Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Entrance Exam

After meeting up with the 2 other core characters, Avan has to head out and pass the physical part of the test.

I haven't been updating at all on who voices who, but this is a good time to tell you that Rodriguez is voiced by John DeMaggio. Yes, he's a Valkyria Chronicles regular for some reason. I guess work was really hard to find before Adventure Time.

You will now form teams of three and participate in simulated combat. Answer when called. Cosette Coalhearth!

Y-Yes, sir!

Next is...Zeri!

Yes, sir.

Last up: Avan Hardins!

Smooth.

You are Team A!

But not the A Team, although we do get a tank later.

You bet! All set to go, Zeri?

Just my luck I get the two of you dumped on me.

Excuse me?! You care to repeat that, tough guy?

Pipe down, maggots! If you're ready to begin, step forward.

You won't be using live ammo here but a hit to the wrong spot can still kill.

Don't so dropping your guard just because this is a simulation.

As if! I've got Plans, and none of 'em involve dying here.

Hoo...I'm all nervous. I hope this goes well.

It's like my brother used to say. Er... Oh yeah! *flips through book*

"Envision the self you wish to be, then take action to become him."

All right, let's go, you two! Move out!

Okay!

Hmph.

So today we got the most common mission type, which is capturing bases for victory. The goal here is to capture the main enemy base. Losing is either everyone dying, our own main base captured, or 20 turns passing.

Avan and Zeri have different weapon types (Rifle and Machine Gun), but Cosette goes one step further and replaces grenades with a potion basically.

Now here's the first big change from the first game. Since this is on a PSP, large maps were replaced with multiple small maps connected by a waypoint (commonly certain bases).

Our mission is to simply capture the enemy base, but it's on a different map than what the trio started on. Having a unit stay within an owned base aura gives it much larger health regen that happens at the start of every turn.

The first part of this mission will involve capturing this base to access the 2nd map.

This is the 2nd map, and the orange indicator is a neon sign saying "capture me and you win!" Not important right now, but on much bigger maps it's a big deal to figure out the puzzle of reaching to it the fastest.

Another big and frankly terrible change is the severely low units you can have active per mission. Even though your roster will nearly have 20 people in it, you can only have 6 characters out of storage across all the maps during the mission. It's not even a technical problem because the third game bumps the max unit amount higher.

Anyways, Zeri will be the first to run up and try to turbo conquer the first map's base. The game's still at a point when my guys can tank point-blank hits like it's nothing.

Zeri can't go nearly as far as Avan since he's a Shocktrooper, but in exchange his weapon is much more powerful and defensively beefier in defense and HP. The machine gun fires a lot more bullets than the rifle, but has way worse accuracy as you can see with the orange reticule. Damage is is also distanced based for MGs, so don't think trying to snipe someone at max distance with a Shocktrooper.

Cosette here is going to run up and capture the base that Zeri cleared. You can't capture enemy bases if an enemy unit is near the flag, hence why Zeri had to unload a magazine into that student's head.

Now that the base is ours, this gives us access to the 2nd map and the usual functions of bases.

Another important change is how Standby works, and how it's integral to VC2's mission structure.

Standby removes the unit from the battle entirely, freeing up whatever current map's max is (3 here, 6 overall), and refilling that unit's health/ammo if deployed again after this turn. The strategy is to rotate in fresh characters once you capture a base to continue momentum without being burdened by low health/AP/ammo, etc.

However, keep in mind the enemy can always re-capture a base with the same rules applied. So don't be eager to standby immediately once you capture a new base, if any nearby enemies are in range to just hop over and steal it back.

With the base captured, the 2nd map can accessed by pressing the shoulder buttons to rotate in the new map. Don't worry about capturing the base on the other side, it's already under your control. That's when strategy comes in and capturing Gateway Camps with enemies on the other side can be surprise murdered (Though the same applies to you).

Anytime you see the arrows in the middle, you are in that base's aura range. You don't have to be directly on top of the flag to capture or go on standby.

Avan gets up and tries to murder the last student on the 1st map, but crouch defense is too strong for him as multiple headshots barely do half when normally it would kill.

So Avan pulls out the grenade via change weapon (Square button during Aim Mode) to blow up his cover.

