Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Fuuuck. I'm broke. Spent the last $4 on a pack of cigs which I burned off a few hours ago. Then my friend brought me more cigs which I'm smoking now but I'm out of beer GODDAMNIT.

What happened is that one of my tenants hasn't paid his rent this month (haven't seen this one coming, really) and I ended up having to live on $200 for the past month, the most of which was wisely invested in beer and smokes. Haven't paid any of the utilities and the power company is getting real antsy about my $300 debt for some reason (I'm only about two months late)

So this is the prologue. I need to tell you more stuff tho.

I thought that hey, maybe I could use the ole "get a job you loser" rationale and I went out and got a loving job.

Was supposed to start working a week ago.

However.

I got high as a kite on biperiden the night before (it's a deliriant, think "Ambien the Unholy") and wrecked my poo poo real good. I consumed a heroic amount of pills, lost my mind and started ingesting every chemical in the apartment I could lay my paws upon. I ate all of my antidepressants but ended up chewing them, and, noticing they taste bad, spit them out the apartment window and onto the downstairs people's laundry.

At one point I accidentally some dish soap. This resulted in violent puking and not much later, a foamy poop volcano.

I passed out in a pool of puke at this point. The puke has soaked into the hardwood floor and now the apartment smells like a filthy litterbox containing cat chunks and rotting watermelon. I mopped the floor this afternoon but the whole place still stinks. I may have puked in a mystery location so in the morning imma get on all fours and search for more puke.

Now, what happened is that I poo poo my pants on the day I was supposed to start working (at a paper mill), and the lady from the factory was not impressed when I told her what happened - it was one of those moronically honest moments when you start talking about puke (and soap) to a random stranger.

I had essentially fired myself right on the spot, without even having to leave my place. This is basement dwelling 2.0.

Now I need to find $300 so I won't be disconnected from the Internet due to a profound lack of electricity. Any ideas (preferrably something that doesn't involve a lot of work, such as leaving my room etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Whats your height and weight or is this a capy paste

Sadly not a copypasta. I'm off meds though, I think it kinda shows.

I'm one of those freakishly hairy/lanky dweebs. The gay stuff is not realistic as I'd probably have to pay someone to pound my rear end.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Hummingbirds posted:

Yeah. For context, this guy had cancer and was addicted to pain medication and also is mentally ill. And he posted a video of his apartment once and afaik it was in a state of squalor. OP if I'm wrong please correct

Correct, but I need to add a few things: the squalid apartment was sold two years ago and I moved into a reasonable studio (where I had a showdown with roaches) and I'm actually a pretty well-behaved, Ulillilliac psych patient (save for an occasional soap chimpout) and I kicked most of my addictions, leaving only cigs and beer to a lesser extent.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Well the guy from the apt called me up this morning (at 5:30) and gave me 100 euros which is half the rent and said that hes gonna give me the rest in a few days. Even better, tommorrow I'm ostensibly getting some money from my sketchy friend who lives next door. Not sure how much hes gonna fork over but at this point I need every coin to make ends meet.

How do I not burn this money on beer&cigs in the following days? Now that's something to think about.

The source of the stink was my nylon vest which wasn't washed since 2009. Got some puke on that fucker so I guess it's going down!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

ediment posted:

Biperiden is nothing like ambien.

Get your facts straight before you do drugs, human being.

In sense that smaller amounts produce an intense orgasmic high and if (when) you go overboard it causes you to lose your mind and do strikingly stupid things you'll have no recollection of, then yes, biperiden is strikingly similar to zolpidem.

My old apartment was affectionatelly known as "the crack den" and the new one is located in the "roach tower" but maybe I should call it biperi-den.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Now, if you own a 2-flat and the downstairs people are your tenants and you spit your antidepressants onto their laundry AND this happens to be the tenant late on rent owed to you,

The concept of "downstairs" is relatively moot in the place where my flats are located. (posting a 1969 rock music video instead of hurling moldy potatoes out of my window to show you how high up I'm living)
I have nothing with the downstairs people, they're just moderately unfortunate that a lit ciggy-butt flicker moved into a flat above them.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Zombie Boat posted:

Op I say go with this pickle deal. I'll explain why.

Yeah let me get the jack and roll up a pallet of pickles into the studio :jerkbag:

I don't even like pickles all that much. A few slices in the burger are okay, but pigging out on a gallon jar of pickles? Nuoh my god.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Lux Saturnine posted:

Fatbeard eat the pickles. It's your only hope.

Come to think of it, another reason why I don't like pickles is that we had a pickle disaster in the warehouse where I used to work a few years back. The operator of a reach truck hosed up while hoisting up a pallet of pickles and the whole thing came tumbling down from like 50ft up in the air. Hundreds of pickle jars were broken and there were pickles everywhere, and the pallet itself was reduced to a mound of glass shards, pickles and funky pickle water. Nobody had the first idea what to do with the drat thing so it just sorta sat there in the warehouse for a week or so, by the time the whole thing worked up a horrible moldy pickle stink.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Ocean Book posted:

why not just clean it up. i mean a pallet of pickles is a lot but not some insurmountable obstacle

Writing off a whole pallet of pickles in a warehouse involves investigation and a lot of red tape. I'm not sure why the whole thing took so long but the stuff got moldy and then, and only then we got to throw it out. Guess who manned the shovel!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Update: I got the money!
I managed to sell a video card I didn't really need and I got the other half of rent for March from the tenant this afternoon. Things clicked together all of a sudden - now I have $450 at my disposal, and it's getting even better: the other kid is going to pay his rent any day now, and I'm also expecting around $800 in tax returns. The "problematic" tenant is going to pay the rent for April in the following few days, maybe he'll have to borrow money from his mom once again, who knows.

The essence of the problem with the tenant is that his boss isn't paying him out - getting a job in Croatia is easy enough, but actually getting paid for your work is a black art. The guy just got his paycheck for January (!!!) and he's telling me that the owner of the cafe where he's working is currently being sued by the state attorney for tax evasion, and that the case is probably going to get thrown out of court eventually due to the expiration/state of limitations.

If you're working in Croatia and not getting paid, there is literally noone you can complain to. Well, except maybe the state attorney, but the only thing you'll accomplish is that you'll get yourself fired and you'll never get to see the money your employer owes you. The juridical system is glacially slow and employers are very well aware of this, so the abuse of the system (and workers) is rampant.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I'm fuckin' done with deliriants. What happened last week taught me a big lesson and I won't do Biperiden anymore.

