Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Hestia needs to get some tips from Zeus and turn into a duck or whatever like he always does.

Shower of gold. Works every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Darth Walrus posted:

Shower of gold. Works every time.

I never understood why Zeus had to trick chicks into loving him instead of appearing in a bolt of lightning and being like "I AM THE GOD OF YOUR GODS LET'S gently caress"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I never understood why Zeus had to trick chicks into loving him instead of appearing in a bolt of lightning and being like "I AM THE GOD OF YOUR GODS LET'S gently caress"

He's not hiding from the mortals, he's hiding from his wife. Also, sometimes you just want some time alone. A bunch of priests showing up and burning offerings to you while you're trying to bang the hot princess can get pretty awkward.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Darth Walrus posted:

He's not hiding from the mortals, he's hiding from his wife. Also, sometimes you just want some time alone. A bunch of priests showing up and burning offerings to you while you're trying to bang the hot princess can get pretty awkward.

Maybe Zeus should have considered a Godly divorce. :colbert:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

And set the precedent for many miserable couples the countryside over, nonsense.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, because going against Hera always works soooo well ...

Zeus is stupidly powerful, but Hera is *nasty*.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

I think she was also worried that if he knew what was causing his super stat growth(his desire to get stronger to catch up with Aiz) then that might ironically weaken or disable the skill altogether because he might stop trying so hard and might start trying to use the skill as a crutch. She's said the power of the skill is directly tied to the strength of his feelings in that regard.

Just so you know, Hestia did have a good reason to keep the skill secret. It's a one-of-a-kind skill, the kind that would attract trouble. This was elaborated in a little section from her point of view.
(Please forgive the BakaTsuki tier translation)

quote:

(If I reveal it, it will be bad. Definitely bad)
Not letting Bell know about this skill was absolutely not a prank. To be honest, the jealousy she felt for the Wallen-whatever girl accounted for 70%, no, 90% of the reason, anyways, saying this will cause a lot of trouble.
Because the other gods thirst for entertainment, <Rare Skill> or <Original>, they would react to these words. As if they were children, satisfying their own interest, while laughing
Also, there were idiots that were invited to other <Familia>.
It was just like a gamer’s personality.
(This child is not good at telling lies, if he was asked, he would definitely be suspected by others. Although I am sorry, I won’t concede about this point)
The specific conditions that rapidly upgrades the growth rate.
<Single-Minded Pursuit>, it was definitely an unconfirmed new skill.
In order to protect Bell from the demonic hands, Hestia kept the existence of this skill within her heart.

ofc there's her general childish possessiveness wrt Bell. Her appearance is not the only thing influenced by her lack of power. But she's still a goddess, so she's both wise and stupid at the same time.

Ironically she's exactly right except it's due to a different trait of Bell's.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The atrocity level of that "translation" makes me depressed. Why do people even bother if they're this bad? It just smears the original's reputation. Seems they're made by people who know neither Japanese nor English.

Please to go drown in a fire if any of you are involved in a project like this.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

darkgray posted:

The atrocity level of that "translation" makes me depressed. Why do people even bother if they're this bad?

Because the intersection of "good translator" and "interested in a light novel" and "translate for free" probably is indistinguishable from the null set.

Many of the people who do these kinds of translations are doing it for the practice, so they are not experts in the source language and may not be experts in the destination language either.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It I have to guess it's most likely a Chinese person who is bad a English translating a Japanese -> Chinese fan translation so it becomes extra choppy and bad.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

buzmeg posted:

Because the intersection of "good translator" and "interested in a light novel" and "translate for free" probably is indistinguishable from the null set.

I daresay it isn't so much "translate for free" that's the issue, as "what do I even do with this?" that's scaring the good translators away from light novels.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
"Start over". :v:

In the case of BakaTsuki it's a politics thing. Their idea of what an editor should do is "spell check, nothing more" because they hold the translators to a pedestal.

And translator blogs are typically a one-man affair so there isn't an editor at all.

