Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Centripetal Horse posted:

Why does Croatia seem to be so crippled? Some of the stuff Fatbeard says makes Croatia sound like a mildly dystopian future-city. Slovenia has less than half Croatia's population, but only a 25% smaller GDP. Croatia has 60% higher unemployment than Slovenia, and 50% more of its population living below the poverty line. Slovenia has more than twice the exports of Croatia dollar-wise. Their histories are pretty intertwined. What has Slovenia been doing differently?
Since both countries had lovely corrupted governments after the breakup of Yugoslavia, I guess you can blame it on the war and culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

That show is untranslatable.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

You are correct, Zagreb has little to nothing to offer, unless you're interested in urban decay and (decaying) brutalist architecture. Every summer I'm seeing foreign tourists walking around with their maps and backpacks and stuff, and literally all of them look lost and disappointed. I always get this urge to apologize to them for coming to Zagreb.
Come on, it's not that bad. Have you not visited the city centre in years?

Although one thing that Croats are the champions of is negative thinking and incessant self criticism. So, eh I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

The center and upper city have a nice atmosphere, there's a bunch of parks, abandoned mom&pop stores are now hipster crafty places and graffiti are a pretty normal occurence in many places in the world and contrary to your description it is much much cleaner than even most of the bigger cities in the west. You're looking at it through a very negative lense.

Living in the centre isn't the same as tourists that visit some place, it's not like they'll go actively searching for lovely spots. Hell I wouldn't want to live in the center either, but more because of noise than anything. It's really not nearly as bad as you think, living in some place and the negativity that surrounds you can really make you lose the perspective though, so I understand.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

You can use German amazon just fine, they even have an English version.