Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Also laughing at Barnaby on TV calling for a 'discussion' on the death penalty in Australia.

..what? Is there a quote for this? Is he seriously suggesting we implement it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Also laughing at Barnaby on TV calling for a 'discussion' on the death penalty in Australia.

I for one, am for Barnaby Joyce to be put to death. I propose he kills his are self.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Wasn't there already a conversation about the death penalty back in the 60s? It seems like a waste of time anyway, it doesn't have a great deal of support in this country.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics/2009/08/28/our-changing-views-on-the-death-penalty/

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Barnaby Joyce quote strikes me as odd. On the one hand it points to his being against the death penalty, but on the other he's asking for a debate about it.

Is he faking his opposition to the death penalty because of his position? Or does he want to use debate to convince those who are for the death penalty of the reasons why it's a bad thing?

Or is his opposition flexible and prone to being convinced otherwise?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Wasn't there already a conversation about the death penalty back in the 60s? It seems like a waste of time anyway, it doesn't have a great deal of support in this country.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics/2009/08/28/our-changing-views-on-the-death-penalty/

What happened around 89, 95?
I figure 89 was to execute bankers, but port arthur was 96.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Amoeba102 posted:

What happened around 89, 95?
I figure 89 was to execute bankers, but port arthur was 96.

The dip around 90 is when Vanilla Ice was at his most popular.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
TERRORISTS :byodame:

WA Today posted:

The Abbott government quietly scrapped an instruction to the Australian Federal Police last year requiring it to take Australia's opposition to the death penalty into account when co-operating with overseas law enforcement agencies.
The 2010 ministerial direction said the minister expected the AFP to "take account of the government's long-standing opposition to the application of the death penalty, in performing its international liaison functions".

This was the first time such an instruction had been included in a ministerial direction to the AFP.
When Labor introduced the instruction in 2010, Philip Ruddock - who was attorney general at the time of the Bali nine arrests - said it was "very problematic" and could stop the AFP co-operating with Indonesian police to prevent potential terrorist attacks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Let's just keep in mind that most elected officials will do everything in there power to stay elected. They will say and do whatever they think their voting base want to hear on any particular issue.

They will happily contradict themselves by saying one thing and implementing another.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

The Barnaby Joyce quote strikes me as odd. On the one hand it points to his being against the death penalty, but on the other he's asking for a debate about it.

Is he faking his opposition to the death penalty because of his position? Or does he want to use debate to convince those who are for the death penalty of the reasons why it's a bad thing?

it appears he is against it, but is concerned about the number of Australians who are vocally in favour of it.
so probably the bolded.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The death penalty was abolished in spite of public opinion and is one of the few examples of our elitist system leading to a positive outcome.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Murodese posted:

Who was it that worked for the AEC? Got a question I need to ask, some vote counts are missing.

I used to work for the WAEC, but I don't think I'm the one you're thinking of! Feel free to chuck me a PM though.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The Age posted:

Daniel Andrews announces second river crossing freeway cost $5b to be built by 2020

A new freeway connecting the West Gate freeway to City Link, the port and the city is on the political agenda after a surprise announcement from the Andrews government.

Premier Daniel Andrews has revealed that the government is considering a proposal by Transurban to create a long-awaited second river crossing alternative to the West Gate bridge.

Mr Andrews said the $5-to-$5.5 billion proposal would generate a return of $1.60 for every $1 invested. If accepted the plan will start at the end if this year and be completed by 2020. Mr Andrews said it would generate 3500 new construction jobs.

Sixty "lane kilometres" of new road will be added to the network and the West Gate freeway will be widened with five kilometres of tunnel.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/daniel-andrews-announces-second-river-crossing-freeway-cost-5b-to-be-built-by-2020-20150430-1mwm4j.html

The contract negotiations are going to be interesting.

