Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

1: Fools' March

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk

ock? sure, little buddy. ock.

April fools:
sebmojo, 5k
yep
Sittinghere, 5k
yep
Capntastic, 5k
yep
Systran, 10k yep
Crabrock, 10k
yep
grizpat's mum, 5k
yep
entenzahn, 5k why yuhuh
ravenkult, 5k but of course
redtonic, 5k that's a rog'
ironic twist, 6k
yep
chthonic bell, 10k
:siren:FAIL:siren:
hammer bro, 7.5k da
screaming idiot, 5k no problemo
bompacho 4k si
Martello 5k oui
docbeard 5k yeps
Docklock 5k why yes indeedy
Morning bell, 5k yes
Killfast37, 20k yuhuh
Fumblemouse, 4k you betcha
muffin 5k reademanweep

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here's a :toxx: for 5k of delicious wordsnot by 30 April, 2359 PST.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capntastic posted:

^^^ Haha, look at this "I'll do the bare minimum" guy up there ^^^

He's very old don't taunt the aged :coolfish:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

:toxx: for 10k words this month.

I'm writing a self-help book for people with splinters.

If it's PULL IT OUT IDIOT repeated 2500 times you might have problems finding a publisher? Idk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Says the fogey that forgot to add me to the signup list.

your mum is a signup list

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Make sure you ask one of the nursing home attendants to set an alarm clock so you can wake up on April 2930th and write five thousand words.

k

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I've spoken to Mojo a little for my writing plans this year, and I may as well make this clear for everybody.

Rather than a single novel, I'm planning to write a fuckton of shorts and submit them to magazines. Partly because I already wrote a goon-group novel in 2013 (I'm the only one who didn't blow their WAD) and partly because I'm a poor student again and could use the beer money. Same wordcounts apply to me. Mojo agrees that this is acceptable.

I might actually start as of April. I had 2k written up by the 12th but then my laptop decided it hated my guts and wanted me dead, so now I have an openoffice document that took 20 minutes to open and when I did, all the text was replaced with #########################################################################. I guess I'm starting in April too.

5K. I'll be trying to submit at the end of each month. If anybody knows places that are paying for shorts, throw them at me. C'mon bitches, let's rumble.

dude gdocs

gggggggggggggggooooooogledoooooooooooooooooooocs

unrelatedly, i'm not the boss of this place; the only rules are that you need to toxx to post a pledge and it needs to be at least 4k new words for the month.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 1, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

Silly, stupid question from a sillh, stupid man: Can entries written for the Thunderdome count? I'm thinking of entering, but I need to know so I can adjust my word pledge accordingly. If they do count, then I need to raise it significantly.

New words, is the idea. I think we probably need to rule out chucking in old tdome pieces to make up the numbers otherwise everyone will do it. OTOH if you want to expand a 1k dome story into 5k that's fine.

Don't try and rules lawyer this imo, just write, or don't.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

angel opportunity posted:

4,700 words, nearly at the goal length for the weak-willed no risk noobs itt

its the long walk not the long jog systran some of us have bad knees

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hammer Bro. posted:

Wait, you can do that? I wrote like a thousand words, then threw half of 'em away, rewrote five hundred more, and don't like reading them either.

Maybe I'll just stick to writing the interesting bits as they pop into my head then arrange them into some kind of vaguely-chronological order on the 30th. Semi-short stories don't need that frivolous stuff like context and logical progression, right?

On a related note, how kosher is it to hit the word count by the deadline but not have a complete story? Are we talking savory no-one-else-is-forced-to-read-it brisket, or overcooked and difficult-to-swallow pork chop?

noone cares, tbh. This is a toxx-rod for people who want to pick it up and apply it to their rear end; but be aware angel opportunity/systran is the designated Toxxecutioner so attempts to soft-pedal your effort might be unwise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

you are literally a dog's butthole. i bet your cute dog just sniffs you all day long being like "who is that." when you write a story it looks like poop. everytime u try to hold a pen it just goes up into you, because you are a butthole.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sure.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've read my 15k of antipodean cyber punk noir and decided it's basically OK so now I'm all good to start writing tomorrow so that's p good imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martello posted:

holy gently caress is this bucket list

because if so

holy poo poo :fap:

Yes! 500 words and climbing like a raddled cliché Pacific Island PI climbing a ladder towards the end of the book it's a p long ladder and he really needs a piss

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i am at 532/5000 and going strong

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Are we going to have a new thread for May?

Yes indeed, I'm gonna be away from the internet though around then so if someone else can volunteer to put it up that would be awesome. Bonus points for terrible month puns.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

Might I suggest a new thread for editing? Sure, it's one thing to write 5k or 50k or 500k, but that's all just random hunks of marble waiting to be carved. We already have NaNoWriMo -- why not NaNoEdMo instead?

Do it if you want to, you don't need a permission slip.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah...I agree, so please send me your documents to check wordcounts.

Thanks for taking this on systran, and yeah checking is appropriate to the standard of 'yep looks fine'. Timezone per OP is PST coz imma need every minute

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doesn't sound like it?

Seb needs to be in charge of this instead of me since he made the thread.

If we were all adults, we would just write without having to toxx. I don't really get what the point of this thread is if we don't have to prove we did something.

Dude/ttes.

Work with me here.

There does need to be some kind of certification, because otherwise the whole thing is pointless. At some point a pm has to be sent, and a mod has to be convinced that a goon made a promise and failed to meet it, and someone has to be banned. That needs to be a clear line, so no extensions.

If you really really don't want to be sending draft stuff out then link a gdoc in irc then turn off sharing once it's been looked at or something, I don't actually care, but we need a list of people who signed up and then to cross names off as they make their toxx and pm whoever is left on 1 May to the mods fer banning'.

It's ok to nut this stuff out here, because I'm gonna be posting these for at least 12 months for whoever wants to participate so we might as well get the messy details sorted up front.

Systran agreed to be the toxx enforcer out of kindness and his own particular brand of mildly psychotic whimsy so please don't make it hard for him. However I'll do it this month as per above (including banning myself if I don't write 4k in the next 24 hours, ggn), and we can discuss April's Long Walk next month.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 29, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Screaming Idiot posted:

Write, you beautiful motherfuckers! Write! If we lose folks like Seb and Crabrock, the CC circlejerk crew will fall apart!

bbbbbut the ~agenda~

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Logged in my toxx diary, which is bound in manflesh/used dental floss.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have written the last 2700 words of this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cpoy91CQJ6wrpm8FIC4C7aR2WaZiF-12kRcfxk3V4M4/edit and have around 2300 to go.

I'm heading up North in about 18 hours so I'll post by then. Because of that the Toxx check will occur an unspecified period after deadline, so you may have a little leeway on this one. Best not to count on it tho.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rated 1, no werewolves

(well done)

e: added successful postings to OP, let me know if I missed you.

Seeing as this is the first Long Walk, I'm likely to be away from internet for a coupla days and I don't actually want to have to ban anyone there'll be a little leeway in the line in the sand being drawn; probably 2 May PST, evening sometime (though no promises). Should you desperately want to get banned at 0000 PST 1 May then pm Humboldt Squid and I'm sure he'll oblige.

ee: oh and hey lookit that https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AMszdYLLPYVJ_1bGo7Kv3jNWCNJWCfK9_3Yfn65kGSo/edit?usp=sharing

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mods! Ban chthonic bell, the failure!

Done. Come back soon CB.

• Locked thread