Before I delve into the disaster last week, let it be known that I managed to overpay the electricity - the bill was issued on a rough estimate of my consumption - noone had read out the meter during the past six months and I greatly reduced the consumption by getting rid of my gaming rig. As it turned out, now the power company owes me $100.

This is not the point of this post, however. I'm one of that guys who has a spectacularly bad track record with drugs yet continues to use them. I attribute this to my persistent inability to take my very own advice and also being a loving idiot. Biperiden almost got me killed last week and the fact that I wrecked my poo poo completely and utterly is only a tip of the iceberg.

So what happened? I procured a box of Biperiden and did a week-long binge. The subtle gotcha with this drug is that you're not supposed to redose after you stop being noticeably high, or else you're going to OD and push yourself into the delirium. This is, like, the first thing I would say to people trying this drug, I tried it time and time again yet I managed to completely ignore my own advice (chalk this up to my general stupidity.)

So I managed to OD and lose my mind in the process. The concept of time is extremely blurred so I'm going to make a bulleted list of the stupid poo poo I've done:

-Attempted (and failed) to brew coffee several times. I don't know what I did with it but it tasted terrible and was translucent. Soap coffee, again??

-At one point, I gave up on coffee and decided to cook dinner instead. I mistook a chair for a pot (!!!!!), put it on the stove with legs sticking up in the air and set it on fire. (!!!!) I remember being confused with the shape of my "pot", because it looked like a chair. I realized that yes, I must have happened upon a really strange looking pot so I just dumped rice over it while it was on fire and retreated to the living room to watch anime. At one point my animes became really difficult to see and I wondered why this happened, I soon realized that it was because the apartment was full of smoke. I rushed to the kitchen and put the fire out - I don't rememeber how I did it but I didn't use the extinguisher. The chair was a goner and there are still bits of soot and burnt upholstery stuck to the stove.

-The next thing I know, the kitchen is loving flooded. Being a master of multitasking, I was doing laundry while cooking the chair. I reckon that I must have lowered the draining hose to the floor for reasons unknown and the place flooded. I remember angrily mopping the floor for 30 minutes while not realizing that the washing machine is constantly feeding water to the floor.

-The salt shaker and some other tidbits went MIA. I found the salt shaker this afternoon... in the toolbox. Also there was a cigarette in the shoe cabinet - it was like finding a present from a drunk Santa! (yeah I smoked it with gusto)

-I remember thinking how the corner store manager was cool for letting me trade 26 empty beer bottles for a single full one. It didn't dawn on me, until much much later, that this meant that I had consumed at least 52 liters of beer during the past week. I have no idea how much is that in imperial gallons, but it's definitely "too much". My car had a gas tank that could contain less fluid.

At this point, things went from bad to worse. I left my apartment and went to the clinic for some incomprehensible reason. I have absolutely no recollection of the events that unfolded, but I was apparently tasered and kicked out at some point. I seem to have stolen someone's umbrella and dropped my wallet, jacket and a hat before returning home. When I got sober I rightfully freaked out about losing my wallet and I got all of my credit cards suspended. It wasn't until today that the security called me and told me that they found my wallet - they got the phone number from my psychiatrist and I'm going to receive a helluva pranging for that. Not that I don't deserve it, but heck.
Now I have all of my cards blocked but at least I have my ID. I'm glad I got the wallet back because it's brand new and made out of quality leather, it cost me fifty bucks... my dingy old bucket hat is gone forever though.

Also now I know that my wristwatch is piss-proof. I found it in the toilet bowl and I mistook it for a turd which just wouldn't flush. The watch is still working.

In all, gently caress gently caress gently caress. 3/10 probably wouldn't do it again.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Please do more drugs and also please show us photos of the stove because that's hilarious

Ashes and burnt/melted fake leather.

Also this:

This board is covering the fridge from heat of the adjacent stove. This is what happens when you take a skillet to cook something, but forget to put actual food in it and just get it red-hot on the fire. I removed the skillet from the stove and rested it on the fridge, and the skillet was so hot that it burned a black circle in the board.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

How did you become such an idiot? Please tell us where you went off the rails.

TBH, I was never "all there." I've been seeing psychiatrists and receiving medication since 1988. We can all conclude that all of these did me plenty good! :ironicat:
There is a strong line of batshittery running in my family. I literally never had a chance.

Bip Roberts posted:

I think you are finally starting to make good choices OP.

Yeah, haven't had a drink today. Yesterday I bought a 2L botlle of cat urine and I had to beef that up with another 2L bottle before even starting to feel tipsy.
I also had a shower today, which is a major accomplishment for a smelly freak like me! :D

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Before reading any of Sweaty Fatbeard's posts on SA I only had one reference point for Croatia, which was an old music teacher who visited family back there every few months and when he came back he would tell me, "Croatia loving sucks. It is the WORST. Everyone does every drug and everything is poo poo, and everyone is an rear end in a top hat. The government sucks and the people suck and I wish I would never set foot in that country again."

I guess he wasn't really exaggerating, Sweaty Fatbeard must fit right in.

Croatia is the Florida of EU. Drugs, bible thumping rednecks and nasty humid weather.

unterdude posted:

OP, what's your living situation like? Are you living by yourself? Any close friends or relatives nearby? While I understand that this situation is hilarious to goons, it takes a certain type of person to do things like this and then post publicly about it.

I'm living alone in a place that I own, so no worries about getting kicked out. I have some relatives and friends but I won't stoop to mooching off of them yet again - I'm expecting a tax return these days and I'll finally be able to splash the cash and return what I've borrowed. Can you elaborate on the "certain type of person" thing?

if he couldnt keep a job where acceptable business practices were things like "leave spilled pickle pallet rotting for months on the floor" then im not sure any job is suitable for him, he should really just double down and start dealing drugs

I worked there for over two years and was laid off as a part of a employee shakeout when W accidentally the whole economy. I was a janitor. Good times. Also the pickles were on the floor for only like a week or so - SOMEONE has to pay for all those pickles and the company had to do an official investigation as to why the accident happened. This was done in order to appease the insurance company, because "oops a pallet tipped over gib monies pl0x" obviously wouldn't cut it.

SybilVimes posted:

Your not called Marijan are you, op?

No, but I do know who you're talking about. I used to know a guy eerily similar to him, he and I were involved in a juicy love triangle on 90s IRC; two lusers and a hot 80 year old Chinese man in panties.

