Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

crabrock posted:

So have you actually managed to grow any hair yet or are you still getting sad about being bald, shaving the whole thing and sulkily looking into the mirror or what

actually, all the hair on my dick is gone, which rules because it makes my small dick look larger without razor bumps

what about you fatass? you lose any dick fat to make your micropenis visible?

5,411 words right now, what about you? how is twiceFAIL going? was the character 'scabs' based on your mom? was the loving tree bitch your sexual fantasy because you could pollinate it or whatever the gently caress trees do instead of using your useless loving dick on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

angel opportunity posted:

actually, all the hair on my dick is gone, which rules because it makes my small dick look larger without razor bumps

what about you fatass? you lose any dick fat to make your micropenis visible?

5,411 words right now, what about you? how is twiceFAIL going? was the character 'scabs' based on your mom? was the loving tree bitch your sexual fantasy because you could pollinate it or whatever the gently caress trees do instead of using your useless loving dick on it?

oh sorry i don't have all day to write since my job actually matters and I'm not just sitting around all day waiting for my life to end.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

thriceFAIL.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

angel opportunity trains in the long walk thread

sebmojo (left) and crabrock (right) play together in the long walk thread instead of getting poo poo done. also you are getting comed on

edit: also you are fat instead of strong

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I think a meetup would be a great idea, actually. I'll try to show up, but my IRC-fu is lacking and I may be working, but it'd be a great way to trade some ideas, jump-start inspiration, and give us a chance to compare dick sizes.

I swing from tree limbs with mine.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I think a scheduled meet-up is a great idea. I can probably make both times.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

how's your loving space simulator browser-based game that doesn't even have Newtonian physics going? you piece of poo poo? i bet you gave up on it
Please stop being overly aggressive and going for somebody's throat every time you feel like they need to be taken down a peg or two. It's really ugly and totally unnecessary, and it's not doing you any favors.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

5,411 words right now, what about you?

:eyepop: chuck tingle levels of productivity right there

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Entenzahn posted:

:eyepop: chuck tingle levels of productivity right there

This thread is giving me Chuck Tingle levels of productivity :dance:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Please stop being overly aggressive and going for somebody's throat every time you feel like they need to be taken down a peg or two. It's really ugly and totally unnecessary, and it's not doing you any favors.

You know what else is ugly and unnecessary?

Racism. This world would be much better off without racists.

Also, my wordcount's barely at the 1k mark -- I keep wanting to fiddle with my old story. I was going to write some completely new things but I put away my "main" work at a pivotal moment and it keeps distracting me. :(

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i'm at 300 words because of life, but i can also write 10k in a day so I'm not worried about hitting that mark.

I got a new mechanical keyboard and it is so fun to type on. now i just need dat time.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-519.html

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

Cool. I have no idea how many time zones we're working with. At a glance, it looks like a lot. The 15th is a Wednesday, which I assume a lot of people work. Having two sessions would probably be best.

This is super informal, but for organization's sake I was thinking we could do one around 7PM UTC (evening for europe goons, early afternoon for most US goons) and another around 2AM UTC (10PM for US east coast, 7PM for the west coast). Some of us are neckbeards and will be hanging around IRC all day anyway. If that's too hard to manage during the work week, we could maybe push it back to Friday the 17th. That way it would be Saturday for any goons in NZ since I'm guessing none of the previously mentioned times are super convenient during the week.

I dunno though. I guess we can start from there and people can let me know if other times would work better. im bad at time zone.

Quoting this for the new page in case people want to talk about something other than jerking off into each others open mouths.

Martello posted:

can't do friday but you all have fun

That was like a "what if" scenario, it won't be Friday unless a bunch of people are like "Friday would be best"

which is why I need to know what would be ideal for everyone

Screaming Idiot posted:

I think a meetup would be a great idea, actually. I'll try to show up, but my IRC-fu is lacking and I may be working, but it'd be a great way to trade some ideas, jump-start inspiration, and give us a chance to compare dick sizes.

