Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

We were watching Overman King Gainer in the Clawshrimpy thread, but due to problems it had to die. That doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy watching some anime together, sharing our opinions, and having a good time with friends though!

Let's finish up the show from where Shrimpy was (episode 15 IIRC) and then vote on something new to watch! I suggest Brain Powerd :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

First post. Hell yeah!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd suggest Dougram, but you don't want to shoot that load too early. Vifam, Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28 and Zambot or Daitarn would all be fun thoug.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Overman King Gainer is nice. More people should watch that and not stop at the extremely catchy opening sequence.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Adette beat up a bunch of dudes in a barfight so now they've formed a militia and made her the leader.

And now they're raiding a secret base for weapons.

She is the best character.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Adette rules.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I just spent a stupid amount of money ordering the King Gainer manga in French, because I sort of understand the language from high school and being in Paris for a while (way better than I'd understand Japanese anyway) and it's the only way I can read this ridiculously well drawn manga all the way to its conclusion.

Also Adette's outfit is way less revealing in the manga despite it being drawn by a very popular hentai artist.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I keep trying to watch Eureka 7 because I hear it's great and I never watched it before but the first episode keeps putting me to sleep. Can anyone cure this malady for me?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm glad that thread was created because now I'm watching through Overman King Gainer and it's pretty awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

I keep trying to watch Eureka 7 because I hear it's great and I never watched it before but the first episode keeps putting me to sleep. Can anyone cure this malady for me?
the first few eps are p. boring.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Broniki posted:

I just spent a stupid amount of money ordering the King Gainer manga in French, because I sort of understand the language from high school and being in Paris for a while (way better than I'd understand Japanese anyway) and it's the only way I can read this ridiculously well drawn manga all the way to its conclusion.

Also Adette's outfit is way less revealing in the manga despite it being drawn by a very popular hentai artist.

Who's the very popular hentai artist though???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pewdiepie posted:

Who's the very popular hentai artist though???

According to wikipedia, Yoshihiro Nakamura.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

the first few all of the eps are p. boring.

I think you miscounted a bit.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Kiyoshirou Inoue is the pen name for his adult work. Nakamura Yoshihiro is presumably his real name and what he goes with in the Gainer manga, as well as the anime where he's credited with design work alongside Kinu Nishimura and Ken'ichi Yoshida. Tomino recruited him after saying "your art is like an onryo (vengeful ghost), join me." While working on Gainer he absorbed the influences of Nishimura and Yoshida and evolved into a sick artist in his own right, which is why the Gainer manga looks so good.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah sorry guy trying to watch eureka 7 but it's awful plodding garbage and you should just not watch it

remembering zorak call it "peak mecha" makes me laugh every time. what a chode

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Paper Lion posted:

yeah sorry guy trying to watch eureka 7 but it's awful plodding garbage and you should just not watch it

You're even worse than clawshrimpy. My god.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Paper Lion posted:

Yeah I never got the intense love for Eureka 7 either. I mean I've definitely seen worse but it doesn't do a goddamn thing for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people have different tastes and opinions, dangan ronpa avatar man

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Endorph posted:

people have different tastes and opinions, dangan ronpa avatar man

Uh yeah, I was just saying I didn't connect with it the way others did and thus don't get it. Don't know why you're acting like I was being a jerk about it.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im mad down on this, i also watched eureka 7 about 8ish years ago and enjoyed it but still haven't rewatched it (mazinger and maybe getter robo are peak mecha but im biased)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

You're even worse than clawshrimpy. My god.

Plodding is a good description, actually.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Srice posted:

Plodding is a good description, actually.

much like youre poasting

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

much like youre poasting

T....thanks??

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think Eureka seven is pretty good, but I think people overhype the love story. It's not that good guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno it's pretty cute and doesn't end up with one of them dying/disappearing so they can have a perfect spiritual connection forever or whatever so it puts it above a lot of other stuff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gauli is the worst character in King Gainer by far. I just wanted to say that now that it wouldn't spoil anything for Shrimpy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want to watch anime with you stupid nerds

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Remember when the robot punched that other robot.

Wasn't that super rad???

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i want to watch anime with you stupid nerds

I think for that the thread would need more organization than just "Hey let's watch this thing" like a simulwatch or somethin'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Even if you give it credit for nothing else, Eureka 7 is remarkable for being the only Bones anime from that era with an actual ending. The first arc is by far the worst so if you're on the fence at the beginning I would keep watching, but if you hate it and can't imagine how anyone could ever like it there are lots of other shows.

e: Also the score is really good.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 2, 2015

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The idea behind this one is to just get folks watching/finishing Gainer even though Shrimpy is gone. It's still a good show and I'd like the people that were or had just started it due to that thread to have a place to be able to talk about it. Assume one episode a day like the other one, this thread only needs to be around for about 2 weeks to get the episodes through and then vote on a new show.

Also all you nerds saying E7 is a good show should watch Brain Powerd because it deals with similar themes of love, growing up, family/motherhood, a return to nature and distrust of authority, but in half the time and far more entertainingly. I also cannot stress enough that Jonathan is one of the greatest anime characters of all time, and it's also a rare case of Dub being superior to Sub.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Johnathan and the Baron are okay but the rest of the BP cast is pretty meh. Meanwhile E7 has a very strong cast, but they're very divisive so I can understand why they wouldn't work for a lot of people.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Did you watch it in english? I can't imagine you heard his voice performance in english and thought "meh"

EDIT especially in his focus episode with the hostages and his delivery of HUGE SPOILERS I NEVER GOT A CHRISTMAS PRESENNNTTTTTTTTTTT

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The bit in spoilers is, yes, one of Tomino's finest characterization moments IMO. I just don't think it elevates Jonny over the entirety of E7. :shrug:

I rarely watch dubs since getting either dub or sub takes about the same effort. Nowadays I kind of regret that since I can imagine dubs improving the Happy Tomino experience.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Positronic robots or bust.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

positronic robots with busts

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

positronic robots with busts

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hate to sound like Clawshrimpy here, but what was the point of the fight in episode 4?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

tsob posted:

I'd suggest Dougram, but you don't want to shoot that load too early.

Nah, Dougram owns and you should all watch it.

I really hoped to see Clawshrimpy's thoughts on it, however. I had hopes for that thread. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I hate to sound like Clawshrimpy here, but what was the point of the fight in episode 4?

It was a way to try and reintegrate Gainer into society

• Locked thread