Drugs are not the problem at this point, booze is. Back in my Suboxone days I honestly never imagined that a simple beer bottle would've become my biggest enemy.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

you have to really have a problem with being sober to resort to abusing deleriants. they're not fun physically or mentally and mostly just serve to distract you from depression/make life somewhat more interesting. work on fixing those and i guarantee you the deleriant problem will go away because they are literally the worst drugs

Ehh, there is a subtle gotcha about Biperiden. It's true that this drug is a deliriant, but if you take a right dosage - above the therapeutic level but below the deliriant freakout level - it causes a massive dopamine discharge in your brain and it is this dopamine that gets you high. Anywhere from 8 to 12mg is a sweet spot. The problem with this is, that your junkie brain inevitably goes "I want to get even higher" sometime around the 2-hour mark into your trip, you pop more biperiden but instead of getting higher - all available dopamine is already circulating your body - you just push yourself into the delirium and THEN you start wrecking poo poo left and right. It's eerily similar to Ambien walrus stories.
The fact that Biperiden takes ~45 minutes to kick in doesn't help either. When you're already all tipsy and giddy, it's incredibly easy to eat the pills from the whole box. This is not dangerous medically, but you'll be in such a state that you'll inevitably cause a lot of property damage and subsequent embarrassment.
Even worse, you'll still be tripping even after you stop being noticeably 'high' - I've caused more property damage during afterglow than during the trip itself.

The worst outcome from using drugs, for me at least, was when I drank 1L of rakia chased down with 1L of beer and then smoking a joint. I was so blasted that I slipped on the ice and planted my face into the pavement, ripping my brow open, body slamming into an old woman who was a passer-by, falling into an iced-over fountain before puking my guts out on the bus and then sitting on the bus' doors, refusing to move to have the doors closed. I caused a shitload of embarrassment thought I have very little recollections of the incident - most of this had to be told to me by my hapless friends (who let me get so impossibly blasted in the first place - hey I was 18 at the time, what did I know?)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I have some updates.

1) I still haven't got any money from the tenant. Nor the tax return yet. Not everything is bad though; the tenant found a much better job in an upscale café bar and he's starting a week from now. From now on, his salary will be paid on time, but he won't see any money before July when he'll get his first paycheck. Till then, we'll have to make do with what little money we're getting from friends and family. Neither he nor I are used to living on borrowed money. It's extremely embarrassing to us.
The other tenant is working for the same company (it's a chain of cafes) and he told me that his salary was never late. Hurray I guess?

2) I have a new neighbor in the Roach Tower, and he's a stoner hippie. A few days ago he invited me over to his apartment for some rakia and he even sang me a song, accompanied by acoustic guitar. He seriously thought that I'd complain about the noise - the Roach tower is built pretty darn well and I honestly wouldn't have known about his music if he hadn't played in front of me.
I gave him some money for 1KG of tobacco, because rolling your own cigs is a Thing in Croatia - it's much cheaper than bank-busting factory made cigs and I need to pinch every penny at this point.

3) I told my psychiatrist about the little "problem" I'm having with booze, and she grew indignant on me and said that I should be paying for cancer treatment out of my own pocket. Since my posts inevitably get reposted in the GBS TCC megathread, now is the good time to mention the old Stigma about drugs. My shrink doesn't even know about my drug usage and I may or may not have used the "booze" as an euphemism for mindfucking drugs. Anyways, she recommended rehab and I agreed. I haven't had a drink for over a week and I'm jonesing to high hell.

With the poo poo luck I'm having lately, I'll probably get my tax returns couple of weeks from now... when it won't matter much anymore. Also this month I'll be getting my regular onco checkup. Had a MRI scan last week and I'm getting results tomorrow... I'm sorta antsy about this.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

oTHi posted:

How much is 1kg of tobacco? That seems like an incredibly poor choice of purchase for someone having to borrow money from family/friends.

That is six weeks of heavy chain smoking for $18 - a bargain. A regular pack of cigs costs $3 and when I'm in the right mood, I can polish off two packs a day.
At this time, until I get this tobacco, I have no option but to bum on the bus station. I pretend to be waiting for the bus and "incidentally" kindly ask people if they could spare a cig until the bus comes. If your pro-bum shtick is nice enough, there is an 80% chance that you'll get your cig for free.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Warren Zevon posted:

Wow! Yet again your faith in humanity and your tenant allows someone to not pay you.

Well, the kid is only a month late with his rent. I'm not gonna go Hitler on his rear end over $200.
He's been at my place for about eight months now and he has a pretty solid track record - this is in fact the first time he's been decidedly late with rent - and it's outta his hands anyway since he didn't get paid for his work at the cafe.

I am not going to allow this to spiral out of control like I did with Dad the dad tenant from over a year ago.

By the way, I'm using drugs but all of those are prescribed to me - it could be said that I'm using my scripts creatively. In fact I have a script for joose but I'm not using it since loving around with benzos can be pretty dangerous, especially since I can't be trusted around pills.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Update: My new friend didn't screw me over! Tobacco is very much here, I'm gonna split up these fishy looking bags into smaller baggies, seal them and stuff the freezer with them. I'm more worried about my tobacco losing moisture than the thing catching mold (I was once stuck with a pound of moldy tobacco... smoking the fucker was not very pleasant.) The apartment now smells like nice fresh tobacco, and the stuff I got is really good, I dare say better than factory cigs.

And for the naysayers who don't believe I have cancer, here are some MRI pictures from the penultimate scan:

Yesterday I got the results from the latest MRI scan, and the news are really reassuring: No new mets, the highlited lymph node hasn't grown at all; it's either dormant or dead altogether. FFS I am cured. :toot:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

An update!

The kid paid his rent, he still hadn't gotten his first paycheck yet, the money I got was borrowed and it was issued in Swiss francs for some reason. Nevermind, the money I got covered ALL of my bills and I was even left with something like $80. Since I'm a pretty frugal dude, this money will last me a LONG time - I have stockpiles of food in my apartment and this $80 will go towards pizza and beer.

The kid gave me a baggy of beans because he knows I'm a bean freak. And I even got a hug for being patient and not going Hitler on his rear end.

I celebrated the occasion with a little bit of Biperiden (oh yeah, I'm at it again). This time nothing dramatic happened - I didn't OD but I apparently did some sleepwalking around the flat, and I remember giving a lecture on building methods and concrete to some mysterious entity which would disappear behind my back mid-sentence. I remember speaking in English to my space visitor, and when he'd disappear, I would look around the apartment for him, only to realize that there wasn't anyone in the apartment in the first place and that I'm talking to myself like an idiot. Then I'd retire to bed to sleep it off because I was actually aware that I'm high as gently caress only to get up 15 minutes later and repeat the whole escapade.