Not a word of complaint if the Opposition campaigns on a "tear up the contract" platform.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QUACKTASTIC posted:

if there was a vote to reinstate the death penalty i bet australians would vote in favour of it with a strong majority. the rare time it ever comes up to people i talk to theyre usually either undecided or in favour of it for things like murder and rape

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Les Affaires posted:

He's hedging his bets so he can have a foot in both camps. Just like how most politicians are of course in favour of marriage equality and would love to do something about it but we have to respect the bigots.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

The contract negotiations are going to be interesting.

Not a word of complaint if the Opposition campaigns on a "tear up the contract" platform.

Why does this country have such a hard-on for motorways all of a sudden?

Some of the articles that have been doing the rounds over the past few days:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/apr/28/end-of-the-car-age-how-cities-outgrew-the-automobile

quote:

End of the car age: how cities are outgrowing the automobile

Cities around the world are coming to the same conclusion: they’d be better off with far fewer cars. So what’s behind this seismic shift in our urban lifestyles? Stephen Moss goes on an epic (car-free) journey to find out

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/committee-for-sydneys-tim-williams-slams-road-building-plans-for-city-20150429-1mv3vq.html

quote:

Committee for Sydney's Tim Williams slams road building plans for city

"many other cities in the world are taking their highway capacity out and I'm just wondering, what is so different about the Australian city experience that means that they're wrong and we are right?"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because we have a complete and utter lack of imagination in our political class.

It would be nice if they were even pretending to plan for the future, I'd love to see something on this scale for an Australian city. http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2011/05/27/paris-region-moves-ahead-with-125-miles-of-new-metro-lines/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jet fuel can melt your genes

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Would it be too much for the ABC to link the actual information in question?
It's not really news that the lovely aromatic compounds you'd find in jet fuel tanks are loving nasty

my stepdads beer posted:

Why does this country have such a hard-on for motorways all of a sudden?
Gotta support our local automobile manufacturing sector!

Oh wait...

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

Because we have a complete and utter lack of imagination in our political class.

It would be nice if they were even pretending to plan for the future, I'd love to see something on this scale for an Australian city. http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2011/05/27/paris-region-moves-ahead-with-125-miles-of-new-metro-lines/

This really bothers me. There's always a huge debate around implementing infrastructure that other countries have been using successfully for decades. Doesn't matter if it's rail, bicycles, renewable energy, or the internet, there just seems to be a huge resistance against doing anything other than "more of the same". Nobody can imagine the future dividends that this infrastructure could deliver.

gently caress knows how our economy is going to be competitive going into the future.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://f111.dva.gov.au/documents/JFES_Molecular%20studies%20DesealReseal.pdf

Dunno why they needed a FOI request.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Need to get that flying cars poo poo happening.

Practical problems to overcome in public transport.

It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work which is OK, but I leave as just after 6AM so I only have to navigate manic tradies.

I've tried taking public transport. If I drive to the nearest train station it takes a hour and a half. If I didn't use the car at all you could add 15 minutes to that easily.

It's an impossible choice. Either lose productivity in a massive way by starving the road system until alternatives catch up or just carry on as we are watching the gap grow larger.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
cheers.

The ABC report isn't actually that bad a summary of the medical report.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's an impossible choice. Either lose productivity in a massive way by starving the road system until alternatives catch up or just carry on as we are watching the gap grow larger.

It's not impossible, it's just very very expensive, and we have politicians that are willing to bury projects that are just about guaranteed to make them money (like the NBN) because they have such little vision for the future.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

You should look up the WA2.0 plan that Ludlam did. It's quite good.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

It's not impossible, it's just very very expensive, and we have politicians that are willing to bury projects that are just about guaranteed to make them money (like the NBN) because they have such little vision for the future.

OK, it's an impossible choice based on our current thinking.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its because our society is built on the idea that to be something you have to had got there by yourself.

Get a job, get a car, leave home, struggle paying off your own house because renting is just leaning on someone else, do everything on your own to prove you are capable.

