Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

:siren: Expansion release date announced! Launches April 22nd on Steam and GOG. More information here: http://starruler2.com/2016/04/11/heralds.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OFhVtqfDBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIwA8Xw_NA4

Nab it on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/282590
Swipe it on GOG: http://www.gog.com/game/star_ruler_2

Star Ruler 2 is a pausable 4X/RTS Hybrid developed by Blind Mind Studios (I'm one of the 2 BMS developers!). It's set in an original sci-fi setting at near-future tech levels - though it ends with the construction of entirely theoretical constructs such as Ringworlds.

You play as one of seven unique races [or a product of your own terrifying goon intellect] each with their own morph on the base gameplay (minus the 'vanilla' Terrakin). The first four non-terrakin races are minor morphs to the gameplay and the last two alter or even entirely subvert core concepts of the game. That's before we get into what FTL method your race uses (there are four, each have their perks and work entirely different from the others) and what Government your race adheres to. Your job is to survive, expand, and ultimately persist in the galaxy. Whether you wind up conquering the stars with thousands of ships hurled into the void with potent, star-crushing, weaponry - or diplomatically annexing and subjugating those who could or would stand against you - is up to you as their leader.

Star Ruler 2 runs on the Starflare Engine, a from-scratch in-house engine we built specifically for Star Ruler 2, and is releasing on PC and Linux. It has really minimal hardware requirements, which you can check out here on the Steam store page if you like but - brass tacks - if you've got a rig that's post-2009 you should be just fine.

Our goal was to create a 4X which tries to actually solve a lot of the problems we've had while playing other 4Xes, such as nobody having figured out a good way to do a diplomacy system that isn't Civilization's. Meanwhile, we wanted to revisit and improve all the ideas of Star Ruler 1 like making your planets something you care about and making the economy not mind-numbing. As a result, between the innovations and the improvements, we believe SR2 is a far superior title to the first one - despite offering a different gameplay experience.

Blind Mind Studios:
James Woodall (Firgof) - Too many responsibilities to list shortly.
Andrew Ackermann (ThyReaper) - Programmer [Doesn't have a SA forum account]

Glacicle:
Lucas de Vries (GGLucas) - Programmer

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

(Sorted by difficulty/subversion versus normal gameplay)

Beginner/Default (Recommended for those who are new to Star Ruler 2)

Advanced (Recommended for advanced players who understand the basics of the game and are ready to absorb new strategies)

Expert (Recommended for players who have mastered the core mechanics of the game and wish to learn new ones)

Reviews
"[...] a clear go-to for those who've been looking for a breath of fresh air in the strategy genre" - Twinfinite

"It will break a strategy gamer out of their long-held beliefs about the genre, and maybe just have enough mysteries to make a neophyte interested in doing something new [...] Space strategy fans would be doing themselves a disservice by not playing this unique diamond in the rough." -The Escapist

"Star Ruler 2 brings a number of fresh and enjoyable mechanics to the RTS/4X genre [...] (can't) wait to sink many more hours into this game. [...] Just buy it." - Explorminate

Firgof fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 16, 2016

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks, y'all. Sorry for the second post being skeletal at the moment. I'm filling it out as quick as I can while trying to keep up with all the stuff going around on the 'net about the game.

Also, newcomers: Feel free to ask questions, make comments/suggestions, and whatnot. I'm not here just for show - I'm here to be at your disposal.

quote:

Firgof tell me what makes your game different from the legion of "spiritual successor to MOO2" titles that clutter gamer's Steam libraries like E.T. in a New Mexico landfill. This is the kind of info we discerning gamers want and need tia I look forward to your response.