That was the good news. The bad news is that I might get sued over the "crack den" apartment I sold two years ago to a guy named Nicholas. A few days ago he accused ME of tampering with the electricity meter - the seal on the fusebox has been tampered with and he accused me of stealing electricity. He also told me that I have to pay him 5000€ or I'm gonna get sued. This number was quite obviously pulled out of his rear end so I got high and went to the police to report what was a textbook example of extortion. The inspector told me that Nicholas is completely full of poo poo and that I owe him nothing - ESPECIALLY since two years have passed since I left the Crackden and anyone, and I mean anyone could have tampered with the meter during my absence. Besides, if your intent is to steal electricity, tampering with the seal on the meter is absolutely the last thing you need to do.
When I told him that I got the cops involved, Nicholas had a sudden change of heart and he said that "we'll work out something".

Nicholas has absolutely nothing on me. The most probable explanation is that the construction workers Nicholas hired accidentally damaged the seal. This sounds a lot like the telephone incident in the apartment I bought in 2009 - there was a working landline phone in the apartment and some of the workers apparently called one of those "fortune telling" hotlines and racked up a $450 bill. I couldn't prove who was responsible for the damage so I had no other option but to pay this bill to the phone company. gently caress.

Not everything is bad though. As far as the apartments I own are concerned, Nicholas and I are about to strike a deal about lifetime financial support - he'll be paying me $150 every month and I'll leave him my Roach tower studio when I finally kick the bucket. $150 is a LOT of money in Croatia. Hell, if this deal goes through, I'll have $600 at my disposal every month, and that is a lot more than what I was earning back in the warehouse. I think this is a smart thing to do, especially when you consider my health situation - the cancer is dormant at the moment but the bloodwork revealed that my liver is shot to pieces - years upon years of booze and drugs have taken their toll. Besides, being the richest corpse at the graveyard is retarded - what would the headstone say; Here lies Fatbeard, he died with $150,000 on his hands?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

....dude he is totally going to kill you.

...yeah that's what I thought too. Earlier today I told him that the deal is off because "my cancer is doing seriously well and I am pretty much cured"; I basically told him to get stuffed... the nice way.
Another thing, before Nicholas's construction workers wrecked the meter, he paid about $1000 to the power company - those bills were only an estimation on the future power consumption that never eventuated since the apartment has been empty ever since - there was no power consumption and Nicholas wanted that money back. Yesterday I got the return payment from the power company and I passed this money to Nicholas's friend today. I told him what Nicholas has been doing to me and the poor guy was visibly distressed, at one point he even thought I was taping the conversation as a part of a secret police sting operation. He had no clue what was going on and now I actually feel bad for the guy for making him hear this.

then again with your history I don't see why we should believe those MRI scans are yours.

Here's a deal buddy, if my cancer starts growing again and if it spreads to kidneys/remaining nut, after surgery I'll personally ask the docs to hand me over my wrecked kidney - then I'm gonna pickle it and mail it to you. Deal?

Disco Infiva posted:

$150 isn't really a lot of money

Yeah, but I'm already used to living in poverty. If you're a careful shopper and if you're cooking for yourself at home, you'd be surprised at how far you can stretch your $150 out.

Dick Trauma posted:

Now please get your poo poo together. :ohdear:

I'll start by quitting booze and cigs... tomorrow. I already smoked all of that tobacco I took a picture of! (I gave a quarter of it to my friend but yeah, what's too much is definitely too much.)

Some goons were convinced that 2L bottles of beer were gross. I agree! That doesn't mean that beer from 2L bottles is warm by default - there are two ways you can drink it cold: First, if you're a slow drinker and you notice that your beer is getting warm, you can do the unthinkable and put it back into the fridge. Second, you can pour yourself a nice big mug of beer and then put the bottle back into the fridge until you need it. It's called beer planning!
Personally I drink my beer warm because I like the taste. Been drinking it that way since 2009 when I was working in the warehouse and we were drinking written off, defective beers (and there's quite a story behind that.)

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hey last time you posted some pictures of war bunkers around your place. Any more cool pics? Even if it's of your current surroundings I'd love to see Crotia from your point of via. Next time can you go out and take a few pics during your daily routine.

Can do. What exactly would you like to see? I can make videos with narration in Engrish.
I have a pretty decent camera and I like to take pictures of architecture and urban decay in Zagreb, urbex stuff mostly. Anyone interested in this?

Since there is no major crisis going on in my life right now, I don't mind this thread turning into a general purpose A/T chitchat thread about life in ex-Yugoslav countries.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Here are some pics I snapped today. I went out to find me a ciggy and decided to bring my camera along because goons seem to have a boner for bomb shelters.

I don't think you can really appreciate how massive this airlock is - you could easily drop a tiny car through it, and the entrance is probably accessible from what looks to me like a large underground parking facility - hell I ain't going down, it's a good place to get robbed. The whole meadow is fake, it's hollowed out entirely, and the surrounding buildings are strategically placed to take the worst of the bomb shock wave, protecting the vulnerable entrance and the airlocks.

Estates completed during the 1960s generally don't have fancy shelters, but when the Cold War started picking up again during the 1970s, all newly built estates came with at least some form of fortification. Josip Broz Tito thought that, considering the seriously bad track record the Balkans have with ethnic wars, that it's not outlandish to think that these places could see war again and that it may even be nuclear. Another good idea by Tito was how he never equipped Yugoslav Air Force with large carpet-bombing aircraft which could be used to bomb enemy cities - though I reckon that this was probably done not to upset eastern-bloc Hungary, it came as a real blessing during the Yugoslav wars since this absence of bombers kept Zagreb and a lot of other places out of harm's way for the most part.

Another airlock, it's located nearby but I don't think the two facilities are connected. I love the mushroom domes, this is obviously a fallout shelter (large battery-powered motors pull air through the mushroom intakes and run it through a filter to provide fresh air for the bunker.)

God I love the 1970s. Lots of concrete and crazy planning:

Yes, this is a mind-boggling viaduct over the parking lot. 1970s brutalism mandated that lots of concrete should be used in one way or another, and I can only come up with a conclusion that this monstrosity was built "for the hell of it."

