beam design completely obliterates the default, 90 remaining in a 100v100:

Could probably add more armor to it

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 2, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Wait are you not matching the sizes?

Sizes match

This is what I have so far:

Top set, is default carrier vs one I created. 1v1 the right one obviously wins. 1v1 with 10 of each of the same support ships, right wins handily.

Middle set is the default missile boat, right ships win with 85 remaining.

Bottom set is the default beam ship, right ship wins with 90 remaining.

I just uses a test dummy carrier like in that guys video to test the support ships.

Haven't even really gotten to the game yet but the ship designer is pretty fun in itself lol.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 2, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I evened everything out around at around 3.4 so that should work.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I feel like I'm leaving a lot of money per budget cycle on the table. Is that bad? Once I get a couple level 3 planets up it always seems like I have a huge budget and I don't know what to spend it on. I just started playing so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Last stupid question, what's the unit scale on the galaxy map? Are the thick lines 1000 units? I want to see the range of my defense station but I can't really tell.

Nevermind figured it out, it's 500u per thick grid line, or 50u per grid square.

VVV mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Garfu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 3, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Dang this game gets hard. Playing against 3 normal AI and I guess mid-game you can't just up the size on your stuff anymore. I had a 4k Carrier with 250 size support ships and i got poo poo on by a 2k and 1-512 size support ship fleet. I guess my Carrier doesn't scale well.

Also what speeds up getting support ships? I had like 250 labor on my main planet and on 2x it was still so slow to fill up my support. Should I be filling fleets on other planets and not focus labor on one but many?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

This ship has been owning everything:

My eye has opened to non-carrier ships. I thought carriers with lot of support ships were the way to go. But I put out 5 of these guys against 2k+ sized carrier fleets and they rip through everything with barely any damage taken.

I pretty much just rush all of the stuff needed to make them at the start of every game at this point.

edit: search "battlecruiser" and "battlecarrier", this guy makes nice ships.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 4, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Best thing I've ever done in a 4x and one of the coolest things I've done in a video game in general:

Annex Planet vote on hydrocarbons planet deep in enemy territory
Spend all of my influence
Build outposts all the way to planet across the galaxy
Win vote
Build fling beacon
Within seconds fling planet across galaxy to safety

That was amazing. I just literally stole an entire planet from my enemy and not it resides safely near my homeworld.

This game is so good.

I don't think I can play another game without fling beacons.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 5, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I've now flung every tier 3 resource in the entire galaxy back to my territory.

And wait wtf there's a checkbox to allow planet damage? I've just been using Graviton beams

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 5, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Garfu posted:

And wait wtf there's a checkbox to allow planet damage? I've just been using Graviton beams

?????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Might not mean much but I like SR2 wayyyy better than Stellaris.

• Locked thread