Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think it's more that they are in dire need of professional soldiers, the last war killed a large portion and there is a civil war on, they can't be all that picky about who they accept. A trained soldier is better than a farmer who knows which end is which on the gun, even if they wouldn't be the best soldier in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does terrain slow down tanks? Isn't the whole point of treads to allow a vehicle to traverse across all kinds of uneven terrain relatively unimpeded? This is an open invitation for some war guru to go ahead and tell me how I'm completely wrong.

Yes and no, treads aren't as effected by bad terrain as heavy wheeled vehicles but they are still slowed. I assume the APC isn't as effected by bad terrain by using high ground clearance, wide tyres and being almost half the weight.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think part of the reason we aren't seeing many rebel fights is that most of them would be finished before they would get there. Most fights would probably only last a few hours and by the time Class G got there either the rebels would have been scared off/all killed or would have convinced the locals to comply. Which in a non-trivial number of cases wouldn't have been accompanied by a fight, a number of villages would have been more than happy to join, or would rather join and pay lip service than risk their lives resisting. The ones that do resist on the other hand would under most circumstances have the numbers advantage, a roughly equivalent level of weaponry and tactics and can take up positions the rebels can't, unless the rebels have a tank or use a disproportionate number of their forces the village should win the fight. Which if the rebel party is just a few blokes they'll high-tail it the moment it becomes apparent that the village will resist.
Another reason why only one is shown is that there are other battles, they just aren't shown because they aren't interesting, a map where it's two scouts hiding in some bushes isn't too interesting so it isn't shown, only the important ones (the one where the rebels had a tank) are actually shown.
Finally this is Class G we are talking about, they probably aren't sent out on the interesting battles, they are more likely to be tasked with guard duty, providing a military presence (which is why there are so many missions there, to show the locals they are here to protect them, scaring the rebels away and being there if the rebels attack) or battles where victory is a forgone conclusion.

Yes I enjoy over-thinking anime games filled with plot holes, how did you know?

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
The only game that I can think of that does anything to portray "War is Hell" might be Spec Ops: The Line... but even then...

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
It's not like JRPGs are the only case of major pandering to a specific demographic, let us not forget the amount of western "Modern Military Shooter" games (it took some self control to not use Yahtzee's name for the genre) that panders to the right wing nutjobs that fear anyone who isn't a white American. Not that it makes it good, just, try not to write off a whole nation because there is pandering to a demographic within a number of their games.

As for the other current major talking point: my hypothesis is that it is due to how they feel they should show their love, most people agree that for Storge love, wanting to protect them is a logical response, separately wanting to protect those you love in an Eros fashion also makes sense. The issue may be that he is conflating the two. Tis but a hypothesis though, and it has been shown that the writers put most of their though into how large each character's bust size should be but, well I like hypothesizing and playing devils advocate.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Wait, isn't colorblindness something that excludes one from service, like asthma or flat feet, or is that just exclusion from a draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think it is more that caring about people means she risks herself to save people who aren't of equivalent value, a Valkyrur can destroy a small arm with little difficulty, she is likely to be more valuable than a large portion of the military, additionally the only thing a Valkyrur needs to worry about are other Valkyrurs, so a conventional army would be useless in the only case where Alliase's victory isn't guaranteed. She needs to be able to do what is needed to win the war, if it means letting her support team be slaughtered then so be it.
As noble as dying to save others is all it will result in is you being dead and the enemy being closer to winning.

• Locked thread