Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just picked this up and haven't figured it out yet, but I love the scale of the game, and the Diplomacy System is unique and fun. Now to figure out how to min-max properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm learning the colonization system of SR2 and I think I've got it figured out, but something that is annoying. Sometimes I'll start a planet colonizing, then I'll stop it for whatever reason. If any of the colony ships gets there the planet will be stuck at <1 Billion people and there is no way to start it growing again, that I've seen. Is this just an oversight?

So far it looks like I have to abandon the planet then recolonize, but that seems inelegant. Is there some way to transfer population between planets that I haven't found?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Sweet can't wait for the x-pak.

What do people use for ship designs? I just want some specs that I can kind of build towards. i.e. what are good thrust levels and hyperspace speeds for capital ships compared to smaller ships. Ship design is cool, but I don't have a good sense of reasonable numbers. Obviously I'm going for efficiency with cost being scalable by changing the size of the ships.

I've seen a lot of designs from the community, but many of the designs are based on older patches and aren't valid anymore, plus ships that cost 1billion credits but look like the battlestar gallactica aren't really that great for playing the game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So I've got a decent handle on the game now, and pretty much the most important resources is money. Anything else can be bought, or built, but without money resources you are screwed.

I may not fully understand research though. I've got a late game crystal planet that I've upgraded to lvl 5 and I've filled with Research Labs (20 or so) and my research rate is still pretty low, like <3rp/s. This implies that the best way to get research is actually just that one galactic event, which seems bad.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Seems counter-intuitive. I know why you'd do it that way, but it's difficult for the player to understand what's going on with their research planet generating such low yields.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just wish the Revenant had fewer torpedo launchers, and more lasers/railguns. Also more engines would be nice too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The newtonian mechanics bother me in this game. I feel like that is one aspect that should be more "gamey" since we are already gaming the distances between the stars. The huge momentum of moving ships, not having a top speed, and the ships speed not changing with their engine damage is kind of frustrating.

Specifically I'm talking about hunting down the Pirates and Seed ships, but it applies to all the ships. There should be a way to make a large ship more agile, something like an inertia nullifier or something like that to be researched, that lets a ship change non-ftl velocity instantly, making a ship with that system be incredibly maneuverable.

Also a top speed dependent on amount of engine tiles you have.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Closest we've got to that at the moment is the Graviton engine, which allows the ship to thrust in any direction no matter what direction it's presently facing.
The Skip Drive also can instantly nullify any accrued speed with a point-FTL to the ship's present location.

We do try to keep things at least semi-realistic. Some stuff has to be abstracted out simply because we're playing a game but Andrew likes to ensure things at least try to remain accurate (e.g. no green/purple stars)

Graviton engine's are cool, since they negate the time required to rotate, but the problem is the amount of thrust they put out compared to the inertia of the ships, and the basically uncapped top speed. Basically there is no way to put out an amount of thrust that will counter act the mass of the bigger ships.

FTL Mechanics are fine though, including the skip-drives etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

It's tomorrow so you're not that far off.

:toot:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Oh, a quick tip to veterans of SR2 concerning the expansion's changes: We changed a lot in some of the Zeitgeists so you may want to refamiliarize yourself with their effects when you get your hands on the update.

Just finished my Savage AI game, getting the expansion now!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

More so than it appears as well, as now there's secret projects that don't show up on the grid until you fulfill certain conditions - or grab one of the cards that unhides one.

:eyepop:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Played a game with "The First." I think I understand their gimmick and once they get rolling they are ridiculous. Super low mass capital ships Planets that are producing hundreds of Labor/sec, disgarding all planets except luxury goods? Good stuff. They are slow rolling though, but once you are finally able to build an additional Orbital constructor you should have a nice clutch of planets.

Haven't tried the other race yet. Is one of the secret projects the ability to unlock FTL for non-ftl races?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Were megacities removed or are they a secret project now? Nevermind I found them directly to the right of where the tech tree starts.

Also does Crystal Armor suck, or is there a way to repair it say if you are in a home system and you can refit the flagship or whatever? Otherwise it seems like you'd have to scuttle your crystal armor flag ships every so often and you wouldn't be able to use it on support ships at all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

That's the gist with it. A manual retrofit [costs money and labor] will repair it since you're rebuilding those broken sections yeah.