Also, from my experience trying to fix a crappy script and what a good translator commented it seem it actually takes more work to reword things to good english than it is to translate to broken english.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Felt rushed, and not all that coherent, but I guess it'll work for what you can do in 23 minutes.

The books are better, you guys. Go read the books.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So the guy in Bell's flashbacks is Zeus. I can believe it.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Heeeey Bell, Zeus' grandson? That's cheating!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Doesn't that make him the son of Hercules?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I thought the ending was alright, Hermes' last revelation was okay since it's obviously a hooker for the rest of the story.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Doesn't that make him the son of Hercules?
Well, it explains a lot for one thing.

I don't think Freya knows what she's in for, though.

Also, Zeus had more than one son. Heracles wasn't the only one.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bell isn't his real grandson, just adopted. Gods can't have children in this world.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

darkgray posted:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Bell isn't his real grandson, just adopted. Gods can't have children in this world.

Noooooooo.:smith:

Sucks for them.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Noooooooo.:smith:

Sucks for them.

on the bright side it avoids the awkward nephew/cousin implication with hestia :yikes:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My favorite part of the episode was actually Ouka. That wrapped up his little tiny side plot really well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

My favorite part of the episode was actually Ouka. That wrapped up his little tiny side plot really well.

It was neat that Bell didn't end up stealing his glory, for sure. Indeed, even though he did get the finishing blow, this battle felt like a real team effort (although it'd have been fun if Lilli had somehow bullshitted her way into being useful somehow - maybe crewing a town siege weapon or something).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

So the guy in Bell's flashbacks is Zeus. I can believe it.

I thought the same thing.

"Welp, that explains why his grandfather was so freaking horny all the time. And the kissing girls while sleeping conflict. And rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrromance!"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

It was neat that Bell didn't end up stealing his glory, for sure. Indeed, even though he did get the finishing blow, this battle felt like a real team effort (although it'd have been fun if Lilli had somehow bullshitted her way into being useful somehow - maybe crewing a town siege weapon or something).

Well, its team-effort in the anime sense where everyone can only apply superficial wounds except for Bell's super-sayian mode.

Does anyone reading the light-novels know what happens with the giant crystal?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

This is a bit of a complicated question, because in the book, the final charged greatsword attack destroys the crystal (intentionally), in order to turn the monster into ash and thereby disable the regeneration ability, if I recall correctly, so it's different from what happens in the anime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Also that's gotta be a level up for like everyone involved.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

darkgray posted:

Aaaaaawwww man. I feel like it'd be more interesting if he was a result of all that. Because Bell's very much in personality different from pretty much every media depiction of Zeus's progeny and I like the contrast.

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
So did Bell level up from that? He was only level two for a couple of days.

Will this show be coming back any time soon since it burned through the LN material so fast?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aaaaaawwww man. I feel like it'd be more interesting if he was a result of all that. Because Bell's very much in personality different from pretty much every media depiction of Zeus's progeny and I like the contrast.

Well at least he can contrast his upbringing from Zeus' views. I still don't get why he would want to emulate Jason from the Argonauts. Of all the jerks in the greek pantheon of heroes he's among the top in terms of wronging alot of people. At least Heracles had the problem of not knowing his own strength and the fact his mother made him homocidal.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is this seriously only 13 episodes? Have the LNs been licensed (and thus translated in a not-terrible fashion)?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Kanos posted:

Also that's gotta be a level up for like everyone involved.

That's what I was wondering, he's got to be like level 4 or something now.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

blastron posted:

Is this seriously only 13 episodes? Have the LNs been licensed (and thus translated in a not-terrible fashion)?

Yes they are licenced, but only rather recently. So it'll be months maybe even a year before they catch up to where we are in the story. And don't even bother with the fan translations cause we blew way past what they have translated in the last few episodes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Myurton posted:

Yes they are licenced, but only rather recently. So it'll be months maybe even a year before they catch up to where we are in the story. And don't even bother with the fan translations cause we blew way past what they have translated in the last few episodes.