Well, without going into long-winded details I guess what makes us most different is - we're not a spiritual successor to MoO 2. I'm not sure you could say we're a spiritual successor to anything really - except maybe Star Ruler 1. From the economy to diplomacy, it's a very different game than the Civ/MoO model that's been reproduced and refined over the years. We've got Ceaser 2 as inspiration for our economy, board games as inspiration for our diplomacy, FFX/PoE as inspiration for our Research, and Space Empires IV as inspiration for our ship design. Going in expecting Star Ruler 2 to behave much at all like MoO 2 I think would be setting your expectations up to be dashed.

I dislike marketing junk like 'a new breed of 4X' but that's kind of what this game represents. We really did build it wholecloth from scratch and ignored a lot of the conventions the genre so far has stated are 'mandatory' - going with our gut into unventured territory instead. So if you're looking for something new then Star Ruler 2 is where it's at.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

bonds0097 posted:

It'd be nice to see a rundown of how the game differs from SR1. Though just from looking at the store page, this seems like quite an evolutionary leap from SR1 rather than just an incremental iteration, so perhaps that wouldn't be super useful.

A lot. It'd probably in fact be faster to run down all the ways its similar than all the ways its different. We held nothing sacred when we started up the development of SR2 - but kept in mind all the failures and problems SR1 had. It's the same idea/thrust as Star Ruler 1 but executed in an entirely different fashion. And it's built to be much more balanced than its predecessor.

There's no guarantee you'll like SR2 if you liked SR1 - but if you liked how we innovated with ship design in SR1 there's even more innovation in SR2. It's definitely not as mechanically complex in ship design - your ships won't be blowing up because they ran out of fuel 0.2 seconds after they left the dock, causing the power generators to fail, causing the bridges to go offline, causing the ship to go offline, causing space to damage the ship, and thus causing the ship to explode. This time it's more about strategy than tinkering around (though of course there's still tinkering around). Your ships won't be able to store ships that store ships that are missiles which shoot other ships - but you will be able to understand what the hell is going on when combat breaks out.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 27, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

DatonKallandor posted:

Star Ruler 2 is an awesome game that everyone should buy because it's fun and good and polished.

However - come on Firgof, is Energy Clash still the same icon as Negotiate and Ancient Knowledge? I was sort of hoping there'd be an art overhaul for the diplomacy cards, like there was for subsystems and race art.

It is, yeah. I'm intending on overhauling the diplomacy cards post-launch. Just didn't have enough time to get that done pre-launch. There's a bunch of things that I think could benefit from a little more elbow grease art-wise and I intend to layer it on.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

What's the easiest/simplest way to get energy going in the beginning of the game?
Either dump money into Energy welfare or into Research and try to get an Ionization (there's one two hops to the north of the starting Science nodes)

Also if the Zeitgeist: Power occurs, voting that in and being the biggest supporter will get you a lot of energy generation.

quote:

At the start of the game, I can't find any victory conditions. How do you win?
Either by exterminating all other races - or by subjugating them into becoming your Vassals. (Empires which surrender do not lose the game - they become Vassals of their Master, unable to form new treaties or have an independent war/ally relationship - they inherit their master's enemies and allies. Masters gain 20% of their points and can issue Edicts which reward Vassals who conquer the empire that the Master specifies with money (which doesn't come from the Master). Vassals also can't declare war against their master and Masters can't declare war against their Vassals. If your Master becomes subjugated, you share their fate. If your Master is killed - your Empire dies with them.)

How you accomplish this is left entirely to the player but by default there are a few things which can majorly shift the balance of power - these are listed presently as 'Victory options', such as assembling the Revenant - which is an incredibly powerful ship; but it is only a ship and must be wielded properly for it to win you the game.

quote:

When I click on a planet in the Planets box, it doesn't tell me what level the resource is, am I missing something? It's very frustrating.
There should be an icon on the resource itself. If it says 'I' then it's a Level One resource. 'II' means a L2. 'III': 3. And so on. Resources without any level requirement have no icon and can be produced on any level world - though the maximum pressure of that world may prevent efficient (or any) utilization of the resource on its own.

quote:

When I discover new capabilities in research, are my ships automatically upgraded to use the new research or do I need to design new ships?
Any % upgrades are applied automatically to ships in friendly space. New things such as a Graviton Condensor or the Bulkhead modifier do need to be placed on the design - and then ships using that design must be retrofitted at planets which have labor [and/or a shipyard].

quote:

What does it mean if my first Influence number is in red?
It means your Influence points have gone over your maximum. The further over your maximum you go, the less influence generation per second you will receive.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Thanks Firgof! You forgot to tell me how to suck less however :colbert:

Ah, well that part's easy: Practice and experimentation. Also, if you can't beat them - join them.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kris xK posted:

Oh, this out now?

The original was great, looking forward to trying this over the weekend.

Yep. Launched at about 12:30 PM CST today!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Still the case!

In the last week we've discussed:
* how FTL in SR2 should be a time machine, but isn't because the FTL crystals enforce causality or something (we dunno how! It just does!)
* the damage capacity of a 130g antimatter detonation in space
* how pressure capacitance actually works (it's about as mathy/logicy as the stuff above)
* the specific formulae for income via population and level

And everyone's favorite: How to defeat Alarcarr/Jurasic Park's beam sniper ships.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 29, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Why would I want to rally to an asteroid?
In case the ship you were buying was a Miner.

Lorini posted:

What makes the "colonize and auto-import to Level X" message come up instead of just "colonize?"
If the resource on the world you're colonizing is a leveled resource.

Lorini posted:

What do I need to do to get Influence storage?
Simply: Gain more influence generation.

Lorini posted:

How can I easily find unused mining ships. I find asteroids I want to mine but I can't figure out how to find unused ships. I can find all mining ships, but I only want idle ones.
Click the [...] button on the sidebar and check the 'Civilian Flagships' option. The ones you select that don't have any green lines and aren't by an asteroid are ones that aren't doing anything presently.

quote:

I have a question about your poo poo designer.
Yeah well I have a question about YOUR poo poo designer! :downswords: (Sorry, I'm one of those people that has to do that sort of thing.)

It's actually the inverse - the ship model tries to approximate itself to the shape of the design you've made. You can also manually select which model you'd like it to use by clicking the model selector button in the little sub-topbar in the design editor (I think it's the one that has the icon for a flagship). We don't have an enormous amount of models, of course, and some of the shipsets have 'preferred shapes' just due to how the models were made but nonetheless it does try.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
If you're on an ATI card then you'll want to update your drivers. If not, are you on an intel card?

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 28, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
No problem. Hope you enjoy it!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Edit: Ninja'd. ^

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

BlondRobin posted:

Question, how micro/detail focused is this [...]

Shot you a little present via PM. I think you'll like it from what you're writing here. :)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
They're crazy expensive. It's unlikely that you'll be able to source the money to build them.

But the engine doesn't stop you from building them - only your access to resources. If you want to convert the whole galaxy into money resources after you conquer it to build an enormous ship whose construction is furnished through the combined output of hundreds of worlds artificial and natural and created through energy and expendable construction materials - you can do so. The Revenant, which is "only the size of a small star" is itself very difficult to replicate in the base game in all but the largest of galaxies.

So yes, you can make them but it is much, much harder to do so. In SR1 it was a project of patience. In SR2 it is an epic project which requires a similarly epic journey to obtain.

Of course if you just want to go hog-wild, the Design Sandbox is more than willing to accommodate even the most insane of requests. (Well until you make a ship so big that it can't even fit in the sandbox but hey - everything's got an upper practical limit)

... or you can just use the command console and cheat it into existence. :lol:

Firgof fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 28, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Unfortunately it's pretty bare really. I don't know what Blind Mind plans to do with it, but it needs a lot more information.

Update it! We just haven't gotten around to it yet.

quote:

but are there any automation/templating systems for Ship/Planet design and that like?
Yep. You can use the templates provided with the game or you can just mash the 'generate random design' button until you get something about like what you'd want.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The AI seems to play the resource game and cheat very little. I've watched one go into debt repeatedly while trying to kill one stupidly defended system.