Grenades are limited ammo, replenishing 1 every turn. They're flung over a short arc, don't explode until they land, and generally do good damage. They are mostly used to destroy sandbags or smoke out units hiding in the grass, but also useful if you're not confident in your unit's accuracy with the more evasive enemies later on.

But like I said, crouching gives defense against all damage so the student still lives what would've been fatal.

Avan retreats back to home base to protect capturing shenanigans, and secure a fast travel to the 2nd map if needed.

Now if this was a real mission instead of a tutorial, that Scout would run over and capture the unguarded Gateway Camp. That's why there's going to be a lot of units just sitting around and playing defense in the future.

Turn 2 rolls around, so I have Avan and Cosette go to Standby and pop out of the 2nd map Gateway Camp.

Popping out of a base eats up 1 CP (2 CP for most tanks), but is instantaneous unlike VC1 when you had to wait a turn after selecting from the reserves menu.

If a units lose all their HP, they can be touched by another ally unit and be able to re-deploy two turns later as if nothing happened.

But if an enemy touches your fallen unit instead or you don't revive within 3 turns, they are hospitalized and can't be used for the rest of the mission. A far less cruel fate than literally dying forever in VC1.

Engineer is Cosette's class. They are absolutely not an offensive class, with the worst HP, defense, and offense (Pistol is weak with bad range). However, they are the ultimate support class with healing (Square Button like grenades) and the ability to completely refill ammo by just nudging allies.

That said, not that great with such a small deployment limit and health/ammo not being an issue for the most part. Especially if you're trying to go for A ranks, which means wasting a CP just to heal is an incredible waste.

Anyways, Avan goes up to try and end the mission but gets ambushed by two enemy Scouts. That just mildly irritates him, so he pops the camper hiding behind the box.

Being shot about 20 times almost threatens Avan's health below half, but he's got the main enemy camp in sight.

Meanwhile, Zeri finishes off the 1st map's Shocktrooper because eh why not.

Cosette runs up since her AP is fresh and finishes off the other ambusher, with a rare kill opportunity.

Cosette and Avan are in position to win next turn, but you can see in the upper left that my morale went from 3 to 4 after Cosette's kill. That will be explained later.

Just like enemies, our units will start firing on any foes that run up to their direct line of vision. The Scout gets rocked by a barrage of bullets, even being tagged by Cosette's pistol which inflicts AP usage up.

Status afflictions are basically useless for us, fyi. Killing in one move is far better.

Avan jumps over sandbags by just pushing forward until he does the animation, but another dirty camper takes shots at him in the meantime.

But killing everyone is not today's goal, it's capturing that base. What Avan here will do is just nudge the grenade so the explosion pushes the enemy Shocktrooper out of the flag's range so he can capture it.

Welp

I tried

Nice! They got to let us in after that!

So...A rank was probably Zeri clearing the 1st base, Cosette capturing, and then sending Avan to run halfway into the 2nd map in the 1st turn. Yeah, gently caress that.

I have all three of you on Team A as having passed the written exam. Guess that means you're in.

Yay! I was so worried about the field exam. but we did it!

It's because you guys helped push me along.

No worries. Heh. the field exam was the only part I wasn't worried about.

What aptitude are they screening? Eh. guess we'll find out soon enough.

*later that day*

What does this thing tell you? I don't get it.

*After everyone takes the test*

I did it. Avon! I got placed as an engineer!

Is that what you wanted?

Yeah! I want to be a doctor, someday.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. What did you get, Zeri?

I placed as a shocktrooper. And you?

Okay, I guess this is a "clever" way of designating classes and letting Avan be the MyUnit/Avatar special character. On the other hand, shouldn't this take place before going into battle with set classes...?

Oh. does that mean you have an aptitude for all of them? That's amazing!

That, or an equal lack of aptitude for any of them.

Zeri is voiced by Crispin Freeman, if you needed a smug bar to judge.

You jerk! You gonna be like this all the time?

Don't you two start again! We all just made it in. Let's try to get along.

Yeah, I guess you're right. We're in this together now. guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2nb-rMXeY

What the gently caress was that, did they run out of time that day

I came here with a purpose. And I'll tell you now, it isn't to be around with clowns like you. I'm going to the headmaster's office now for my class Placement. *steps away*

...That was the worst misdirection yet.

Um... I kind of doubt it's because of his glasses.