The fan translations are also nigh-unreadable drek, which is not a really good attribute for a novel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Well, its team-effort in the anime sense where everyone can only apply superficial wounds except for Bell's super-sayian mode.

It felt important in that they held him off, distracted him, and softened him up while Bell had to stand still in a vulnerable position to charge up the killing blow. Their job was to keep him (and themselves) alive until he could finish the fight, and they succeeded nicely.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Myurton posted:

Volume 2 was march iirc.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

It felt important in that they held him off, distracted him, and softened him up while Bell had to stand still in a vulnerable position to charge up the killing blow. Their job was to keep him (and themselves) alive until he could finish the fight, and they succeeded nicely.

Did they though? That was the original plan, to hold him off until the mages could nuke him. After that failed they basically tried for a repeat of the same, and Bell wasn't the centerpiece there either. Bell got KO'ed and I don't think anyone aside from his Goddess and the carrier thought he'd even be getting back up to fight again. They were still doing what they could to win without him when he got up, got handed a sword, and walked off into the dust being kicked up. Was there ever any indication by the other people that were carrying on knew Bell was there and not still knocked out, or that they thought he would be the one to do the killing blow? I'll have to re-watch it when I get home, but I kind of thought everyone else was trying their best, it wasnt enough, and then Bell shows up and ends it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Did they though? That was the original plan, to hold him off until the mages could nuke him. After that failed they basically tried for a repeat of the same, and Bell wasn't the centerpiece there either. Bell got KO'ed and I don't think anyone aside from his Goddess and the carrier thought he'd even be getting back up to fight again. They were still doing what they could to win without him when he got up, got handed a sword, and walked off into the dust being kicked up. Was there ever any indication by the other people that were carrying on knew Bell was there and not still knocked out, or that they thought he would be the one to do the killing blow? I'll have to re-watch it when I get home, but I kind of thought everyone else was trying their best, it wasnt enough, and then Bell shows up and ends it.

Nah, they all seemed to be in on the plan. I mean, that gravity cage was obviously for containing rather than killing the Goliath. It felt like a team effort in the same way Goku pinning down Raditz for Piccolo did.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

About Bell&Co leveling up after the fight in episode 13 (vol 5 finale):

(LN vol 6) No, Bell doesn't. Welf hits Lv2, though.

There are a couple of reasons/theories about why, apart from the need to slow down the story a bit. In vol 3 it's mentioned that the requirements for leveling up are "a great feat" and "stats of at least D (500)" (singular or all is unclear). Bell's stats pre-fight were Lv2, STR:365, END:271, DEX:349, AGI:469, MAG:270, which means he doesn't qualify yet, by a hair. It's also said later that the experience from defeating the black Goliath was spread across the entire raid, so the actual gain per individual member probably wasn't that high in terms of numbers, even if the win resulted in a "great feat" for those who needed that final bump.

None of the others level up either. Ryu can't level up because her Goddess is in hiding outside of the town somewhere, so there's nobody to update her stats. Lili's highest stat is MAG:317 (F), and she's on the run from the Soma Familia either way. Mikoto got her Lv2 nickname along with Bell in ep 9, so it's too soon for her as well. Admittedly it could have been enough for Asufi to level up, but she was already Lv4 at the time of the fight, and there haven't been any revelations on her after this event.

On the greatsword Bell uses for the final charged attack: (Sword Oratoria vol 1) It's actually a drop item from the boss of floor 37, which Ais solo-kills in episode 4 to hit Lv6. She's left it in storage for future use in the dungeon town, which then gets dragged out along with all other weapons and shields for the black Goliath fight, where Lili finds it and gives it to Bell when he's out cold.

The Dungeon adventures get put on hold after this fight for quite some time, as both volume 6 and 7 are primarily Familia vs Familia wars above ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Is it possible for somebody to leave a Familia without the consent of their prior god/goddess?

• Locked thread