Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you gonna be watching this?
Seth: YES! I'm buying in....to the WWE Network for just $9.99!
Bryan: NO! NO! NO! Gonna watch an indy show or Duke/Gonzaga instead.
Scotty & Grand Master: Why didn't Rikishi thank us? :cry:
Big Show: :350:
View Results

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm actually going to head over a friend's place and watch Mania with people I know in real life for once, which should hopefully improve the expereicne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I gotta say it was a better show than I expected helped by alcohol and watching with real people for a change.

Main event was great! That was the most I've been emotionally invested in a WWE match since MITB 2011 and they managed not to gently caress it up. Can't think of a better way to have pulled off Brock not walking out as champ.

That being said though, I think Dave's praise went a tad overly effusive:

Big Dave posted:

This was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Several great matches, a killer angle and very little that wasn't good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Does anyone actually think the main event finish added to the match? It really took me out of it. When you have a match that intense and hard fought it sucks to have a finish like that. I'm not necessarily even criticizing them for doing it, as I can see how it makes booking sense, but it sure took the match itself down a notch for me. Are people just happy that Roman didn't win?

I agree it took a great match down a notch in isolation, but it was sensible booking that kept Brock really strong, let Reigns have his best singles (until the end I guess) match ever, and enabled a heel cash in and surprise champ without making him look either stupid or weak.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, and even with them mentioning the title during Fujinami's HoF induction I'm still amazed they mentioned Brock's IWGP reign, kudos to JBL on that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Good Listener posted:

I was confused why the nWo came out to help Sting other than "because they were also in WCW".

It actually makes sense for Nash, they were partners in the nWo face Wolfpac faction for much of 1998. Sting actually was in the nWo though never allies with Hogan and Nash

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HHH's entrance was fun in that goofy overblown Mania spectacle sorta way but last year's was cooler

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Six of the last eight Royal Rumble winners have now failed to win the top title at their respective WrestleManias.

All three G-1 winners have lost their Wrestle Kingdom title shots since that became one of the prizes the winner earned, and that's treated with a lot more importance than the Rumble.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

I was getting shades of Tommy Dreamer tbh

That was the exact analogy Dave used, and he thinks that may have been very intentional since Paul has a lot of say in laying out Brock's matches and is a fan of Reigns.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Authorman posted:

It's still way too far out to plot out a mania match, especially between two part timers that isn't going to be the main event nor a belt match. No one's going to remember this boring stall promo on a year. Sting was only first teased near summerslam and his showing up was somewhat of a big deal. Rock headlined mania three of the past five years. He's basically just another Jericho or Rvd at this point, although with a much more successful second career.

I can't imagine that rock hhh is their final goal with the rock this upcoming year. Who the gently caress cares about that, they fought plenty of times.

If they can actually get Ronda to be his partner in a mixed tag match against HHH and Steph (and Dave thinks it's a good possibility), that's by far the biggest main event match they could do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Under the vegetable posted:

I still don't get why Sting's mortal enemies came out to help Sting.

Nash actually makes perfect sense at least, people forget that Sting was an nWo member although aligned against Hall and Hogan. That's minor imo compared to Sting shaking HHH's hand after having no respect for him going in and only losing thanks to massive bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Under the vegetable posted:

If this music started playing and the nWo red and black came out with like Konnan hobbling down on his cane I would have marked like a child, but as it is I was just confused and waiting for them to betray Sting.

Yeah, that would've admittedly been cooler. Unfortunately Savage is dead, Konnan's booking the second biggest promotion on the continent, and Luger from what I've heard makes Hall look like the picture of perfect health. :smith:

• Locked thread