Yep. That's because the AI doesn't get any advantages or special considerations on not-Savage difficulty. It has to scout, think about its resources, order exports/imports, build buildings, et cetera. We wanted it to be for all intents and purposes playing the exact same game the player was.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Thanks much, VikingSkull. I hope you enjoy what we're planning for the game as well.

Also, we're having some trouble rousing the attention of larger media entities. So if you want Star Ruler 2 covered by your favorite review-site/blog/magazine/Let's Player, make sure to give them a shout/tweet/e-mail/vine/instagram/snail-mail/IM/chat-message/skype v-mail/etc. about how you want them to check the game out. We'll do what we can on our end to keep trying to drum up some interest - but their attention will be much more focused on what you, the folks consuming their media, want them to cover.

quote:

Biggest concern I have though is the research screen.
Mine too, presently. It needs a little Tender Loving Care - and a lot of elbow grease. I'll be taking a look at it as soon as I can.

Also, mentioned this in the last thread: If y'all have anyone in mind who you'd think would enjoy covering the game and who you like watching/reading, please let us know and I'll see about extending a hand and a key to the game to them. Thanks everyone for your continued support - today we broke 360 simultaneous players which is close to half of SR1's all-time high (set during the time it was included in a space-themed bundle on Steam I believe).

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 29, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Y'all should organize a MP goongroup so I can link to it in the OP!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Yep. A few times, actually. One e-mail each to multiple writers, one in July I think, one back in November, one more recently. Seems they're just not interested in it. That, or my e-mails kept getting lost in their inboxes.

I bet they would be if folks started asking them to cover it though.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 30, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Conot posted:

Since no one else seemed to be stepping on it, heres a lovely group I made!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SR2LLJK

Got a game set up for Tuesday at (I believe) 11 PM GMT/ 6 PM EST

Its not gonna have sign ups or anything, it'll be first come first serve on the day and probably be 6 people, depending on host tolerance.

Put it under the community tab and copied over the info. Thanks for setting it up!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kinetica posted:

So when I capture a planet and build a resupply station I can't capture any more planets in that system; it says that capturing that planet is forbidden by a decree or outpost. Is this a bug or intended? It took me a while to figure out why the heck I couldnt capture the rest of that system's planets.

This game owns. Only issue I have is really the research screen, but the previous posts pretty much covered the issues I had with it.

What likely happened is that either the AI/Empire you were assaulting used the 'Protect System' card on the system you were assaulting, making it impossible to siege for a number of minutes - or they built an outpost in the system which you must destroy first. OR they exported Psionic Reagants to that system and their effect came into play.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kinetica posted:

If I research the same thing twice (as they seem to be in more than one location) do I get the products of both researches? Or is it just a waste of research points to do that

As Bremen notes, the % bonuses and such all stack. Stuff like subsystem unlocks are, when unlocked in one place, unlocked in all locations.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Heads up: SR2: Surplus Autocannon's (the SA SR2 goon-munity) first community game is in approximately 2 hours. (5:00 PM CST)

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Good idea. Updated the OP with those.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

Here's a Let's Play from Space Game Junkie

(video)

Added to the OP.

Also, we're on GOG now!

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 1, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Nope.

Ore is used for Megaconstructions and particular later-game subsystems.

The black hole is like a star - except that it's a black hole. It also has a much bigger bang if you blow it up.

That's probably happening because you're trying to mine an asteroid which does not have Ore. Ore is the only asteroid resource which needs Miners to mine it - all others need Mining Bases built.

The purple line which leads back to the planet shows what planet built the mining base - capturing that planet will capture the mine.