I am reluctant to call these buildings "commieblocks" or "the projects". Both of those terms are used in a perjorative sense to denote "quick and dirty" fixes for housing shortages. In Yugoslavia, new estates were built as a part of the drive for urbanisation and construction wasn't nasty and rushed as it was common in eastern bloc countries.
I am not going to go on a long tirade about the wonders of Yugoblocks because I'm tired and hungry - suffice is to say that our modern buildings wouldn't look out of place in, say, Japan. It's true that we've had a fair share of architectural misses, but the majority of the buildings erected after 1964 in Zagreb were really, really good.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I'm not in a particularly festive mood today. The mailman woke up me this morning and brought me a notice of foreclosure - at first I thought that it's just another one of those bullshit foreclosures over the utilities in the Crackden apartment I sold to Nicholas, but no: it was a loving $110 bill for two months' of heating in the Large Apartment with Dad the Tenant property I sold a year ago (from the penultimate saga) - and this one is for real.
It's not hard to think why I missed the payment, considering the sheer amount of mess I was dealing with in those days. I will be able to finance this, it's just that I'll have to spend yet another month munching on stockpiles of dry cardboard-y food I have stored in the apartment. Serving in the Army teaches you to eat really gross stuff and like it even if you can't really tell what you're eating in the first place. And that's a Good Thing (tm).

I mean, after all this I feel like I ran a marathon only to step on a rusty tack at the finish line. :negative:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

How the gently caress are they foreclosing on a property you sold?

That's not how property transfers work. Did you not actually sell the property?

I missed two payments by accident while the apartment was still in my possession and frankly I had no clue about this up until a few days ago. They are foreclosing on my bank account (which is empty anyway), not on any real estate properties. Now I'll have to romp around with lawyers and public notaries over loving $110. :ughh:

Colonel J posted:

Screw the bunkers, I want to hear that story

This is a story about the best job I ever had. From around 2007 to 2010, I used to work in a large food warehouse as a forklift truck driver and a general purpose worker. We were unloading trucks, organized the boxes of merchandise into palletized "commissions" before shipping them out to stores and generally did a million little things to keep the stuff flowing in and out. This job was physically ardous and the salaries were insultingly low: I was breaking my back seven days a week for mere $450 a month in total - which was just a tiny little bit over the minimum wage in Croatia at the time. I was constantly thinking whether bloody $450 a month was worth grinding my (already wrecked) spine, the option of just quitting the job was something that crossed my mind every time I had to pick up a wet pallet and stack it onto a 7ft tall stack of pallets, or when I had to load up eleven 50kg bags of sugar onto my pallet for example - anyway, it was one of those jobs which chews you and spits you out. Hardly anyone could survive working there for more than a few years, and none of the senior employees were generic, physical "box throwers" - they all found tiny niches for themselves, away from the "pressure cooker" atmosphere in the warehouse. It became clear to me early on that I'll have to step aside a bit or that I'm not gonna stick around for long - for one reason or another.

I got my big break around 2009. One worker from a janitorial work unit went into retirement and the warehouse was looking for someone to take his place. The manager of our warehouse asked around if anyone is willing to volunteer for the transfer, and I was the only one willing to go through with this - mostly because I already knew what I would be getting myself into. Other workers thought I was nuts for demoting myself into a janitor, but time has proven me right: the new position entailed only a fraction of physical labor compared to what I was doing before, and there were other benefits too (free beer, candybars; assorted edible trash.)

My coworkers in the janitorial unit were complete cartoon characters: some were drunk, some retarded, some hands-down crazy, some all of the above. What's most ironic is that I fit in there like a glove. :D

Now, your warehouse produces incredible amounts of waste: nylon sheets, cardboard, paper, and a wide variety of biological, non-recyclable trash. We had three garbage compactors: cardboard, plastic and "everything else", they were all connected to truck-sized, large 20m3 dumpsters. Our job was to sort the trash in order to weed out as much recyclables as it was possible: our company had to pay to have the trash trucked out, but a recycling company would take away our plastic and cardboard with no charge - and there was so much trash that paying someone to sort the crap out actually made economic sense.

All warehouses have one persistent problem with merchandise: if transport packaging gets damaged, the actual products and their (much less sturdier) packaging won't "survive" the bumpy ride from the warehouse to the store. Bottles get crushed and cardboard boxes get squashed and munched up - would you buy a box of cereal that was filthy and looked like someone stomped it out? Yeah, you bet. Another common occurence that say, a few cans of tuna get ripped open when a reach truck operator accidentally snags the pylon while moving the pallet around - the contents of damaged cans will poo poo up whatever else there is in the box, and we frequently tossed out entire 48-can boxes of tuna cans because the maggots will eat anything that gets soaked by the meat juice, including the paper labels on the can.

As you can see, we used to toss out a lot of stuff that was completely safe to eat - but otherwise unsellable.

The 2L bottles of beer came in sixpacks, wrapped in sturdy plastic shrinkwrap. Insane amounts of cheap, store-brand beer would get sold every day, and this stuff was so cheap - it's understood that a 2L bottle cost less than 25 cents to make - that it was not economical to try and repair the damaged packaging, so it was routinely written off every Tuesday morning. The beer could become "defective" in a number of ways - a single bottle in a sixpack is not filled all the way in, the label is torn or badly printed, or simply the packaging got scratched and filthy. More expensive stuff, such as chocolate, would get shipped back to the manufacturer for repackaging, but beer was so cheap that it was more economical just to toss a couple of sixpacks every day and get it over with.

Every Tuesday was a "writeoff day." We'd get an enormous hamper full of moldy, disgusting crap from the warehouse and it was our job to shovel all of that into the garbage compactor. This was an hour of hard work, but the upside was that what was to happen with the contents of the crate was completely under our discretion and we'd set some stuff aside, such as beer and candy. Better yet, we had a sink with running water available so we'd rinse our bottles before drinking them.

We used to have a table with a few chairs, hidden behind the dumpsters so the bosses couldn't see that we're spending most of the day slacking off, reading newspapers and drinking trash beer. Hell, I upped the game by falling asleep several times, only to be woken up by a coworker who tickled me with a straw until I started sneezing.

It was the sweetest loving job I ever had, and I have so much stories about the people working there. I'll save that for another post, I had to slowly introduce you to what was happening there because if I went bluntly into this, you wouldn't believe the sheer craziness. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

to be fair i totally believe that theres a 50/50 shot that he wasnt trying to scam the owner and he was just way too loving high to have any idea what year it was, let alone which day he was supposed to pay up on

You're on to something. Back when I was selling the apartment, I was distracted with ongoing chemo and I was going through terrible withdrawals since I was cold-turkeying my longtime opiate habit at the same time. Hell, either one of those would pretty much excuse me from not paying attention to details and misplacing the bills. I never had an intention to defraud the buyer of my apartment. The damage is done, though, I now have to pay around $30 in court fees, as well as the heating bill I forgot to pay over a year ago.

fake edit: jesus christ the grammar in my penultimate post.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Saros posted:

Can't you just pay them instead of going all crazy with the lawyering?

