Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
Can I ask a dumb ship design question? When shots hit armor, this nullifies or reduces damage on components behind it right?

So given your ships are going to be facing the enemy isn't it way more beneficial to have almost all your armour on the front? I understand it adds generic "health" too but doesn't this reduce the damage to critical systems the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Garfu posted:

I watched this whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKP6s_8-xTU

and it explained ship designs and armor and all of that pretty well.

This video is great. It let me design a small armorless missile support that basically owns much more expensive stuff. I've tried making a beam support at the same size to beat it, but I can't get it to live with the missile support at all. It's disappointing, since unarmored ships should be beam weapon's speciality. It seems like the missile's extreme range, their damage pattern and lumpy damage are way too much for beams that have to slowly grind through a ship tile by tile.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Sedisp posted:

Location of the tube maybe. Second or two of extra time it takes the bottom design to hit the top might just do it.

You've picked up on the launcher position. It was actually aligned with a hit coming left and downwards with the front of the ship. If you moved it away from danger I wouldn't be surprised if that's as important as the direction the missile shoots out at. I'd also move the frontmost crew compartment back because a frontal hit with a missile could also destroy that.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Garfu posted:

Dang this game gets hard. Playing against 3 normal AI and I guess mid-game you can't just up the size on your stuff anymore. I had a 4k Carrier with 250 size support ships and i got poo poo on by a 2k and 1-512 size support ship fleet. I guess my Carrier doesn't scale well.

Also what speeds up getting support ships? I had like 250 labor on my main planet and on 2x it was still so slow to fill up my support. Should I be filling fleets on other planets and not focus labor on one but many?

I don't know this for sure, but I think you're limited to one per second. I had a similar planet with stupidly high labour output and seemed to be producing cheap size 1 supports at about that rate. I think there's just a cap on how many ships can be produced in a given timeframe. If you're having trouble winning fights, use more missiles, along with maybe a torpedo on a flagship.

• Locked thread