Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I missed two payments by accident while the apartment was still in my possession and frankly I had no clue about this up until a few days ago. They are foreclosing on my bank account (which is empty anyway), not on any real estate properties. Now I'll have to romp around with lawyers and public notaries over loving $110. :ughh:

This is a story about the best job I ever had. From around 2007 to 2010, I used to work in a large food warehouse as a forklift truck driver and a general purpose worker. We were unloading trucks, organized the boxes of merchandise into palletized "commissions" before shipping them out to stores and generally did a million little things to keep the stuff flowing in and out. This job was physically ardous and the salaries were insultingly low: I was breaking my back seven days a week for mere $450 a month in total - which was just a tiny little bit over the minimum wage in Croatia at the time. I was constantly thinking whether bloody $450 a month was worth grinding my (already wrecked) spine, the option of just quitting the job was something that crossed my mind every time I had to pick up a wet pallet and stack it onto a 7ft tall stack of pallets, or when I had to load up eleven 50kg bags of sugar onto my pallet for example - anyway, it was one of those jobs which chews you and spits you out. Hardly anyone could survive working there for more than a few years, and none of the senior employees were generic, physical "box throwers" - they all found tiny niches for themselves, away from the "pressure cooker" atmosphere in the warehouse. It became clear to me early on that I'll have to step aside a bit or that I'm not gonna stick around for long - for one reason or another.

I got my big break around 2009. One worker from a janitorial work unit went into retirement and the warehouse was looking for someone to take his place. The manager of our warehouse asked around if anyone is willing to volunteer for the transfer, and I was the only one willing to go through with this - mostly because I already knew what I would be getting myself into. Other workers thought I was nuts for demoting myself into a janitor, but time has proven me right: the new position entailed only a fraction of physical labor compared to what I was doing before, and there were other benefits too (free beer, candybars; assorted edible trash.)

My coworkers in the janitorial unit were complete cartoon characters: some were drunk, some retarded, some hands-down crazy, some all of the above. What's most ironic is that I fit in there like a glove. :D

Now, your warehouse produces incredible amounts of waste: nylon sheets, cardboard, paper, and a wide variety of biological, non-recyclable trash. We had three garbage compactors: cardboard, plastic and "everything else", they were all connected to truck-sized, large 20m3 dumpsters. Our job was to sort the trash in order to weed out as much recyclables as it was possible: our company had to pay to have the trash trucked out, but a recycling company would take away our plastic and cardboard with no charge - and there was so much trash that paying someone to sort the crap out actually made economic sense.

All warehouses have one persistent problem with merchandise: if transport packaging gets damaged, the actual products and their (much less sturdier) packaging won't "survive" the bumpy ride from the warehouse to the store. Bottles get crushed and cardboard boxes get squashed and munched up - would you buy a box of cereal that was filthy and looked like someone stomped it out? Yeah, you bet. Another common occurence that say, a few cans of tuna get ripped open when a reach truck operator accidentally snags the pylon while moving the pallet around - the contents of damaged cans will poo poo up whatever else there is in the box, and we frequently tossed out entire 48-can boxes of tuna cans because the maggots will eat anything that gets soaked by the meat juice, including the paper labels on the can.

As you can see, we used to toss out a lot of stuff that was completely safe to eat - but otherwise unsellable.

The 2L bottles of beer came in sixpacks, wrapped in sturdy plastic shrinkwrap. Insane amounts of cheap, store-brand beer would get sold every day, and this stuff was so cheap - it's understood that a 2L bottle cost less than 25 cents to make - that it was not economical to try and repair the damaged packaging, so it was routinely written off every Tuesday morning. The beer could become "defective" in a number of ways - a single bottle in a sixpack is not filled all the way in, the label is torn or badly printed, or simply the packaging got scratched and filthy. More expensive stuff, such as chocolate, would get shipped back to the manufacturer for repackaging, but beer was so cheap that it was more economical just to toss a couple of sixpacks every day and get it over with.

Every Tuesday was a "writeoff day." We'd get an enormous hamper full of moldy, disgusting crap from the warehouse and it was our job to shovel all of that into the garbage compactor. This was an hour of hard work, but the upside was that what was to happen with the contents of the crate was completely under our discretion and we'd set some stuff aside, such as beer and candy. Better yet, we had a sink with running water available so we'd rinse our bottles before drinking them.

We used to have a table with a few chairs, hidden behind the dumpsters so the bosses couldn't see that we're spending most of the day slacking off, reading newspapers and drinking trash beer. Hell, I upped the game by falling asleep several times, only to be woken up by a coworker who tickled me with a straw until I started sneezing.

It was the sweetest loving job I ever had, and I have so much stories about the people working there. I'll save that for another post, I had to slowly introduce you to what was happening there because if I went bluntly into this, you wouldn't believe the sheer craziness. :)

I mean it doesn't really sound that crazy. If I had to guess one thing about you based on your posts, I would probably guess that you ate a lot of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So in the morning imma get high on trams and pay a visit to the police.

Any thoughts?

Sounds good to me OP

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm starting to think that Croatia is a great place to live.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Woah, get a load of this guy. Please tell me about the time I tortured small animals because heck, I sure as hell can't remember any such incident.

In all fairness, there's probably a lot of things you don't remember.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

There are more humane ways to terminate the mouse (which was in a glue trap) than a loving garbage compactor.

Sorry if it was a derail from the thread, but this rear end in a top hat seemed to seriously enjoy doing that. gently caress him.

that's not that bad really. its probably quicker if he were to stomp on it but that feels way more barbaric.

really they should just have used snap traps. but even then a mouse is going to suffer sometimes. unfortunately in a warehouse where there's food and stuff, you have to kill rodents that get in quickly and cheaply.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i feel like it's a bad idea to give the drug addict a safe worth one thousand USD

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

a sweaty fatbeard is the most likeable -- hell, maybe the only likeable -- goon

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I meant to post this earlier, but I also watched the video tour of your apartment and I would live there for a reasonable price.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

you should spend it all on drugs

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

A Sweaty Fatbeard is going to outlive all of us

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

dpack_1 posted:

As a non-recreational long time opiate taker; if you've never taken the stuff it's hard to explain, but just imagine the most comfortable you've ever felt. Like getting out of a nice hot bath and into a bed with pristine clean sheets that is floating on a cloud all the while you're being sung to by angels in the calmest dulcet tones imaginable. That is why people take them. Not only are they chemically addictive but that lure of not having a care in the world for X hours, letting all the stress, drama, pain and suffering of life just simply not exist.

poo poo is so drat moreish.

yeah i've taken heavy duty opiates recreationally maybe a dozen times in my life (last time was 5+ years ago) and this is correct, you feel physically amazing and euphoric and your brain just shuts off, which is nice when you deal with constant low grade anxiety and depression. it's pretty much the best feeling in the world the first few times you take them, which is why I'll never take them recreationally again

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Isn't that days-long-blackout level of xanax

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Look! A Horse! posted:

$5 a day sounds great for an opiate habit, at my height I pinning $320 of heroin daily. I should probably make my own E/N thread soon haha. Just getting of subs right now, PAWS is loving terrible.

Also my dear lord that is a lot of Valium. Anything embarrasing happen?

I mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Are y'all really giving this guy money? Seems bad?