Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student

Gridlocked posted:

Sailor Scout and Super Sayjin?

E: Seriously though I'm imaging some ultra heavy steampunk robot and melee weapons where firearms would be more appropriate.
I don't think the class is that bad in terms of sheer stupidity (Any attempt at realism was thrown the window right out around the time they decided to give heal sticks to engineers) , but your actually right about the melee weapons thing, belows a picture of the class

Side note: the pistols actually do more damage than riffles for some reason (but they are worse overall due their poor range and accuracy)

Also I'm going to guess the other class that actually matters is the AT Sniper because it seems to functionally replace the entire lancer tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

I got to respect that art book, at least it's honest behinds it's intention of it's characters design.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Question time: Are those anthem classes the engineers have any good? From what I've heard it's effects are AOE so if any of the buffs are actually worthwhile, it might be somewhat useful on the first turn when your units are cluttered together (then retreating back to base probably)

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tae posted:

Oh no, Cosette actually becomes one of the worst characters as the game progresses because she will gain a Potential that makes her lose a turn if a single bullet hits her.

Doesn't she later replace that potentional with one that lets her move again after another plot point.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Strange question for the purpose of other people's potentials does Alexis count as a male or female?

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

I still think that theses writers aren't *that* bad, it feels like they were two groups and one told to write about the drama of high schoolers and the other told write serious war drama, and they decided to awkwardly clump them together. If the game wrote decided to go all serious war drama dealing with the youth and going into war drama, like this Cossette drama here is actually somewhat competently written if it didn't contrast with the classmate missions whole heartily it could have worked. Heck if it went Advance Wars "war is fun" kind of route, with the cut out characters it be at least tonally consistent and not too cringe worthy. Actually if the game put all the classmate anime drama stuff for the first part of the game, then evolving into a more serious game after that point, with character development focusing on the effects of war particularly with dealing youth having to be soldier, it honestly probably fail the depth it go for but we could give it credit for a good vision at least.

Clarste posted:

Huh, so you don't even know that word is secretly longer word? How will you be able to judge exactly how cliche the plot is?

Actually they did actually do *one* thing that somewhat surprised me during the plot, but more in the "I should have seen it coming, but I didn't" category.

Also I'm gonna give them a break on the whole colorblindness thing in that her colorblindness probably isn't an actual issue with her eye but some bizarre reaction to emotional trauma that's giving her colorblindness somehow (the closest thing I can actually find is Cerebral achromatopsia buts thats only caused by physical trauma or illness as far as I can tell).

The thing I want to know is how she got into the academy, shouldn't they have a colorblindness test.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 26, 2015

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tae posted:

Cosette isn't even a great healer, when Avan currently can heal as an Armor Tech Vet and has the 2nd highest defense with the highest HP. Also healing is useless when the one good CP costs only 1 to restore health.

Speaking of Orders

Why the hell would I ever use this.

I'm going to guess it might be useful for using statuses to defeat enemies that are far too powerful for you to take on normally, but that gives to much credit to the game for making bosses that require creativity to figure out how to beat.

Increasing chance of status for 2 CP, did the game designers not understand that you need actually tanky enemies that take a bunch of hits to make status's worthwhile, or like enemies that 1HKO everybody? Honestly if a 2 CP command made it so that for the turn all units inflict every status effect on an enemy when they hit them, it might not but worse it even then.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 26, 2015

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

paragon1 posted:

whooo! So are the Engineers just frontloaded or do they actually give more of them to you than any other class total?

Front loaded
Not including bonus characters you get Avan (who can be any class),1 tank, 7 scouts, 7 shocktroopers, 6 Lancers, 7 engineers, and 6 armor techs

Including bonus characters engineers are probably the least common class

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

This was a really dumb university if they chose to make anyoneVicky an Engineer.

To be fair, if the game was remotely realistic about the damage one takes by gunfire, someone running around with a magical healstick, that can instantly heal almost any wounds taken would be amazingly useful.

I also think Engineers wouldn't be THAT bad if the game actually had maps that required you to be on the defensive or at least maps that last long enough that units took significant damage, and possibly limited the total amount of units you could deploy total.

Also has no one pointed how stupid it is that a military operation would have ANYONE use a freaking pistol. Don't get me wrong pistols have plenty of use, but it's benefits (light and easy to conceal) are completely mitigated in a war situation for anyone that would actually be in front line combat.

However that's no excuse to use someone who clearly is opposed to healing people as a role that requires specialization in healing; since no one but engineers (and that one tech class) can use the heal sticks, I imagine that using those things require some high level of training or you would just give them to everyone (or have them swap hands if they use rare material); wouldn't it make more sense to train her as a shocktrooper or something and if you MUST have another engineer perhaps training someone like um... IDK Lotte? as an engineer

weso12 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 10, 2015

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Tae posted:

If units didn't heal automatically at the start of the turn, and basically full HP every time if they're in/near a base, they might be useful. The main problem with Engineers is that they carry no grenades for whatever reason, and healing takes up a turn. Healing should be a secondary action like cleaning up mines, it's dumb in a game they purposely made ranking a speed-only thing for 3 games now.

If had to guess why they don't have grenades: It's likely because they only have slots for two secondary items and Athems and Melodist use both and they want to have engineers to lose grenades when promoting; the easily solution would to be allow three secondary items but that would probably requires effort, and we know how much the game designers put towards this game.

About the whole Healing as a minor action; yes that would be a smart game design decision for a game that encourages efficentcy all most exclusively, I'm guessing this one of those cases were the game designers simply didn't think of that and after all most other strategy games with healing make it a standard action (i.e. fire emblem, final fantasy tactics, etc.) and decided making it a standard action made sense without a second thought (what they didn't realize is that in those games healing is needed to survive the entire map, and alternate ways of healing are rare, impractical or also require a standard action, don't typically focus on efficentcy exclusively, and often have harsh penalties for units being Ko'd (like perma-death a.k.a. having to restart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

To be fair it was kind of implied that her color blindness wasn't actually a physical issue (as in the rods in her eyes are fine), rather some weird mental issue caused by trauma

So her being cured of colorblindness like that is very slightly less bullshit

Though the fact colorblindness that exists that way is bullshit.

weso12 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 14, 2015

• Locked thread