Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Srice posted:

It reminded me of SAO in the sense that the main character felt like a bland self insert, and all of the ladies already want his dick. Felt light novel-y as hell and even though it's not a story about being trapped in a MMO, it might as well be one since they're treating it like a video game anyways.

I mean Bell is too pure as a character. Super naive and genuinely good, true of heart, etc. Gives it a different flavour from SAO, where Kirito is busy ~outsmarting the game~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want a show where fighter man improves each episode. DanMachi, RPG-crap or not, tried this. Unfortunately it also added harem BS as a safety net, and we all know which part is getting emphasized by studios.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, until lv15 when he gets Underdog

He had the lowest max stats possible out of the first generation

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ha, it has the same system as FFXV in that you level up only when you're camping :v:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Also Bell is voiced by the same voice actor as Kirito.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Ha, it has the same system as FFXV in that you level up only when you're camping :v:

Not necessarily. If that was the case, then he wouldn't have experienced that sudden jump to his stats the second time his goddess checked them since he technically wouldn't have had the skill until then. The whole ritual to derive his stats is probably just to update his current status. Of course this is a really minute detail that won't matter at all in the future since it's going to just deteriorate into a standard harem show anyways.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I want a show where fighter man improves each episode. DanMachi, RPG-crap or not, tried this. Unfortunately it also added harem BS as a safety net, and we all know which part is getting emphasized by studios.

pandaK posted:

Also Bell is voiced by the same voice actor as Kirito.

Not necessarily. If that was the case, then he wouldn't have experienced that sudden jump to his stats the second time his goddess checked them since he technically wouldn't have had the skill until then. The whole ritual to derive his stats is probably just to update his current status. Of course this is a really minute detail that won't matter at all in the future since it's going to just deteriorate into a standard harem show anyways.

That part is relatively minor in the series from what I can tell, mostly because Bell is literally the most obtuse character possible to the point that he freaks out whenever he sees the girl of his dreams, doesn't pick up on the maid girl's flirt attempts, and considers Hestia his family rather then a romance option. For a harem romance series it really avoids any semblance of romance so far in exchange to just focus on Bell's obsession to level up and get stronger.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

agree for all except for the maid girl, she only wanted to rope him into a life of eternal patronage for his cold hard cash with no romance involved. This will be an unprecedented twist three quarters of the way through the third arc where it is revealed that she is only one of amongst the vast network of underground shadow dealers and it will be up to bell to woo her frozen heart through his display of heroism in order to save her from her life of servitude.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pentyne posted:

That part is relatively minor in the series from what I can tell, mostly because Bell is literally the most obtuse character possible to the point that he freaks out whenever he sees the girl of his dreams, doesn't pick up on the maid girl's flirt attempts, and considers Hestia his family rather then a romance option. For a harem romance series it really avoids any semblance of romance so far in exchange to just focus on Bell's obsession to level up and get stronger.

This first episode showed us that he is deathly afraid of boobs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

pandaK posted:

she only wanted to rope him into a life of eternal patronage for his cold hard cash with no romance involved

marriage is rough yea

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

First episode was okay. Good enough for a three episode test. Best character so far is restaurant lady that sees a scrawny weak looking guy and gives him a ton of food(to buy) so he can get big and strong. Kirimoe isn't too bad either. Poor guy just wants to get swole as soon as possible.

AnacondaHL posted:

marriage is rough yea

:drat:

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 4, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what kind of buffs do those foods grant? must be some killer stuff if it's that expensive and a high level guild prefers it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Based on the first episode I'd say, no it's not wrong per se, but having any success probably takes a bunch more preparation than our protagonist has done so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The first episode was reasonably fun and I'll give it a couple more, but don't even try to kid yourselves that it's not a harem show at its core. Make your peace with that and that some dudes on the internet will make fun of you for it if you like it and move on. If we're lucky, maybe it'll make a point of how dumb the whole "Protect a girl/show her your strength and she will fall in love with you" thing is, given that it's already an inversion of that from the start, and that all the ladies crushing on him so far are doing so for reasons unrelated to that.