Cool. That's fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to scuttle and rebuild, especially with the experience system that's been put in.

Just lost my first game vs 5 Hard AI's as the Large Gate race. It took me a while to figure out their strategy, but I think I've got it now. You start with 3 gates, they are all linked as far as I can tell with labor pool, construction queues etc. So in order to keep up you need to build additional gates. Now does each individual gate get better as you build more gates? If so, then that is how they scale, and eventually as long as you have the materials to build additional gates, each gate will be a monster that will soon exceed the capacity of a level 5 planet.

Or am I wrong and that their strategy is to settle a few industrial planets and use those as their primary production engine?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Here are some basics and a brief tutorial from the very beginning of the game to developing your home planet to a level 3 planet. I'm mostly self-taught so if there is something I'm missing or wrong about please feel free to add or correct.

The most important resource you have is your "budget." Without sufficient budget you'll never be able to afford the maintenance on your fleets, even if you can build them. Now the thing that throws people off is that you can't horde your budget, anything you don't spend before the next budget cycle is gone and shunted off to either influence, energy, research or defense. Budget is used to construct most everything, planet buildings, Orbitals, Projects, and last but not least Ships. This is pretty straight forward, but how do you develop your empire budget? By developing your empire. Other then the new race, "The First" all the empires need planets for a similar purpose and get similar benefits from those planets.

Planets start out as level 0. This gives them a max of 1 population, and they are able to export any level 0 resource they have to other planets. The most common resources are Food and Water but there are other resources that are level 0 and also provide pressure. The thing to remember about level 0 planets is that they are useless by themselves. They run at a loss and they have no room for "pressure" development, i.e. a 0 max pressure rating.

Pressure represents a planet's potential development. Generally you want to make sure your planet's aren't "over pressure" which basically means you are wasting resources. So how to raise pressure? The best way is by leveling up your planets. As I'm sure you know planets level up from 0 - 1 by providing them with 1 food resource and 1 water resource. As soon as a planet has those two things available to it it's maximum population will rise from 1 to 3. Once it hits 2 population, it will be a level 1 planet. Why does that matter? Well each population point does provide a base amount of budget. i.e. a Level 1 planet with 3 population will no longer run at a loss. It also raises the planet's pressure ceiling, and of course a level 1 planet can export level 1 resources. Additionally the population and pressure development buildings of a high level planet are more valuable then the same buildings and pop of a lower level planet.

Here is a screenshot of my home planet at the very beginning of a game. You can see it's level 1 with 3 population and the planet is running a 60K surplus.

Here is the same planet at 2/3 population because I colonized some stuff.

And here is a level 0 water planet that is freshly colonized.

[timg]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/450733824063833676/4F4743CA1ADBD2A3C97A71D390F2B91096C610F1/[timg]

Yikes. So overall I'm losing about 100k/budget cycle and I'm not done yet.

I also colonized a food planet, and significantly a textiles planet.

Here is the textiles planet as soon as it got to level 1.

Cool it's making money, it's also exporting it's resource to my home planet.

Now I've sent that commerce resource (textiles) to my home planet. This will apply commerce pressure to the planet which will eventually have market's be created, and ultimately raise my budget.

Here is my home planet after I've raised it to level 2 and imported 10 pressure worth of commerce resources.

As you can see it's a far cry from the meager 60k it started out as. And this is only at level 2, imagine how good it will be at level 3! In fact my budget is so good that It may be time to build a battleship (that I can now afford) and take care of the problem to my south...

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 23, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Well, I can suggest things that I do - how I play the game. But how I play isn't necessarily the way you'd play the game so you might find it awkward.
* Retrofitting ships to larger sizes is much cheaper than building them from scrap - and it'll keep their veterancy level intact.

How do you do this?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Oh and this is neat:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

You're welcome of course. Good luck!

So who's found some Secret Projects in their games? I saw the Flare Bomb posted earlier - but there's a lot of 'em in there.

I found the instant hyperjump project.