Ooh. but I should head off now, too. I'll see you later, Avan. *walks off*

All right. Next stop, the headmaster's office.

Maybe I can set some info about Leon out of him while I'm there. It's worth a try, at least.

I WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN, NEXT

Zeri early sketches and clothing

Battle "highlights"'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsBDtNTQQv4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ahahahaha

One of our main characters is a loving engineer. We're off to a great start :allears:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

No you don't understand, the ability to repair tanks and remove landmines is a valuable contrihahahahahaha.

Also, assuming the map design is anything like 3, I can only imagine how quickly those deployment limits are going to get annoying and/or infuriating.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Next mission onwards pretty much for that.

I also didn't mind the crazy animeness as much as the dang grind. The anime can be tolerated, the grind makes itself insufferable :shepicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hearing that there's no permadeath makes me sad. How can I take this anime war seriously if there's no looming threat of imminent death?!? :saddowns:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Nick Buntline posted:

No you don't understand, the ability to repair tanks and remove landmines is a valuable contrihahahahahaha.

Also, assuming the map design is anything like 3, I can only imagine how quickly those deployment limits are going to get annoying and/or infuriating.

Yeah, about that...

VC2 was not kind to engineers. They lost their grenade, they have their own worse weapon instead of rifles, and... well. I don't know to what extent mechanics count as spoilers. They're really bad though!

Francis fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Internet Kraken posted:

Hearing that there's no permadeath makes me sad. How can I take this anime war seriously if there's no looming threat of imminent death?!? :saddowns:

Just laugh with Avan.

HaHA HaHAHAhaha.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

ahahahaha

One of our main characters is a loving engineer. We're off to a great start :allears:

That's good, right?

It means she can solve problems. Practical problems.

I'm pretty sure "More gun" is a good way to deal with the problem "The squad leader is stupid even by anime protagonist standards", right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chiasaur11 posted:

That's good, right?

It means she can solve problems. Practical problems.

I'm pretty sure "More gun" is a good way to deal with the problem "The squad leader is stupid even by anime protagonist standards", right?

Yeah but she's an anime engineer, and thus will solve problems with anime logic.

How do you win a war? Friendship! And if that don't work, use more friendship! :buddy:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think we're maybe a quarter in before everything's unlocked in terms of tutorial. There's a poo poo load more mechanics that the game will introduce, it's going to get bloated pretty fast.

As for Cosette, Engineers are straight up medics now. Anything other than "Heal me" or "Give me ammo" has been split up and regulated to other new classes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SSNeoman posted:

ahahahaha

I forgot, does she generate CP when deployed, like Alicia, Largo and Rosie first game?
I think they removed that, but I'm not so sure.

Nick Buntline posted:

The way the devs overestimate engineers is ridicolous. It could be worse, they could have implemented forced engineer mechanics (that actually matter, that is).
I mean, ok, any actual army is going to need support units. This is a game, I want to rip and tear, not deal with logistics.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you get the ability to make units generate CP when deployed later on

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There are only two unit types that matter in this game, and none of our characters, bar Avan technically, are either of them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Senerio posted:

There are only two unit types that matter in this game, and none of our characters, bar Avan technically, are either of them.

I'm gonna guess Scout and Sniper and/or Lancer.

Tank isn't a class :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Sniper and Tank?

Or Lancer?

No.

This game adds some new classes.

They are... fairly anime. I'll leave it at that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bard and ninja.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Senerio posted:

Aren't shocktroopers considered good this time around? The division into submaps means a scout can't traverse the whole battlefield in two activations (so they don't invalidate anything non-sniper by default), while small submaps allow shocktroopers to reach anything they need to kill in their first activation and cap a camp while they're at it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Senerio posted:

Let me guess - one of them is fencer?

Because that class is pretty awesome.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Cosette mewls "Sorry!" whenever she kills someone, despite being a soldier in soldier school in a war-torn country in 1937. The most anime.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Too bad the schools probably dry, im hoping for anime U. S. Grant

VC3 has an alcoholic ex-general as a unit, one of many ways in which it's better than this one. Unfortunately he has a tendency to abandon his turns half-way because he is wasted, so he isn't actually very good to use.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Inferior posted:

Cosette mewls "Sorry!" whenever she kills someone, despite being a soldier in soldier school in a war-torn country in 1937. The most anime.