Of course, this is still an anime/manga and Japan is still Japan, so I'm certain nothing at all will come of that and it will just be the usual. At least his goal is being able to stand next to her, I guess.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh what it's like to be young and naive again and to experience tsundere for the first time.

i like this gif

show seems dumb though

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

pandaK posted:

He had the lowest max stats possible out of the first generation
Yeah, his lovely base class had the lowest max stats. Thankfully you can class change him into other classes as soon as he learns underdog, he has about the same max stat modifier totals as everyone else in the game (approximately 1 or 2), but is blessed with the third best stat growths behind the dragons BEFORE his aptitude skill is applied.

I can let a few posts calling Donnel bad go because his stats do start out in the absolute shitter, but your point doesn't even mean anything.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 5, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

People calling Donnel bad are people who are bad at Fire Emblem, or never figured out the class-change system.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

"the protagonist is oblivious to his harem" is a centerpoint of the harem genre, though.

mrRedWhite
Feb 16, 2011

Twiddy posted:

Yeah, his lovely base class had the lowest max stats. Thankfully you can class change him into other classes as soon as he learns underdog, he has about the same max stat modifier totals as everyone else in the game (approximately 1 or 2), but is blessed with the third best stat growths behind the dragons BEFORE his aptitude skill is applied.

I can let a few posts calling Donnel bad go because his stats do start out in the absolute shitter, but your point doesn't even mean anything.

Growth rates don't matter in Awakening since you have infinite exp to work with, what matters is class selection and stat caps. His stat caps aren't very impressive, aside from his luck, and he has bad class selection. He starts with spears but none of his good classes use them so he has to spend even more time using poo poo weapons. Donnel's actual value is he can give Galeforce access to a child that doesn't have normal access to it. He has more value as a father than he does as a unit. He will consistently be good, but he'll never be able to compete with any gen 2 characters. Donnel would be amazing in any other fire emblem, but he's nothing special in awakening.

As for this anime, I'm wondering how levels work in this world. Level 5 is apparently a big deal, so is there a level cap? If so what is it? I'll give the show the 3 episode test, and then probably drop it unless it does something interesting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mrRedWhite posted:

Growth rates don't matter in Awakening since you have infinite exp to work with, what matters is class selection and stat caps. His stat caps aren't very impressive, aside from his luck, and he has bad class selection. He starts with spears but none of his good classes use them so he has to spend even more time using poo poo weapons. Donnel's actual value is he can give Galeforce access to a child that doesn't have normal access to it. He has more value as a father than he does as a unit. He will consistently be good, but he'll never be able to compete with any gen 2 characters. Donnel would be amazing in any other fire emblem, but he's nothing special in awakening.

none of this crap actually matters in the main game

he's still not that good but that's because the avatar breaks the game without 10 levels of babying.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

HiveCommander posted:

People calling Donnel bad are people who are bad at Fire Emblem, or never figured out the class-change system.

Donnel is bad because he's a boring character who I don't like and that's the only meaningful metric in a Fire Emblem game with grinding and reclassing.

Also reclassing is bad and sucks the soul out of FE and you should feel bad about a character who is only viable because of it.

e: As for the anime, I didn't mind and somewhat enjoyed what I read of the manga. It's super harem though and I tend to have a high tolerance for that, but it didn't overwhelm the rest of the manga. Yet, anyway.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Donnel is bad because he's a boring character who I don't like and that's the only meaningful metric in a Fire Emblem game with grinding and reclassing.

Also reclassing is bad and sucks the soul out of FE and you should feel bad about a character who is only viable because of it.

e: As for the anime, I didn't mind and somewhat enjoyed what I read of the manga. It's super harem though and I tend to have a high tolerance for that, but it didn't overwhelm the rest of the manga. Yet, anyway.
I for one support Donnel's desire to become a badass gladiator :black101:

DunMachi is off to a good start, now if only the manga could progress a little...

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

mrRedWhite posted:

I guess I shouldn't care about half my team, I can just get OP DLC characters and grind them to max and just finish the game that way.

Really, if you're calling Donnel bad because you have to exploit the OP mechanics you're offered, then literally none of the first generation actually matters. That seems like an incredibly soulless way to go about playing a game.