The utility company hired a lawyer (a public notary to be more precise) to extract money from me, I lost the case by default and now I get to pay the processing fee. Good thing that the case was extremely simple, the notary simply went "eeyop he owes $110" and put a rubber stamp on the notice of foreclosure. That's why the court fees are $30 and not $300 or $3000.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Do you really, seriously believe this? Having poo poo happening in your life doesn't excuse you not paying the people you owe money to. You might find your life becomes slightly less full of absurdly crazy poo poo if you started owning up to your responsibilities like an adult.

Read my post again. I would have paid the bills had I known that there are bills out there that need to be paid. For example, I paid the monthly building maintenance in full, but these are issued in advance so I probably had these bills physically kicking around. Heating bills are issued retroactively and I was very much gone from the apartment when the mailman brought the letter. Once again, I must point out that I never said that being in chemo excused me from not paying the bills, I said that being in chemo excused me from not knowing that there are unpaid bills.

The following week imma check if the power and water have been paid, other utilities have long since gone ad acta.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

mattress on fire in his honor

My mattress is doing just fine but I did manage to set my pubes on fire several times when I nodded away on trams and dropped a lit ciggy butt into my lap. Most of my slavsuits now have cigarette burn holes in the crotch area.

Keep Autism Wired posted:

OP I have a lot of sympathy and concern for you but I must ask how does someone so irresponsible and driven by their immediate desires with such reckless distain for the future become a landlord?

I inherited a lot of stuff and furthermore, I was in a good position for money saving since I lived at home for free: everything I earned went into a savings account and was subsequently invested into real estate. I was constantly working night shifts in order to earn a few extra pennies.

detectivemonkey posted:

Does everyone in Croatia write/speak such perfect English? If not, I'm shocked you haven't somehow figure out how to monetize your strong English skills.

English-speaking people really are a dime a dozen in Croatia. Foreign languages are one of the very few things I'm really good at. I have surprisingly little formal education: just four years of high school and that's pretty much it. I found it hard to find motivation for studying things I don't care about, so I've given up on college in general since I (correctly) saw that it would've been a massive waste of time and money.
The funny thing is that studying is one of my favorite pastimes: I crack a beer and read random articles on wikipedia, then reread the same article in several other languages I know (Russian, Japanese, Slovenian and others to a lesser extent) to get a more complete picture of the subject discussed. Unfortunately, the lack of formal education means that, in terms of employment, I can do very little with my knowledge.

A few hours ago I got a new shipment of baccy: my hippie neighbor stumbled into my apartment with two noticeably inebriated girls whom I've never seen before and handed me a huge bag of tobacco. Man I'm happy as a little pig! :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

In the US, there are exams you can take to become a licensed translator, I wonder if such exists in Croatia? Have you ever looked into it?

Yeah, there is such a thing. It's not cheap though.

To be honest, my only aspieration is to become a janitor again. I've worked a wide variety of both white and blue collar jobs over the years, and the only time I was truly happy was when I was sweeping the warehouse with my trusty old broom. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I'm playing the waiting game - I'm broke as gently caress at the moment but in about a week or so I'm going to get some cash and things will be moving again.

I was bored this morning so I picked up my camera and went out at 5AM to take a few pictures for the forums.

First, here is a picture of a road intersection. Wait, where did the road go?

And here's another intersection:

Wilderness.

The city of Zagreb experienced a massive expansion southwards during the 1960s and 1970s. There were plans to build several new estates south of the Sopot and Siget estates which were completed in the early 70's, but something obviously happened that put an end to those plans.
It turned out that there was a massive reserve of fresh potable water hidden below the surface, and the city council correctly saw that fresh water is too important for the city to risk it getting shat up by human activity. All construction plans were abandoned, the vast areas of untamed land were put under protection and the only thing that was built there was a water pumping station.
The water is being pumped from a great depth - 240m to be precise - and the ground is composed of sand and gravel which acts as a natural filter. The water is chlorinated (albeit very lightly), just to be on the safe side - though it's not really necessary. Water gradually melts gravel as it seeps down through the layers, so the pumped water is actually very rich in minerals. The flip side to this is that we have a lot of trouble keeping bathroom/kitchen limescale in check.

When I visited Spain in 1995, the tour guide actually had to warn us not to drink Spanish tap water under any circumstances - that we should BUY bottled water instead. This was a culture shock to us wacky yugos, but the guide was right: Spanish tap water was disconcertingly yellow.

The untamed land is not wasted though:

People who live in nearby commietowers have their tiny DIY farms over here, where they are growing organic food for themselves. Not because they're inherently poor, but because growing stuff is fun and relaxing. Your vegetable garden is a great place to unwind after a day of hard work, a place of refuge to hang out with your friends and play cards:

The "mammoth" is one of the biggest apartment buildings in Europe. It was completed in 1974 at the height of the brutalism craze, and although it's showing its age, the block is kept surprisingly posh. There are in fact TWO of these fuckers standing parallel to each other, and a large plateau with shops and stores is sandwiched between them. Let's go there.

Not a single ciggy butt or even a gum wrapper on the floor!

CONCRETE!!!!
Notice the folding plastic blinds on every window: these became really popular in Croatia during the 1930s - every window is slightly different, and I feel that these foldable blinds kinda put a "human face" onto what would have otherwise been a forbidding, soviet commieblock that reeks of poverty and depression.

Why this? Because gently caress You that's why.

The sun is coming up, someone's alarm clock just went off as I was taking this picture. There is a cafe, a post office and a grocery store to the right. Most people are still asleep though.

The bakery is already open! It's hard to believe from these pictures, but the place is bustling with life during the day, and especially, during the evening. Maybe I should come back later today and snap more pictures.

Parting portrait of the Mammoth. As evidenced by the clock, I took this picture at 6:02AM.

Now it's almost 8AM and I'm crabby and incredibly farty because I must have ate something that was three and a half seconds away from going bad. Dayum. :ughh:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

hackbunny posted:

This may explain why Croatian bottled water is so horrible:

I agree with this. However Croatian tap water is so good that nobody - and I mean NOBODY buys bottled water. The only exception is mineral water, heaviliy carbonated, which is mixed along with riesling wine for a concoction called "gemisht".