She is a Medic (the game calls it engineer, but seriously, she's a Medic) for a reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bushido class? Ronin class?

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Oh man I played the hell outta this game. Can't wait for wacky high school war advenures!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just finished VC1 and was thinking of playing this- but the general consensus seems to be that VC3 is way better so I think I'll just watch this space instead.

Thanks OP!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

chiasaur11 posted:

No.

This game adds some new classes.

They are... fairly anime. I'll leave it at that.

Sailor Scout and Super Sayjin?

E: Seriously though I'm imaging some ultra heavy steampunk robot and melee weapons where firearms would be more appropriate.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 1, 2015

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Gridlocked posted:

Sailor Scout and Super Sayjin?

E: Seriously though I'm imaging some ultra heavy steampunk robot and melee weapons where firearms would be more appropriate.
I don't think the class is that bad in terms of sheer stupidity (Any attempt at realism was thrown the window right out around the time they decided to give heal sticks to engineers) , but your actually right about the melee weapons thing, belows a picture of the class

Side note: the pistols actually do more damage than riffles for some reason (but they are worse overall due their poor range and accuracy)

Also I'm going to guess the other class that actually matters is the AT Sniper because it seems to functionally replace the entire lancer tree

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, I understand what's going on in Gallia. How many people actually going to buy those revelations about the Darcsen and the Valkyrur? It really seems to convenient to be true.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Welcome to Class G

I stopped at the last point because there was a save prompt. Surely there's a boss fight or something important!

*Avan knocks on the door*

Avan Hardins, sir. I just passed the entrance exam.

Whoah, grandpa wants a hug real bad.

I am the headmaster here, Laurence Kluivert. It's nice to meet you, Avan.

Hmm. It seems your exam results place you in Class G. I hope you'll make the most of your time here at Lanseal, my boy.

Um...

Is there something else, son?

Leon was your...I see.

Leon was just a student here. How could he just so and die?

Your brother was a student of great promise, and a true patriot. He stood out amongst his peers in intelligence, strength, and leadership.

Hmm....

I'm afraid national security concerns prevent me from giving details...But just before his death, he was appointed to a special mission.

A special mission?

"I've been selected for a special mission. It's an honor and an opportunity."

That was his last letter. The next I heard was from that Brixham guy.

As I imagine you know. this is Gallia's only military academy, Avon. The students here study and train tirelessly to keep their nation safe. That was Leon's aim in accepting the mission that cost him his life as well. Sadly, that is all I can tell you. That, and that your arrival here...

Avan is still planning to dig out Leon's corpse after this.

Gallia's people are living in fear and anguish in the face of rebel atrocities. I pray you will grow to become a powerful force for justice, Avan.

Yes, sir. I'll do my best.

*after the meeting*

So I guess this is home, now. For my first crack at dorm living, it's not so bad!

Considering he gets his own room, yeah it's better than just about any college dorm at least.

Yaaaawn...Man, I'm bushed. Between that train ride and the exam. I'm gonna some sleep like a rock. Better get a good night's sleep in before classes start up tomorrow!

So sleeping ends the day, and prompts a save attempt. I really hate when games make you save, then you save like 3 minutes later after a short cutscene.

*The next morning*

Better be careful not to screw it up on day one. Leon, if you please...

Wait what

"Man is king of his realm until he gets overwhelmed. Take it all in slowly."

He's giving segways to a quotebook of his dead brother...to himself. Okay.

I just wish I knew more about what happened to you, Leon. I came here to find out, but so far it's all still a big blank.

But it's like you said. I'll take it slow and earn the headmaster's trust.

Maybe he'll tell me more about that mission once I've earned a rep. Now that that's settled. I'm stoked to get started! Next stop, Classroom G!

*A moment later*

Yes, Avan's portrait is literally running across the screen. And then actually doubles back onto the screen.

*Bell rings*

Who shows up late to class on the first day?! *finds student* Hey, buddy! Where's Class G's homeroom at?!

Class G? It's in the next building over.

Got it. Thanks, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SscNihK9UV4

I don't know why this was animated. Oh no, he's late but not really?

What a coincidence. I totally didn't see this coming.

Well, I woke up early so I wouldn't have to rush, then ate a good breakfast.

