Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I am loving this game so far. Biggest concern I have though is the research screen. It is a major improvement over the first games but seems so cluttered and obtuse. Alot of things just seem placed wily nilly and theres no easily viewed way to move forward or start with. I might not be viewing it the right way but it just seems to cluttered to easily understand compared to other games where its easy to build to where you want like endless space or SOTS 1.

Do have to say that the ship design is much better the Star ruler 1 to me. seems a lot simpler to make a ship the way you want and the hex system to build more powerful weapons and system is very unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

USMC_Karl posted:

I've been having way too much fun playing this. After reading up a bit on the different FTL techs, I started up a game with fling beacons to test 'em out. Man, flings are awesome. Way cheap to use and insanely quick, they are perfect for launching fleets into the enemy's space on lightening raids.

My current race is just a modified terrakin with fling beacons but my concept was to beeline straight for liquid armor and gravity engines. Basically, use the gravity engines to build a totally enclosed ship and line the entire thing in a double layer of unbroken liquid armor. Did that buy having only two weapons on it, big giant rail guns, that meet to peak out of the armor in one area. Fill up the 2,000+ support slots with 1 size fighters packing liquid armor and a single spinal mount rail gun and 2 size bombers carrying a single missile launcher. Both fighters and bombers carry ammo internally and are set to raid. It's absolutely amazing watching aroudn 1,500 small ships hare off after enemy fleets while my big rear end cap ship slowly moves in with its 2.00 m2/s acceleration.

For icing on the cake I unlocked planetary thrusters and have been slowly consolidating all of my planets into three, heavily defended systems. My current battle plan is to flash in to an enemy system, capture every planet, build thrusters on each one, and cart them back to my space. My fleets then run interference while the planets slow boat to friendly space. Hilarious.

Really, awesome 4x game!

Fling beacons can fling everything. Build up a station and fling it at the enemy. Or haul in and fling the planets back to save time. It will cost a lot of FTL but is so enjoyable. Specially with a dangerous station just plowing its way in out of nowhere to attack the enemies weak planets and them struggling to kill it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Might be the mods I'm using but the only thing to keep in mind is that stations build slower then a ship will. So using a poo poo load of nuetronium armor will take a while to actually build the fully functional station. So use support stations to speed up the actual build once you buy the station. Do have to agree that making what amounts to a literal brick with enough shields and armor to deflect anything is a great way to screw with anyone AI or player. Humans will learn to avoid your brick but they can serve as hardy observation points then. AI tends to keep sending ships out to kill it, usually I run out of supply at some point if I send it to deep and the ship size is around 400. They are great for an initial attack on an entrenched opponent though, use the stations to soften up the enemy and bring the main fleet in after you know what to expect and how to capitalize on the weakened opponent.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Slipstream has its uses and can be kinda gimmicky. But being able to open an instant gate to any system can open a backdoor on your opponents that they will struggle to block. They also can last a fairly long time if built right and you only need one ship for it in a fleet unlike hyperspace subsystems which need one on every capital ship.

Fling beacons are special. You need a dedicated structure and you have a one way fling. Fling beacons are typically faster then hyperdrives and can be useful if you need to get somewhere fast. But if you have enough ftl crystals anything not tied down ie a star can be flung. Ships, planets, spacestations, anything. Fling a station with enough armor and weapons and you can create a very hard to breakdown beachhead against an opponent. Or just use it to fling a whole fleet into their unprotected core systems and rain hell on them. If you can think of it, it can probably be flung.

Gates are pretty self explanatory. Just need enough ftl to keep a network up.

• Locked thread