I mean, there's two ways of talking about the game here. You can play the game like an actual game, in which case Donnel's mechanics and powers are super strong and go hand in hand with how the system is played, or you can exploit DLC and every other optional thing which invalidates almost all of the characters about equally in terms of use. I can't see the second one as particularly interesting or worthy of discussion.

Cake Attack posted:

none of this crap actually matters in the main game

he's still not that good but that's because the avatar breaks the game without 10 levels of babying.
You won't hear me deny that the Avatar is probably the best character in the game, but I feel like Donnel's second in the first generation. He's not far behind, at least. In any case, you can't deny that he's powerful in terms of the game mechanics and main story mode, even if he's not the absolute best.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 5, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So is there a reason why Hestia/a god is slumming it out with Humans is that the situation with all of the gods?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, that's basically how the world functions. Gods generally have their own Familia which I assume they get some benefit from. Hestia only managed to recruit Bellri hence why it's just the two of them, compared to all the other familia which are basically guilds.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

So is there a reason why Hestia/a god is slumming it out with Humans is that the situation with all of the gods?

The intro explained all the back story for that but I don't remember any of it. As ^^ said they basically function as guild leaders.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They decided that being immortal voyeurs sucked and went down to hang out with the humans they formerly spent all their time watching. All the level and stat poo poo is how their divine blessing manifests- no one has that nonsense naturally.

But let's get back to the important stuff. Is Donnel moe?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I assume that gods came down and became wacky sitcom neighbors/guild leaders to stop teenagers from coming up to heaven and killing them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

She's not a very good god. All the other big names are gods capable of making things/boosting their family. There's a huge guild run by a god who makes the greatest liquor/booze in the world and his members get tons of it. I think there's a blacksmith god who makes the best of the best equipment for their followers, but Loki guild that the MC's crush belongs to seems to just be full of strong people and Loki doesn't do much.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Allow me to sperg out on the setting a bit.

The gods had been watching the world from Above for hundreds of millions of years (according to character stat sheets), and were growing bored. Then, a thousand or so years ago, a mysterious hole appeared in the ground. From it spewed strange monsters, who wreaked havoc upon the people, and they began to build walls and fortresses to fight back. An organization was formed to hold back the onslaught, and they built a great tower, Babel, on top of the rift.

Time and again, it would crumble, as new waves of monsters crawled out. Eventually the gods decided to intervene, and they descended upon the world. First among them was Uranus, who joined forces with the organization and used his divine prayer to put up a protective barrier over the hole. As long as he sits on his throne in the bowels of Babel, the monsters are unable to get out of the Dungeon. The organization eventually became known as The Guild, and while Uranus is their deity, they remain neutral and govern the city built around Babel, and members gain no Blessings.

In the years since the appearance of the Dungeon, tons of gods have descended, and they go around recruiting members to their Familia, who in exchange for the magical powers of the Blessings support their deity in their endeavours. Some Familia are pure "progression guilds", like Loki and Freya's. Their members are famed for their battle prowess and make deep expeditions into the Dungeon, reaching as far as the 58th floor. Others are "merchant guilds", producing potions or forging weaponry for the Adventurers.

Monsters in the Dungeon are given life through magical crystals, and these Dungeon-specific items are prized in the world because they can be used as "batteries", powering everything from streetlamps to magical elevators. The Guild buys them from Adventurers, and the trade of these magical crystals makes Oraria one of the richest cities. Luckily monsters spawn from the walls of the Dungeon at a fast rate, so there's an infinite supply, as long as someone is willing to brave the depths.

The gods treat the world as though it were all a big game, and they've made up Rules to keep things entertaining. The gods themselves have sealed in their divine powers, and leave everything to their Familia, apart from transforming "experia" into stat growth. Break the rules by performing miracles, and you're banished from the world, having to return to the boring old Heavens.

Hestia is a very recently descended goddess, who's mostly been mooching off her best friend Hephaestus, the deity of a very wealthy smithing Familia. Heph eventually got tired of it, and kicked her out, so Hestia is living in a ruined church, working part-time jobs to feed herself. Fortunately she just bumped into Bell, who was naive enough to join her hopeless Familia, and things are looking up!

