Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Star Ruler 2 is an awesome game that everyone should buy because it's fun and good and polished.

However - come on Firgof, is Energy Clash still the same icon as Negotiate and Ancient Knowledge? I was sort of hoping there'd be an art overhaul for the diplomacy cards, like there was for subsystems and race art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Conot posted:

Wait, you can do that with fling beacons? Launch stations? Jesus christ, I never even thought of that.

You can also move planets through gates, and they'll move everything in orbit around them with them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

And there's also a Zeitgeist that gives research. And I think the Research Center Diplomacy Card does too?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Whatever you don't use is spent on Welfare/Research Grants/etc. - depending on what you've set it to. There's often situations where it's best not to spend your money to get access to a global resource you might be lacking the planets for.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Firgof posted:

So at current projections, we'll have enough money to make our planned expansion - and then we'll have to close down the studio as it'll just be too risky to pursue another project. That projection lands us some time in October-December we think. So though I keep banging the drum for it - if you like the game, let folks know: write some reviews on Steam/GOG/GamersGate, shoot e-mails to your favorite news sources and let's players!

Show folks there is room in the 4x corner for a game that dares to break away from the MoO/Civ formula.

In upcoming stuffs for the game: We're hoping to launch an expansion and a free DLC later this year even if the game continues its current sales trend.

Don't get discouraged, you made an awesome game. Especially the diplomacy system is amazing. I can't think of another game (okay I can think of one, but I'd rather not since it's MoO3) where I can have a proper diplomatic war that doesn't involve any actual fighting. I've got a save where I've got a completely war-less battle for supremacy in the galaxy where everyone's just trying to annex planets and grab as much diplomatic power as possible. I'm sure there'll be war eventually, but by the time it rolls out the winner will have been determined already with diplomacy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

How much diplomacy you do should really depend on what kind of planets you get nearby. If you get mostly money planets you're set for massive fleets. If you get tons of influence you better be prepared to play the diplomacy market. There is very little input and output for cash in diplomacy. Although Energy is incredibly powerful in diplomacy too - if you can snag some energy clash cards and you generate a lot of power you can straight up dominate any vote.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah that is going to be much more useable even if none of the mechanics of how research works changes - that visual overhaul alone should make most of the complaints go away.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Native extra pressure is nice to have, the scaling resources are obvious level 4/5 candidates too. Then you can also go by number of tiles (that'll matter in the extreme end game where you have the money to put down enough imperial buildings to consume all slots) or planets that have lots of Ore Asteroids nearby (another late game thing - although you can ignore it if you just drag the ore asteroids to the destination planet with tractor beams).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Firgof posted:

A super secret sneak peak at the upcoming expansion.

You know I never figured it out - does the color/corner art of the diplomacy art mean something? Is there a reason annex planet and investigate are purple and have a checkmark while profiteering is yellow and has a lightning bolt?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Firgof posted:

Here's hoping it sells well enough that there is a 'next game'.

If there isn't I'll be trying to get my foot in the door at Gearbox, I imagine, as the studio will dissolve.

Well if don't you make it (and I hope you do get enough money to continue), you can at least say that you made one of the few genuinely original 4x games in decades. There's maybe 1 other 4x that isn't a Moo or GalCiv clone? And none of them have your awesome diplomacy system or the Kohan style combat that really needs to be in more games.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 6, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Firgof posted:

Yes. Just don't give your fleets a change of movement orders if they're going long distances once they're significantly underway. We also have directional thrust this time around - which means a ship can't start thrusting until it turns to face its target vector - which means it can hilariously overshoot stuff if you give it an order when it's already got a lot of momentum built up.

Also note: Fleet cohesion does loose a little bit of its stern-ness if you go full 10x speed. It's nowhere near the same magnitude of problem it was in SR1 however.