Also why didn't I win this vote? i.e. Why was the Oko the most supportive, even though I voted 13 for the proposal and he voted 9.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

Earlier support is weighted to be considered more supportive than later support - this makes it harder to 'swoop in at the last second' and claim 'most supportive' in a vote.
The closer to the end a vote is, the less 'supportive' your support is for determining who was 'the most supportive' - and so the more support you'll have to put in to be more supportive.

I figured it was something like that but I didn't see any indications, is there a way to roughly calculate how much additional support you'd need to win? Or would it be possible to show a number next to the empire's vote that is the "true" support of the proposal?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sedisp posted:

That would kinda defeat the purpose of preventing last minute swipes.

The current system means you can still swipe it up but you run the risk of spending excess influence.

Well presumably the amount of support you'd need in the last second to "snipe" the zeitgeist would be way higher then the amount of support you could realistically have available and basically the sooner you played your support the close the race would be. That's how it works now, you just don't see it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The expansion really improved the AI a lot. I'm going to have to re-balance my strategy. I'm playing on Hard with no AI Cheats and it seems like certain AIs get different personalities, not sure if it's consistent with their race or what, but it's interesting have an AI player declare war for rational reasons and then simultaneously force planet annexes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So, it's there any point to upgrading my capital instead of, say, a random 3 Resource planet?

Early on it's much easier to level your capital and depending on the what resources you have available you may be able to get your capital to lvl 4 before you can support two lvl 3 planets (so you can export the resource). That said if I had to make a choice, I'd try to develop the planet that has the most build-able space.

I have a game going that I've certainly won, I used the galactic super power and galactic utopia combo, I'm sitting at 100% influence, I have a ship that is more powerful then the Revenant (which was destroyed) but none of the AI empires will surrender to me even though they have zero planets. I got the achievement, but I never got the victory screen. I like to see my power charted etc as part of the winning but it never popped up. Is there a way to bring it up via the cheat menu or something?

That ship I have highlighted is my pride and joy. The only thing I'd change about it is maybe add one more storage supply instead of a power. It absolutely obliterates the non-destroyer chassis Remnent fleets and having 40million hitpoints does hurt either.

Speaking of Remnant fleets and the Revenant they should probably have their design updated to at least use the Destroyer Chassis and the Carrier Chassis as applicable. You may also want to have their crystal armor plates surround their Anti-matter reactors after that significant change....

Oh is there any other way to get secret projects besides the diplomacy cards?

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 24, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Apparently you have to go clean up the fleets of the empires whose planets you've conquered. Once I did that I got the proper game win screen. Also a carrier fleet with 300G offensive power was pretty neat.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Conot posted:

The new jumpdrives are great but have SO many bugs. From post-jump ships trying to path back to where they started, to ships consuming FTL and not actually making the jump, to the bizzare "ships do a jump but instead of jumping the flagship and its supports are strewn randomly across the path to the destination.

ive seen all of these bugs, But the scattering of support ships across the path of the jump drive should be a feature.

It would encourage more jump drive single destroyers rather then carriers, Creating some variety.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What's the value of ore for non-ancient species?

Star Forge is kind of underwhelming compared to just a normal shipyard with a high level planet.

A ring world is an end game luxury project.

Am I missing a key mechanic?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Firgof posted:

I dunno about 'key' but yes there are other things beyond new habitables and orbitals which use Ore, such as one of the Hulls and a few subsystems beyond that (e.g. Liquid Armor).

Yea I've noticed that. Ore certainly has it's use, but it doesn't seem critically important at the beginning of the game, as there isn't even anything that can use it until you've researched quite a few techs.

Is there a way for a sub-light species to develop FTL? Especially for the end-game.

OwlFancier posted:

Ore is sort of a finite resource but collectivism spawns more asteroids in your systems in the expansion, and you can always create and then bust planets, it stands a reasonable chance of creating ore rocks.

E: Also, another fun thing about the expansion, I like that moon bases now add 2 pop to the planet, way more valuable than they used to be.