But then I was so full. I kind of nodded off. I got here just under the wire.

See, this is why I don't think Avan is that dumb. Because there are dumber.

*Someone steps up*

WHAT A COINCIDEN-ah, gently caress it

Oh hey, it's Zeri. What do mean what are we doing here? We got put in Class G.

What?! Ungh, of course I HAD to be placed with you.

Zeri knows what game plot logic is.

Oh, wow! Yay! I'm in Class G, too! All three of us are together!

*loud slam noise heard, crowd murmurs*

Whoa, is that coming from the classroom?

*Trio enters the classroom*

Me? I'm Avan Hardins. I'm in Class G, starting today.

Hmph. Another fine misfit for your pathetic little club.

Whoah, slow down there. There's too many cliches cratering at my face right now.

Your class is a sort of landfill for those with abysmal entrance scores.

Does that mean Zeri is dumb as Cosette

Hey, what's your deal?

It's the unalloyed truth. You haven't even produced a class chair. Your sustained presence at this academy shames me. You stain Lanseal's name!

Ngggrh!

*Crowd hesitates*

Hmph. Not a one. You see? Just as I said. Class G is a--

HERE!

What? O-Oh my! What AM I doing?! I just got so angry listening to her talk, my hand just shot up!

With my hand in it?!

Hmph. Ridiculous. It's painfully obvious that you don't have what it takes.

What? What's your problem, talking down to everybody like you own the place?

You want a class chair? Fine! I'll do it!

Please. You're barely fit to follow, let alone lead. That takes an elite.

*Zeri steps up*

What a tiresome word. There are few things more pathetic than the pedigree of a self-styled elite.

Zeri burning on this game and cliches. Which is a cliche in itself gently caress

*somebody walks in*

What's going on here? Even you lot don't usually make this much noise.

! Brixham!

Juluana! Is there a reason you've chosen to visit us today?

Professor Brixham... I was just on my way. *leaves*

*Bell rings*

All right, let's begin today's lesson, shall we?

I'm as surprised as you are. To see that you actually matriculated, even.

Just say enrolled, you fancy jerk

Now then, before we begin class, I'd like to introduce a few new students. This is Avan...Cosette...

Avan Hardins, guys. My hobbies include sleeping and eating! I'm glad to be here, and I'm sure we'll all get on great.

Those are not hobbies, goddamnit

It's worth mentioning that Avan here is Leon Hardin's younger brother.

*Crowd whispers among themselves, impressed*

The Scarlet Lion's brother has enlisted?

Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance.

What, you all knew him?

Leon was an exceptionally gifted cadet, making him something of a celebrity.

I'm Cosette Coalhearth. My hobby is... sewing, I guess? Anyway. hi!

I'm Zeri.

Hey, whoa, is that a Darcsen? What's up with that?

Oof, I don't want anyone bringing misfortune down on us here, dude.

Oh good, we racist up this scene already.

Avan will serve as class chair.

You seriously want me to do it? You think I can?

An ambivalent newcomer is a vast improvement.

Hubert Brixham: Motivational speaker extraordinaire

Isn't that kind of harsh? How does a teacher say that about his own class?!

It's the truth. Lanseal has no need for those cadets unwilling to try. Organizing and outfitting the squad for training exercises will be your job. You'll have to learn the ropes between classes. You set no special allowances.

Well all right! Fine, I'll do it!

You can start right now. The class needs a squad name.

Here at Lanseal, each class is also considered to be a single squad.

Okaaay? I don't really get it, but I can do names!

So I want a name for our ragtag garbage landfill group. The limit is 6 characters, and I want reasons. I don't just want a name, that's lazy. Sell me with propaganda, with reason cause this ain't a vote. This is persuasion, busta.

Cosette early sketches and clothing

wait...what does that sa-

HMM, THANK YOU VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2 FOR THAT INFORMATION

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Woah an update.

Edit: I like the animated still image cutscenes the game has since they're pretty good at using motion to imitate body language. Adds a bit more character and effectively replaces the in-engine animated cutscenes from Valkyria 1.

Lanseal being a prestigious military academy is pretty neat. It being the only one is kind of :crossarms: though since in the first game it's mentioned that Gallia has mandatory militia service in it. But I suppose the promising militiamen have to go somewhere to get into the proper army.