And you can FTL to cancel your momentum if you need to stop in a hurry. If I remember it right I used to use skip drives for basically jumping on the spot for minimal energy cost as a hard stop.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Space Dragons?!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I don't know, sending one to Joe seems like a gamble. If he likes it you're getting lots of extra sales but if he doesn't bother getting into it you could potentially eat a lot of bad word of mouth because people following youtubers with "fake" personalities like Joe tend not to realize that they shouldn't take everything they say 100% seriously (see that PewdiePie fiasco a while ago). But then even bad PR might be better than no PR?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

For what it's worth I really like the browser tab functionality and looks. They're browser tabs, you immediately know how they work and they let you do some cool stuff traditional 4x interfaces don't (multiple tabs of the same "type" looking at different things simultaneously or changing the layout of your UI on the fly).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah I have it turned off, because it's much more efficient to just learn to use the natural downtime to do different non-galaxy map things. While you're waiting for the budget cycle to tick over, have a look at the research tree, while waiting for a colony to get established and grow, design some parts of a ship.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

A Horde mode for a 4x is a brilliant idea (and logical evolution of MoO2s Antarans) and I can't wait to play it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

GGLucas posted:

Outpost and Protect System have no effect on the takeovers from an influence victory.

You can totally firewall off your empire by surrounding it with supernovas though. Though all they'd need to do would be to move a planet into one of the now empty systems ;)

There's a resource that protects against defections right (drugs?). Can I drug my empire into total loyalty in the face of superior culture?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Am I wrong or are your planet textures now reflective of the actual tiles on them? Including development which adds more lights on the dark side?

Yup that's hidden in the patch notes. It's pretty drat cool.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You need to design a mining ship. There is no default design for one (there really should be, they're kind of important to get as early as possible).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Rhjamiz posted:

Are you sure? I'd swear there was one, called the Mining Tug or something similar? I know I never designed any but there was one available.

I played Heralds right after release of the expansion and all I had civilian wise was a Scout and a Tractor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Vodos posted:

Build a tractor and just haul the ore asteroids right next to the planet the ore is for! You can also use it to steal from the AI, you an grab artifacts from their territory or even abduct their mined resouce asteroids. Tractors are awesome and you don't need your miners to move very far if you use them.

Yeah this - if your ore-asteroid is in an orbit around your planet it doesn't matter how bad the engines on your mining ships is. And if it's not in orbit around your planet - why isn't it? You start with tractors buddy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Does the AI realize when you commit grand theft asteroid and tractor some of their asteroids out of their regions and into yours (hey I needed that explosives mining base more than they did ok)? It seems like it does but the declaration of war I just got could be a coincidence.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Gammymajams posted:

Can I ask a dumb ship design question? When shots hit armor, this nullifies or reduces damage on components behind it right?

So given your ships are going to be facing the enemy isn't it way more beneficial to have almost all your armour on the front? I understand it adds generic "health" too but doesn't this reduce the damage to critical systems the most?

Since most engines only fire in one direction, your ships probably aren't going to face the direction fire is coming from all the time when they're dodging though. Front armor is good, but you'll take damage from other directions (especially at the start of the fight when your ships are turned around to slow down).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Speaking of Supports, please either make the global reserve bigger or give us the option of putting it on auto-cast (on planets and/or systems). It fills up incredibly quickly and it's wasted if you don't constantly empty it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I haven't played a space 4x since goddamn GalCiv2, and this really make me want to get SR2.

So I guess my obvious dumb question is... how does this compare to GalCiv2? I played a ton of that game but eventually just got burned out on it, and GalCiv3 by all accounts is just a step backwards or sideways from that.

SR2 has ship design that actually has a gameplay impact, and a combat system that isn't 3-color rock paper scissors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: 3- how is the combat? I love 4X games but Ive always been more of a turn-based guy. I can manage real time when it doenst requires fast thinking, like in paradox games, but I dont have patience/skill for frantic classic RTS like starcraft or whatnot

Its Kohan or Axis and Allies style combat, but without locking the armies into fights if you've played those. Basically no micro at all.

• Locked thread