Also ring worlds are very nearly a win button in terms of how much they can produce for you, playing defensively until you can build one is absolutely a viable strategy because they output huge amounts of resources and money.
I haven't built one yet, but I'm intrigued about them. It looks like if you can get one built, and import a research, energy, influence and luxury resource to it, it should be monster. But I don't know how it compares to a normal empire with 2-3 level 5 planets.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm conservative with my armor choices as the number one thing to me is keeping the mass down. But one thing I've noticed is that big hits will cut through the ship in basically a straight line. So if you take a critical system, like your bridge core and you draw 6 straight lines from it, following the hexes I make sure to reinforce those lines. On the outside of the ship I'll put some neutronium, inside I'll have some bulkheads along that line. At the back of a ship I'll have ablative armor that is good vs multiple small hits, and at the front of the ship I'll have reactive/ablative, with plate armor behind it.

Liquid armor isn't all they great imo, but the way it used to be used was you'd have a "skin" of liquid armor, and then a connected reserve inside the ship. Pack the ship with repair capabilities and you'd have a tough ship. But with the hex limitation on ships, you don't really have enough room to do that anymore, plus I think they reduced the repair rate and increased the power consumption of those systems. Maybe you could get some success using titan/colossus hulls, but I haven't really experimented too much.

On another note I love the community ships you can download, but I wish you could restrict your search queries to specific technologies, and also your current version of the game. As many of the old designs are obsolete/invalid.

I will recommend everyone download the "ugly scout" design from the community tab. It's very fast, can be easily adapted for any race you want, and it's plenty survivable. The first thing I build when I start a new game is 2-3 of those and put them on auto-explore, usually they will survive until the end-game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A lot of mechanics aren't really applicable to the Ancients. Ring Habitats are 100% useless for them because they don't have population. I could see artificial moons being useful but you won't be able to unlock them with the ancients.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How do you steal astroids that have been claimed by the AI? I don't mean with a tractor tug, I mean you come across a system, and the AI has some astroids being mined, so they are the AI's color. How do I make them mine?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

IIRC, I asked GGLucas on #starruler and he said that damage doesn't travel following exactly the path of subsequent side-by-side hexes (which is an explanation I saw on a youtube video) - rather, ships are treated like rough spheres, a vector is then drawn based on the path unimpeded fire that hits it would follow, and that vector is superimposed on the ship's diagram to determine what hexes will take the damage.

Should should still armor up or otherwise nestle critical components deep in your design for protection, but long lines of armor branching out aren't the end-all of protecting a specific component.

Oh for sure. In fact if you pay attention you'll see that after a few hexes in a row get damaged you'll get a "hook." This means that if you have an anti-matter reactor 6 pieces of armor 5 squares away aren't sufficient, but they act a good guideline for where you should place bulkheads etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Well the game never forces you to end. You'll get the victory sum-up screen, but then you can keep going. Additionally if you put the AI on easy I don't think they will ever attack you first. As far as pacing, you can slow the game down to half speed, or increase it to 10x speed.

You can also generate multiple galaxies of hundreds/thousands of systems, and then there is a good chance you'll never even run across a single AI for a long time. Finally I think you can start a game in an empty universe if you want.

Oh and there is a galaxy type that is endlessly expanding where you fight bigger and bigger remnant ships to conquer more and more planets which is fun to mess around on.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 28, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rhjamiz posted:

The fact that I have to manually purchase pop as the Mono for every planet is probably one of the few things that is super frustrating and tedious about the game. Especially once the empire gets large enough.

Yea. I like the idea of the Mono, but the population management makes them a mid-game nightmare. Additionally early on they start out so slow that I don't think they are viable at any difficulty above normal.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
On that note I've had a few crashes while playing SR2, I'm running Win10, some of them are abrupt, like SR2 has encountered an error and needs to close, and some times I get the "display driver not responding" error, which causes SR2 to crash.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lazorexplosion posted:

Hot tip: build a few small flagships that are basically just supply storage with engines on and use them to capture planets instead of having your multimillion dollar combat fleets fart around for ages capturing a planet and then going back to get more supplies because they used them all capturing planets.

I think if you give them the planetary batteries for weapons it increases capture speed as well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Spoggerific posted:

How many research stations should I be building? I normally only build a handful near the start, but then my research seems pitifully slow by midgame. Would it be a bad idea to build a couple on basically every planet with free pressure cap?

