Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

Too bad the schools probably dry, im hoping for anime U. S. Grant

VC3 has an alcoholic ex-general as a unit, one of many ways in which it's better than this one. Unfortunately he has a tendency to abandon his turns half-way because he is wasted, so he isn't actually very good to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't quite right. They don't have mandatory service, military training is just part of normal schoolwork in high school and University. It's why Welkin in VC1 went straight to a squad-leading Lieutenant in the Militia - he was a University graduate and had military training as part of that. It also kinda makes a dedicated military academy completely goddamn pointless.

Well, they do also have a professional military. Or did before most of it got wiped out in VC1. Of course what they probably really need is an institution for higher-level officers, rather than gifting important
positions to people unqualified for it just because they are from the nobility...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

From what can be gathered, officer stuff is part of the normal University courses. I actually mentioned that regarding Welkin :v:. The actual Military is anyone voluntarily joining, they just already have the basic training. The Militia was anyone drafted or who volunteered to join the war effort, and it was actually one of the few times it made sense as to why you got teenagers in your anime warzone.

Well, my guess/interpretation was that the university/school stuff would be good enough for someone you would use in emergency, but a full-time junior officer would likely spend more
time on military education/training. Perhaps there is an official explanation somewhere, 'cause your take is also eminently reasonable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BioMe posted:

Spoilers, I'm pretty sure no one in this military academy actually graduates into the military. Apparently offscreen they are also studying everything between running small business, medicine and art.

VC3 main character does (though that's before this game happens).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

They changed it back to vc1 style. Only difference from that is that everyone can class change, and those classes only have 2 tiers promotion. Much more simplified. Also have like 20 pages of tutorial still to go :suicide:

They didn't quite go back, though, since in VC3 promotion requires per-character EXP, which is totally opaque, too, rather than just leveling up the entire class VC1 had. It's still way better than 2, of course, since you can basically just use a character and they'll level up, eventually, rather than having to grind specific missions for specific drops.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... But the basic tank turret already has 3 weapons? Or is there one for APCs?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They can't seem to make up their mind whether it's the oldest academy or the only one (in which case, what point is there in technically correct labelling as oldest? Unless they mean there wasn't an older one that got closed or something).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I remember VC1 had like 1 scene that humanized the Imperial Not-zis where you see a regular soldier with his mask off not spouting something cartoonishly evil. It's fairly early in the game and I thought it might become a running theme but they promptly dropped it. I continued to remorselessly murder scores of faceless mute mooks for like the entire game after that.

The game even gives you medals (and Steam achievements) for killing 250, 500 and 1000.

Also I think 3rd Company for Avan's brother is supposed to be 3rd Regiment --- VC3 has some cameos of him as member of 3rd Regiment Squad 4, so he blew up more tanks than anyone in Squad 7.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I have forgotten multiple times that the two characters in that screenshot are supposed to be different people.

They may be both Darcsen nerds, but one is a meek nerd that's bad at combat (and Engineer), while the other is stoic badass nerd (especially if made into fencer).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

We killed 90% of the rebels in the first 3 turns. We hosed around, crawling in grass to find that last soldier afterwards.

Remember that order to scout a map you made fun of earlier? ;-)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Poil posted:

Well, there was a small development from Valkyria-chan (can't remember her name). Learning the joy of being an anime high school student. Of sorts...

Nice outfit Zeri. :thumbsup:

Aliasse, which is sort of amusing in context of first game. And yeah, pointing out how messed up her up bringing is is clearly a core part of the story. That bit with Juliana... Not so much.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
IIRC the prince has some pretty nice voice clips.

Also, yeah, what were they thinking with the class balance here --- even the leveling system acknowledges Engineers are the most niche use class, yet they pile them on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

Basically, machine guns cannot be aimed. They will always do a sweep from left of the screen to the right (or right to left?), and generally kill nothing. So... kinda like a Fencer except a quarter as strong and no defense.

Yeah, where the fencer will basically kill everythung in that arc that doesn't duck or is a boss in 1 hit, cover or no cover, while gunner will give them light wounds. (They are far more mobile though)

And actually they don't always fire in an arc. They fire in a straight line as support fire. That hurts a lot to be on receiving end of --- but it doesn't seem worthwhile to set up since that still leaves them pretty ineffectual first turn, when some things can be killed in 1 turn even with engineers, and where scouts and shocktroopers also have grenades[1].

[1] A huge advantage the player has is that the AI almost never uses grenades. Of course, that's counterweighted by the AI generally having far more units.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The whole "let's make her a victim character" bit makes me even more glad that I was fond of using Mischlitt for boss-killing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Defusing the bomb is a metaphor for accepting the death of her parents. It's all very deep.

No, it's just mandatory skill for Japanese video game doctors!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

We don't know specifically WHY the rebels suddenly lost the capital despite having the only aircraft in the country and tons of V2's that annihilate armies and tanks by themselves.

One could speculate that the previous month's op to cut their supply routes helped (can't use V2s w/o fueling up the trucks), but yeah, the timing here is wonky.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Jesus the guys in charge of character design were massive creeplords.

It really can't be said enough.

I was going to say they did a good job on Cordelia, though, but then I read the artist notes and apparently the good design came out when the artist was trying to
come up with something bad to sell his preferred idea in comparison...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mycot posted:

I was flipflopping on whether Mr. New Game Plus would be Leon or not. Mostly on whether the game would ignore the paradox of fighting Dirk. I guess this is close enough?

From peeking you can get Juliana if you grind far.more than reasonable. No idea how that interacts with her dying.

• Locked thread