I swing from tree limbs with mine.

IRC newbies. Go to Chat.Mibbit.com. Next to where it says "Connections", select SynIRC from the drop down menu. Type your SA username (no spaces) in the box that says "Nick". Type #longwalk in the box that says "channel". No IRC fu needed.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo, serious question: anybody know any good mags currently taking open submissions? Looking for 3-4K, paid obviously much better than unpaid. I'm tossing up Clarkesworld or Terraform for this month but I'll take other suggestions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can probably hang out in the channel during the 10 PM EST time for a bit, and treat you all to the rousing tale of how I wrote 30 words and then erased them.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
I'm an Aus goon but I can try and be sneaky at work since my job doesn't matter that much.
I am on the grand count of 0 words after being awesome and getting hit by a car whilst riding my bike.

I'll just have to get up early for work the next couple of days and knock out a few 1000 before the boss gets in.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sitting Here posted:

That was like a "what if" scenario, it won't be Friday unless a bunch of people are like "Friday would be best"

here's a what if scenario for you

what if

you didn't suck so bad

makes you think

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
If I knew putting a ten dollar internet forums account on the line would make me write I would have done it earlier. I'm 6k in so far and hope to keep this pace.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yo, serious question: anybody know any good mags currently taking open submissions? Looking for 3-4K, paid obviously much better than unpaid. I'm tossing up Clarkesworld or Terraform for this month but I'll take other suggestions.

I asked Kaishai two nights ago this question specifically for sci-fi and she recommended:

Asimov's,
Analog,
and F&SF

If you have a strong and unique fantasy world you can try Beneath Ceaseless Skies. It's the only place I ever tried submitting to so far, and the editor actually responds in around a month with a non-form rejection. He might only include a sentence or two about why he rejected it, but it's pretty valuable feedback. That is fantasy only though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/

You can sort by wordcount, paying or non-paying (also pro, semi-pro, and token payment levels), genre, etc. I don't think it tells you which markets are actively open for subs, but you can whittle down a list of prospects and then just go to their website and check.

edit: Also, I'm an east coaster, but I can pretty much make any time in the afternoon / night work.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 8, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What kind of a story is it?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sitting Here posted:

I'm down for whenever.

My houseguests are gone, the barf and beer's all mopped up, it's time to write. :woop:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Weekend is best for me, otherwise some time around 10-11 PM GMT as I never know when I'll be off work these days.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
42900 words atm

that's 2900 of the 5000

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

crabrock posted:

i'm at 300 words because of life, but i can also write 10k in a day so I'm not worried about hitting that mark.

I got a new mechanical keyboard and it is so fun to type on. now i just need dat time.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard-519.html

grats on your leet new keyboard

nice letters on the keys lol

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I've got about 635k words written in my story series, so I'm gonna go ahead and make it an even 640 before the month's end. God have mercy on my soul.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I got really sick and am still sick so you plebs have a chance to catch up now

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I told my parents I would write 10k words this week lol

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Hit 1,170 today. That's the better part of 1k today... I should just do this daily like a grown-up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo let's make it official

:siren: SITTING MUFFIN THROWDOWN :siren:

SittingHere and I are all gonna write pieces for Beneath Ceaseless Skies this month (chur Systran). The judge is the editor of the mag- I win if my piece gets published, she wins if hers gets published. If neither of us gets published them we can go cry in a corner like big babby losers. That said, if somebody wants to come in and throw a prompt at us, that would be cool. So long as it works within:

quote:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies publishes “literary adventure fantasy”: stories with a secondary-world setting and some traditional or classic fantasy feel, but written with a literary approach.

Flash rules will also be taken for consideration but may be dropped on a dime because we're after serious :10bux:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

BCS has specific enough requirements. You shouldn't hamstring yourself with extra flashrules imo. Good luck!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I guess I can submit to that with a slightly modified version of my thing

Edit: Which I'm making progress on for real

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BCS has specific enough requirements. You shouldn't hamstring yourself with extra flashrules imo. Good luck!
We're chatting about it in irc right now. SH and I are going to prompt each other, but the prompts are pretty vague "this is a weak point so I'm steering you in a direction that might help" ways.

