Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Firgof posted:

Thanks, y'all. Sorry for the second post being skeletal at the moment. I'm filling it out as quick as I can while trying to keep up with all the stuff going around on the 'net about the game.

Also, newcomers: Feel free to ask questions, make comments/suggestions, and whatnot. I'm not here just for show - I'm here to be at your disposal.

It'd be nice to see a rundown of how the game differs from SR1. Though just from looking at the store page, this seems like quite an evolutionary leap from SR1 rather than just an incremental iteration, so perhaps that wouldn't be super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Just played through the tutorial and really enjoyed it, a few things that stuck out me that were outside the 4X norm:

- The resource management system is really cool. I like the fact that not every planet can do everything and that you have to carefully balance which planets you upgrade by allocating resources to them and the like.

- On the same note, I really like how easy it is to set up import/export routes (since this is integral to the whole resource management situation) and colonize planets.

- I like the macro-ness of it all.

- The budget system is cool, I like that you only have a certain period of time to spend your budget and that you don't get to hoard infinite money.

- In general the economy is neat, the 'pressure' system is pretty novel (essentially, resources can create pressure on a planet which motivates civilians to build buildings that generate a certain kind of resource like research, money, etc.).

- Ship design is less overwhelming than I thought it would be, so that's cool. I also really like that I can easily download designs from the community tab since that's not really the main thing I want to spend time doing.

Looking forward to playing more!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

BlondRobin posted:

4: please, please, please, please, please make some kind of ban on colonizing new worlds in territory held by people you are at war with. I cannot seriously believe any empire anywhere could convince a billion civilians to load up and decide to live behind enemy lines, and it is incredibly frustrating to watch the AI decide that planet in one of my systems way behind the line of conflict is definitely the planet they want to live on- and now I have to send a fleet back to deal with it, wasting my time and losing more money holding a planet I had no use for just so they can't take it again and make me play this irritating game of Whack-A-Mole. It hasn't even created interesting openings where one of my fleets is occupied, either; it usually just wastes time. Financially it's a wash, as they have to pay to colonize it and I have to pay to prevent them from doing it again.

Aside from those irritants, I'm having a ton of fun. Get a copy!

This makes me think of the Wildcat colonists in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I think a stacking "fear of colonization" penalty would be a pretty neat mechanic in general. It increases any time you lose a colony (for whatever reason) and makes it more expensive/time-consuming to muster up enough people for the next colony. It would naturally decay over time as people don't get eaten by space monsters or nuked from orbit or what have you.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

warcake posted:

I have SR1 but it didn't grab me, I just remember being confused by it.

I don't play any 4x games really, but I like the idea of big space battles. Is this something I can pick up and not have to put tons of hours into understanding it how it all works?

I thought the tutorial did a great job of explaining the basic mechanics. And it takes well less than an hour.

• Locked thread