Oh boy school drama. With the character that stole Colette's boobs from her apparently. (It is good the design changed but it's still in the game dangit devs.)

Glazius posted:

Really, I understand what's going on in Gallia. How many people actually going to buy those revelations about the Darcsen and the Valkyrur? It really seems to convenient to be true.
Yeah it's kind of mentioned somewhat glibly here but prejudice, especially when it's lasted generations, isn't going away without a lot of time being spent doing so. Some traditions and values have an annoyingly high sociological inertia to them.

I mean it's been almost 50 years since Martin Luther King Jr. died and over 100 years for the Women's Suffrage movement but issues relating to the color of one's skin and gender still keep popping up. Two years is practically nothing for stuff like this.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 1, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The truth or falsehood of racist beliefs really doesn't matter to racists, yeah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
OP, why do you hate yourself enough to play VC2 more than once? :munch:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lanseal being a prestigious military academy is pretty neat. It being the only one is kind of :crossarms: though since in the first game it's mentioned that Gallia has mandatory militia service in it. But I suppose the promising militiamen have to go somewhere to get into the proper army.

This isn't quite right. They don't have mandatory service, military training is just part of normal schoolwork in high school and University. It's why Welkin in VC1 went straight to a squad-leading Lieutenant in the Militia - he was a University graduate and had military training as part of that. It also kinda makes a dedicated military academy completely goddamn pointless.

Internet Kraken posted:

So SquadG is filled with underachieving misfits with no drive or ambition to speak of? The G must stand for Goons.

Seconding Goon Squad. We'll piss everyone else off by being infuriatingly competent at their games.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 1, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So Class G is filled with underachieving misfits with no drive or ambition to speak of? The G must stand for Goons.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 1, 2015

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

The Leon squad. Avan worships the ground Leon is buried under, so of course he would name it after him. Also, everybody else was in awe of him, so his name could boost morale.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Goon Squad
We're underachievers who will help each other out! And any time we execute a plan, you have an excuse to use the :goon: emote!

But yes this is really loving stupid. At least Zeri had the balls to stand up to the bitchy rich lady.

quote:

:10bux: says that they added this little nugget back in for VC:D :shepface:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 1, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So the military academy isn't just the intro, is it? We're going to spend the Civil War in Anime High School, aren't we?

E: On board with Cliche squad. We'll be the most boring soldiers in the whole march to the sea! :patriot:

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 1, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't quite right. They don't have mandatory service, military training is just part of normal schoolwork in high school and University. It's why Welkin in VC1 went straight to a squad-leading Lieutenant in the Militia - he was a University graduate and had military training as part of that. It also kinda makes a dedicated military academy completely goddamn pointless.
Ah yes that's right. Pretty sure it's required curriculum too, not just a normal part of schoolwork (dedicated credits and all that required for graduation.)

Speaking of Squad names I suggest Cliche Squad because that is the essence, nay the very soul of our class!
Just in this intro alone we have the hot-blooded protagonist, the ditzy love interest and the overachieving loner. We will not settle for just those three! There are entirely too many groanworthy personalities that we can and will employ to crushbefriend our enemies with maximum forceschool spirit! We will bring juvenile humiliation to our nemeses and see that they have decent conversations with us! And at the end of the term when we stand as the pinnacle of this academy we shall walk into the sunset as well-adjusted (if still anime) adults!
:patriot:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, they do also have a professional military. Or did before most of it got wiped out in VC1. Of course what they probably really need is an institution for higher-level officers, rather than gifting important
positions to people unqualified for it just because they are from the nobility...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm wondering why no one has pointed out Goon Squad, sponsored by Something-Awful.com.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anything that doesn't have the word goon in it, is my vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OddObserver posted:

Well, they do also have a professional military. Or did before most of it got wiped out in VC1. Of course what they probably really need is an institution for higher-level officers, rather than gifting important
positions to people unqualified for it just because they are from the nobility...

From what can be gathered, officer stuff is part of the normal University courses. I actually mentioned that regarding Welkin :v:. The actual Military is anyone voluntarily joining, they just already have the basic training. The Militia was anyone drafted or who volunteered to join the war effort, and it was actually one of the few times it made sense as to why you got teenagers in your anime warzone.

• Locked thread