Speaking of

SITTINGHERE, YOUR PROMPT IS:

Your protagonist has failed somebody close, causing something important to fall apart, and their guilt is driving them to fix it.

Also, SH has said she won't be writing this story for this month, and that's cool by me. I'll be aiming for the end of April but she submits her piece whenever it's ready. Considering how much I've told her "FINISH YOUR loving NOVEL", I'm hardly gonna tell her to stop now and do something else.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
^^^^^ CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Yo let's make it official

:siren: SITTING MUFFIN THROWDOWN :siren:

SittingHere and I are all gonna write pieces for Beneath Ceaseless Skies this month (chur Systran). The judge is the editor of the mag- I win if my piece gets published, she wins if hers gets published. If neither of us gets published them we can go cry in a corner like big babby losers. That said, if somebody wants to come in and throw a prompt at us, that would be cool. So long as it works within:

Flash rules will also be taken for consideration but may be dropped on a dime because we're after serious :10bux:

Yep. I'm going to be shooting to have this done by the end of May, not April, since I'm pretty well-entrenched in my novel right now. Plus, you can't rush perfection.

Muffin, I offer you not so much a prompt but some inspiration. Your words are lovely, but your endings leave judges and readers wanting.

Consider the Ouroboros:

A symbol of eternity, of cycles, entropy and new beginnings. I want you to keep this potent symbol of magic and alchemy in mind as you write. Much like the snake has a head and a tail, stories have plots and sub-plots. What I want you to do is give me an ending that brings your story full circle, and resolves both your plot and your subplot in one fell swoop.

This isn't for my benefit. How well you stick the ending will be for BCS to decide. Godspeed, S. Muffin.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
oh, and in other news

:siren: The Big Last Call :siren:

By the power vested in me by absolutely no one, I decree that we all get together via IRC on Saturday, April 18th. The consensus seems to be that more of us can do IRC reliably on the weekend. We can exchange writing samples, bounce plot ideas around, exchange insults, and eventually pass out drunkenly on our respective keyboards. It'll be good fun.

I'm a helpless dork, so I'll pretty much be around all day to kind of facilitate things. I think we can stick roughly to the times I outlined in my last post: Part one will be at 7PM UTC, part two will be 2AM UTC. I'll be around all day, as will others I'm sure.

Get those words writ.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

HELLO I WROTE 2K WORDS TODAY JUST SO YOU KNOW

also lol at martello trying to shame me about having letters on my keyboard, which i assume matters to some people somewhere, but i'd never associate with those people cause they dumb as fuuuuuuuck

edit: I hate everything i've written today.

edit2: 3,000 words today for a total of 3.4k

crabrock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 12, 2015

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

man, writing a little bit, even if it's only once every few weeks, really adds up after a while.

I am definitely looking to increase my productivity though. I started a new schedule today that I'm hoping works out: get up at 7am, go running, think about what i'm going to write while I run, come back and write until 9, then go to work.

Day 1, check.

that huge climb in the beginning is the summer before Ph.D. :(

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is that graph from Scrivener?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

No, just my Google spreadsheet where i keep track of my writing. I don't use any fancy writing programs.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sounds like communist talk to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

crabrock posted:

also lol at martello trying to shame me about having letters on my keyboard, which i assume matters to some people somewhere, but i'd never associate with those people cause they dumb as fuuuuuuuck

worst part is that i never memorized the f keys or those six stupid keys so sometimes i jab blindly at them hoping it's the right one

i mean obviously i know delete but sometimes the other ones gently caress my brain

however, you overpaid because Das makes awesome mechanical keyboards with or without letters and other cool poo poo and they are only 139

namaste

• Locked thread