In regards to levels, they're pretty low in numbers. Few heroes ever reach the highest known level 6, with most Adventurers wallowing around in the lower floors (1-12) at level 1-2. Familia are ranked by the Guild according to how high the level of their members are, with Loki and Freya at the top, and Hestia at the very bottom. Higher rank means higher taxation to the Guild, however, so many Familia keep their member levels secret to evade the Tax Man.

Stats are rated in letters from I (i) up to A and then S above that. These correspond to the number values:
0-99 I (i)
100-199 H
200-299 G
300-399 F
400-499 E
500-599 D
600-699 C
700-799 B
800-899 A
900-999 S

These are applied to attributes: Strength, Endurance, Dexterity, Agility, Magic.
You gain stat increases by using the attributes, so if you hit people a lot, STR goes up. If you take a punch in the face, END goes up. Sneak attack, and DEX increases. Dodge, and AGI is boosted.
Magic is increased by using magical spells, which can be acquired by reading magical grimoires, basically spell books that get used up once read. These are rare and super expensive, though. Might be possible to get them when leveling up as well. Adventurers only have 3 spell slots, however. Firing of magic spells uses up a mana-like pool called "Mind", and if it runs low, you can pass out for a day.

In addition, there are "development abilities", which are generally gained on level up. Usually you get a random assortment of choices, but they tend to be related to what you've been doing a lot of lately. There are abilities, like poison resistance, increased damage to beasts, or advanced smithing. They increase in power just like attributes, the more you use them. There are also "skills", which are actively triggered specials that can help you in various ways.

Leveling up is tricky business, and usually requires a "heroic feat", rather than just increasing stats. What exactly constitutes a feat is hazy, but it helps if you fight a monster much stronger than yourself, etc. Once leveled, your power is practically doubled, creating a massive gap between Adventurers of different levels, even though your attributes are reset to 0.

Anyway, that's how I understand how the setting works in DanMachi. Much of this will probably show up gradually over the course of the anime, though.

On the official website there's a stat screen bottom left showing Bell's current power level:
STR - H 120
END - I 42
DEX - H 139
AGI - G 225
MAG - I 0

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 18, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So leveling as an adventurer is kinda like doing a NG+ in JRPGs. Right.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I read the prequel manga that focused on Ais and her friends, that was a lot better than the anime/manga.

Basically I'm saying is Hestia would be fine as a side char and Bell shouldn't exist and it should be a slice of life anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bell is clearly too much of an idiot to live, and Hestia's ribbon+boob situation looks very uncomfortable.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 5, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished the first episode. If it stays this light-hearted, it seems like the kind of trashy thing I wouldn't mind watching once a week.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Raxivace posted:

Just finished the first episode. If it stays this light-hearted, it seems like the kind of trashy thing I wouldn't mind watching once a week.

Yeah I'm hoping this fills the filler-gap left by Akame Ga Kill!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a kitten posted:

Bell is clearly too much of an idiot to live, and Hestia's ribbon+boob situation looks very uncomfortable.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a shout out to carameldansen or not.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm just trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a shout out to carameldansen or not.
Even if it's not (i immediately thought of it too), the time is ripe for carameldansen v.2 to sweep the 'net. Now with 100% more teeth-brushin'.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

Even if it's not (i immediately thought of it too), the time is ripe for carameldansen v.2 to sweep the 'net. Now with 100% more teeth-brushin'.

An animeme that could finally do some good for the world.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Twiddy posted:

100%

Also just from seeing that first episode, I don't see why anyone would be looking down on the protag at all. It seems like he has aptitude from Fire Emblem, and we all know how nuts busted Donnel was.

Truth. I mean he's the protagonist so of course he has a super rare ability to level quickly and Kami knows what else. I've popped around the manga a bit, but it seems like that's way behind the light novels, so I imagine the anime will outpace my limited knowledge quickly enough.

I don't see a lot of new ideas, but I'm a sucker for rpg/game animes and until Korea and Japan really get along (never) I won't get an anime of The Gamer, so this will have to do.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This show is dumb.

I might watch more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

NowonSA posted:

I don't see a lot of new ideas, but I'm a sucker for rpg/game animes and until Korea and Japan really get along (never) I won't get an anime of The Gamer, so this will have to do.

So basically someone gave Ulillillia a budget and a sex drive and he's taken the world by storm.

• Locked thread