Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Firgof posted:

Scratch that potential polygon interview/look/piece. They've decided they don't have time to report on it.

Help us, The Escapist and SomethingAwful, you're our only hope (for coverage by any popular media source)!

Have you contacted Jade Star? If he's being rude that is probably a good sign.

Might be irrelevant, but the OP mentions the steam store page yet doesn't include a link to it?

Are museums on 3x3 ice supposed to cost only labor? Mono players rejoice.

Star Children... okay so 'protect system' means an enemy fleet can't destroy all my habitats, right? Nope! Skipdrive-selfdestruct is extremely inefficient but hilarious and unstoppable.

...how long has it been possible to drag/drop planets in basically any screen, to set/change exports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vodos posted:

I really enjoy playing this but I've run into a problem, dunno if it's a bug or me doing something wrong. None of the tier 3 resources I have apply any pressure, but their secondary bonuses do work.

I'm getting the capacity increase but no pressure, from any of the t3 resources I have. Tried other planets too, they just sit there at 0/16. I also don't understand why none of the civilian industry buildings are upgrading, they do on another labor world I have but not on this one.

Mono? Found the problem: you need more population (on the producing/exporting planet) in order to generate pressure. 8 population is the minimum required for a T3 resource but you need 16pop to get full pressure (and money/income)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

By the by, I love the concept of The Expanse galaxy. With a little tweaking of the game options it can actually be pretty difficult too, the big one is Remnant Aggression. Being the only empire means the pirates always come after you too, so it's not without conflict, you're just not racing vs other empires.

If competing with empires isn't your thing or you just aren't in the mood, I highly recommend trying that map.

If you do feel like competing and set a universe with multiple copies of The Expanse, it should be noted that the AI really doesn't really know how to handle it. Also there seems to be a minor bug that makes the remnant-homeworld fleets from galaxies 2 through N all generate in the first(?) galaxy, so one empire will have extra difficulty taking that system.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Recent patch made terraforming significantly more expensive, but when I tried out the "Frugal" personality trait (reduces the Tier-1 resources to level up planets to Lv3+) I noticed an oddity that occurs when shuffling T-1 exports... Reported as a bug (if it is indeed a bug and gets fixed) but here is a way to have fun with it while it lasts...

Step -1: go insane (general prerequisite for most silentsnack activities)

Step 0: start a game and play for a couple of hours

Step 1: export stuff

Step 2: stop exporting and notice how the planet fails to level-down

Step 3: experiment with the glitch to figure out what is happening, then abuse the hell out of it

See all those level 2 and 3 planets with no imports?

Step 4: laugh as a bunch of AIs set to "Murderous" difficulty start surrendering before the terrifying impossible economy.

Didn't build a single warship that game, just defense platforms and outposts.

The game did freeze a few times when I accidentally clicked "colonize and auto-import" but Mechanoids are weird with auto-imports anyway since T1 planets often jump to Lv2 using their own resource which then doesn't show up as available to export.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

KlavoHunter posted:

Trip report, SR2 is pretty good.

I think I like Fling Beacons as the best FTL method. No faffing about with sticking a Hyperdrive in your designs and wasting space.

What do you guys like putting on your really big flagships, specifically in that painful lull before you get the Titan Hull (and Antimatter Generator!) research done, but when the AI insists on flying around bigger and bigger flagships despite now uneconomic they are?

If I'm using fling FTL then I usually build a stack of "station" hulls; just bolt on some lasers/etc and a buttload of armor to make indestructible low-maintenance bricks, then fling them around wherever needed.

KlavoHunter posted:

What do you guys like putting on your really big flagships, specifically in that painful lull before you get the Titan Hull (and Antimatter Generator!) research done, but when the AI insists on flying around bigger and bigger flagships despite now uneconomic they are?

Right now I'm leaning towards a big missile launcher to blap the other flagship with hits worth thousands of points, but the Reactive Armor and stuff that some ships use makes me think a more balanced approach is necessary...

I once had some success with a ludicrous intergalactic torpedo boat that could one-shot almost any fleet the AIs threw at me, but the weapon took so long to reload that it was just faster to scrap it and build a new one... Not a very economical but it was amusing enough.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

All of the youtube videos seem to start with "I barely have any idea what I'm doing after a couple of hours of playtime, haven't even touched Research but Diplomacy and Design look interesting; now watch me fumble with colonization/economy for half an hour while reading off notes I copied from the wiki" is unfortunately rather telling.

I'm guessing BMS considered at some point the amount of work it would take to make a slightly dumbed-down version that could be Baby's First Strategy Game because the somewhat overwhelming number of innovative features might have something to do with the lack of media coverage, which is probably hurting sales significantly... but how much more work would it take to split it into beginner/expert interface? Too much to be profitable? Enough to require a kickstarter and re-release?

Breaking new ground is cool and we'll probably be seeing some of these mechanics copied by other 4X games in the next few years (the Influence/cards system would lend itself well to a Crusader Kings Space Opera 'grand strategy' system, for example) but it would suck if doing too many new things at once is what kills the chances of SR3 ever coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

(e: unless I'm completely wrong and/or misremembering how damage works)

It could probably benefit from having at least 3 single-tile command sections scattered far apart but still buried in at least a bit of armor and gun/engine/etc for buffer, so it can absorb more damage from any given angle before dying even if its gun(s)get disabled and the other bridge(s) gets destroyed. That helps it keep the rest of the fleet alive longer in an engagement since it provides one more target and a significantly tougher target, plus it can repair back to full as long as it survives with at least one crewmember alive to patch up the burning wreck.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 30, 2016

• Locked thread