Public transport is seen as 'well im too poor to have my own car so I will use the governments car instead' and also full of disgusting people so yeah, people avoid it at all costs.

If I could walk 5 minutes to a train, get on the train and get to work in 40min and then walk another 5 to the office, that would be awesome. Currently its a 25min walk to the station, one train to redfern then a change to another line, and then a 10min walk. it takes longer than driving in lovely traffic and not only that, its surrounded by Australians so why wouldnt I want to sit in my car, windows up, stereo on, and no one loving drooling on me or making me sick?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
can't we just kill the boomers and start again as a real society

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Laserface posted:

Its because our society is built on the idea that to be something you have to had got there by yourself.

Get a job, get a car, leave home, struggle paying off your own house because renting is just leaning on someone else, do everything on your own to prove you are capable.

Public transport is seen as 'well im too poor to have my own car so I will use the governments car instead' and also full of disgusting people so yeah, people avoid it at all costs.

If I could walk 5 minutes to a train, get on the train and get to work in 40min and then walk another 5 to the office, that would be awesome. Currently its a 25min walk to the station, one train to redfern then a change to another line, and then a 10min walk. it takes longer than driving in lovely traffic and not only that, its surrounded by Australians so why wouldnt I want to sit in my car, windows up, stereo on, and no one loving drooling on me or making me sick?

and it costs you $30 a day

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...430-1mwl4r.html

quote:

US miner Cliffs Natural Resources says the seaborne supply of iron ore to China is a "doomed, horrible business", and declared it can't wait to finish mining in Western Australia.

Speaking after a decision to cut jobs and close one of its three iron ore pits in Western Australia, Cliffs chief executive Lourenco Goncalves said big miners like BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto were trying to scare the iron ore market into pessimism with their expansion plans, but could no longer afford those expansions.

Cliffs' Koolyanobbing operations in Western Australia made a slim profit of $0.26 per tonne during the March quarter, and the Cleveland-based company responded by reducing the remaining life of the operation from 4.5 years down to 3.5 years.

"The seaborne market is doomed, is cursed, is a place not to be in. I can't wait to get out of Australia," said Mr Goncalves.

"As soon as I get to the end of life of mine in Australia, I'm out of there ... I can't wait to get out of the seaborne trade and let the Australians take that horrible business on their own hands."

Mr Goncalves has previously criticised the iron ore expansion plans of Rio, BHP and Vale, and on Thursday said those plans were now just empty threats.

"My thesis is they are threatening a capital expansion that they are not planning to deploy ... it is a lot more of lip service and empty threats and bad advertisements," he said.

"The biggest problem for the iron ore price at this point is not even the fact that the world is being flooded with iron ore. It is the fact that the market and the press and investors are being flooded with bad information about the expansion plans of three companies."

Mr Goncalves pointed to BHP's decision last week to defer spending on iron ore expansions at Port Hedland, and said Rio and Vale would soon follow suit.

"None of the three majors can continue to support their massive capex needs without allowing the iron ore price to increase," he said.

"If they still decide to keep iron ore prices artificially low, as they have been doing so far, their advertised massive capacity increases will not materialise due to insufficient cash flow generation.

"A long story short, these big projects are not coming. When the rubber hits the road, you are going to see a lot more of these BHP decisions of postponing the de-bottlenecking project and this and that."

The comments come as Brazilian miner Vale prepares to update the market on its $US19 billion iron ore expansion plan on Friday morning.

Mr Goncalves said while the management teams at the big miners wanted to continue expanding, board members would soon find themselves struggling to justify approvals for further spending on iron ore expansions.

"I am convinced that as soon as the board members of Rio Tinto, BHP and Vale realise that they are enabling their management teams to do something that goes against their shareholders, at least one or two or three or five will get scared because their fiduciary duty is associated with that," he said.

BHP says it will still reach its expansion target of 290 million tonnes per year despite the slower pace of expansion, and Goldman Sachs said last week it expects the big miners to complete their planned expansions.