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Here's an epilogue to this thread. My best friend borrowed me some money and I paid my debts in full, and I'll gradually return the money to him over the following few months. What's most important is that I stopped hemoraging money - and I also quit drinking. I'm celebrating the occasion with a little bit of tramadol. :D

If anyone is interested, we can keep this thread alive with chitchatting. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Sorry for the posting hiatus. This was the second time I nearly set the Roach Tower afire while under the influence. I was cooking a pot of soup... and nodded away on tramadol. THREE HOURS LATER, I woke up to an apartment full of smoke, the contents of the pot were reduced to a smoldering brown goo. I cut the gas supply and picked up the pot and the bottom just sorta fell off - fortunately back on the stove and not on the vinyl floor. It's a pity, really, the pot used to be a really nice piece of stainless steel cookware with a copper heat spreader welded to the bottom. I can't afford a new pot at the moment, good thing I have a motley selection of semi-junk cookware the penultimate owner of the apartment was too lazy to toss so I sorta inherited them when I bought the apartment. Well they were in the cabinet and I just went "welp I've eaten from worse."
The oldest item of cookware I own that I know the manufacture date of is a cast iron pot from 1953, one handle fell off in 1962 due to a spotty welding job but the other one is still clinging tight to the pot and enamel is surprisingly good still. It's my favorite pot to cook the "I opened a can and have no idea what this poo poo is supposed to be" kind of meal.

I also got a wad of tobacco from my neighbor. I really like the dude, he's totally nuts but in a good way: picture him as a young, wiry Lenin with a trademark stoner gaze and dreadlocks (yes he has a Lenin goatee. I have no idea why.)

The other reason I've been away is that I've been sleeping for 27+ hours straight, which is not at all uncommon when you do opiates (careful readers will note that I've been doin subs and H waaaaay before I even knew what deliriants were.) The problem with this was that my neck got stuck in a weird and a painful "oof" position and I've been unable to carry the weight of my head on the shoulders. Sitting was a no-no because I couldn't turn my head around and sitting for more than five minutes would make my eyes water, so I'd just retire to bed again in hopes that my neck would stop giving me a hard time eventually. Today I'm feeling rather well, I even went out though I smell like a wet dog... but that's a completely different issue.

My camera pouch is nowhere to be found, and I strongly suspect that I threw it out the window since the leather was falling apart since 2013. The camera is fine - I did not toss it out the window with the pouch. Doesn't matter how high I am, I always try to keep a modicum of common sense - though, as we've seen many times over, it's hardly a bulletproof rule. I'll try to take more pics the following day provided the weather is nice enough. The last few days were either sunny and hot as gently caress, or it was raining sideways while being hot as gently caress.

As far as finances are concerned, after paying off the heating debt, I hastily invested the remaining money into food, knowing that if I keep paper bills kicking around, that I'll burn them off on booze in a couple of days - and then what? I now have around $1 which isn't enough to buy a single 2L bottle of beer (and that's a good thing actually), but I can buy a loaf of bread for example. I don't need anything else really - in about fifteen days imma see some serious cash and then I'm gonna get absolutely wrecked. :D

People tend to poke fun at me for eating trash - well some of it is safe to eat, some of it can be very questionable. A coworker of mine, called Mario, swiped a full carton of yogurt that was close to the expiration date. Such merchandise is really common if the warehouse doesn't pump the stuff out fast enough. What Mario didn't know, however, is that the yogurt in question wasn't kept in a cooler and he took it home, thinking it was okay to eat.
Mario, his wife and their three children were later hospitalized for food poisoning. :D And he thought I was nuts for using a garden rake to fish out a couple of (peelable) onions out of the wheelie bin. :D

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Saros posted:

Fatbeard what happened to your uncles hoarder house.

Oh yes, forgot about this: nothing is happening ATM. We're trying to organize some sort of cleanup workforce but it's hard since the family is mostly in Germany and we're all strapped for cash. As far as the house is concerned, who knows if it's still in one piece - though I have to admit if some pyro went in there with a molotov cocktail he'd be doing us a favor.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Hey Sweaty, when are you gonna translate Nightmare Stage to English? I think goons need to know who your role models are.

I might do it one of these days, I was thinking of doing it for a really long time now but I ended up with a conclusion that I'd have to go completely out of my way to explain to the goons why something is funny, the context of the show and such. A lot of humor is derived from yugo-banter which woudln't translate well into English.

The premise of the show is simple: round up the town stoners, drunks, retards and crazies and put them on live TV stream, and film anything that happens in the studio. Everybody gets drunk, including the host, and the crew rambles incoherently about stuff. The "stuff" can be anything, really, the show is made completely ad-hoc. In SA-specific terms, it's what would happen if someone got Ulillillia drunk and had him post in FYAD, and the "FYAD" is on live TV. The show has its own meta-memes which I would have to painstakingly explain to the goons (which would take away the humor of it.)

I was supposed to appear on Nightmare Stage in 2002, but I declined. :ssh:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Check this out, I am not translating it. The context: a horny, retarded 33 year old virgin is told he's finally gonna score with the ladies if he goes full monty in the disco. Which, unfortunately, he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUr1zdDJlIc

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

stringball posted:

The dude in the club drops his underwear and rocks with his cock out, forgot to include that in my post :(

Yeah, all Nightmare Stage videos should be considered NWS for one reason or another (I forgot to mention this because it's one of those things you take for granted)
The clip opens with a Gypsy singing a Nazi song. The show got banned in 2006 for, out of all things, airing homegroan. Malnar and his crew simply jumped ship after this and reappeared a week later on a different TV network. :D

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Another :nws: video. A presidential candidate is the show's guest and he's being shown a recording of one of the crewmembers getting some puppy love from a yellow lab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAZFr_gqqZQ

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Hey, this looks like a party, doesn't it? :)

Actually, none of these bottles were purchased by me - they were all recovered from dumpsters and wastebins on the bus station. The large beer bottle was not completely empty when I picked it up, you can guess where the leftover beer went :getin:

Through hobo magic, I traded the bottles for a baguette and I even managed to land myself half a pack of cigs. I normally wouldn't have bought myself a baguette, but I was a few pennies short of a real loaf of bread so I guess I'll have to make do with this. :D

Where did the cigs come from?
You'll never guess whom I ran into on the bus station - it was Dad the dad from the penultimate saga. He too picked up his life after his wife dumped him, truth to be told he's living in the boonies now and hardly gets to see his kids but at least he has a steady job. I bummed cigs off of him and he then invited me over to his restaurant (since it was obvious I was carrying a bag of empty cans and bottles for recycling money). He said that I can come over for a tasty meal whenever I feel like it which is bloody awesome - can't remember when was the last time I ate real meat.

World is a small place, and living near the bus terminal is awesome - you get to meet people, bum cigs and collect bottles&cans. Is this the highlife I always dreamed of? :D

The Saurus posted:

OP it seems like you mainly just throw all your garbage out of the window, have you considered using the City Waste Disposal services offered by Zagrebacki Holding Council, wherein you place your disposed items into large black bags, and leave them on the street once a week for collection?

