Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've spoken to Mojo a little for my writing plans this year, and I may as well make this clear for everybody.

Rather than a single novel, I'm planning to write a fuckton of shorts and submit them to magazines. Partly because I already wrote a goon-group novel in 2013 (I'm the only one who didn't blow their WAD) and partly because I'm a poor student again and could use the beer money. Same wordcounts apply to me. Mojo agrees that this is acceptable.

I might actually start as of April. I had 2k written up by the 12th but then my laptop decided it hated my guts and wanted me dead, so now I have an openoffice document that took 20 minutes to open and when I did, all the text was replaced with #########################################################################. I guess I'm starting in April too.

5K. I'll be trying to submit at the end of each month. If anybody knows places that are paying for shorts, throw them at me. C'mon bitches, let's rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

i feel like i've entered an alternate dimension in which 5k words is considered significant for a whole month
So have you actually managed to finish anything yet or are you still getting sad halfway through, trashing the whole thing and sulkily starting an entirely new project or what

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What do you expect me to deal with my fragile self-esteem productively?

You're probably right I'm sorry Systran please continue kayfabe as normal.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

how's your loving space simulator browser-based game that doesn't even have Newtonian physics going? you piece of poo poo? i bet you gave up on it
Please stop being overly aggressive and going for somebody's throat every time you feel like they need to be taken down a peg or two. It's really ugly and totally unnecessary, and it's not doing you any favors.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo, serious question: anybody know any good mags currently taking open submissions? Looking for 3-4K, paid obviously much better than unpaid. I'm tossing up Clarkesworld or Terraform for this month but I'll take other suggestions.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo let's make it official

:siren: SITTING MUFFIN THROWDOWN :siren:

SittingHere and I are all gonna write pieces for Beneath Ceaseless Skies this month (chur Systran). The judge is the editor of the mag- I win if my piece gets published, she wins if hers gets published. If neither of us gets published them we can go cry in a corner like big babby losers. That said, if somebody wants to come in and throw a prompt at us, that would be cool. So long as it works within:

quote:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies publishes “literary adventure fantasy”: stories with a secondary-world setting and some traditional or classic fantasy feel, but written with a literary approach.

Flash rules will also be taken for consideration but may be dropped on a dime because we're after serious :10bux:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BCS has specific enough requirements. You shouldn't hamstring yourself with extra flashrules imo. Good luck!
We're chatting about it in irc right now. SH and I are going to prompt each other, but the prompts are pretty vague "this is a weak point so I'm steering you in a direction that might help" ways.

Speaking of

SITTINGHERE, YOUR PROMPT IS:

Your protagonist has failed somebody close, causing something important to fall apart, and their guilt is driving them to fix it.

Also, SH has said she won't be writing this story for this month, and that's cool by me. I'll be aiming for the end of April but she submits her piece whenever it's ready. Considering how much I've told her "FINISH YOUR loving NOVEL", I'm hardly gonna tell her to stop now and do something else.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm still 2k down, but I've got a whole day. I can do this. Just gotta knuckle the gently caress down.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh wait, I've got a whole 'nother day. Cool.

Well, I've written 1800 words so far anyway. That's about 3500 total for the BCS story. Gonna try to lay down another 2k before the deadline. The story is looking to be the full 10K, though one section of it (which I have only written 500 words of and they're gonna get cannibalised for use elsewhere) is probably gonna get the chop. They're not great words and they're gonna need a lot of editing, but there's a core of something solid there.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1066l0Zx4NtxFK2Dzvp2NqA0GxqhKdT1bW6rMBRyxn08/edit?usp=sharing

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

bbbbbut the ~agenda~
We'll just have to go back to the regular gay agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
DONE, MOTHERFUCKERS. GO BACK TO THAT LINK I POSTED BEFORE I AINT POSTING IT AGAIN.

IT'S 5031 WORDS BUT THAT NON-STORY SPIEL IN THE MIDDLE IS 31 WORDS K I'M OUT.

• Locked thread