Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

sebmojo posted:

Here's a :toxx: for 5k of delicious wordsnot by 30 April, 2359 PST.

Indubitably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

^^^ Haha, look at this "I'll do the bare minimum" guy up there ^^^

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I guess I can submit to that with a slightly modified version of my thing

Edit: Which I'm making progress on for real

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

crabrock posted:

man, writing a little bit, even if it's only once every few weeks, really adds up after a while.

That's pretty neat; I am bad with spreadsheets, how did you set that up?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Thanks!

Edit: Made the mistake of having too many ideas today. Will need to focus on one thing before trying to write a different thing.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

SH is probing minds and engraving our sins into a radioactive slab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

If we're counting TD stuff add 1.3k to that.

AFTER ACTION REPORT FOR MONTH ONE:

Most of what I've done is tried to sketch out the one major scene that each chapter hangs on.

The hardest part for me was getting past the prep work of structuring a much longer work than I'm accustomed to. All sorts of cool flashes of "oh man I can really polish this motif and that subtext and have all these connections" ended up dragging me down, solely because I was putting together a very complex web rather than, you know, jamming words out. Sitting down and opening the text file was the most valuable action to take. Procrastination is an obvious issue, I think many people here would agree. Worldbuilding is easy and fun, but textbuilding is where the action is.

I had to keep on myself that I can always go back and make things more clear, and that getting a rough draft to even work on at a later date was more important.

As an aside, a personal goal I've set for myself is to use Scrivener's tools to make an objective effort to ensure every portion of the story has a clearly defined obstacle. Anyone who's read my TD stuff knows that my conflicts are almost always introspective intangible watery things that have no real power to them. I'm make a conscious effort to slam past that.

• Locked thread