Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
A Good Game.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the dev's are heavily involved with the community. There's an integrated irc client in the game, and they're usually chilling in there willing to shoot the poo poo with anyone (at least, I assume this is the case, haven't had a ton of opportunity to play recently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Firgof, you should link to reviews/LPs of the game in the OP as you find them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Lorini posted:

Here's a Let's Play from Space Game Junkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwkVMXnPVg

Holy christ, it's the American TotalBiscuit. I think he was lying when he said he played the tutorial.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Gort posted:

OK, so what's a good bunch of stuff to build on your planet(s) when you're starting out? So far I've just about got the hang of how the resource chains work and I've heard you don't want to be building stuff everywhere, but presumably you want some buildings on the planets you're levelling up?

Dunno what "good people" do, but I tend to just rely on pressure for planet development. I'll throw a(nother) factory on a forgeworld once I've upgraded them a bit, and a forge is a great investment, but that's about it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

Is it possible to scrap stuff you build on planets? In particular planetary thrusters, since they're a bit of upkeep to maintain them after you've carted the new worlds into your systems.

If I recall, you can right click them to tear them down.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

This applies to SD1 as well, actually. I had a lot more fun with that when I stopped trying to minmax with bussard ramjets on everything.

I wish SD1 didn't become unstable in the late game with galactic armory installed, I'd play it more if so. Still never found another game that really feels as space-opera-ey as that game.

We've already had one too many StarDrive/Star Ruler mixups on this page :colbert:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

AI in SR1 was utterly brutal, AI in SR2 is fairly easy but I don't know how to change the difficulty.

Click the crossed swords on the AI player's line in game setup.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, BMS has always been great about their price points, and a bunch of other stuff as well. Haven't played SR2 in a dog's age, due to school and other games, but I'm sure the expansion will pull me back in.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

I got excited about an expansion since you mentioned it in the Stellaris thread, but I checked your website and there's no information at all about it there :(

You guys should totally plug SR2 even though it's a competing game, there's plenty of room for two good space 4x/grand strategy games out there in the wasteland we've currently got!

(Also make a That Which Sleeps that actually exists :v:)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Conot posted:

My only real complaint is that I tend to hit ESC trying to get out of Design/Diplomacy/Whatever back to Galaxy and instead end up in the Menu. It'd be nice if the first ESC would escape you to the Galaxy tab and then the second would throw you into the menu.

Pretty sure there's an option that toggles exactly that situation.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Getting in on this poo poo soon as I leave work :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Bought the expansion! Time to play around with the new race gimmicks.

• Locked thread