"We don't expect any of the major iron ore producers to alter plans," said Goldman Sachs in a note to clients.

Cliffs will focus on supplying North American iron ore to US steel mills once its Australian operations reach the end of their working life.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

The car or the public transport? Because in the example given it'd cap at $15 a day at worst due to daily caps.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

Need to get that flying cars poo poo happening.

Practical problems to overcome in public transport.

It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work which is OK, but I leave as just after 6AM so I only have to navigate manic tradies.

I've tried taking public transport. If I drive to the nearest train station it takes a hour and a half. If I didn't use the car at all you could add 15 minutes to that easily.

It's because you live in a place designed for the automobile. Trying to live without one is always going to be poo poo. Sydney has the population density of a wet fart so of course everyone chooses to drive everywhere and public transport barely works in most places. We built the city badly and we continue to power on - somehow believing if we stay the course everything will work out even though it hasn't for 40 years. "Just one more motorway! this one is the missing link! then traffic will be solved!".

The debate shouldn't be 'should we build roads or rail in our current city' it should be 'how can we fix our city'

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I think he meant the car.

Last time I checked it was about $1/km to drive a private car once you include parking/petrol/maintenance/depreciation
Not to mention the gigantic government subsidy on building the roads in the first place

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

The car or the public transport? Because in the example given it'd cap at $15 a day at worst due to daily caps.

I'm talking about public transport in Brisbane

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

I'm talking about public transport in Brisbane

Yikes.

I can get my weekly public transport cost for under $30. Sydney being not terrible for once.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In Perth I pay around $6/day... Or less if I am working at the office that's 2stops closer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

rego and insurance works out to $4.50 a day. I use about $80 in petrol every 10 days, and about 25-30% of that is not used getting to/from work. Even if it was all commuting to work, its still not hitting your numbers. this is less than public transport would cost and more convenient, even if its lovely sitting in traffic. adding maintenance costs isnt even going to reach your number if I was to include changing my oil, oil filter, gearbox fluid and spark plugs every 5000kms and using premium fluids (which is what the manufacturer recommends)

If you cant tell, Im a gearhead. I seriously enjoy driving, but there is nothing fun about driving in traffic and I would gladly take public transport to work and back if it was either significantly cheaper or saved me time. Unfortunately its neither of those things, in addition to other negatives, so why the gently caress would I even consider it?

poo poo Id even be happy with tripling the number of buses on the road, since we are probably too far gone to ever expand Sydneys' rail network in any meaningful way. No one will get behind it though because public transport doesnt appeal to the general public.

I loved Tokyos rail network and how easy it was getting around while I was there, and didnt need to rely on a car at all (OK so one taxi because the trains were finished at 2am on a Tuesday). If we had something like that in place, I would be on it for the bulk of my transportation needs.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
if you support public transport, are white and wealthy you can just live in perth anywhere along the fremantle rail line. you can go to and from work in the company of other lovely, environmentally conscious middle class white people and circlejerk each other all the way from north freo to east perth, with nary a person of colour in sight.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Laserface posted:

rego and insurance works out to $4.50 a day. I use about $80 in petrol every 10 days, and about 25-30% of that is not used getting to/from work.

Annual tyre change at ~$600 is another $2/day
how much your car cost? 40k? How much will it be worth in 5years? $20k? That's another $11/day.

Counting it as a sunk cost and ignoring those costs for your commute is dishonest when making this argument.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
literally every suburb along the fremantle rail line has a higher average income than the australian mean so fear not white people, you will not have to rub shoulders with poors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Negligent posted:

if you support public transport, are white and wealthy you can just live in perth anywhere along the fremantle rail line. you can go to and from work in the company of other lovely, environmentally conscious middle class white people and circlejerk each other all the way from north freo to east perth, with nary a person of colour in sight.

Truly wealthy people will purchase along the train line and then continue to drive to work.

• Locked thread