Our towers in fact have a warning sign on the side of the building; "beware of free-falling objects." Not because there are bits and pieces of masonry falling down (as is common in older parts of Zagreb) but because urban hicks tend to hurl food and trash out the windows. I'm littering only when I'm drunk, but I've seen plastic bottles, loaves of stale bread and meatballs getting airborne. All of this stuff lands on the lawn where it's consumed by birds and cats, and the remainder is picked up by city sanitation workers who are doing a spectacularly good job when you consider the sheer amount of stuff thrown overboard. :D

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Bloody hell. Looks like I'll have to spend yet another month eating cardboard poo poo. The kid got his salary but the bank foreclosed on all of it since he had some unpaid cellphone bills which date to god knows when - he'll be able to pay me NEXT month - and what's even worse, he's broke as gently caress right now and his dad who lives in Serbia died the other day so he had no option but to hitch a ride from Zagreb to Novi Sad in order to attend the funeral as he couldn't afford to pay a regular bus fare.

I know goons are going to jump on my rear end for letting him freeload for another month, but look at this mess in this way: if I kicked him out now, he would have lost his job, an apartment AND he wouldn't be able to attend his dad's funeral - I would have basically ruined his life - but I'm not that much of a Hitl0rz.

The kid has a solid track record and I'm willing to cut him some slack.

The good thing is that I'm getting 200€ in the following days, probably tomorrow, from the other kid. That will keep me going until the next month.

This is not the point of this post though. Looks like it'll be me who'll have to deal with Uncle Bruno's poo poo. I'll have to leave Zagreb for a few weeks until the Shithouse is cleared out and ready for sale - what's the problem at this point is that I want to get me a job because I'm tired of being bored and poor. If I got me a job I wouldn't be able to tend to the house. My grandmotherly grandma couldn't come up with a definitive answer to my question so I'm turning to you goons: should I wait for a few months more with this job thing just so I'd be able to toss Bruno's poo poo out and sell the house? Half the property is already mine and I could make a tidy profit on it. At this point I'm not counting on my relatives from Germany to manage the sheer mess Bruno left behind himself.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I've been jumping back and forth between your threads. I'm a little confused on timelines and your current situation. What happened to the money from the apartment sale? What is your current situation vis-à-vis drug-usage? Are you still just on tobacco and booze? I seem to remember you using some other poo poo in the course of this thread, but I may be mixing up your stories.

You've mentioned a couple of times that you learned English at least partially from watching subtitled television shows. What percentage of your English prowess do you think comes just from watching those shows?

Do you want to change your life? Do you even want to be alive?

I'd like to see you post more pictures. Even mundane things, like the bottles and the baguette, seem interesting when framed by what we know about your life from these threads.

I bought studio #3 apartment with that money, the kid lives in that apartment at the moment. Everything was fine up until two months ago. I reckon that most of my american slang comes from watching subtitled BBC shows, it's hard to put a finger on it but yeah, slang comes from television.

I do want to change my life. I stopped buying illegal drugs, the only thing I'm still doing is getting wrecked on perscription meds once every blue moon - and it's usually Biperiden which I'm getting for free anyways (yay universal healthcare!)

As for the "do you want to be alive" question, I'm kinda torn between "no" and "not in this way." That's why I want to find a job - doesn't matter how crappy it is - I've already stopped drinking and smoking yet Uncle Bruno's poo poo keeps bogging me down.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Just the slang? Did you study the language in school, also?

We had mandatory English starting from fifth grade. The funny thing was that I wasn't really good at English until I got me a computer and started writing lovely animu fanfics. This forced me to think in English, and the rest is history.

I guess that's a step in the right direction. Do you think you can keep it to "once in a blue moon," or do you feel yourself wanting to fall back into using a lot?

The first few months after kicking pills I had recurrent dreams about using. Fortunately, all of that is behind me, and what's even better, if I need to take a painkiller pill (for a legitimate medical use) I feel this strange nagging guilt. Same goes for booze.

What's the Status on the Bruno situation? Last I read, you'd discovered some savings and some stocks that you were going to liquidate to help cover his debts, and the building he left behind was worthless. Is there any way for you to benefit from Uncle Bruno's estate at this point?

Nothing is happening ATM. We are waiting for the tourist season to wane before we tear the place apart. Precisely half estate is mine and my intention is to sell it and since the law is on my side, push the remaining co-owners out of the house. I can make a tidy profit on it, maybe I'll get myself enough money to buy yet another studio in Zagreb.

Funny thing about the kid who is late with the rent - he returned from Serbia after attending his dad's funeral, and when I told him he can stay another month till he pulls his finances together, he was overjoyed to the point where he called me kinder than his own mom, and if we weren't texting, he'd probably kiss the ground I walked upon. Anyways, the kid is definitely a keeper, been thinking that way for a really long time now.

You seem to take it very well when people dump on you in your threads, but I doubt it's much fun when that happens. For the record, we're not all watching and hoping for a continuing train wreck. I really want to check in here one day soon and see that you've gotten a new job, and your bills are all paid, and read a post where you seem genuinely happy and hopeful. Good luck.

Thank you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Wait, how does one learn American slang watching British Broadcasting Service? Do they American programming as well?
Do you say "aluminum" or "aluminium"?

I speak a weird mishmash of American/British english. I'm fine with that, as long as people can understand me.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, you say you write a lot of animu fanfics, does this ever motivate you to learn Japanese? I find it somewhat amusing that Japan's media caused you to learn a completely different language. Though understandable.

I saw this as a personal challenge. I wrote animu subtitles for a certain lovely anime show, armed with nothing but a dictionary and lots upon lots of time. Also, I like Japanese music, and the gotcha about this is that's easy to memorize the lyrics - it's much easier to memorize new words if you've got a melody attached to them, a sort of mnemonics if you'd like.
I don't like modern J-pop crap. My favorites are old-school folk songs (enka), pre-1970s.

Shadow0 posted:

I am also curious if Croatia has a large anime fanbase. Do you get manga and shows translated into Croatian or anything or do you watch in English?

These never really caught on in Croatia. You can buy croatian-translated manga at ludicrously high prices but I don't know anyone who can afford it. As far as anime is concerned, we occasionally get some old shows aimed at small children. Not that it concerns me, really, I've already given up on television in general. I'm getting my anime fix from the internet, subbed in good ol' English.

I have some good news though! I got in contact with Dad the dad tenant and we struck a deal that he'll gradually repay me what he owes me - I'll be getting $100 a month from him, starting in October. This isn't a lot of money, but at least I won't have to dumpster dive again.