Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
No one is using this argument to try and get Tony Abbott to change tack, he doesn't actually believe in his stated goals so trying to engage him on them is pointless. It is about making more people realise what a loving damaging clown Tony Abbott is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gough Suppressant posted:

And I think that that is something worth attempting to draw attention to. Your position seems to be that hypocrisy shouldn't be pointed out if the person never had any intentions to be anything other than hypocritical in the first place.

People not pointing out that the stated positions and actual goals of politicians don't match up is how we got to such a loving dismal state of politics in the first place.

Oh feel free to have as many articles about the hypocrisy of politicians as you like. It's a well that will never run dry. However, this article is just attempted segue to a topic dear to The Drum.

No one is using this argument to try and get Tony Abbott to change tack, he doesn't actually believe in his stated goals so trying to engage him on them is pointless. It is about making more people realise what a loving damaging clown Tony Abbott is.

Well if writing crap ("Bali 9: our selective compassion has come undone") is good for the cause no surprise to see The Drum getting on board.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

And you're only 1400% over represented in fatalities based on kilometres travelled.

True, but Recordial forgot the most important part of riding a motorcycle: it's cool.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Graic Gabtar posted:

Oh feel free to have as many articles about the hypocrisy of politicians as you like. It's a well that will never run dry. However, this article is just attempted segue to a topic dear to The Drum.

Well if writing crap ("Bali 9: our selective compassion has come undone") is good for the cause no surprise to see The Drum getting on board.

What on earth are you talking about?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
motorbikes are the way of the future just ask any pedestrian in Hanoi

because 80 people on motorbikes is a far more efficient use of resources than one bus

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

What on earth are you talking about?

It's best not to question Craig. Or interact with him at all really

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

if you are seriously advocating greater motorcycle use in Australia please remember you are literally asking a developed country to be more like Cambodia

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's like why people bother responding to you. They are pointing out your lovely reasoning because doing so adds to the public discourse. They recognise that they won't change your mind, mostly because you don't actually believe the positions you hold.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Not that Australia has nothing to learn from south east asia, but in terms of urban transportation, having literally a million dudes on motorbikes is less than optimal.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Negligent posted:

Not that Australia has nothing to learn from south east asia, but in terms of urban transportation, having literally a million dudes on motorbikes is less than optimal.

drat straight we could.

wasting an entire motorbike just to carry one, or at most two people. Such a bloody waste. Seriously the amount of people a decent bike to can carry after you attach a side car is pretty ridiculous.

There is some safety issues to consider though. Looking up road safety stats for developing countries is usually a very depressingly bad idea.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Negligent posted:

Not even Cambodians want to live in Cambodia.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/as-refugees-set-to-arrive-for-resettling-cambodians-keep-leaving-20150430-1mwhm8.html

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

dr_rat posted:

Looking up road safety stats for developing countries is usually a very depressingly bad idea. [/spoiler]

Among many contributing factors: They almost always have poorly developed roads, in many cases non-existent street lighting and poor emergency response which all adds to the list of injuries and fatalities in these developing countries with high levels of motorcycle use.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

freebooter posted:

True, but Recordial forgot the most important part of riding a motorcycle: it's cool.

Yeah haha I figured I was already coming across quite smugly, so I didn't bother mentioning how great it makes you feel etc, and how cool it is in general lol.

Carry on everyone.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Jesus guys it's not that hard to wrap your head around. 2 wheelers are cheap and convenient, and have less of an impact on pollution, traffic and parking. On the other hand you are statistically more likely to be smashed to a pulp, no avoiding that.

They aren't meant to be an alternative to public transport, they should be an alternative to having another car on the road. Especially now when more people live alone and dont need a car to ferry around a family etc..

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A 110c Honda wave is perfectly good family transport for up to four people. Who needs a Commodore?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Bring back the horse and cart.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

ur progressie hide was saved by the skin of its teeth....their noble buddhism/hindoo majesty has been presered by implication....thank the lord (shiva)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Who wants to sit around waiting for the bus when you could be riding your own motorbike?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
You don't mention how much nicer it is to be in a sealed vehicle when the weather is bad.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

A raincoat costs less than a dollar.

#firstworldproblems

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

It's like why people bother responding to you. They are pointing out your lovely reasoning because doing so adds to the public discourse. They recognise that they won't change your mind, mostly because you don't actually believe the positions you hold.

Hey I'm always up for a reasonable chat and to be (occasionally) convinced otherwise. However, this whole "lovely reasoning"/I know what you really believe malarkey is basically auspol for "doesn't agree with us" so that's kind of meh to be honest. Kind of up there with the whole, "Don't talk to him! For the love of Gods don't talk to him!" thing you guys have if someone strays from the group think.

Anyway, it's poo poo article is my point of view and you're welcome to your own on it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
death to graic *is agianst death penaltty*

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Actually with the lovely AUD a raincoat cost fractionally more then a dollar but still represents good value compared to getting soaked

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Orkin Mang posted:

death to graic *is agianst death penaltty*

The piss penalty.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hey I'm always up for a reasonable chat and to be (occasionally) convinced otherwise. However, this whole "lovely reasoning"/I know what you really believe malarkey is basically auspol for "doesn't agree with us" so that's kind of meh to be honest. Kind of up there with the whole, "Don't talk to him! For the love of Gods don't talk to him!" thing you guys have if someone strays from the group think.

Anyway, it's poo poo article is my point of view and you're welcome to your own on it.

ur right in every questionthat doesnt ahve to do with moral feeling. u are unlearned inthe art of sympathy

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

"An advanced city is not one where the poor can drive around in a car but one where the rich use public transport"

Well, cya.

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!
Has anyone noticed that people on social media who have been going on about how people should focus on the earthquake in Nepal or homelessness in Australia (for example) instead of the Bali executions are the same people that clearly also don't give a toss about the earthquake in Nepal or homelessness in Australia?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I commute on flying reindeers
fygm

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

I commute on flying reindeers
fygm

Yeah but you had to move to the North Pole due to being on a registry in every country.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Yeah but you had to move to the North Pole due to being on a registry in every country.

noice

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

KILLED WEARING HIS FOOTY JERSEY

Still managed to find a way to work NRL into the front page.

Also the two finger salute is kind of strange because it's really a British insult. I guess a one finger salute on the front page would have been too offensive... (though personally I find the Courier offensive enough already)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If he was a real Aussie he would have died with a falafel in his hand

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Pred1ct posted:

They aren't meant to be an alternative to public transport, they should be an alternative to having another car on the road. Especially now when more people live alone and dont need a car to ferry around a family etc..

This is the main reason why I switched back to riding a motorbike after changing jobs and losing my company car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
New thread because you all suck and didn't give me a choice: Auspol May.

• Locked thread