Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Section Z posted:

As a guy who knows nothing about this, is loving TERRIBLE at strategy, but has a fresh month of excusing impulse buys coming, I have one question before I get some rest.

Can you fire Mono's out of a giant cannon as a means to colonize other worlds with them?

Sots 1 is the only game of this type I've put in enough time to be close to 'understanding' what I was doing... Or at least, :neckbeard: at the ship battles as I win three out of ten games that involve more than one AI :downs:

You can imagine that's how it works I suppose....

In-game they just teleport to the target planet. This does cost some FTL resource based on distance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Can someone tell me how to use the raiding behaviors (brawler and cavalry)? The support ships doesn’t seem to raid until my own flagship is already way in range of the enemy fleet. When the ships do raid, they over shot very badly after the first pass and often can’t get back into position because due to engine damage or whatever. Or maybe this is the intended behavior? To fly behind the enemy fleet to shoot at them once the battle is joined instead of long range attack.

Actually I feel support ships just don’t get into their intended behavior quick enough (due to their engagement range being too short?). I have to put a ton of armor on my cap ship even with a bunch of shield ship because by the time they get into position my flagship will already take a ton of fire. The artillery ship also doesn’t move to the back line until they are already shot to poo poo.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
By the way, is there any way to stop your opponent from building gate station remotely in your system (or really, just any building) and immediately teleport in massive fleet(s)? My opponent had a world with massive labor generation and stock piled even more into warehouse. He could finish the default gate station in literally 5 seconds from across multiple systems. Somtimes right behind my fleet before I can even finish turning around, let along destory it. Does FTL jamming works on gate?

My worlds were so heavily fortified to stop all these instant gate attack, the dread pirate got blew up within 30 seconds when it appeared in home system.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stevefin posted:

So what is generally consided not worth it weapon wise for early support ship fleets. I am finding that to be the hardest part during the early game so far now

Speaking of early game I tried my hand at a one ship wonder flagship. I never new torpedo launchers could act like area of effect bombs in space :stare:

I find all three support weapons to be quite useful and do distinctively different thing. The least useful is probably very small laser due to damage mitigation.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
So um...the tech that gives your railgun the ability to push enemy ships around. I think this tech is way too effective. After I researched this tech ship combat just become broken. My ship will start to fire on the enemy formation, then the entire enemy fleet would get push away so fast (faster than the railgun bullets, actually) we can't fight at all. Kind of amusing at first but might need to be tweaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9p8u9pTUuo
Not featured, this group's size 800 capital ship that just get blown out of the star system by the opening salvo.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 12, 2015

• Locked thread