There needs to be a Commerce Station in both disconnected territories for the territories to be able to trade with each other. Put another one in that system you're showing in the center and they'll be able to trade back and forth.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 1, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Please do toss us that crash if you can reproduce it.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
So that building minimum-scale ships which are nothing but Supplies (because Supplies are all that's necessary to capture a planet) is an investment.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

After the crash I mentioned, I tried to load the game again and it refused to load. I then ended it in the task manager, started it again and it was ok. It hadn't done that before this latest update that was released today.

Please toss us that save so we can check out what's going on.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Episode 2 of Grey Hunter's LP is now available; in which GH goes to war against the Feyh - and the Nylli - and the [...].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2tf2DAZwc

Firgof fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
It's pretty simple. You just toss a PNG into the data/images/empires/portraits folder. The game loads all the PNGs in that folder automatically.

If you got a key which activated a copy on Steam it's a full version of the game and you should have the release version already if you were set to automatically update the game.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

quote:

Was the 27th just a date and nothing got actually changed with the official release?

Yep. We put the patch out before the 27th so that if there were bugs they'd get reported and fixed before launch. There weren't any major discovered bugs in that time frame however.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Lib: It'd work fine, yes, as long as none of its subsystems need Power. Without supply, ships fire at 25% of their normal output. With no supply, they're considered to always be at 25%.

Some players have turned that into just a design consideration, launching torps without supply onboard or oversizing the weapons platforms to compensate and have a consistent, constant, damage output.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Next episode of Grey Hunter's LP is now available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwYIO2z0910

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Quill18 has his ways with the game in his Let's Try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49-b3DEKDE

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Scratch that potential polygon interview/look/piece. They've decided they don't have time to report on it.

Help us, The Escapist and SomethingAwful, you're our only hope (for coverage by any popular media source)!

(If you want the game to get coverage on your favorite news-source you're gonna have to petition them to do a piece on the game. I've probably already sent a key to whoever you're thinking about if they're an entity like IGN. Over 50 keys have already been sent out to a whole mess of sites weeks-to-months ago but nobody's talking back. Pretty much everybody's jumping on Pillars and Bloodborne (because they're great and big deals), Starships for the controversy and SD2 for uh... also the controversy. That doesn't leave much room for us without demand from their readerships.)

Firgof fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 10, 2015

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Lorini posted:

What happened with Tom Chick? Did he ever do a review? Outofeight.info just posted his the other day. Have you tried Total Biscuit?

Tried, yes. Got his PR person and they said they'd check it out but I haven't heard anything since.

Nothing yet from Mr. Chick.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

silentsnack posted:

Have you contacted Jade Star? If he's being rude that is probably a good sign.
...how long has it been possible to drag/drop planets in basically any screen, to set/change exports?

Haven't, no.

quote:

Might be irrelevant, but the OP mentions the steam store page yet doesn't include a link to it?
Oops. I'll get that fixed.

quote:

Star Children... okay so 'protect system' means an enemy fleet can't destroy all my habitats, right? Nope! Skipdrive-selfdestruct is extremely inefficient but hilarious and unstoppable.
Yeah it doesn't protect systems whose colonies are exposed to military fire. Protects the planets from being sieged, not the orbitals from being destroyed.

quote:

...how long has it been possible to drag/drop planets in basically any screen, to set/change exports?
Several months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
We specifically wanted sidegrades, though. Straight upgrades means you're forcing the player to redesign their ship any time they get an unlock, and that can get tiring. So rather than giving the player 'Lasers Mk. II, exactly like Lasers Mk. I but with +50% more damage" we just do "+20% damage to all weapons". It's faster, it's easier on the player, and it's less complicated. Also makes sure none of your designs are ever 'irrelevant'. All weapons are more or less useful in particular situations, even the late-game ones.

The only 'straight upgrade' in the tree AFAIK is the Liquid Armor tech - but you need Ore to use it. Antimatter should also probably have some sort of additional drawback, like blowing the ship up as if it were a SDD of equivalent size if it gets significantly damaged.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 13, 2015

• Locked thread