I'd say minimize the number you build on non-crystalline worlds. You should use research resources for your research needs.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've got a saved game where I am mopping up the Oko and when into a system, they have like 30 scouts and a fling beacon and suddenly my support ships in my carrier fleet get flung out of the system and then the game locks. It's interesting to say the least.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byvh0ybv6TQaUW5lY25jcHZNSUk

There's the Save Game.

And the autosave, since for some reason I can't open the save game...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byvh0ybv6TQaRFdURDRsd2RocGs

The system in question is Vik, the Oko are Orange.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What are people's opinions on Torpedo vs Missiles vs Rockets?

Originally I thought Torpedo's would be good for punching through armor, but it looks like Torpedo's big thing is AoE damage which is great because the long range of them allows you to shoot about twice before even getting into engagement range, and even in late game fleet's I see the two torpedo hits knock off a few thousand fleet strength, usually I'll put torpedo's on opposing sides of the ship so that they will hit different targets and maximize their AoE. Seems to work well.

For my fleets I'm pretty heavy on missile boats as the artillery role, I'll have a similar amount of Beam Ships as the cannon role. Then I redesign my gunships to be raiders, and the heavy gunships to be a shield role with Muon Cannons and a laser. Not sure how effective the shield role is, but it seems good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KlavoHunter posted:

I am playing a 4-player game in a 70-system Rings galaxy. The Heralds were vassalized to the First, and the Hoonan seem to be reigning supreme whilst I war with them on and off.

Right now I am trying to match the Hoonan's 2000+ size flagship, and I now have the option to build a Colossus hull ship for the first time. However, there seems to be no advantage over the Titan hull, I have two 3072-size ships, one Titan, one Colossus, and the Colossus is more expensive in up-front costs and upkeep.

In fact, I made a third Titan design that tried to copy my 3072 Colossus as closely as possible, and aside from some minor advantages like a second decent-sized Torpedo tube and some extra extra bridges, the Titan version was considerably cheaper for most of the same stats.

What is the point of the Colossus?

Fun bug (?): Your Overlord will support your efforts to diplomatically annex their systems.

I also think the "Increases Power Generation by 25%" research did nothing. I had a power-heavy Graviton Condensor starkiller designed before I got that research, and a redesigned version after was not any different.

Yea looks like the colossus doesn't get any discounts unlike a titan does. From the gamefiles:
Titan
code:
AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::HexLimitFactor(4.0)
	AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::GridWidthFactor(sqrt(2.2))
	AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::GridHeightFactor(sqrt(2.2))

AddShipModifier: HyperdriveSpeedFactor(0.66)
	AddShipModifier: MassFactor(1.5)
	AddShipModifier: BuildCostFactor(1.0 - 0.5 * min(sqrt((ShipSize - 500) / 3000), 1.0))
	AddShipModifier: FireArcFactor(2.0)
The colossus hull doesn't get any of that except for additional hex space:
code:
AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::HexLimitFactor(10.0)
	AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::GridWidthFactor(4.0)
	AddShipModifier: FlagshipHull::GridHeightFactor(sqrt(2.2))
I'd think a colossus hull should get additional discounts that are similar to the Titan, maybe lower maintenance costs, but a larger initial investment.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Missiles are the best for damage, but they can be outrun, cost more supply then lasers and aren't nearly as good vs lots of smaller craft as they will tend to "overkill." That said I make about 1/3 to 1/2 of my support fleet missile boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Garfu posted:

I just don't get it sometimes. No matter how I turn the tube, it looks like the missles are coming out the back of the ship and then turning towards the enemy.

For instance, why is this happening:

With this:

And if the tubes are pointed in the wrong direction... I've tried the opposite direction, does the same thing.

This design now beats the default pretty handily, but still, the missles fire out backwards.

What if you move the missile launcher to the first gap in the front? Or the second?

Also just a small nitpick that is probably just preference, but for support missile boats I like to have only a single launcher for the single big punch since they are primarily for taking down flagships. (I set them as artillery).

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2016

• Locked thread